Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

KittyEmpress posted:

If Disney ever bit the bullet and chose to reconsider the sequel trilogy, I'd prefer they just reconsider Rise out of existence. I think a good sequel finishing up the trilogy could exist. It just... wouldn't end in Rise.

Rise makes the entire sequel trilogy worse for existing.

It's got some decent ideas in it. There's even some enjoyment to be had in how it steadily gets weirder and more incoherent as it goes on, as if they shot all the scenes in chronological order and everyone involved was losing their minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just watch this - it's the only decent thing Boba Fett does in the entire dumb loving show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2y048EbNKQ

The Tusken flashbacks are kinda good too and the train heist is fun. But everything else minus the Mando bonus episode? Absolute low tier garbage. The Robert Rodriguez episodes being the absolute worse.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

The Robert Rodriguez episodes being the absolute worse.

The Gallery has the temerity to say that he brought energy to the show with his directing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm oddly reminded of the thoroughline in the last couple Muppet movies where the Muppets are presented as washed-up has-beens that the world doesn't care about anymore (again?) and have to be convinced to give it another chance. It's a kinda weird thing with all these nostalgia-bait franchise reanimations lately.

I think it's trying for cheap pathos and pity points and/or establishing a 'get the band back together' plot in the laziest way, but with the already clumsy political context of the sequels it just becomes particularly obnoxious, and yes, basically establishes the heroes of classic movies as having become miserable, hated failures everyone got sick of years ago. I suppose the intent is that you're supposed to think of the younger generations as being ungrateful and disobedient.

I think it's interesting that Muppets Most Wanted is about Steve Whitmere being fired, a few years before it happened in real life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

I think it's interesting that Muppets Most Wanted is about Steve Whitmere being fired, a few years before it happened in real life.

...explain? I have no idea who that is but it sounds interesting. Guessing it has something to do with how Kermit being replaced by a doppelganger who doesn't reign the Muppets in means their performances become self-indulgent disasters?

The songs are still bangers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

Force-users hate this one trick (Auralnauts)

As MAD said back in the day "Why don't they just use the Force to give Maul a heart attack?"/"Hard to sell that merch."

For some reason my browser history keeps taking me all the way back to this particular page whenever I feel like checking this thread. And every time I spend a few seconds thinking if there is a way to sell merch based on this before remembering I've seen this post so many times.

Anyway I'm thinking a toy series called "Hearts of the Jedi," since there are so many Jedi and Sith characters who aren't human, they could sell like 1:1 scale heart (or hearts depending on the character) of each Jedi and Sith character. And they can have some kind of articulation showing how the heart behaves when experiencing a force induced heart attack or when someone is getting force choked, or choosing to shoot lightning at someone, etc. So you could cover both Wookiepedia people, individual character super fans because it's so specific, gore fans, and edutainment people in with one product.

Where's my check Disney. This definitely goes into so stupid it will be a hit territory.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A New Hope is the best Star Wars for specifically this reason:

https://youtu.be/GDe6iTQh4t0

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...explain? I have no idea who that is but it sounds interesting. Guessing it has something to do with how Kermit being replaced by a doppelganger who doesn't reign the Muppets in means their performances become self-indulgent disasters?

The songs are still bangers.

Steve Whitmere had been performing Kermit since Jim Henson died in 1990, was fired from the role for suggesting that certain things, like lying to his nephew, were out of character for Kermit, and was replaced by the guy who Puppeteered Kermit's doppleganger in the film.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Like everybody's probably noticed there's some Lucas rehabilitation going on right now as a result of how bad Disney Star Wars is, and how the criticism of the prequels was overblown, but it's interesting to me that one point no one can get past is the old Han Shot First thing. Even for people at the forefront of the movement, it's not secretly genius in some way, it's just a case of nobody's perfect

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’ve heard that it was changed in the Special Edition to keep the original PG rating, but I don’t know how true that is. (PG-13 didn’t exist in 1977.)

