Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

site posted:

kinda sucks they didn't ask if he wanted to do the run he volunteered to drop
https://twitter.com/TheBlacktastic/status/1543371309073178625?t=_xLJQvI-PlAqptb8_oQi_Q&s=19

I thought about those 2 first, but I had assumed they were asked... apparently not. That's not very nice GDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

mostly setup taking a lot longer than expected

Shoenin posted:

Someone went horrifically overschedule (the guy running pokemon emerald went over pretty bad and then still did stuff after anyway) and some games were dropped voluntarily, and uhh stuff I guess not sure myself either.

That sucks! And also

Vermain posted:

in this specific case, the runner in question voluntarily dropped his bloodstained run in order to help the marathon get back on schedule, but had the potential of getting brought back in once the schedule got more sane snuffed in favor of a pokemon glitch run that previously failed to hit its incentive earlier on in the marathon

This makes me really sad bc bloodstained is an awesome game and id vastly prefer a smaller community game get some visibility then the already galactic sized pokemon one

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Cue that one guy getting weirdly aggro that we dare have any mildly negative opinion of a GDQ thing. I'm really liking the show overall but this is undeniably a big fumble

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Banzai 3 posted:

The extra fun part is GDQ staff was going to originally be on that Pokémon couch, so it smells of a conflict of interest in the best case. I understand Pokémon runs bring in the money, but you don’t really need that as we head into the final evening.

What? Being on the couch isn't some sort of super prestigious prize. Also, I'm assuming the "staff" you're referring to is Keizaron, and I'm reasonably certain he has no decision-making clout. the situation is not great, but there's no need to invent conspiracies about it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What was Emerald's estimate? I thought it was 3:30 but maybe it was 3:00 since they did have that really bad golbat luck at the start

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Banzai 3 posted:

The extra fun part is GDQ staff was going to originally be on that Pokémon couch, so it smells of a conflict of interest in the best case. I understand Pokémon runs bring in the money, but you don’t really need that as we head into the final evening.

If it didn't get hit the first time it's hardly bringing in the money though?

People have accused GDQ staff of playing favorite basically every year, though I have no idea how much merit there is to that and this could easily have been just a rash oversight.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ravus posted:

I thought about those 2 first, but I had assumed they were asked... apparently not. That's not very nice GDQ.

in the case of superhot vr i think it would be an online run so it is very understandable they'd not re-add that, you'd want all the last-day runs to be on-site

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bobby rules.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

What was Emerald's estimate? I thought it was 3:30 but maybe it was 3:00 since they did have that really bad golbat luck at the start

Either way the schedule was behind by 5 hours at one point, that isn't the fault of somebody going over by 15 minutes at most. It was mostly set up issues AFAIK so it's weird to even bring up the emerald run.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm trying to remember how to embed tweets but for what it's worth it looks like this is largely miscommunication; everyone thought someone else had already checked in with him

https://twitter.com/Corvimae/status/1543374088491655169

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Agent355 posted:

If it didn't get hit the first time it's hardly bringing in the money though?

it brought in something like an extra $100k, so even if it doesn't get met that's still a lot of extra cash

it's obviously not a trick you can pull a lot because you might burn people out on failed incentives, but i can't exactly fault them for putting it at the end of the marathon when donation amounts are always much higher

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Agent355 posted:

Either way the schedule was behind by 5 hours at one point, that isn't the fault of somebody going over by 15 minutes at most. It was mostly set up issues AFAIK so it's weird to even bring up the emerald run.

I don't think it was that much (I've said it before but on the initial schedule release Elden Ring was scheduled to start well after midnight local time which is also where it is right now, it might have even been later) but yeah they were at least three hours back. Setup makes sense for a lot of that since I don't remember many (if any) runs going over much and the runs that finish under estimate would have balanced that out easily.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's probably some sense of "people donated to this and it didn't end up happening, so let's see if we can get it met for the sake of those people" for bringing back BDSP, over bloodstained. even though it was a milestone over an incentive, people probably donated for the purpose of making that run happen

it actually makes me wonder about the general % of donos that end up being chargeback'd after the marathon ends. because maybe they don't want that sort of situation

