Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

W2 Exdeath is the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

W2 Exdeath is the issue.

choploco posted:

Hey, I was just wondering what level were your characters at when you beat Neo ExDeath? I'm trying to figure out what levels I should be near the endgame, since I'm in the Merged World and I have a bit left to go. (Like 10 more bosses; but that'll be a decent grind, if I'm lucky.)

Oracle becomes available after unlocking all the 12 legendary weapons iirc, so not quite post-game but pretty close.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Almagest shouldn't be an issue with your team because Shell halves the damage in GBA. It's only the recent PR remaster where Shell is useless against Almagest.

choploco
Dec 1, 2021

i like chex quest. i like rpg,

Hellioning posted:

Isn't Almagest only used by the final boss, though? You can get oracle before that.

It says that you can get the Advance jobs after getting the four tablets and the twelve weapons, so yeah, presumeably by then I can unlock Oracle before I fight NED. The bonus dungeon is for Omega and Shinryu.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

choploco posted:

The bonus dungeon is for Omega and Shinryu.
Also incorrect. Omega and Shinryu are both in the Void (and in every version of the game) and can be fought before NED, if you wish. The GBA dungeon, the Sunken Temple, is hell that no one should ever play, with such superstars as "Omega with extra gently caress you", "Shinryu with extra gently caress you", and Enuo (which is Ancient Ronkan for 'I hate fun'). Walk in, get your Oracle crystal, and leave.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 2, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

This is the worst party I've ever had to deal with in a fiesta. (Lenna's a Red Mage)

Berserkers are pretty okay, for the most part, but man their complete inability to focus is a big problem on NED; I really only won because their shared braincell decided to focus on the almagest piece most of the time.

choploco
Dec 1, 2021

girl dick energy posted:

Also incorrect. Omega and Shinryu are both in the Void (and in every version of the game) and can be fought before NED, if you wish. The GBA dungeon, the Sunken Temple, is hell that no one should ever play, with such superstars as "Omega with extra gently caress you", "Shinryu with extra gently caress you", and Enuo (which is Ancient Ronkan for 'I hate fun'). Walk in, get your Oracle crystal, and leave.

Oh, thanks for that. I'm glad I saved myself before doing something really stupid.

I find that a lot of bonus dungeons in GBA ports are awful or unecessary, and usually take like 10 hours to complete for no reason other than that the people who designed them are sadists.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Sealed Temple also is just flat out not doable under Fiesta rules unless you have a Thief, a Beastmaster and something with a strong non-elemental attack.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
You'll need a thief, for running. You'll need a source of non-elemental magic damage.

e: btw that second picture in the meme image is a room full of omegas.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

girl dick energy posted:

I remember when Square took the iOS version down, in order to sell the Pixel Remaster, the Steam forums were full of people complaining about the loss of GBA content (which the iOS version had retained).

While officially I feel like all games (and all versions of all games) deserve to be preserved and readily available, off the record we didn't lose anything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The coolest thing lost in the transition is the Cannoneer, honestly, which is basically 'Chemist but not less broken'.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I can respect wanting the jobs back, but most of the posts I read were lamenting the loss of the Sealed Temple.

I didn't care for the extra content in the Chrono Trigger DS port either, which felt very stapled on. Chrono Trigger was already a nice, lean little game, so the extra content felt very superfluous. Sometimes less is more.

choploco
Dec 1, 2021

Jesus gently caress, the Wendigo fight in the Island Temple is the most insufferable thing. It felt like it took me 2 hours, because the whole gimmick is finding out which is the real one (out of four of them), so it was entirely luck. Surprised I eventually beat it, I didn't think I would.

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I can respect wanting the jobs back, but most of the posts I read were lamenting the loss of the Sealed Temple.

I didn't care for the extra content in the Chrono Trigger DS port either, which felt very stapled on. Chrono Trigger was already a nice, lean little game, so the extra content felt very superfluous. Sometimes less is more.

