Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm considering the networking setup at my home. Key information
- I've got ~60/20 Internet coming in - best available until proper fibre is rolled out here (UK) sometime in the next few years.
- House is about 2000sq ft (2 stories) with about the same in garden at the back. Walls are fairly solid although not a 100-year-old house so not ridiculous.
- Internet use is nothing extreme (3 people with video calls/streaming/browsing), not 4K as no 4K TV and no plans to go 4K anytime soon - I don't care about the quality.
- Few IoT devices - I find Alexa and the like a bit creepy.
- Minimal ability to put ethernet cables in walls to improve the situation.
- No Wi-Fi 6 devices but my new laptop will be when I get it later in the year.

Currently I've got the router upstairs and then PowerLine connectors to act as hotspots + allow me to plug in the two wired devices needed (server + TV). The Wi-Fi is kinda terrible and devices are not great at swapping between the networks and sometimes sit on a weaker one when a better one is available. The Wi-Fi in the garden is also pretty terrible.

To fix this, I was thinking of going for a mesh network. I'd need the satellites to have ethernet options to plug in the TV + server so eg the Amazon Eero mentioned earlier in the thread wouldn't work. I've seen lots of different solutions (Velop, Eero, Orbi, Google, TP-Link) and so many conflicting reviews about which ones are best. One lot of reviews said Orbi is great and I was trying to decide between https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk753/ and https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk53s/. Main difference seeming to be Wi-Fi 6 which mainly seems to be for making it last longer in the future and possibly better signal quality.

Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Red_Fred posted:

I was going to buy a new Ubiquiti AP (to replace my out of support UAP) and a managed switch to power some POE devices. However it’s been like 3+ months and the APs are still out of stock everywhere.

I’m thinking I’ll go TP Link Omada instead. A bit cheaper and all in stock. I know I’ll have to rebuild the controller/settings for the Wi-Fi but should everything else work as expected?

I run an ER-X from my fibre connection.

You don’t need to even install the controller; my EAP610 has a web GUI that I set everything up from without having to install the app or controller and I found it way easier/faster than setting up an UAP.

Just be warned they don’t support UNII-2-extended channels on any tp-link AP last time I checked earlier this year.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Sad Panda posted:

I'd need the satellites to have ethernet options to plug in the TV + server so eg the Amazon Eero mentioned earlier in the thread wouldn't work.

Just a heads up, every Eero except the Beacon and Extender do in fact allow this. So every Eero 6 or 6 Pro would have 2 ethernet ports.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Most economical wifi for 3,200 sqft house?

Can I just buy 3-4 OpenWRT $40 "Cudy AC2100" routers, connect one to the Spectrum modem, and create a mesh?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GNFCHS

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lot of folks are raving about the TP-Link Deco XE75, for $300 you get two mesh stations plus real WiFi 6E 6 GHz WiFi, not plain old 6 which is 2.4/5 GHz with a hat put on it.

You can run either a long Ethernet cable between the two stations or use the 6 GHz channel as wireless backhaul, and it's allegedly super easy to set up if you download their phone app. So much so that the app handles adding the satellite with no muss or fuss.

TBQH, it would be a good mesh system even if you only have WiFi 6 hardware, as then the 6 GHz channel will be totally dedicated to the backhaul traffic.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So I finally got my EdgeRouter 4 and it's indeed a nice little unit with its built-in power supply..

I set it up and go through the config wizard, but I notice that it shipped with firmware 1.10.7?! That was released in October 2018?!

I'll probably update it to the latest, 2.0.9 hotfix 2, but sheesh..

I turned on software bridging of the eth ports because I'm not ready to convert my EdgeRouter X to switch mode.. perhaps I might pick up a Switch Flex Mini and then disable the bridging, but I heard one YTuber say he leaves it on and still gets 900+ MB/sec on his gigabit soooo...

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

So I finally got my EdgeRouter 4 and it's indeed a nice little unit with its built-in power supply..

I set it up and go through the config wizard, but I notice that it shipped with firmware 1.10.7?! That was released in October 2018?!

I'll probably update it to the latest, 2.0.9 hotfix 2, but sheesh..

