Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I started a write up of being 3 years deep into running my first campaign, but the entire situation currently boils down to this:

We keep coming back to sexy liches and my players keep giving me positive reinforcement. Why do they love hot liches. Why am I doing this. Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

DressCodeBlue posted:

I started a write up of being 3 years deep into running my first campaign, but the entire situation currently boils down to this:

We keep coming back to sexy liches and my players keep giving me positive reinforcement. Why do they love hot liches. Why am I doing this. Send help.

Are you sure you didn't hear them say hot bitches?

Or are they finding unorthodox uses for severed left hands?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DressCodeBlue posted:

An unfortunate leather fetish?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

DressCodeBlue posted:

Cat Face Joe posted:

second page wtf??

:bsdsnype:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"conventionally attractive lich fashion spread" by midjourney

Hey baby, wanna see my phylactery

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 26, 2022

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Well, they finally killed one of them Friday night and nuked her phylactery, so...

Time for a new hot lich?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Well, they finally killed one of them Friday night and nuked her phylactery, so...

Time for a new hot lich?

Your liches still use those? How gauche. What an old school way of thinking.

Have a little self respect.

After all, phylactery will get you nowhere. :dadjoke:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
My little friend group finished our Curse of Strahd campaign, we even managed to survive and kill Strahd! But as we had a small group we wanted to bring in new players and swap GMS. So while planning our next game which will be a Planescape campaign we had to decide how our group knew each other and would stick together initially. While giving an example of things we could be connected by I jokingly used a book club as an example, but one of my friends seemed to really like it because he came back to it.

So soon our First Annual Waterdeep Book Club consisting of a half-orc barbarian, gnome druid, tiefling warlock, dragonborn wizard and human bard (and attending servants) will get stranded far from home in a world very much unlike their own.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HiKaizer posted:

My little friend group finished our Curse of Strahd campaign, we even managed to survive and kill Strahd! But as we had a small group we wanted to bring in new players and swap GMS. So while planning our next game which will be a Planescape campaign we had to decide how our group knew each other and would stick together initially. While giving an example of things we could be connected by I jokingly used a book club as an example, but one of my friends seemed to really like it because he came back to it.

So soon our First Annual Waterdeep Book Club consisting of a half-orc barbarian, gnome druid, tiefling warlock, dragonborn wizard and human bard (and attending servants) will get stranded far from home in a world very much unlike their own.

:allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

HiKaizer posted:

every lovely character/group idea is just a great idea in need of the right game

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I got a copy of Wanderhome for my daughter for Yule that we finally got around to breaking into. We just read the rules and made characters. My buddy is going to run the game, and it'll be the two of us as players just to give it a test run before I try to run a game for my daughter and her friends.

Character creation is a series of questions, each of which has multiple choices but you can also fill in the blank for any of them with whatever comes to mind.

My daughter made a friendly but mischievous young cat runaway who "refuses to ever be quiet, or scared." She keeps a secret locket portrait of her family, but claims (emphasis hers) to be running away "to find nicer parents." She also has a pet mantis, an adult-sized cloak that is far too big for her, and a "pokin' stick."

Critically, one of the questions the book asks of every playbook (this system's version of "class") is one question of your choosing to the person to your left, and one to your right. This lets other players shape aspects of your character, and also cements character ties. My daughter's playbook is called Ragamuffin, so one of the questions she asked me was:

"What went wrong the last time I dragged you along on a misadventure?"

At this point, I only had a playbook picked out, the Moth Tender. Moth Tenders are the setting's mail carriers. So I think about the questions and say:

"What went wrong? You stowed away in my little boxy, white mail cart. I'm on a long-distance mission and you ended up way far away from your home, and now I'm stuck with you."

I decided right there that this was going to be an odd couple dynamic. She made a cheerful rapscallion, so I made my mail carrier a bit of a grump to contrast. I started answering my questions accordingly, but not entirely. Other answers started revealing a sort of tarnished idealist hidden beneath all that grump, and maybe even a revolutionary past. He's a reindeer tasked with delivering a bag full of last-chance "dead letters" (undeliverable mail) as best he can. He has also nicknamed his stowaway "Bartleby." (I was an English professor for ten years and I love this story.)

