Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
To be fair they wrote that the rest of the audience "takes off" instead of "leaves" or "exits". So if you directly translate "take off" one of the definitions that would likely show up is for airplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Yeh, like I said language/cultural barriers lead to odd stuff like this.

A while back I talked to a guy who directed episodes of "Doug" for Nickelodeon back in the day. This was his first time he dealt with overseas production (before that he worked on in-house productions where all the animators were in the same area), and it was a learning experience for him. He recalled adding a note to the animators "Doug and Skeeter exit the scene like Jack Benny", only to get a note back "Who the hell is Jack Benny?" from the Korean studio.

It took a bit to work out the kinks with directing the animators in the other side of the world.

This is one of those subjects about animation production I'm fascinated by, mainly because we don't actually know much about what goes on in overseas studios. So I love hearing these stories.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 3, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Beeg posted:

Yeh, like I said language/cultural barriers lead to odd stuff like this.

A while back I talked to a guy who directed episodes of "Doug" for Nickelodeon back in the day. This was his first time he dealt with overseas production (before that he worked on in-house productions where all the animators were in the same area), and it was a learning experience for him. He recalled adding a note to the animators "Doug and Skeeter exit the scene like Jack Benny", only to get a note back "Who the hell is Jack Benny?" from the Korean studio.

It took a bit to work out the kinks with directing the animators in the other side of the world.

This is one of those subjects about animation production I'm fascinated by, mainly because we don't actually know much about what goes on in overseas studios. So I love hearing these stories.

It's not a kids show but there was some great stories about that sort of thing on the commentary track from the extremely short-lived Clerks cartoon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is also commentary on the dvd for the Batman crossover episodes of Superman the Animated Series that describes how the animators had Batman flying from place to place because Batman has a cape, which to the animators obviously meant that he could fly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well its a good thing that todays modern telcom tech allows for communication that only lags about a few seconds so there's no more problems ever right.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

yeah compressing all the other jobs like layout and key animator into the storyboard position has had no terrible consequences whatsoever!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Technically Fleischer was the only one to really do actual 3D. Disney just worked out a way to layer a bunch of cels and move them around separately in front of the camera, so it's just really fancy layering.

Fleischer had a whole system to place an animation cel into a physical sculpted and crafted backdrop.

Fleischer's system looks incredibly cool, but is probably way more expensive and problematic to operate, and I think in their later works they just gave up on it anyways.

Meanwhile, Looney Tunes decided to get simpler and cheaper with its backgrounds.

Nowadays, Adventure Time manages to get an impossible zoom and pan shot in its opening that I'm not really sure the technical details of how they did it, but it definitely helped to be fully digital.

Oh wow, super interesting! makes sense why they only used it for two specials then. didn't even know that's HOW they did 3D. figured it was something closer to what you described disney doing.

Dawgstar posted:

It's not a kids show but there was some great stories about that sort of thing on the commentary track from the extremely short-lived Clerks cartoon.

would love to hear what they had to say in the episode with the korean animation studio

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

I will happily maintain that the Clerks cartoon is the best thing Kevin Smith has ever done. It’s way better than it has any right to be, and the commentaries are so good too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I will happily maintain that the Clerks cartoon is the best thing Kevin Smith has ever done. It’s way better than it has any right to be, and the commentaries are so good too.

cosigned

the clerks cartoon is leagues ahead of everything else that he's been a part of and it's not even close.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mister Beeg posted:

Also, that scene in "Dexter's Lab" parodying Chuck E. Cheese, where a group of people started flying for no reason.

I could not recall this so I had to look it up and it's kind of amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWQCpLmMvk

Like, it's weird, but also the entire sequence is kind of weird? I don't think this even registered to me back then where the audience in the background just sort of slide into the air.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh wow, super interesting! makes sense why they only used it for two specials then. didn't even know that's HOW they did 3D. figured it was something closer to what you described disney doing.

They did use it for some of their black and white cartoons, I just can't find the effect in Mr. Bug Goes to Town, which was their last work before the company got bought out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTvWXh7cQB0&t=101s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

cosigned

the clerks cartoon is leagues ahead of everything else that he's been a part of and it's not even close.

