Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Captain Walker posted:

The only thing I really wanted from 4, and I do mean the ONLY thing, was a drivable motorcycle. Dual wielding woulda been nice, maybe the return of more unique guns from 2 like the Needler.

Instead: revamped power armor, more settlement building than anyone needs, and a weird crafting system that essentially means no guns are unique.

yeah but tbf the power armor owns it's like the only thing 4 got right

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

steinrokkan posted:

Player, you must defeat the space raider leader! His space lair is in the space office building littered with thousands of copies of the Space Boston Bugle!

Having a good laugh at the space skeletons in a funny pose

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the classics did power armor better than 4

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dongicus posted:

the classics did everything better than 4

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Dongicus posted:

they're remaking fallout 4 and they're calling it starfield

Worked pretty well for Obsidian with NV/Outer Worlds

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Did it though?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Runa posted:

Did it though?

probably not because I've got 200+ hours in New Vegas and maybe 10 in Outer Worlds. It just didn't manage to grab me the same way =T

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was really bad, but apparently it sold well. Aren't they making a sequel?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s by no mean really bad. the big problem to me at least is that hopping between planets in tiny segments makes the world feel a lot smaller than the mojave wasteland ever did. also the fact that the weapon models and skins are reused for more powerful versions later on feels a bit cheap. the perks are also mostly really boring.

it’s still a great game with compelling writing and characters that feels held back by budget. and if another person calls it centrist i’m gonna force feed them an entry level literature textbook

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well it's not really centrist, it's too dumb to have a stance of any kind, even a toothlessly cowardly one.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

drat i didn’t realize “capitalism is a death cult” was a toothless cowardly stance

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a comically exaggerated and hamfisted critique of corporate bureaucracy where every story ends with "can't we just all get along", it certainly doesn't dig deeper than that, and doesn't even seem too interested in making salient points because the various caricatures are too dissimilar from the actual problems with capitalism and too arbitrary to read as serious.

And then it's really, really, really monotonous to play.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 3, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doesn’t literally the first planet end with you having to make a choice if the resource extraction corp or the anarchist commune deserves power more? That’s not there’s always a happy ending and everyone gets along

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i really don’t think that doing an armed uprising is anywhere near “can’t we just get along” but whatever you’re entitled to your own opinion

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

Doesn’t literally the first planet end with you having to make a choice if the resource extraction corp or the anarchist commune deserves power more? That’s not there’s always a happy ending and everyone gets along

yes

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Arivia posted:

There's a third path where you cut power with the commune and convince the leader of it return. You then convince the corporate stooge running the corporate town he's actually awful at it and he walks out into the wilderness to die as the commune leader takes over everything and turns the packing plant into a garden. I don't know if that's meeting in the middle but it's the happy ending where everyone gets along (except for the one guy).

It also reminds you that the commune leader has been running the commune out of spite and wants to see the corporate town collapse and everyone loyal to it die of starvation, while the guy running the corpo town is a blinkered idiot who's been raised his entire life on corporate propaganda that he believes it, and seeing the reality of a better outcome makes him willing to die for the sake of things being better. I don't know if there's a message in that. You could attach one if you wanted.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ironslave posted:

There's a third path where you cut power with the commune and convince the leader of it return. You then convince the corporate stooge running the corporate town he's actually awful at it and he walks out into the wilderness to die as the commune leader takes over everything and turns the packing plant into a garden. I don't know if that's meeting in the middle but it's the happy ending where everyone gets along (except for the one guy).

It also reminds you that the commune leader has been running the commune out of spite and wants to see the corporate town collapse and everyone loyal to it die of starvation, while the guy running the corpo town is a blinkered idiot who's been raised his entire life on corporate propaganda that he believes it, and seeing the reality of a better outcome makes him willing to die for the sake of things being better. I don't know if there's a message in that. You could attach one if you wanted.