My reindeer also has a magic scroll to deliver to an old flame, a bag of candy to deliver to a witch, and a letter to deliver to an ancient forest god.

My daughter has already told me that she intends to steal the candy bag.

I told her she's going to have to take it up with the witch. :getin:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Railing Kill posted:

That all sounds delightful

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Railing Kill posted:

This is adorable and your daughter clearly understood the assignment and you are an excellent parent :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

X-COM dragged a drugged minor into their unmarked van.

Granted, they were rescuing a probably-psychic teenager from medical experiments and getting him to safety, and he was drugged by Exalt and they're trying to get him medical help, but the optics.

ChiefMcClane
Dec 2, 2021
The first RPG I ever played was Pathfinder. A few Tumblr mutuals got together to play in a play-by-post game on a now-defunct Google Groups forum. We played for almost three years before the GM moved to Australia and became too busy to continue, but this post is about the time that everything came together in one of the best boss fights I've ever fought.

For context, the campaign started with total strangers waking up completely naked in a prison full of ash - a few hectic scenes later and we've stopped our goblin, hobgoblin, and a notorious bugbear chef with a ripsaw glaive. We've learned that we can leave the prison via a series of portals that go different places based on what veils/curtains hang over certain doorways. Fast forward a few levels past a tengu commune, a museum dedicated to the mad-wizard god who imprisoned us and is turning everyone's souls into mortar for The Thousand Walls (hey! that's the name of the show!) and we've arrived at a somewhat standard fantasy land, full of city-states feuding and a network of spies uncovering dark secrets.

One secret is uncovered too late - a portal to hell opens up, spewing forth demons armed with World War 1 era equipment into one of the largest cities in the land. Armies cordon off the city, and our adventuring party is picked to join other crews venturing into the city with anti-magic field bricks to try to stop up the breaches the demons are pouring through. Our party endures mustard gas-filled sewers, fights hordes and hordes of demons, fights on a field of landmines laid by a simulacrum of the mad wizard-god, and came to our assigned breech.

Side note, tactical grid combat on roll20 (which was new at the time) on massive maps handmade by the GM, using a 30 foot circle aura for the anti-magic field brick to turn on/turn off magic abilities was one of the coolest fight dynamics. I recommend others use it if you ever get the chance to. We strapped it to my ranger's mastiff and gave it commands to run around the battlefields and it made impossible fights just hard.

It's guard by two dancing Vrocks - Newt and Gingrich. The combat begins with them doing their Dance of Ruin atop a wall made of thousands of corpses, a horde between us and them. My character, who was a longbow buzzsaw ranger with a pet mastiff (used wolf stats) and the gunslinger do what we can to stop one Vrock, concentrating our firepower on it. We manage to take it down while the bloodrager and investigator try to carve a path to the wall while the DMPC, a brawler named General Vedder (a war hero and leader of the local militia) follows behind them, helping out where it can.

Now, in PF1E, Dance of Ruin is a full round action, and after three rounds all creatures within 100 feet would take 5d6 damage for every Vrock participating in the dance. So we're talking about 10d6 damage for the two Vrocks, at the tail end of a long day of fighting and falling prey to traps. It would absolutely have killed all of us.

By the second round of the Dance of Ruin, we've put down 1 Vrock and severely injured the other, but it's looking grim. The bloodrager and the investigator have created a path for the brawler to travel that's mostly free of attacks of opportunity. Our entire lives come down to whether or not the brawler can somehow leap 15 feet up a wall and kill the Vrock before it kills us. Just looking at the hit points that it has, we determine that it's not possible. We're all pretty sad, knowing that we are about to die, when we work out how the brawler can save us all.