I turned on software bridging of the eth ports because I'm not ready to convert my EdgeRouter X to switch mode.. perhaps I might pick up a Switch Flex Mini and then disable the bridging, but I heard one YTuber say he leaves it on and still gets 900+ MB/sec on his gigabit soooo...

Been running 2.0.9hf2 on my ER4 for a few months and it's been solid. Kinda seems the platform has been abandoned cause CVE fixes and stuff are very few and far between.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Been running 2.0.9hf2 on my ER4 for a few months and it's been solid. Kinda seems the platform has been abandoned cause CVE fixes and stuff are very few and far between.

It’s a shame the SoC is Cavium / Marvell because even when they finally drop support / EOL the HW, it’s a good piece of kit and perfectly suitable for running another distro on… but a lot of the HW features I’m sure are locked behind some NDAs and it’d be a lift for FOSS to release an alternate distro for it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

I’m not sure what is taking so long for hf3, it’s been in early access for a month.

I love the EdgeRouter line, but drat their indifference to it sure isn’t inspiring confidence.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'm finding that with the ER4 I can sustain a lot more simultaneous video streams than I was able to with the ER-X, and the web feels snappier.. even improved the Speedometer browser score by a few points.

And I think the only consequence was that CPU went from 4 percent to maybe 12-14 percent?

I didn't even have hardware offloading enabled yet. The quad-core MIPS CPU is awesome, no wonder SGI workstations did pretty well with them..

I cleaned up the 4 GB onboard eMMC (cache folders left behind by the earlier firmware, the old system image, other stuff) and with no fancy pants other processes installed I got it from 2.4 GB free to 3 GB free as per df -h.

So far everything is smooth but I imagine I'll need to get the Switch 8 PoE when I go for gigabit FIOS.. I can't keep the software bridging enabled forever..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 28, 2022

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
anyone have any issues with their EdgeRouter X making a VPN connection crap out after after some time of being on it? I can connect to my work VPN for anywhere from 3-20 minutes and then I just start getting "website.com’s server IP address could not be found" errors.

But I'll still be connected to the VPN, which is strange. I'm assuming it's something to do with my router settings because I tried using my phone as a hotspot to determine if the router was the actual issue, and I had no issues there.

e: one thing I found is that it might be due to IP overlap and I should change the subnet? I'm a super newbie, so I would need some handholding if anyone could explain how to change this

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 28, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That almost sounds like its your ISP rather than the edgerouter.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

well i hardwired to my modem and then was on the VPN for like an hour with no issues.

I just figured out how to change my router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.2, and we're back online and on the VPN, so we'll see if this does the trick.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 28, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Do you have hardware offloading enabled?

Back during the height of the pandemic I was VPNing constantly and whenever I did have problems I was told too many people were using the VPN server; late at night it got better..

Think they either upgraded the license or equipment and things got even better..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm going to be running fibre from my house to an outbuilding, and I wanted to check a) whether I'm looking at the right one, and b) which is the right connectors to be getting. (I haven't decided on a switch yet). I'm very familiar with ethernet networking, but I have no practical experience with fibre networking.

Based on a very brief look at a reputable supplier, it seems something like this might be appropriate?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/fibre-optic-cable/7388515

Is duplex OM1 correct? Do current prosumer switches typically use SC or ST connectors (or something else)? It will be connecting a small cat 8 network to a larger one.

I was planning on using all ubuquiti stuff but in recent years they've been showing bad signs in terms of long term support of their equipment (and hardware/vendor lock-in).

I'm asking this now just because I need to run the fibre soon, but won't need the hardware until later, so if there's an obvious choice in connector and cable to future proof for common hardware, now's the time. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Caveat: Very much a fiber noob myself, but I did some research a few months ago along the same lines before forgetting about my pet project

Your actual networking hardware will take SFP/SFP+ (unless you're buying a fiber specific switch, I guess, I'm not familiar with the landscape tbh) so you have some wiggle room in that you'll need to source the appropriate SFP module for your desired cable.

The actual cable (OM/OM2/etc) will depend on the length of the run and your target bandwidth as well as maybe some other black magic.