The extra ending that tied it to Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross was kind of interesting, but the whole Lost Sanctum (aka Doing 1000 Fetch Quests) probably isn't enjoyed by anyone except Satan.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There are a handful of statuses and abilities that trivialize Stoker/Wendigo, but I don’t remember if you have access to any of them.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sleep (Red Mage), also you can hit the real one with a 0 damaging weapon and it won't switch. !Dance is pretty OK too especially since you'll have Lamia's Tiara by then. Oh well, part of the fun is finding this stuff out!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

375 Berserker Risk: White Mage, Berserker, Ranger, Dancer

This was probably one of the rougher parties I've had in quite awhile. The quirks of the PR version probably caused some of that, though double Chicken Knives and Flirt smoothed out the ending. Flirt completely neutered Shinryu and helped quite a bit on NED. I did end up with an Almagest going off, but it missed on Bartz somehow and I managed to recover. The hardest parts of the run were Byblos (legit ended up running him out of MP since my Zerkers couldn't output enough damage to beat out the Drain after a couple of Dischords, though this led me to discover that it no longer persists through death on PR), and weirdly Atomos (felt like everyone was getting dragged a lot faster on PR than GBA, but might have just been an effect of low overall damage since I hadn't put in the time for Rapid Fire yet and Swords Dance was being very stubborn). On the other hand, I did get to enjoy Rapid Fire Staff of Light on MeatDeath, and two-shotting Rug Wizard with Swords Dance was pretty great.

nrook posted:

:toxx:

Life's Too Short

I will donate $5 for every run that doesn't use Reflect Rings randomly dropped by or stolen from enemies. It's okay to use the guaranteed drop from Leviathan and the ring found in Istory Falls.

Never bothered with any Reflect Rings on the run, just had White Mage cast Reflect on the rare instances I needed it.

Nemo2342 posted:

Are You Sure You're Using That Thing Correctly?: $1 per run (up to $25) for anyone who takes a picture of themselves attacking Omega with a class that's wielding a completely inappropriate weapon.

This is for charity so you don't actually have to KILL Omega like this, I just want to see Chemists wielding axes smacking the big dumb robot.

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, heck, I better toxx now.

:toxx: Summoner or No Summoner

$4 for every run that does not have Summoner and has all summons on their spell list
Cap $100, fifth job and void need not apply

Mustached Demon posted:

We need a name toxx so here goes y'all:

$2 for each Butz named Sanger (founder of PP) on up to $100. Names also acceptable: services PP provides so mamo, pap, BC, choice, etc.

Tangently related name in the very least.

I also took the time to collect all 12 weapons, though it seems I was a bit too slow on that one.

choploco
Dec 1, 2021

More related to the game itself, but I find it kind of odd that Enuo is only a boss in the GBA/old iOS port. He's obviously described as the supposed "true villian" and supposedly more powerful than Exdeath himself. Apparently he was planned to play more of a role in early drafts of the game, but instead is just mentioned (apart from, again, the Sealed Temple which is. lol)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I know that FFIV only ended up being about a quarter of the story they originally had planned, and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened here.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
FF3 seems to have come in a bit under target as well. Some of the dev stuff we do have is early class sprite designs and they include tier 3 upgrades for, apparently, each of the FF1/wind crystal jobs. To be exact, a Paladin-distinct-from-Knight which is a concept that got dropped until FF Origins, a second tier of Dark Knight (and both designs were repurposed into various FF5 BLU!), T3 MNK, a T3 WHM, the existing T2 BLM design while the GEO design was supposed to be T2, plus Sage and Ninja.

Makes sense for them to be dropped because there wasn't much mechanically they could have done other than getting better attack multipliers/spell charges or playing around with equipment access for the last few weapons, but it's fun to imagine the WoD as an actual world map to support the narrative room around it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually prefer Enuo as a historical reference. Threadbare as it is, his existence lends some depth to the world, which is otherwise transparently a theme park (as is the case in a lot of older RPGs). There was a great evil, but it's gone now. It gives greater context to Exdeath's plan, the splitting of the world, as a response to a greater calamity in the past. It's not much, but it's something. For a fleeting instant, the world exists as an actual place.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/subujun/status/1543389694012055559

3rd run of the fiesta down. Chaos with No 750. Rolled Berserker, Berserker, Samurai & Ninja. I had to use 4 Berserkers until I cleared the Ronkan Ruins:

https://twitter.com/subujun/status/1542319013929390080

Luckily, I've learned from my quad zerker run from last year to embrace and accept the enraged scythe-wielding maniacs. Being able to give them dual wielding via the Ninja was great. x2 Chicken Knives were very solid even with the occasional attempt at running. Backing up the auto-attackers with scrolls or zeninage was how I took care of most problems. Zeninage spam stole the show by the end and was how I could easily take down NED.

subujun fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 3, 2022

choploco
Dec 1, 2021

Finally I finished getting all the tablets and unlocked Oracle. I don't feel too excited about it, though, but I'm also really tired so it's probably that. I'll keep Krile as the Oracle for now since she's basically my best Magic user.

