Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That doesn't mean it wasn't bad. It was and is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dabir posted:

counterpoint: suck my dick

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lol it's just a game dude, no need to get steamed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shinjobi posted:

People, including myself, were nuts for Sonic Adventure 1. Yes, people complained about the cameras then too. But overall people were blown away by it initially.

Playing it now, the game is a loving buggy mess with an awful camera and just generally not very good but also you turn Super Sonic and run on water to kill the giant water monster while OPEN YOUR HEEEEEART is playing and it's like oh gently caress yeah

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sonic Adventure came out during the games industry's awkward puberty where 3D games were starting to become a serious thing but no one had really established how to do it well yet. A lot of games from that era are full of awkward jank but got away with it because they were still the best you could get at the time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sonic adventure has some good ideas and a few good levels but is mostly very bad

except the chao gardens which fuckin rule

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic adventure has good levels and bad levels

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Like every Sonic

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I would still consider Speed Highway to be a functionally perfect Sonic level, it worked to the strengths of the engine perfectly and it's still great now.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SA1 is comparable to Sonic 1, it's rough and definitely not perfect but there's a lot of good in it. However Sonic 2006 is S3&K in this analogy so maybe it's not a good one

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

He’s right

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

SA1 is comparable to Sonic 1, it's rough and definitely not perfect but there's a lot of good in it. However Sonic 2006 is S3&K in this analogy so maybe it's not a good one

Sonic Adventure 2 is Sonic 2, so this tracks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Chillgamesh posted:

no, sonic 2006 is sonic cd and it's a perfect analogy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Thought Heroes was CD because Metal is in it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic heroes is sonic chaotix actually

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

Thought Heroes was CD because Metal is in it

either work since they are equally terrible to each other and to sonic cd

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sonic adventure has good levels and bad levels

Yeah, the game as a whole definitely has its ups and downs and parts of it feel better than others. Sonic's campaign is definitely the most solid overall (Though there are aspects of it that haven't aged super great. Looking at you, camera.) I think the multiple-character set-up ends up being one of its big weaknesses as the quality tends to really vary between the different gameplay styles and even some of the better non-Sonic campaigns end up being so short they feel half-baked.

Tenebrais posted:

Sonic Adventure came out during the games industry's awkward puberty where 3D games were starting to become a serious thing but no one had really established how to do it well yet. A lot of games from that era are full of awkward jank but got away with it because they were still the best you could get at the time.

Yeah, that's the big point I'm really getting at: Sonic Adventure was pioneering in a lot of respects when it first came out, but it also came out when 3D platformers were still in their relative infancy and was kind of pushing in a direction not many other 3D platformers were at the time. I think that the 2D Genesis games hold up better over all, but a lot of that is because they came in the tail-end of the 2D platformer era and so had the advantage of working within a genre that had an established history behind it. And I also don't think it holds up quite as well from a gameplay perspective as some of its contemporaries like Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie, but I think that's because those ones were a lot more about just platforming as opposed to the speed platforming Sonic Adventure was trying to pioneer.

In conclusion, Sonic Adventure is a land of contrasts

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s suffered from Sega’s boneheaded decision to just put one analog stick on the Dreamcast controller

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

It’s suffered from Sega’s boneheaded decision to just put one analog stick on the Dreamcast controller

to be fair they probably didn't have the money for a second analog stick by the time dreamcast came out

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1543065687467274240

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That guy is alright

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Death of the author, motherfucker

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's right in every translation it's hydro city.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ACKSHUALLY

Here’s a better idea: let’s not go ahead and bother the people who localized this game decades ago with idiotic questions

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why can’t we all just get along

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hatty posted:

Why can’t we all just get along

hyd NO city :colbert:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dabir posted:

Oh? It’s just a game, huh? Tell that to my chao who died when my rear end in a top hat friend threw them against the wall. Yeah, I’m sure it was just a game to all those innocent quasi-anime people who died when Perfect Chaos caused the Sonic world’s Hurricane Katrina. The myriad tears shed to the ending E-102 Gamma’s story? Just another game to you.
You sick gently caress.

What the gently caress, I asked him about it in Japanese before and he never responded… This is some serious bullshit. Naoto Oshima would never ignore me like that

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The official name is Hydro City but the locals call it Hydrocity.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I don't pronounce it "hy-draw-city" because I think that's the way the developers intended, I pronounce it that way because it sounds cooler!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a city in Arizona called Prescott, which is a Hydrocity situation. Out of state, people say "Press Scott." The locals call it "Press Kit".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

have they considered pronouncing it correctly, as "Prescott"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dabir posted:

it was, and is, good.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

yuji naka is a shitheel, all the more reason to all the more reason to be on team hydrocity

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a city in Arizona called Prescott, which is a Hydrocity situation. Out of state, people say "Press Scott." The locals call it "Press Kit".

It's like how Buena Vista, CO is pronounced wrong.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCn99lCZ6L8&t=382s

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
God, I think the audio is the worst part of that glitch.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

To be fair, the vacuum tubes in Launch Base didn't work in the original either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Sonic 3 was kind of a buggy game to begin with (hence why Sega tried to cover their rear end by referring to the glitches as “Robotnik’s Deadly Speed Traps” in the manual)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
after actually playing through the sonic 3 zones with new tracks, i present my judgment

carnival night is alright, could've been mixed better but the og kinda sucks. overall an improvement

ice cap is fine but the og is perfect and no replacement would live up to it

launch base blows, i wasn't the biggest fan of the og but this new stuff ain't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
People who don’t like Sonic 1 should be thrown in bad opinions jail. Half the time it’s because they played a version that puts the spin dash in which is terrible because the level design isn’t made for it, of course it kills you. The other half are parroting something about labyrinth zone (which to be fair is bad). The game is just simply a drat good platformer. Marble Ruins is awesome and if you don’t like it you’re just dumb and bad.