This guide seems to recite most of what I remember learning: https://www.fiber-optic-transceiver-module.com/how-to-choose-fiber-optic-cable-for-10g-sfp-optical-transceiver.html

But as always maybe look at putting together your requirements (target bandwidth, length of run), then try to find the appropriate cable based on those, see what they go for online, use those cable specs (price/connector type) to see which SFP modules would be appropriate (connector type, etc). Once you get down to the networking hardware you're pretty much just plug and play IIRC.

Of course given the caveat I may have just said something monumentally stupid. I stand ready to be corrected.

I've also decided to put Ubiquiti into the cold cold ground. Their WiFi stuff works well enough for me, but they have some frustratingly glaring feature omissions on the UDM that has me cursing every time I want to do something a little fancier than a super common no-frills network.

e: Or even super common stuff like dynamic routing protocols.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 29, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gotcha, I’ll have a read.

Target length is around 30m. The networks on each side will be 10 to 40Gb (based on the Ethernet cable spec), so while it would be nice to be able to run multiple devices at full speed, I’m sure 10Gb for the link would be fine, at least based on what I’m seeing here.

At worst it’s going through a conduit so I. An pull a new cable if needed.

There’s a 30m run of LC/LC om2 here at around £85 which states 10Gb, so maybe that’ll do.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
guess who's got two thumbs, just spent about eight hours benchmarking and writing down results and just realized that the reason why they're only getting 890/600 on symmetric gigabit over fiber is probably because of a bad wire? This schmuck, that's who!

edit: Guess who also can't find their length of 50 foot CAT6!

edit edit: you can loving call me Cassandra right now, because this is the vindication I needed when I said that the existing pulls in the walls needed to be ripped out and replaced back when the walls didn't have sheetrock on them three years ago.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 3, 2022

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is duplex OM1 correct? Do current prosumer switches typically use SC or ST connectors (or something else)? It will be connecting a small cat 8 network to a larger one.

OM1 cabling is wrong. That's multimode cable that probably has a layer of warehouse dust on it from never being used any more.

You want single mode duplex upc. There are two types of connectors that are generally used these days: SC, which are larger and used on patch panels, and LC which is the connector used on sfp transceivers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

unknown posted:

OM1 cabling is wrong. That's multimode cable that probably has a layer of warehouse dust on it from never being used any more.

You want single mode duplex upc. There are two types of connectors that are generally used these days: SC, which are larger and used on patch panels, and LC which is the connector used on sfp transceivers.

Righto. What sort of transmission rate am I realistically going to get? Because if it's circa 10Gb/s then I might as well just use the structural cat 8 that I already have left over on a reel.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Righto. What sort of transmission rate am I realistically going to get? Because if it's circa 10Gb/s then I might as well just use the structural cat 8 that I already have left over on a reel.

Single mode fiber is only really limited by the transceivers you use on it. You can get 400GB/s if you really want, just be ready to pay a lot of money to do it.

If you already have true cat8 ethernet cable, and it's less than 100 meters, just use that. 10GB/s to an outbuilding on your property will probably be fine for at least another 25+ years.

Inept fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 30, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Unless you want to shell out big bucks, you won't want to pay for anything above 10G, you can totally do 25G, 40G or 100G no problem if you pay for it though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wow, I just happened to be shuffling around on the Ubiquiti store and they say they have Switch Lite 8 PoEs in stock!

Grabbed a couple of those bad babies before they sold out.. should be able to free up quite a bit of space on my surge strips with less AC injectors..

Anyone have a favorite vendor for PoE cables?

It's a little disconcerting to see some YouTube bearded wonders stop recommending Ubiquiti products mostly because 'LOL never in stock' though..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inept posted:

If you already have true cat8 ethernet cable, and it's less than 100 meters, just use that. 10GB/s to an outbuilding on your property will probably be fine for at least another 25+ years.

I didn't want to be telling porkies so I double checked, looks like I installed cat 7a 1200MHz cable, so not quite cat 8 but IIRC cat 8 wasn't considered a "true standard" at the time (this was 2017). I believe I installed it with the understanding that it would be reliable 10Gb with a theoretical maximum of 40Gb as a bit of future proofing.

SEKCobra posted:

Unless you want to shell out big bucks, you won't want to pay for anything above 10G, you can totally do 25G, 40G or 100G no problem if you pay for it though.

Yeah I'm OK with some investment, but I absolutely don't need it enough to spend significant amounts on it. Honestly even the cost of the SFP modules was looking prohibitive.