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy poo poo that hell run. My heart was in my throat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

that was loving ridiculous

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that room was bullshit and oats is not human

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This whole thing is crazy impressive and I keep thinking to myself about how much difficult stuff there is that I don't even know to look for. As somebody who hasn't done all that much metroid I'm sure there is alot of small tech I'm missing but even what I can see is nuts.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

DoctorWhat posted:

Entire couch just completely silent the whole time. So tense.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that room was bullshit and oats is not human

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Zurai posted:

What? Being on the couch isn't some sort of super prestigious prize. Also, I'm assuming the "staff" you're referring to is Keizaron, and I'm reasonably certain he has no decision-making clout. the situation is not great, but there's no need to invent conspiracies about it.

To be clear, I’m not trying to be conspiratorial about this. Conflicts of interest can exist in fact and in appearance and I’m pointing out that this can look like one. I assume good intent when it comes to GDQ, but it’s easy to see how this looks bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will say that the "don't you want to keep this event going?" rings hollow when stuff was taken out to NOT keep this event going lol

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i will say that the "don't you want to keep this event going?" rings hollow when stuff was taken out to NOT keep this event going lol

:same:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Flesnolk posted:

I'm trying to remember how to embed tweets but for what it's worth it looks like this is largely miscommunication; everyone thought someone else had already checked in with him

https://twitter.com/Corvimae/status/1543374088491655169

That just sounds like the BDSP people, not GDQ that thought someone had checked with him. Unless you're seeing that somewhere else

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That stinks about Bloodstained. It's a great game and it's the only game where I've bothered to get every achievement. Those last food items... ugh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at least he got to run wily wars earlier in the week so he was in the marathon, it just sucks that you did what you felt was the right thing and then didn't get rewarded for it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
This is such a good run, love oats

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That just sounds like the BDSP people, not GDQ that thought someone had checked with him. Unless you're seeing that somewhere else

Honestly I might have just been moving too fast trying to contribute to the conversation

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm pretty sure rerunning the failed incentive doesn't have anything to do with filling out the schedule, it's just an attempt to keep donations coming after the last incentive filled up early. It's already going to 2 AM Sunday which I think is running later than scheduled, but the alternative is not having anything to dangle for donations for the last 12 hours.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The 7th Guest posted:

at least he got to run wily wars earlier in the week so he was in the marathon

that's actually explicitly why he volunteered to cut his run

Bremen posted:

It's already going to 2 AM Sunday which I think is running later than scheduled

it's actually still ahead of the original schedule because my first reaction on seeing the original schedule was "how the hell am I going to stay up that late" which 2am is not a time that would cause that reaction lol

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Bremen posted:

I'm pretty sure rerunning the failed incentive doesn't have anything to do with filling out the schedule, it's just an attempt to keep donations coming after the last incentive filled up early. It's already going to 2 AM Sunday which I think is running later than scheduled, but the alternative is not having anything to dangle for donations for the last 12 hours.

It's also really short.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bremen posted:

I agree, but also you can just make 'bring back blacktastic and the super hot vr guy' as an incentive and I think it'd get hit even faster. Since then it'd be rewarding the runners for being cool dudes and it'd be a feel good incentive.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lol 100 red missile door. I was wondering why he'd need 100 missiles.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
100 missle door
What a piece of gently caress

E: The best way to fight someone is to not fight them at all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

finally, taunt the animals wins

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Cool run, amazing result. First metroid run I've ever liked :v: (not my game :p)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I was expecting some killer finale after everything else and he's just like "Nope, I managed to beat this 2 out of 100 attempts in practice, we're taking the easy route."

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fewer than 10 deaths on a run that fewer than 10 people (from what I heard) have beaten. Seriously impressive.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Amazing run, no way I would even get 5 screens into that hack before giving up. :lmao: about the 20 super missile blocks/100 missile door.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bremen posted:

I was expecting some killer finale after everything else and he's just like "Nope, I managed to beat this 2 out of 100 attempts in practice, we're taking the easy route."

yeah seeing how well he played that and then hearing he had a clear rate of 1 in 50 is bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

I felt that "oh gosh" in my bones, Char_bunny.