The Jabba scene in ANH is very bad. It does have a function, since it makes clear that Han really does have an opportunity at the end of the film to take his reward and get back in Jabba’s good graces instead of sticking with the Rebels, but it repeats like 80% of the info we already got from Greedo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Jabba scene is redundant and was rightly replaced with the Greedo scene in the original release. I interpret the Special Editions as mainly exercises for ILM to see what they can do to add new effects to old footage, as a way of practicing techniques they anticipated using for the prequels. So the point of the Jabba scene was to insert a digital character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zoran posted:

I’ve heard that it was changed in the Special Edition to keep the original PG rating, but I don’t know how true that is. (PG-13 didn’t exist in 1977.)

The Jabba scene in ANH is very bad. It does have a function, since it makes clear that Han really does have an opportunity at the end of the film to take his reward and get back in Jabba’s good graces instead of sticking with the Rebels, but it repeats like 80% of the info we already got from Greedo.
I just like the bit where Jabba was originally human, so when Han walks behind him he steps on his tail.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Perennially late to the party that I am, I don't know or care if this is a shared sentiment, but I thought the ending of Obi-Wan was dumb as hell. Why didn't he kill Vader? Why the gently caress not? Vader's whole "you didn't kill Anakin Skywalker... I did" thing was supposed to be some sort of absolution? Then why didn't he just finish him off? If there's no guilt left what the gently caress is the problem??? There had to be a better way to write that finale that Vader gets away. I mean, the idea that they fought not once but twice between RotS and ANH, and both times are effectively stalemates, is beyond absurd to me. Of course I watched the whole series because MacGregor is one of the best things to happen to the franchise, but having done that I feel the time between trilogies is better left to the imagination.

I did like the implied explanation of his use of "Darth," just using someone's title to convey utter contempt. And his talk with Leia at the end was sweet and certainly explains her attachment to him in ANH. But the Vader stuff was just sloppy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Somebody here or in TV IV, I forget, said the jedi are supposed to have a batman esque rule against killing and obi wan was acting on that basis. This was news to me, based on the stars war that I've seen, but maybe it's from the cartoons

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
then what are the lightsabers for

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Should have killed Vader than a wormhole opens up and CGI Alec Guinness comes out and tells Obi Wan that he's created a paradox in the time line and they have to team up in S2 to go back to the beginning of S1 and stop Obi Wan.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"Han shot first" is justified entirely between Lucas wearing the t-shirt and Lucas wedging "maclunky" into the Disney sale contract, both unparalleled genius moves.

e: clearly a typo, the Jedi have a batman-like rule towards killing. they always have to.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Vintersorg posted:

Just watch this - it's the only decent thing Boba Fett does in the entire dumb loving show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2y048EbNKQ

And then it turns out they were the wrong guys anyway

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are all of the shots so tight feeling in the tv shows? I watched that one and one it linked me to with the Mando testing how the new ship. The camera seems too close and the framing is weird. Is that how they actually look or is it trying to dodge copyright strikes?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mister Speaker posted:

then what are the lightsabers for

Removing limbs.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

No Mods No Masters posted:

Somebody here or in TV IV, I forget, said the jedi are supposed to have a batman esque rule against killing and obi wan was acting on that basis. This was news to me, based on the stars war that I've seen, but maybe it's from the cartoons

Well, ok but what about all the Stormtroopers Obi-Wan shoots or lightsabers then? They deserve death but Vader doesn't? Jedi have never had a no killing rule, whoever posted that doesn't seem very familiar with Star Wars imo.

Look, its because Vader was alive in the OT so he can't die here and they just didn't bother with an explanation of why Obi-Wan doesn't finish it. At least in the prequels Obi-Wan could assume limbless burning alive Anakin was done, doesn't have that excuse here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have never once heard of a "No killing ever" rule for the Jedi. Even in the cartoons they show the Jedi fighting with the intent to kill people all the time.