The brawler was a new class at the time. It's a crazy class with a feature called Martial Flexibility that allows it to take combat feats that the character otherwise doesn't possess. It's been a few years, and I don't play Pathfinder anymore so it's hard for me to remember the specifics, but we agonized for days over how to resolve this and eventually came up with a series of feats (I think it was the Spring Attack Style among other things) to unlock with Martial Flexibility that allowed General Vedder to run, jump, and climb up the 15 foot wall to deliver a single Stunning Strike to knock the Vrock out, and it worked! The Vrock fell to the ground unconscious, where the bloodrager and barbarian were able to finish it off and we won the super-hard boss battle.

It was, and remains to be, one of the coolest tactical game moments that I've ever been a part of, just the sheer rules mastery it took to figure out our best chances and to culminate in an unforgettable moment like that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, the Nine Hells has an HOA, but the Abyss doesn't.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Just the one, for all nine?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kavak posted:

Just the one, for all nine?

The dread archdevil Ka'Ren permits no obstacles to stand in the way of the iron law. The sulfurous fields will conform to the standards set down in times immemorial. The blackened shackles will have the necessary low reflectivity. Thus it is written.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Railing Kill posted:

I got a copy of Wanderhome for my daughter for Yule that we finally got around to breaking into. We just read the rules and made characters. My buddy is going to run the game, and it'll be the two of us as players just to give it a test run before I try to run a game for my daughter and her friends.

Character creation is a series of questions, each of which has multiple choices but you can also fill in the blank for any of them with whatever comes to mind.

My daughter made a friendly but mischievous young cat runaway who "refuses to ever be quiet, or scared." She keeps a secret locket portrait of her family, but claims (emphasis hers) to be running away "to find nicer parents." She also has a pet mantis, an adult-sized cloak that is far too big for her, and a "pokin' stick."

Critically, one of the questions the book asks of every playbook (this system's version of "class") is one question of your choosing to the person to your left, and one to your right. This lets other players shape aspects of your character, and also cements character ties. My daughter's playbook is called Ragamuffin, so one of the questions she asked me was:

"What went wrong the last time I dragged you along on a misadventure?"

At this point, I only had a playbook picked out, the Moth Tender. Moth Tenders are the setting's mail carriers. So I think about the questions and say:

"What went wrong? You stowed away in my little boxy, white mail cart. I'm on a long-distance mission and you ended up way far away from your home, and now I'm stuck with you."

I decided right there that this was going to be an odd couple dynamic. She made a cheerful rapscallion, so I made my mail carrier a bit of a grump to contrast. I started answering my questions accordingly, but not entirely. Other answers started revealing a sort of tarnished idealist hidden beneath all that grump, and maybe even a revolutionary past. He's a reindeer tasked with delivering a bag full of last-chance "dead letters" (undeliverable mail) as best he can. He has also nicknamed his stowaway "Bartleby." (I was an English professor for ten years and I love this story.)

My reindeer also has a magic scroll to deliver to an old flame, a bag of candy to deliver to a witch, and a letter to deliver to an ancient forest god.

Well, you've sold me on Wanderhome, thanks.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Leraika posted:

Well, you've sold me on Wanderhome, thanks.

:respek:

I haven't even played it yet but I'm sold on it based on the character creation alone. It's wonderful.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Back in my 2e days, we had an underworld informant who was a medusa. She wasn't actually evil and she didn't turn people into stone willy nilly, but she definitely wasn't good either - basically your typical immoral thief/gangster/weapons runner etc but with a soft spot for children and cats. Her name was Zola.

We'll see how long it takes you to get that pun. It took me years.

CobiWann posted:

Checks out; the Nine Hells is all about contracts and the Abyss is chaotic. To put it another way, it's the difference between what libetarians think they are and what they really are.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JustJeff88 posted:

Back in my 2e days, we had an underworld informant who was a medusa. She wasn't actually evil and she didn't turn people into stone willy nilly, but she definitely wasn't good either - basically your typical immoral thief/gangster/weapons runner etc but with a soft spot for children and cats. Her name was Zola.

We'll see how long it takes you to get that pun. It took me years.

Checks out; the Nine Hells is all about contracts and the Abyss is chaotic. To put it another way, it's the difference between what libetarians think they are and what they really are.

