Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm impressed at how quickly the tech crew can bring up the 'thats never happened before' graphic when people say it. I feel like I'd be leaning back sipping on a coffee and would fall out of my chair as I rushed to slap the button and make the graphic appear, but they're ON IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxyclean posted:

eh

replaying it on the switch collection gave me a lot of moments of frustration where making a small adjustment would have mario doing a weird half circle turn and throwing himself off the small ledge I was on

Don't get me wrong, it was amazing for the time, and is probably by no means "bad" but again, I had a lot of control related frustrations doing a casual 120.

Playing Mario 64 on modern controllers is misleading. A fresh, non-worn-down N64 controller analog stick is way more precise and responsive than modern (more robust) implementations and SM64 is tailored to it.

Of course later Mario games refined and homogenized the stranger quirks of SM64 but the nuance and expressiveness of 64 Mario's moveset is nearly unmatched in the whole of game design.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorWhat posted:

Playing Mario 64 on modern controllers is misleading. A fresh, non-worn-down N64 controller analog stick is way more precise and responsive than modern (more robust) implementations and SM64 is tailored to it.

yeah i have several near-perfect n64 controllers and comparing sm64 on those compared with my switch pro controller, there is no contest, the n64 controller is just insanely smoother

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ugh, jokes about Rick and Morty are exhausting

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Of course later Mario games refined and homogenized the stranger quirks of SM64 but the nuance and expressiveness of 64 Mario's moveset is nearly unmatched in the whole of game design.

fair, it dawned one me that something like this was probably part of the reason for my experience.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Agent355 posted:

The baby is cute tho

Esp when it kicks BOOTED OFF THE MOUNTAIN.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Ugh, jokes about Rick and Morty are exhausting

Especially ones that are stretching as hard as that one.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah i have several near-perfect n64 controllers and comparing sm64 on those compared with my switch pro controller, there is no contest, the n64 controller is just insanely smoother

They were so good, the stick is massive and has so much movement. When new, when used they are hilariously slack.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat I was wondering if he was on WR pace or not and he sure was

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

goddamn being on wr pace in sm64 during gdq is bonkers lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

medibot heck yeah

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"Ukikipedia"

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Game so optimized, this is amazing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravus posted:

Game so optimized, this is amazing.

there's a joke about how SM64 should be a college course at this point but it may as well be with how thoroughly it's been stripped apart and analyzed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

And that's before you start talking about parallel universes

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DoctorWhat posted:

And that's before you start talking about parallel universes

How do you press half a button?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I know more money = gooder but it would be really funny if the pokemon run failed to get met again

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

By watching 4 hours of bismuth videos.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I know more money = gooder but it would be really funny if the pokemon run failed to get met again

It won't, but it WOULD be really funny.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

AUGH this joke is rancid

Cernunnos posted:

Very carefully.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

please no

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

i would not be surprised if they've got someone hovering a hand over a big red button labeled "TWITCH" to parachute in the last $15k~

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oo boy that was uh

Not great

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Whiteness confirmed

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

there's a joke about how SM64 should be a college course at this point but it may as well be with how thoroughly it's been stripped apart and analyzed

Professor Summoning Salt Presents: A Survey of SMB64

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This run is a blast and the skill level is amazing, but I'm not in love with simply as a commentator tbh.

Doesn't really matter, but not my vibe.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Professor Summoning Salt Presents: A Survey of SMB64

Summoning Salt isn't a serious academic he's at best Bill Nye. Decent speed science communicator offering simplified and shallow explanations.

Bismuth is a professor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

excuse me what

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

IcePhoenix posted:

excuse me what

You just move the Mario

so simple

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if only he could do the ttc red coin upwarp strat

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

excuse me what

That was the hottest poo poo ive ever seen happen in a video game. It is wild to me how SMB64 absolutely nailed what movement should be in a 3d platformer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

simply flip a bit using a cosmic ray to ascend up the clocktower faster

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lmao the crowd dude loudly shouting "what" to "did you know Togepi is an egg"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Can we put a permanent moratorium on all singing and poetry at GDQ evens?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Second.

Make it go the way of the body pillows on the couch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That’s some early GDQ quality singing

also you ban singing and nerdery and then people will just whine about the event being too professional and corporate

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
GDQ Poetry Corner is good

The singing is hit or miss

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorWhat posted:

rubiehart's two songs were actually good so just restrict singing to her

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

That was the hottest poo poo ive ever seen happen in a video game. It is wild to me how SMB64 absolutely nailed what movement should be in a 3d platformer.

it reminds me a lot of DOOM where they were effectively inventing an entire genre and somehow managed to nail the core gameplay first try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Most of those limericks have absolutely no sense of meter, it's horrible. The Pokemon parody had decent syllabics but it being sung made me want to be dead.