I admit her little princess outfit is really cute.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Picking jobs based on whose outfit you like most is the objectively correct choice.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Please god save before you use it

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

Picking jobs based on whose outfit you like most is the objectively correct choice.

Also characterisation. For instance: Butz is the perfect white mage because he lost both parents to mundane illnesses. Lenna's a blue mage because of her fascination with creatures. Faris is a summoner so she can reunite with Syldra.

(I'm kinda kidding, the characters are thin enough that you can write a lot of motivations onto them, but this is like 50% of how I pick jobs.)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

girl dick energy posted:

This is why Krile is objectively the best White Mage

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Berserker Krile vs White Mage Krile, which will win

Going purely based on fashion, Dancer/Monk/Berserker (or White Mage)/Mystic Knight is probably the best non-advance-jobs team.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

We need a name toxx so here goes y'all:

$2 for each Butz named Sanger (founder of PP) on up to $100. Names also acceptable: services PP provides so mamo, pap, BC, choice, etc.

I think we're up to 22. 28 more to fill it out!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Like Clockwork posted:

Berserker Krile vs White Mage Krile, which will win

Going purely based on fashion, Dancer/Monk/Berserker (or White Mage)/Mystic Knight is probably the best non-advance-jobs team.

Lenna or Bartz do White Mage just fine (read: "acceptable but not as good as Krile") whereas the only real berserker option is Krile. :colbert:

Similarly the only real dancer is Bartz.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I see Death accidentally bleached their robe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Also characterisation. For instance: Butz is the perfect white mage because he lost both parents to mundane illnesses.
Oh my god, I never even thought of that. What’s it like, being a genius?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

For the first time I can remember I finally got the Brave Blade, since I didn't have a safe Chicken Knife user, but I could Gunch with the brave blade if I wanted (I apparently only ran like 60 times anyway so it wasn't completely useless in straight use). And when I got tired of gunching I could always throw it....

Then I got to Mirage and was about 15k gil away from getting all my Hermes Sandals.

Brave Blade sells for 15k.

I do not regret my decision to pawn that off one bit.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Gilgabot smiles upon my second run. :psyduck:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mandoric posted:

Gilgabot smiles upon my second run. :psyduck:

Watch your other ones be dragoon and geomancer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mustached Demon posted:

Watch your other ones be dragoon and geomancer.

Joke's on you, Geomancer's one point of usefulness is as a chassis for !Mix because it has a real magic score. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Joke's on you, Geomancer's one point of usefulness is as a chassis for !Mix because it has a real magic score. :v:

I mean, if you haven't unlocked the jobs early then that means you have to be bards vs Sol Cannon. And Adamantoise.

On the flipside, if you've unlocked the jobs early then that means you have bards and ineffectual chemists against Garula, and have to grind for hours before Liquid Flame.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Garula just killed himself, antidote+kiss. l should be able to ether+eyedrops my way through Liquid Flame, no?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mandoric posted:

Garula just killed himself, antidote+kiss. l should be able to ether+eyedrops my way through Liquid Flame, no?

Hand form can slap you, but otherwise yes.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Kyrosiris posted:

I have a geomancer and it's made grinding and getting through dungeons pretty trivial. It's less good on bosses but I have a summoner and black mage for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

worm girl posted:

I have a geomancer and it's made grinding and getting through dungeons pretty trivial. It's less good on bosses but I have a summoner and black mage for those.

Yeah, Geomancer's strength is that it absolutely shreds randoms if you need to level up and/or want to push through randoms for whatever reason. (Brave Blade? lol) It's incredibly bad against a huge chunk of the bosses, though, so if it's your best unit you're turbofucked.