It's less than a 30m run, so I'll just use the 7a copper.

The slightly regrettable part is that I've already run a "this is fibre" green conduit with a "warning fibre below" tape above it per regulations. Oh well! It's all very low voltage anyway.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 30, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
OM1 is fine for that, if you want to run it anyway. The spec is 10G at 33m.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

teen phone cutie posted:

well i hardwired to my modem and then was on the VPN for like an hour with no issues.

I just figured out how to change my router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.2, and we're back online and on the VPN, so we'll see if this does the trick.

just to give a resolution here, it was the IP pool. Apparently, it's good practice to not use 0.xxx, 1.xxx, or 2.xxx when dealing with VPNs according to this guy

https://community.ui.com/questions/...c7-458dee708621

Changed my router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.2 and now it's not clashing with my work VPN.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I'm looking for a 10Gb switch for the home network and I'm confused as hell as to what's available out there. I need 12 1Gb ports minimum so that means a 16+ port switch with 1 or 2 10Gb ports would be nice. One switch that I found is https://www.ebay.ca/itm/125393524540?epid=4012067490&hash=item1d3209573c:g:KvIAAOSw3nJfUsyO . The price looks reasonable and it seems that it can do what I want just fine. And it seems to be rack mountable as well.

Is there anything better out there (ebay, used) that I should be looking at? One major point for my confusion is that it seems that a lot of the switches have their 10Gb port(s) mainly for inter-switch communication, for stacking. And with weird ports: CX4, X2, XFP ... Or some, like an IBM one I saw, it's full with SFP ports, which would mean that I'd have to buy transceivers. I am perfectly fine with 1 or 2 10Gb ports over copper RJ45, CAT6 since the distances are small.

Other switches I've seen: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/164838383227?hash=item2661221e7b:g:tuMAAOSwLYRgiYyt
Or this one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334393151857?hash=item4ddb629171:g:rtUAAOSwz~NiPNdO which comes with CX4/X2 module which I have no idea if I can use or do what I want.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
How many 10ge ports do you need?

Used switches have climbed massively on ebay because Cisco has 6 month lead times and refreshes are delayed. You used to be able to get a 48 port mgig switch with 12 1/2.5/5/10 ports and 36 1gig ports for $700. You could add another 8 SFP+ 10gig ports for $100. Now it's more like $1400. You might want to set some alerts for some models and see if you can get lucky. Searching for model #s instead of mgig may help.

That said, these wouldn't be switches you'd want to put in a living space due to fan noise. Great in a basement or something. They're absolute workhorses with 60w POE.

Edit: another option depending on port count would be a 1gig switch with a pair of 10gig uplinks, alongside a smaller fanless 10ge switch. Netgear XS508M as an example would get you 7 mgig copper ports good for up to 10gig, along with a single SFP+ port to uplink to one of the many used enterprise 1ge switches with SFP+ uplinks.

KS fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I only need 1x10Gbe port as the connection to my gateway (for which I'll buy a 10Gbe card). But, 2x10G ports would be nice, so that I have have another 10G link to my VMs server. But that's not critical. The rest of the ports (I need 12 of those minimum) can stay 1Gb. I'd love for them all to be 10G to be honest, but I'm not gonna pay through the nose for such a thing.

About that Netgear XS508M: The SFP+ "uplink" port is in "combo" mode with the 8th port. Does that mean that only one or the other can be used? But, will it be just normal 10G if I connect it to a 10G card? Anyway, that particular switch has too few 1Gb ports, but otherwise, yeah, that would do for me. Used, of course, not the $778CAD I see it is on Amazon.ca . That's an absurd price for a switch. It needs to do breakfast, coffee and walk the dog for that money.

What models should I look for on ebay ? Or should I just go with some switch with fewer ports and just daisy-chain to some other normal 1Gb switches?
The switch would be in the basement so noise would not be a factor (to a point).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 3, 2022

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yes, combo ports you can use either the copper or the fiber interface but not both.

If you just need 1-2, there are many 1gig switches with 2-4 10gbit SFP+ ports on the used market, but if you want copper 10gbit uplinks that's not really an enterprise feature so you'll have to look for new.

