Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Quite the drop in battery life compared to everything else I've been playing on it.

JazzFlight posted:

I limited Cloudpunk to 40 fps and I don’t think the battery drain was that bad. Maybe try adjusting some quality settings too?

I'll have to try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

3DS on Deck is great but I wish there was a way to manually position/size each of the two windows.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

shrike82 posted:

the glare on my 256GB screen was distracting even indoors that i ended up getting a matte screen protector

not a reason to go 512GB, just a fyi about matte protectors

Which did you get?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's a bit technical but it turns out it is possible to copy over a save file from some non-Steam version of at least some games in a manner that is picked up by the Steam Deck and synced to the cloud.

Even auto-populates appropriate achievements.

It does involve finding the source save/config files and copying them to the appropriate place within /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ -- something that's going to be a little different on a per-game basis.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

jokes posted:

3DS on Deck is great but I wish there was a way to manually position/size each of the two windows.

You can though? At least with citra you can use custom layout options:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Citra/comments/afsq4a/various_custom_screen_layouts/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh poo poo!! Thanks for the tip!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's a bit technical but it turns out it is possible to copy over a save file from some non-Steam version of at least some games in a manner that is picked up by the Steam Deck and synced to the cloud.

It does involve finding the source save/config files and copying them to the appropriate place within /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ -- something that's going to be a little different on a per-game basis.

Unless the developer made two different save versions (very unlikely) you can do this for any game. Steam Cloud just syncs the files, nothing more nothing less.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do you know if this works with the witcher 3 gog edition?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

DoubleT2172 posted:

Which did you get?

https://www.amazon.com/Magglass-Tempered-Designed-Protector-Anti-Glare/dp/B09X82S4XL

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know how to get controller support working in XCOM 2?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

kdrudy posted:

Well, like others it sounds, my Q3 (July - September) reservation came up last night so that was a nice surprise, have mine ordered

It seems like it's going faster. A week ago the orders up until mine were 11% done, now it's almost 20%.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Uh yeah, either they just shipped out way more than 2x of the previous shipment, or the order density dropoff was much sharper than expected after the first hour.

The US 512GB queue seems to have abruptly moved from 1 hour 16 minutes to 2 hours 5 minutes

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 3, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Mine arrived today and I got 2 unexpected days off from work so now I can fiddle around with it all day tomorrow.

I'm extremely happy with it so far (though I had a few minutes of feeling uncomfortable holding it at first that scared me, once I got used to it it started feeling really good).

Of course now the problem is "What, out of the near infinite supply of games out there, do I play?" I played through Aperture Desk Job first thing, which was a great little valve thing, then started dabbling around in Bioshock 2, Guacamelee (I've been holding off playing this game for a portable device for years, for some reason), Metal Gear Solid V (I had a rough time with this at first which was making me worried, but I think if I go back to it I'll get used to it again. I was also on a particularly annoying mission).

Anyway, yeah this thing rules, and I just took a job where I should get some down time to use it at work, so I'm pretty hyped.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Uh yeah, either they just shipped out way more than 2x of the previous shipment, or the order density dropoff was much sharper than expected after the first hour.

The US 512GB queue seems to have abruptly moved from 1 hour 16 minutes to 2 hours 5 minutes

There's still a long way to go for anyone who isn't in the first day though:

You have 339 days, 06 hours, 17 minutes and 03 seconds of orders to go until it is your turn

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

caldrax posted:

Of course now the problem is "What, out of the near infinite supply of games out there, do I play?"

This should be the thread title because it’s the perpetual question.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Steam Deck: Infinite Games, What Do I Play?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For real though what should I play on my deck

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2K launcher can suck my fuckin rear end

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Crystal project is really good.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

jokes posted:

The Disney Afternoon Collection

Ducktales! Woo-ooo!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Crystal project is really good.

One of the best Deck games, but I gotta play something different sometime. I wish Vermintide 2 worked on deck.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

jokes posted:

One of the best Deck games, but I gotta play something different sometime. I wish Vermintide 2 worked on deck.

Children of Morta, Hand of Fate 2, Filament, and Yooka Laylee all work great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best Deck game is whatever game you feel like playing for the most part, not some random game another person felt like playing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unless it's XCOM 2, which I am just gonna delete cause screw this it's unplayable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The best Deck game is whatever game you feel like playing for the most part, not some random game another person felt like playing.

drat FR??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm playing Prey rn on a drat handheld and it runs way better than it does on my PS5 which is pretty amazing, but you ask the thread and people are like "here's some anime pixel art JRPG it's very much the perfect thing to play" and I'm thinking it's fine they like that, but I'd rather eat a turd than play that thing I'm playing COD at 60fps at high settings on this portable which is fuckin wild.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I just can't play any FPS with a controller unfortunately.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

veni veni veni posted:

Unless it's XCOM 2, which I am just gonna delete cause screw this it's unplayable.

drat, I was hoping to play it on Deck.

What makes it unplayable? It literally won't run? Bad controller support?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone know how to get controller support working in XCOM 2?

I tried this when I first got the Deck, one of the community layouts does it perfectly, but is buried under so many ones that have something off about them.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

drat, I was hoping to play it on Deck.

What makes it unplayable? It literally won't run? Bad controller support?

For me it’s the ui, it’s just way too tiny to see comfortably and I don’t want to be constantly messing with the magnifier.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looks like they sacrificed the EU queue to do it, because that one has leveled off now

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

jokes posted:

Vampire Survivors is the best Steam Deck game ever and it’s three dollars

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Pirate Jet posted:

Vampire Survivors is the best Steam Deck game ever and it’s three dollars

Is there something I'm missing in configuration somewhere? I started playing a bit of VS on my deck and the gameplay turns into a slideshow by around the 20 minute mark when my weapon builds are more or less fully online and the enemy density gets large. VS goes into some kind of frame skip mode where the Deck is still reporting 60 FPS but the game itself appears to only be displaying single-digit framerates.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Olesh posted:

Is there something I'm missing in configuration somewhere? I started playing a bit of VS on my deck and the gameplay turns into a slideshow by around the 20 minute mark when my weapon builds are more or less fully online and the enemy density gets large. VS goes into some kind of frame skip mode where the Deck is still reporting 60 FPS but the game itself appears to only be displaying single-digit framerates.

I think they're still working on a new engine to combat late game performance issues.

its normal for VS, even on PC

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's a performance indicator and shows that you're playing the game right.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

jokes posted:

Guilty Gear Strive

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The ten seconds I saw of Vampire Survivors looked like a bullet hell. Would it be closer to mindless action or mindful action?

Audax posted:

Do you know if this works with the witcher 3 gog edition?

I don't but in my computer experience GoG versions are usually the same as Steam versions without DRM.

As someone else pointed out it's very unlikely that the devs would change the save file format; that'd be extra work for no purpose.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s a bullet hell for the enemies, not for you

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some of the later and bonus levels aren't necessarily mindless. You have to be pretty intentional with your character's build and there's a decent amount of movement involved in the game, especially once you unlock a few weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Tamba posted:

Looks like they sacrificed the EU queue to do it, because that one has leveled off now

how are you guys checking this? I'm curious what mine is at.