Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
There's more, I just thought the bell pattern generator would be a cool example for showing automated melody tweaking. I've already got these implemented:
  • Nudging individual notes off the grid
  • Gate probability
  • Various function generators (chaotic attractors, a clone of Turing Machine from eurorack, PRNGs, automated sweeps)
  • Various rhythm generators (Euclidean, trigger thresholds)
  • Quantizing to chords and scales

I'll be putting up some more examples soon. Then I want to implement ratcheting and MIDI echoes. Then maybe some more methods for shuffling an existing melody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

He's just given up now, and isn't even pretending it's a bad synth he's reviewing. Run out of garbage, time to eat the good stuff.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADkqmvy44o

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I always thought he was being sarcastic with those reviews considering over half of the synths he reviewed aren't even bad by reputation.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 3, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I always thought he was being sarcastic with those reviews considering over half of the synths he reviewed aren't even bad.

he is. He’s pretty open and upfront about it if you watch the actual videos.

A lot of the stuff he covers is gear whose cachet has ebbed and flowed over the years with changing trends/markets/etc, and he generally discusses as much.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lntvnQh15E

Got into various forms of complex modulation and made a video out of it for some reason. There's a lot of cool poo poo you can do with wavefolders and second-order LFOs.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Arcella posted:

Anyone used a dirtywave M8?

This guy on reddit makes synthwave tracks with one, I watched some youtube videos and it's pretty nuts what people can do with them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/t3f43e/synthwave_jam_with_dirtywave_m8/

All edited on the machine and then some tape effects added in Reaper, he says. Pretty cool looking thing

Check this out:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfTfsBohIwK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If this thread could do me a solid and stop convincing me to buy an M8 I’d appreciate it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

He's just given up now, and isn't even pretending it's a bad synth he's reviewing. Run out of garbage, time to eat the good stuff.

if the keybed turns out to be prone to failure when exposed to cat pee that'll be a point of contention. the 4 voice paraphonic thing is a bummer as are the inputs and outputs. it looks neat and fun and sounds good, but there are legit things to complain about. there is no perfect synth and there never will be

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rolo posted:

If this thread could do me a solid and stop convincing me to buy an M8 I’d appreciate it.

it's a little known fact but timothy lamb does vigilante work on the side busting up human trafficking rings and the proceeds from sales of his stuff go towards outfitting his crime lab. so, like, I guess if you think slavery is good that might be a reason not to buy one

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

if the keybed turns out to be prone to failure when exposed to cat pee that'll be a point of contention.

:ohdear: I hadn't thought of that! uh oh....

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rolo posted:

You can buy a teensy for $35 and run headless. Add $100 and you can do headless handheld. Not a replacement for the real thing, but it's still good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google Butt posted:

You can buy a teensy for $35 and run headless. Add $100 and you can do headless handheld. Not a replacement for the real thing, but it's still good.

Just be aware the teensy is starting to get hit with chip shortage issues. You can still get it now but the manufacturer is starting to sell units without Ethernet chips to keep production going.

Which is fine in this case, the m8 doesn't need Ethernet. But it's probably a sign of the future.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

welcome to gear! the show about the world’s most audio tools

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

watho posted:

welcome to gear! the show about the world’s most audio tools

….After Brexit, Europe’s top minds saw a need to create their own Nick Batt.

Younger, fitter, more francophone—and yet equally bald—he would be the perfect replacement to send to Musikmesse for decades to come.