Examples:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284879877179 with POE
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/192757290998 without
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/164838383227 without

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KS posted:

Yes, combo ports you can use either the copper or the fiber interface but not both.

If you just need 1-2, there are many 1gig switches with 2-4 10gbit SFP+ ports on the used market, but if you want copper 10gbit uplinks that's not really an enterprise feature so you'll have to look for new.

Examples:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284879877179 with POE
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/192757290998 without
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/164838383227 without

Thanks, that was helpful. Now I know what to look for.

About the 10G uplinks, I'm not dead-set on copper, but:

- The main reason I'm looking to get a 10G switch is because I want to get the 3Gbps internet plan (FTTH) that my isp is offering.
- The modem that the ISP is mandating to be used has a 10G eth port to which I can connect and authenticate via ppoe so that I can just bypass the modem and just get 10G speed from my gateway (well, it'll be 3Gbps but still).
- So I need 1x10G eth card for my gateway.
- But since that gateway has a mini ATX MB, with only one free pcie slot, I was thinking to get a 10G card with 2 ports. So one port has to be eth, unless I want to go with SFP+ RJ45 module but I've heard that those can get really hot (from the interwebs, so dunno how true is this). SFP+ DAC seems to be cheaper and run cooler.
- But, as I've said before , this is all hearsay from the internets, as I really have no idea wtf im doing here.
- Whatever 10G network card(s) I get , I would like them to run on OpenBSD, and from what I could tell, Intel chips are working well there.
- Or I could upgrade the MB on the gateway as well, as now I have a bigger case and don't truly need for that MB to be mini and just get two 10G cards, one RJ45 and one SFP+ .

Sorry for the ramblings, but that's how my "plan" looks so far. I hope to have it done in a few months after the summer and the vacations are over (and the wallet stops bleeding).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

guess who's got two thumbs, just spent about eight hours benchmarking and writing down results and just realized that the reason why they're only getting 890/600 on symmetric gigabit over fiber is probably because of a bad wire? This schmuck, that's who!

edit: Guess who also can't find their length of 50 foot CAT6!

edit edit: you can loving call me Cassandra right now, because this is the vindication I needed when I said that the existing pulls in the walls needed to be ripped out and replaced back when the walls didn't have sheetrock on them three years ago.

Yeah, uh, so I found my 50 foot length of CAT6. Turns out it was exactly where it was supposed to be, just buried under a poo poo-ton of other cables in the cables bin.

And once again, with a direct attachment from my computer, straight into AT&T's residential gateway, still gives me ~900/~650. Line speed using the BGW210's internal speed test tool reports almost full gigabit @ 990+/990+, so the download's coming down to ~900 Mbps due to Ethernet is entirely expected, but that upload number is weird.

Again, I am loathe to make too much noise on this to my ISP (who is reselling AT&T's service). This is still an incredible improvement... I was paying the same amount for 400/10 a week ago, but that upload number is weird.

edit: It's Sonic.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 3, 2022

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Try with a different computer if it's a generic PC - lots of computers surprisingly can't keep up transmitting or even receiving at gig rates as internal buffers fill up due to bad programming of the speed test client. (eg, random rumber generator for the payload data can only produce 500mbps).

The built in speed test was designed to hit those speeds, so it'll be relatively accurate.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Volguus posted:

About the 10G uplinks, I'm not dead-set on copper, but:

All makes sense.

For a while, you couldn't get a 10GBASE-T (aka copper 10 gbit) SFP+ transceiver because the power need exceeded the SFP+ budget. That's since changed but the power draw is why they run hot. There are still compatibility issues to be aware of. Not every switch will support them. The PCIE card will, though, so you could probably go with a dual SFP+ card with one copper and one fiber transceiver.

You have another problem here which is pppoe performance on BSD is hot garbage thanks to this 2nd source. You will have trouble hitting 1 gbit let alone 3. You may want to avoid Intel. Just be forewarned it's going to take experimenting.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, uh, so I found my 50 foot length of CAT6. Turns out it was exactly where it was supposed to be, just buried under a poo poo-ton of other cables in the cables bin.

And once again, with a direct attachment from my computer, straight into AT&T's residential gateway, still gives me ~900/~650. Line speed using the BGW210's internal speed test tool reports almost full gigabit @ 990+/990+, so the download's coming down to ~900 Mbps due to Ethernet is entirely expected, but that upload number is weird.