I put that down to his co-showrunner whose name escapes me but had a lot of sitcom experience. I think even with Seinfeld.

Clerk's art style is great, too. The art head went on to do Kim Possible.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

SlothfulCobra posted:

They did use it for some of their black and white cartoons, I just can't find the effect in Mr. Bug Goes to Town, which was their last work before the company got bought out.

The opening titles for "Mr. Bug", where the camera pans down from the sky with all the buildings, was done with 3D models.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I put that down to his co-showrunner whose name escapes me but had a lot of sitcom experience. I think even with Seinfeld.

Clerk's art style is great, too. The art head went on to do Kim Possible.

That's Steven Silver, I believe. He was also the designer for Danny Phantom but they went "nah just draw in Butch's Style instead" so they completely wasted the opportunity.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Here's more The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 8B-2 (Again, Paramount+ is dumb and listed 2 episode 8s): Sleuth or consequences

Season 1, Episode 9A: Linc or Swim
Written by Karla Sakas Shropshire
Storyboard by Jordan Rosato
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: After the Louds are kicked out of every public pool in town Lincoln decides to buy a personal pool for the back yard. After spending half the day getting it set up he finds that his sisters have discovered it before he could get in and have taken it over. He tries to enjoy it anyways but finds himself constantly having to play the adult in the room backyard by either cleaning up his sisters messes, keeping the pool from being damaged, or chasing down the baby so it doesn't leave a floater. Fed up with their bullshit he kicks them out but quickly finds playing in a pool alone is boring. He checks in on his sisters to find that they've set up a large multi-person pool that he'd considered buying in the store. He apologizes for being a jerk and they let him hop in but he accidentally destroys it by doing a canonball. He lets them back into his personal pool having learned the value of doing things together.

Thoughts: This is a thoroughly mediocre episode only made interesting by the fact it thinks Lincoln is the bad guy for some reason. That's right, we have another Lincoln Did Nothing Wrong episode.

So where even to start? Lincoln is kicked out of every public pool for his sister's conduct. It would be one thing if Lincoln himself were responsible for getting the boot in one of the flashbacks but if something like that happened we don't see it so as far as I'm aware Lincoln is blameless. Then he spends ~his own money~ on a personal pool and gets his rear end kicked getting it set up only to have it immediately hijacked. Then, once hijacked he's not even allowed enjoy it because he's too busy keeping his sisters from fighting, wrangling babies and hosing out pee. And then to top it all off his sisters have the gall to act like he was out of line for kicking them out. It's some real bullshit I tell you what.

Themes and morals: The basic idea of the episode is that even if it's frustrating at times it's best to do activities with others rather than on your own. Which I'm okay with ~in theory~ but it's execution here just doesn't work. At no point do we see Lincoln actually have fun with his sisters before he kicks them out. He's literally just playing chaperone the whole time while his sisters show exactly zero consideration for the position they're putting him in. That's not fun and frankly just chilling alone seems WAY better by comparison. Yes Lincoln gets bored quickly once his sisters are gone, but I get the distinct impression that wouldn't have been the case if his sisters hadn't made him feel like a jerk for kicking them out and ruined the mood. In short, he only learns the show's moral because the plot needed him to.

The themes of the show also get a bit weird when it comes to Lincoln's attempts to enjoy the pool by himself. It's not just that he realizes that being alone is boring. He is actively punished with bee stings, injuries and setbacks while trying to set up the pool for trying to do so. And, like, no? Sometimes people like to do things by themselves and that's fine. Lincoln is not committing some moral transgression worthy of punishment here by trying to do one thing on his own. gently caress off, show.

Final thoughts: There was exactly one moment in this episode where I laughed and it was this half second shot of Lincoln refilling the pool after hosing out a bunch of pee. The look of utter contempt on his face contrasted with his sisters vacant smiles is absolutely perfect.

(I may or may not have recently figured out how to get animated gifs from streaming video and may or may not be looking for excuses to play with the tools)

Final Rating: Eh.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Also aren't there, like, older sisters? Why is -he- the one that has to manage them? It's really weirdly paternalistic when you think about it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is this show some guys therapy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All animation is someone's therapy, going back to some guy in the 30s hunched over a desk going "gently caress I wish I could just drop an anvil on a guy I hate"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Rise of the TMNT movie has a trailer, coming out next month
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDiinipw8A

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hahahah Casey Jones is Future Trunks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MorningMoon posted:

I don't watch this show but drat that is a well done trailer

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I am not exactly getting a good vibe from the Loud House at all. Sounds pretty mediocre.