With a budget of 30€ the researchers and military personnel assigned to the AudioPilz Project got to work, unaware of the pandemic looming on the horizon—an event which would wipe out the trade show for good and force the organization to seek a new mission.…

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Whipped up another Freeze Pop demo. Hmm, function generators are a little more rigid than I want at the moment. Will add that to the todo list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6teKPy1zw

I picked the chord and two bars of rhythm. Then Freeze Pop assigned pitches to all the gates using a function generator and a quantizer. Then I told it what order to put the bars in. I also had it play the bars backwards sometimes.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone know how the program change on a SQ-64 works? I see it sends and receives it with options on how to route that, but no documentation that I can find on what the messages actually do. Assuming it changes sequences... but according to what scheme?

kare
Mar 19, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

more francophone

He's Austrian

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kare posted:

He's Austrian

you’re right, I thought he was Belgian for whatever reason

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Anyone know how the program change on a SQ-64 works? I see it sends and receives it with options on how to route that, but no documentation that I can find on what the messages actually do. Assuming it changes sequences... but according to what scheme?

lol it seems to switch saved projects, which is a hell of a 'powerful' feature. makes it (potentially) very deep, but also very easy to erase your stuff by accident. This thing rules but there's lots of weirdness in the corners of the fw

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm pretty sure that Instruo wavefolder does it w/ it's symmetry control actually. I mean idk that module in particular but most things w/ those controls are riffs on that general idea

I have a physical version of that in my setup, and the symmetry bias is a really fun thing to modulate and mess with. The only thing I don't like about the athru is that, when you're using it for distortion instead of Buchla-style wavefolding, it puts out a LOT of noise. But lordy does it sound great otherwise.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone ever use the CV from an Analog Four or Octatrack? I'm trying to send clock to synths but using the clock option doesn't seem to work. I've set clock division to 1 and length to 32 but it never seems to esnd the signal. Voltage is correct at 5v so that part is fine.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

net work error posted:

Anyone ever use the CV from an Analog Four or Octatrack? I'm trying to send clock to synths but using the clock option doesn't seem to work. I've set clock division to 1 and length to 32 but it never seems to esnd the signal. Voltage is correct at 5v so that part is fine.

last time i tried to use the A4 CV outputs it gave me a ton of fiddly issues. the gates it put out resulted in tons of double trigger issues and the clock was unrecognizable to most of my modules. i ended up using some maths channels to process the CV outputs and that worked as a hacky workaround but a dedicated MIDI to CV module was the only solution ive found. the non-gate type of CV outputs were alright, and you can use the FX sequencer to get two separate independent CV sequences coming out

edit: before i had a midi to CV module i had some good success just using a really loud click out of my sound card or whatever else i had laying to trigger a rapid envelope, then use the envelope as a clock source, or maybe you could even use the click directly as a clock never tried that but it might work. either way since its an audio input the sync you get from that is way better than even the best midi sync, worth trying if youve got the hardware for it

Mr. Sharps fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 4, 2022

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

net work error posted:

Been a while since I had an octa, but there are many menus to dive and I believe the clock output details need to be set for it to work. The Elektronauts forum is good and has threads for just about everything, just ignore the angry posts telling everyone to just read the manual.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who wants to see the biggest "beginner-friendly" rack I've ever seen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgqtH7Exd6U

:psyduck: This wouldn't even fit in a lot of beginner-size hardware racks out there.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Looks like it's a good take on the Doepfer Basic System style you'd expect to see in academia. Good for the conceit of a static setup for learning.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I sold my hydrasynth a while back and regretted it deeply. today I saw the hydrasynth explorer on sale and grabbed it.

I am excited, although I am sure very quickly it'll be back to being normal rather than when I first got it and spent hours on it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I got annoyed with the Analog Four not sending out clock so I switched to a Beatstep pro instead and everything worked perfectly as expected so I'm not sure what the deal is with the Elektron. Analog Four does v/oct and gate just fine at least

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Startyde posted:

Looks like it's a good take on the Doepfer Basic System style you'd expect to see in academia. Good for the conceit of a static setup for learning.

Well good lord, it’s huge. No wonder this was so niche until recently.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

net work error posted:

I got annoyed with the Analog Four not sending out clock so I switched to a Beatstep pro instead and everything worked perfectly as expected so I'm not sure what the deal is with the Elektron. Analog Four does v/oct and gate just fine at least

I was annoyed with the solutions I came up with until I switched to using the THRU port as DIN sync, happy since. :yaycloud:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Well good lord, it’s huge. No wonder this was so niche until recently.