I have a feeling more than a few people already know the pun these days, since it's a Hearthstone card.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

senrath posted:

I have a feeling more than a few people already know the pun these days, since it's a Hearthstone card.

I don't play hearthstone and it only took me a minute to figure it out. Not as much fun as Dusa the head housekeeper in Hades tho

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Captain Walker posted:

I don't play hearthstone and it only took me a minute to figure it out. Not as much fun as Dusa the head housekeeper in Hades tho

Oh, get over yourself. I was 14 or so at the time and had no idea that such a cheese even existed.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
They didn't have exotic cheeses back then, only american and everything tasted like second hand smoke.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ominous Jazz posted:

They didn't have exotic cheeses back then, only american and everything tasted like second hand smoke.

I grew up in the UK, which has fantastic hard cheeses. I had just never heard of this particular Italian cheese.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

JustJeff88 posted:

I grew up in the UK, which has fantastic hard cheeses. I had just never heard of this particular Italian cheese.

You could have chosen to lie instead of doing this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

no, it's true, the UK has no cheese experience. Back in the '00s a bunch of uk harry potter fans got really mad that someone wrote Hermoine as having "pepper jack" cheese as her favorite, because nobody in the UK had ever heard of this American invention, and started cyberbullying the author because that cheese clearly meant it was a self insert.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tunicate posted:

no, it's true, the UK has no cheese experience. Back in the '00s a bunch of uk harry potter fans got really mad that someone wrote Hermoine as having "pepper jack" cheese as her favorite, because nobody in the UK had ever heard of this American invention, and started cyberbullying the author because that cheese clearly meant it was a self insert.

I like Double Gloucester.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
How do you flesh out a campaign setting from an idea?

I have an idea for a campaign that was fall of Rome but with magic - massive empire collapses due to infighting, the mage-consuls turned warlords cast such great magics in their conflicts that it exhausts the mana of the land for generations, the ruined magical engines of empire stand unused because nobody has the knowledge or mana to use them - and now, on the agrarian fringes of empire, the players find the magic is starting to creep back into the world.

Just not sure where to go further from that central idea

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Honestly, what I do is think about who'd be interesting to interact with and make a few other NPCs who can compare and contrast that and spread them around. Eventually you get a big web of stuff that's kind of interconnected that you can flub things a bit for your players for the bits that are gray/undefined

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We're at a really really tough point in our campaign after a lot of fuckups and are basically leaving town with our tails between our legs after getting repeatedly hosed up by a wizard. We really need to head back to the city to lick our wounds, but decide to take one last crack at the wizard by ambushing him after he heard we left town. We send our half-ling rogue back into town to get some info and suggest he disguise himself.

So he goes into the general store and asks our shopkeeper for "the opposite of what I'm wearing". Our DM loves loving with on this kind of thing and offers him a bright red jester outfit (with bells on the hat) or a giant baby costume.

So shortly thereafter, we get to witness our rogue standing on a chair, in a jester's outfit, bells clinking away, having an impassioned discussion with the despondent mayor who is on the verge of giving in to the bandits he hired us to fight.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 3, 2022

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Canuck-Errant posted:

How do you flesh out a campaign setting from an idea?

I have an idea for a campaign that was fall of Rome but with magic - massive empire collapses due to infighting, the mage-consuls turned warlords cast such great magics in their conflicts that it exhausts the mana of the land for generations, the ruined magical engines of empire stand unused because nobody has the knowledge or mana to use them - and now, on the agrarian fringes of empire, the players find the magic is starting to creep back into the world.

Just not sure where to go further from that central idea

From this I'd go in two directions: the short term and the long term.

Short term:

How do the players begin in this setting? Are they farmers? Soldiers? Tradesmen? I'd then concoct a small encounter to deliver the message that magic is returning. Maybe sheep are winging up dead, killed by some unseen force. Or maybe they're being born with blue wool or two heads, or something. Maybe those mutant sheep are being mutated by an evil spirit that has come into the region because it was attracted by the returning magic? Maybe the PCs have been hired to investigate strange phenomena by local villagers and the phenomena are being caused by said spirit.