They may have meant they're not supposed to kill people who can't fight back/clearly been beaten?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I loving hate The Last Jedi with a passion but absolutey believe an entire Rian Johnson trilogy with minimal Disney fuckery could be brilliant.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Anakin executing Dooku is definitely supposed to be a bad guy moment, but did he even get in trouble for doing that?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

No Mods No Masters posted:

The cartoons were more violent than the live action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8iN6T_M_A

gohmak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 3, 2022

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The only way it would’ve made sense is if something or someone had intervened and interrupted the fight after Ewan Mcgregor got the upper hand allowing Vader to get away/chased off obiwan

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s possible that they’re referring back to when Anakin decapitates Doolittle back in Episode 3.

However, the ‘rule’ is that Jedi don’t kill unarmed prisoners and Obiwan makes no effort to capture Anakin in the show. (What authorities could he bring him in to?)

Also, the ‘rule’ in Episode 3 is really more like a loose sentiment or something. Obiwan kills a bunch of unarmed prisoners early in the movie, without a moment’s hesitation. It’s like, “oh, that’s kinda rude.”

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Calaveron posted:

The only way it would’ve made sense is if something or someone had intervened and interrupted the fight after Ewan Mcgregor got the upper hand allowing Vader to get away/chased off obiwan

Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU9JRYzUBBg

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s possible that they’re referring back to when Anakin decapitates Doolittle back in Episode 3.

However, the ‘rule’ is that Jedi don’t kill unarmed prisoners and Obiwan makes no effort to capture Anakin in the show. (What authorities could he bring him in to?)

Also, the ‘rule’ in Episode 3 is really more like a loose sentiment or something. Obiwan kills a bunch of unarmed prisoners early in the movie, without a moment’s hesitation. It’s like, “oh, that’s kinda rude.”

The Sith kill in anger, the Jedi kill dispassionately.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe these guys should just go be monks, this killing stuff doesn't seem to work out

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 3, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jedi are supposed to be above executing prisoners, even dangerous ones. Anakin didn't get in trouble for decapitating Dooku because if the Jedi as an institution were ever that ethical, they had fallen from that level long before the war began.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Roth posted:

I have never once heard of a "No killing ever" rule for the Jedi. Even in the cartoons they show the Jedi fighting with the intent to kill people all the time.

They may have meant they're not supposed to kill people who can't fight back/clearly been beaten?

There is so much death in clone wars lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think an interesting star wars movie could be one that explores the force and Jedi to show the difference between say a planet where there are no kyber crystals so a Jedi learning there focuses more on hand to hand fighting (ala Judo\jujutsu) for self defense and connection to nature. Then youd have a Jedi Knight show up and it's basically like you become one of these guys you're walking a path paved in blood, the laser sword is the most destructive weapon in the universe and you wield it to protect the balance of the force or whatever and the force says to chop those guys up.

Drawing a lot of inspiration from Samurai, King Arthur, and Knights in general where yea some people who want to help become them but also a lot of sociopathic killing legally teehee types.

"If you truly want to walk the same path as me, you will take up this blade, and many before you may fall to it, and your greatest opponent will be yourself and your desires, which the dark side will constantly seek to exploit."

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me" (throws away the super murder blade)

(you learn that guys like quigon,.windu, obi, Anakin are the most hosed up dudes ever they're just murder machines, and there's all these other really nice Jedi out there doing like Tai chi and martial arts to disarm bad guys while the Jedi KNIGHTS are just like eh lopped off his arm for stealing a bread)

idle thoughts of some potential non Skywalker poo poo I think would be interesting

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 3, 2022

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jerkface posted:

I think an interesting star wars movie could be one that explores the force and Jedi to show the difference between say a planet where there are no kyber crystals so a Jedi learning there focuses more on hand to hand fighting (ala Judo\jujutsu) for self defense and connection to nature. Then youd have a Jedi Knight show up and it's basically like you become one of these guys you're walking a path paved in blood, the laser sword is the most destructive weapon in the universe and you wield it to protect the balance of the force or whatever and the force says to chop those guys up.