Welp good job Obsidian

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i would definitely say that “running it out of spite” is an extreme exaggeration. like yes she is spiteful towards the corporate ruling and everyone who is loyal towards them, which is extremely understandable, but she genuinely does believe in what she’s doing.

i wasn’t aware of the third option but that again seems more like turning the city itself to an anarchist commune more than a meeting in the middle

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ironslave posted:

As I remember it (been a while), that's the template for all the major stories. Pick side A, pick side B or do a side quest to unlock the true good ending where it turns out everybody had good intentions and PC's enlightened nature lets them see the common ground. Not because of any ideological centrism on the part of the devs, i assume, but because that's the default way to design these quests, and this is a very default game, themes and message be damned.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 3, 2022

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

steinrokkan posted:

As I remember it (been a while), that's the template for all the major stories. Pick side A, pick side B or do a side quests to unlock the true good ending where it turns out everybody had good intentions and PC's enlightened nature lets them see the common ground. Not because of any ideological centrism on the last of the devs, i assume, but because that's the default way to design these quests, and this is a very default game, themes and message be damned.

It is the formula of each of them. It's also willing to be sympathetic to those holding the wrong position or on the wrong side ideologically, and willing to criticize those on the other end, and that made quite a few people upset. Calling the game centrist is ridiculous, and if I were inclined to be uncharitable to those criticisms I'd say they stem from the game not supporting their specific ideals, or displaying them with a fraction of messy human complexity.

Like, Christ's sake, even the middle-of-the-road options involve making a commune even bigger, and turning a corporation into even more of a worker co-op spreading anti-establishment messages through the system. The game disappointed me, but come the gently caress on.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Outer Worlds was boring and unfunny. Thanks for reading

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I keep coming in here and people are bitching about Outer Worlds

Have a mod: The Cask of Sierra Madre

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
what if the courier had

a gun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the entirety of new vegas would never have happened if the courier had had a gun

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the entirety of new vegas would never have happened if the courier had had a gun

Hey, the game was generous enough to give you a bullet in the intro!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey, the game was generous enough to give you a bullet in the intro!

The game was rigged from the start.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Post your builds for killing Benny with one headshot from a handgun itt

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

Post your builds for killing Benny with one headshot from a handgun itt

Finesse, Comprehension (with True Police Stories magazine), Better Criticals, Meltdown, Laser Commander, Set lasers to Fun (achievement perk), and Pew Pew. Takes him and his bodyguards out in one ridiculous flash of V.A.T.S., it's a thing of beauty.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, do Honest Hearts first and just bring A Light Shining in Darkness.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

dolphinbomb posted:

Alternatively, do Honest Hearts first and just bring A Light Shining in Darkness.

A Light Shining in (the) Darkness (of Benny's Skull Cavity)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Chad Mormon .45 ACP vs the Virgin Mary 9mm

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Virgin Maria 9mm, dammit.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Finesse, Comprehension (with True Police Stories magazine), Better Criticals, Meltdown, Laser Commander, Set lasers to Fun (achievement perk), and Pew Pew. Takes him and his bodyguards out in one ridiculous flash of V.A.T.S., it's a thing of beauty.

A laser pistol is not a handgun, or at least lacks the poetic justice of a bullet.

The_White_Crane posted:

A Light Shining in (the) Darkness (of Benny's Skull Cavity)

much better

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

A laser pistol is not a handgun, or at least lacks the poetic justice of a bullet.

much better

Pew pew is the poetry of its name.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

It absolutely is a handgun, it's even a holdout weapon for some crazy reason which is what makes it all work so perfectly.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It absolutely is a handgun, it's even a holdout weapon for some crazy reason which is what makes it all work so perfectly.

the guy is obviously looking to kill benny in a way that poetically reflects the way he tries to kill you at the beginning of the game. not the most absurd spectacle possible

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think A Light Shining In The Darkness is a good choice for that. Or, last time, playign the (old) viva new vegas setup, it let me sneak That Gun in, which doesn't even require a detour from the normal path.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Mysterious Magnum might be a good choice just because it plays a cool sound when you draw it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cheat in Joshua's Pistol Whippin' .45 and brain him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I know the viva las vegas guide says not to use ENBs, but say I was going to use one anyway, ya'll got any recommendations?