Long term:

This is the campaign arc and the framework that gets the PCs to 20th (or higher) level. Why is the magic returning? Is something causing it? Perhaps we have an Az-type situation where some long-forgotten god is stirring and it's pissed for being forgotten. This long term arc probably won't survive its original conception as the players interactions with the world give you a better idea about the world itself, but it's a framework that creates the end goal: What does "winning the campaign" look like? A god slain? A benevolent Magic fully returned? A malevolent Magic prevented from returning?

In your case, "magic" might be the push-pull against which the PCs labor, or perhaps "magic" is the harbinger for something wonderful or terrible. Either way, the characters should be at the center of the action, causing a thing to occur or preventing a thing from occurring.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 3, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I like the idea of starting the intrigue with something whimsical, like sheep that are lemon yellow or neopolitan ice cream-coloured, rather than something grotesque. Change of pace from the usual fare.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

X-COM has officially acquired custody of a 15 year old child and captured a traumatized hitherto unknown great ape.

It's been a busy month.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Welcome our new recruit: Bigfoot with a shotgun.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 4, 2022

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A necromancer killing a farmer's flock and sending Zombified Sheep after his shepherds? Mildly amusing, since sheep are herbivores.

A necromancer killing a farmer's flock and sending Ghoulified Sheep after his shepherds? Terrifying (but still kind of amusing).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This week's session of Destiny RPG had yet more antics.

So the fireteam has gone through a Vex portal and entered Neon Hell, or the mindscape of Vex Mind that they are there to put a stop to.

In the process we also learn that it's tainted by the Darkness. Fun times.

Either way, after loving around with a obelisk made out of Darkness, we rouse the vex mind sufficiently for it to show up and want to stomp us.

During which one of the goblin units on the field turn out to be the real monster, managing to dish out over 20 damage twice.
One of those being more than enough to kill my Hunter. Sadly this time no glorious counter kill, just a case of using that final action to duck behind cover and then die.

She gets revived two rounds later and repays the favour by throwing a grenade into a cluster of Vex that was mobbing around the Warlock, killing the goblins that did her in and a Hydra as payback.

Before long the shields around the Mind is gone and then Warlock one shots it with a Nova Bomb. :v:
The player managing to roll near max damage in the process.

Which put a very quick end to the boss fight if anything.

Also gonna drop down this conversation as another highlight:

quote:

Dihya, Devouring One: "I would be eager to interface with the Kell of Seraphs, if his knowledge of these artifacts is as grand as you imply."
Amun-23 puts his fists on his hips, looking down at the warlock.
Amun-23: "Interface ?"
Dihya, Devouring One: "There is a resonance to them that excites my curiosity." Dihya sweeps her hand over the orb's surface. "Secrets that await to be revealed."
Dihya, Devouring One pauses, turning to Amun, her head tilted to one side
Liliana quirks her head sideways as she looks at Dihya.

Liliana: "What kind of ideas are you getting all of a sudden?"
Dihya, Devouring One: "Yes. Professionally. As one scholar to another."
"Are you implying something more?"
Liliana: "Strange choice of words, that's all."
Amun-23: "I am only inferring a unique choice of word considering Eketro's biological nature. He is no machine."
"A single trip to the Network and you speak as Amun does. How curious."
Dihya, Devouring One swivels back and forth between Amun and Liliana, her blank helm betraying little of her thoughts
Dihya, Devouring One: "The Kell, clearly, is no stranger to daring and innovative thought, unburdened by the fears of...smaller minds. I hope only to converse with him as something like an equal, and thus expand my own knowledge of the artefacts we have recovered."
Liliana: "Uh-huh."
Amun-23: "Interface"
Amun-23 speaks the word with visible amusement, turning back toward the Skiff and chasing after the Eliksni.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, my Necromancer is not automatically the strongest one in the party because he does the most deadlifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
According to CobiWann's DM, Bigby's Clenched Fist violates both the letter and the spirit of the Marquess of Queensbury rules.