Drawing a lot of inspiration from Samurai, King Arthur, and Knights in general where yea some people who want to help become them but also a lot of sociopathic killing legally teehee types.

"If you truly want to walk the same path as me, you will take up this blade, and many before you may fall to it, and your greatest opponent will be yourself and your desires, which the dark side will constantly seek to exploit."

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me" (throws away the super murder blade)

(you learn that guys like quigon,.windu, obi, Anakin are the most hosed up dudes ever they're just murder machines, and there's all these other really nice Jedi out there doing like Tai chi and martial arts to disarm bad guys while the Jedi KNIGHTS are just like eh lopped off his arm for stealing a bread)

idle thoughts of some potential non Skywalker poo poo I think would be interesting

Just turn Star Wars into a xianxia already. The roots are all there. Jedi are righteous path cultivators and sith are Demonic cultivators.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gohmak posted:

Just turn Star Wars into a xianxia already. The roots are all there. Jedi are righteous path cultivators and sith are Demonic cultivators.

There are a handful of xianxia that are already Star Wars in all but name. Dragon Swamp (1969) has a light sabre, swamp training, parental reveals, sibling reveals... it's pretty much The Empire Strikes back if not only was Vader secretly Luke's father but Yoda was secretly Luke's mother.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Anakin executing Dooku is definitely supposed to be a bad guy moment, but did he even get in trouble for doing that?

Obi-Wan casually references Anakin killing Dooku as some sort of heroic achievement later on, but he was also knocked out when it happened so he doesn't actually know the specifics of how it went down.

The novelization also implies that if Anakin does ever give a detailed account of what happened, they don't care. When Palpatine calls for Anakin to have a seat on the Jedi council, they decide to allow it in part because they want his Sith killing Chosen One skills on hand for their plan to lure Darth Sidious into the open by sending Yoda away and making the Jedi seem unprotected.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Robot Style posted:

their plan to lure Darth Sidious into the open by sending Yoda away and making the Jedi seem unprotected.

Great plan, dipshits!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rey’s Theme is the best part of those movies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dog King posted:

Like everybody's probably noticed there's some Lucas rehabilitation going on right now as a result of how bad Disney Star Wars is, and how the criticism of the prequels was overblown, but it's interesting to me that one point no one can get past is the old Han Shot First thing. Even for people at the forefront of the movement, it's not secretly genius in some way, it's just a case of nobody's perfect

I just rewatched the PT and came to the conclusion that, yeah, it is better than ST, but inst very good either

I found TPM is the best of 3 by far. I used to hate it because Jar Jar and "midchlorians" but this time these things didint bothered me that much. It looks kinda bad, like an old FPS or something, specially indoor scenes. But Tatooine looks great. Most the acting is really uninspired, even though they have great actors. But still I think it a pretty decent star wars movie after all. The pod race is still amazing

AOTC is the worst. Curiously, it was the one remember liking more at the time. This time I found it a slog. The Obi Wan detective parts are interesting, but almost everything outside of it is so dull. The whole Anakin and Padmé flirting and romancing is so so bad. But the final part, the arena battle and the, well, attack of the clones, is pretty well done, probably one of the best war sequences in Star Wars, though maybe a bit too long

Finally, RoTS: I would never say its a good movie, but is so over the top on everything it ends up being fun to watch. Its often like watching a gorgeous videogame, or a live action anime. Palps doing Street Fighter moves while making evil faces and laughing like a cartoon super vilain its so bad its good

But still, PT is way better than ST even if only because theres actually have a story there, and it is actually a trilogy

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

gohmak posted:

The cartoons were more violent than the live action.

Fortunately now we know that being run through with a lightsaber is a non-fatal wound, so a lot of these characters are probably just fine.