A good, uh, excercise to do in modulargrid/vcv is to try to patch out a full like Pro-One or some other basic-ish monosynth w/ some modulation options. There are so many things that are vcas that you don't realize are vcas until you already have like 8-16 patched and you figured theres no way you'd need that many when you were racking stuff but whoops you actually need twice that. Makes you appreciate things w/ pre-routed attenuverters even more!

RocketMermaid posted:

I have a physical version of that in my setup, and the symmetry bias is a really fun thing to modulate and mess with. The only thing I don't like about the athru is that, when you're using it for distortion instead of Buchla-style wavefolding, it puts out a LOT of noise. But lordy does it sound great otherwise.

mines hardwired as part of my Two59 but I've spent probably days, maybe weeks now, cumulatively, just turning knobs and listening to what happens. I was very in to the square-saw vc fade when I first got it calibrated for trance lead reasons but that is just scratching the surface it turns out. Somehow that circuit contains like 75-90% of what I want to do with synthesizers? magic. 90s hands in the air leads. 60s subotnick bs. 2010s screaming distortion++. I got a friggin jerry garcia Mu-tron tone out of it (w/ a Ripples) one day

There's an alternate reality where Skrillex became the mid 2010's poster boy for Nüchla instead of Cortini and it looks like this:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
My co-worker who got me into synths has to move and needs to downsize his studio, he's offered me his mint DeepMind 12 for $500 cash. That's a heck of a deal and it is used so I don't feel super bad about supporting Behringer, think I should snag it?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Coolnezzz posted:

My co-worker who got me into synths has to move and needs to downsize his studio, he's offered me his mint DeepMind 12 for $500 cash. That's a heck of a deal and it is used so I don't feel super bad about supporting Behringer, think I should snag it?

My Deepmind 12D is one of my favorite synths I have, and even better getting it used so Uli doesn’t get your money. It’s a great synth and being able to muck with the effects section in the mod matrix makes for some really fun sound making.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Coolnezzz posted:

I dont think there are any moral qualms about picking up used gear from lovely companies - they've already got the $ anyhow, you should enjoy it. Worst case scenario you mess with it for a bit, dont like it, and then flip it for what you paid for it or close to it. I'd say do it (but I'm always gonna say that)

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Cool, I'm going to let him know I'm interested. It looks like a lot of fun to just mess around with the mod matrix let alone all the other features they stole implemented into it.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Make Noise CV bus 7U case is pretty cool except for a couple of things.

The first is sliding nuts. I’ve added threaded strips to 3 of the 4 rails. I would’ve done 4 but that was how much I happened to have available so it’ll do for now.

The second issue is the power. It gives something like 1.4a +12v etc. and I’m constantly a bit too close for comfort. The best solution would be to replace the power system with something like Intellijel tps80w but I happened to have a Koma Strom+ set from a DIY case I don’t use anymore so I decided to frankenstein it in the case so that I have two powers!

It’s more than one! The black bus and the bottom module mounted sideways is the new power.

Looks alright and it powers up! Time to remount the modules…

Ready to play again!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Even though I think the Deepmind is great, I am not Mr Uli’s biggest supporter. Regardless, I just saw the behringer system-55 for preorder and my goodness does that look like something I want. My biggest concern would be breaking it because it may not be built solid.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

j.peeba posted:

Ready to play again!

LOL awesome. Now that is a party in a box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

j.peeba posted:

Make Noise CV bus 7U case is pretty cool except for a couple of things.

The first is sliding nuts. I’ve added threaded strips to 3 of the 4 rails. I would’ve done 4 but that was how much I happened to have available so it’ll do for now.

The second issue is the power. It gives something like 1.4a +12v etc. and I’m constantly a bit too close for comfort. The best solution would be to replace the power system with something like Intellijel tps80w but I happened to have a Koma Strom+ set from a DIY case I don’t use anymore so I decided to frankenstein it in the case so that I have two powers!

It’s more than one! The black bus and the bottom module mounted sideways is the new power.

Looks alright and it powers up! Time to remount the modules…

Ready to play again!

How do you like that Tracker module?