Again, I am loathe to make too much noise on this to my ISP (who is reselling AT&T's service). This is still an incredible improvement... I was paying the same amount for 400/10 a week ago, but that upload number is weird.

edit: It's Sonic.

I have a BGW210-700 with AT&T 1G service and consistently get >900M on both upload and download from my desktop connected to it with Cat6. I'd also wonder if there's something about your NIC or software holding you back.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

unknown posted:

Try with a different computer if it's a generic PC - lots of computers surprisingly can't keep up transmitting or even receiving at gig rates as internal buffers fill up due to bad programming of the speed test client. (eg, random rumber generator for the payload data can only produce 500mbps).

The built in speed test was designed to hit those speeds, so it'll be relatively accurate.

Eletriarnation posted:

I have a BGW210-700 with AT&T 1G service and consistently get >900M on both upload and download from my desktop connected to it with Cat6. I'd also wonder if there's something about your NIC or software holding you back.

Thank you for the hint about the NIC.

Because of it, I checked my drivers. Turns out it was still using the one packed in with Windows 10 since 2015. Decided what the hell, let's update those just because I can and it probably loses me nothing. Updating it with the latest version off MSI's website has given me the full ~900/900 expected, and cleared up a few intermittent network issues I'd been having.

edit: I am now 3 for 3 in updating Realtek drivers resulting in improved upload speeds.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 3, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KS posted:

All makes sense.

For a while, you couldn't get a 10GBASE-T (aka copper 10 gbit) SFP+ transceiver because the power need exceeded the SFP+ budget. That's since changed but the power draw is why they run hot. There are still compatibility issues to be aware of. Not every switch will support them. The PCIE card will, though, so you could probably go with a dual SFP+ card with one copper and one fiber transceiver.

You have another problem here which is pppoe performance on BSD is hot garbage thanks to this 2nd source. You will have trouble hitting 1 gbit let alone 3. You may want to avoid Intel. Just be forewarned it's going to take experimenting.

Those links are about FreeBSD not OpenBSD. Been running 1Gbps pppoe for a few years now and it hits 940-960Mbps in speed tests. And downloads .... I've seen it hitting 90MB/s on good days. But now im not using those 10G drivers, it's just the "em" driver so ... who knows how it will behave then. I guess I'll have to look at their mailing lists to see what problems people are reporting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KS posted:

It looks to me like they're using ppp(8) which is also known as user-ppp and exists because it's not exactly trivial to rootcause ppp issues in kernel-space unless you really love dropping to a debugger.

The user-space daemon above is really meant to be combined with ng_ppp(4)/ng_pppoe(4) via netgraph(3), with the idea being that you figure out how to configure ppp using user-ppp along with a call script, and then transition it to using net/mpd5 as described here (and many other places).
It can also do multi-homing, which is how people did +256kbps on ISDN back in the 90s, which is when netgraph was create.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 3, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm having some trouble with my UID VPN. I've got the following network defined that I want to use for the VPN:

First I left the Gateway IP/Subnet blank on my UID VPN config:

I was able to connect and it assigned me an IP from the default network 192.168.1.1/24. This grants access to everything in my network, which I don't want.

So then I changed the Gateway IP/Subnet to 192.168.37.1/29 and reconnected to the VPN, but then I had no internet access and wasn't able to access anything on the network.

I've got a few firewall rules at play here as well:
  • Allow the VPN network to access syncthing on my NAS
  • Block the VPN network from accessing all other networks (cameras, IoT, desktop computer, etc)

The goal is to only allow the VPN network to access syncthing. I'm not sure why I lose all internet access though, I keep going through the config and can't figure out what I screwed up.

I tried using Teleport (wireguard) but it seems to be a pretty new feature and Unifi doesn't let you specify which network the Teleport clients are assigned to, and it doesn't seem to have a one-click solution for Windows. That's why I'm going the UID VPN route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My 6½ year old ubiquiti edgerouter lite started to buzz like a mofo. The sound is really awful. Seems no products are in stock, anywhere, at least in Europe. What to do? Suffer the sound until it breaks, and buy whatever garbage I can find to replace my ERL?