MorningMoon posted:

I am so glad this show is still alive. It was slick as poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Is this show some guys therapy?

Chris Savino says that it pulls a lot from also growing up in a big household that was always referred to as "the loud house" by neighbors because he had like eight siblings.

Savino was also ousted from the show for sexual harassment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a Mormom Commune in the latest season of Stranger Things that plays out exactly like the Loud House.

Though I think the Louds are Quiverfull people

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I checked and the only episode I'm really looking forward to you writing up is in season 2 and bless your soul if you make it that far

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

hasn't this show been on a for a while? and they haven't introduced casey jones until now?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

hasn't this show been on a for a while? and they haven't introduced casey jones until now?

Oh no, despite Nick giving it two seasons, they did it like they did every other cartoon of theirs that's not Spongebob or Loud House related and dropped it from the main network after a season, burning off the episodes in Season Two. Luckily, they got a heads up beforehand that they probably weren't going to be renewed for another, so they basically condensed their series finale into like four episodes.

Spoilers on the Casey Jones thing In the show there is a Foot Clan intern who is a regular enemy of the Turtles. In the series finale run of episodes she identifies herself as Cassandra Jones, so that was their version of Casey, and presumably this Casey Jones is a descendant

If I remember right, the movie got the greenlight before Nick started burning off the episodes, so this is meant to just be one last big thing for the show with a thing that they didn't get to touch previously (Krang)

cartoons123 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 6, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

kidcoelacanth posted:

I checked and the only episode I'm really looking forward to you writing up is in season 2 and bless your soul if you make it that far

I think I know exactly which episode you are talking about. :negative:

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

readingatwork posted:

I think I know exactly which episode you are talking about. :negative:

Ok now I'm curious because I only watch this show passively, I need a hint on this

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

cartoons123 posted:

Ok now I'm curious because I only watch this show passively, I need a hint on this

I’m pretty sure they’re thinking of a particularly notorious episode called “No such luck”

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

I’m pretty sure they’re thinking of a particularly notorious episode called “No such luck”

Nope, L is for Love

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

kidcoelacanth posted:

Nope, L is for Love

I’m not familiar with this one. Now I’m curious what I’m in store for, lol. (Don’t tell me. I want it to be a surprise).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Potsticker posted:

I could not recall this so I had to look it up and it's kind of amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWQCpLmMvk

Like, it's weird, but also the entire sequence is kind of weird? I don't think this even registered to me back then where the audience in the background just sort of slide into the air.

I can’t stop laughing. I always thought it was some weird symbolic thing how everyone was all in on the chunky cheese machine except Dexter, but it was actually just a miscommunication? I love that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FilthyImp posted:

There's a Mormom Commune in the latest season of Stranger Things that plays out exactly like the Loud House.

Though I think the Louds are Quiverfull people

Them being Catholic is also a fairly common fandom idea

DoctorWhat posted:

Hahahah Casey Jones is Future Trunks

Which is weird considering Rise already has a Casey Jones

readingatwork posted:

Yeah that episode is wretched even by the show's pretty low standards

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

I haven't seen that one but the synopsis sounds horrific.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

I haven't seen that one but the synopsis sounds horrific.

It is legitimately one of the most rage-inducing episodes of a kid's show I've ever watched.

Anyways, have an episode of The Loud House that's still kind of bad but nowhere near as bad as No Such Luck.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 9A: Linc or Swim

Season 1, Episode 9B: Changing the baby
Written by Alec Schwimmer
Storyboard by Violaine Briat
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln is tired of having nothing in common with his sisters so he blows off Clyde to spend the day molding Lily (the baby) into a mini replica of himself by exposing her to all his favorite nerd hobbies. It seems to work until his sisters catch on and start doing the same thing. Hijinks ensue as everybody starts fighting to spend time with Lily until they agree to put Lily in the center of the room and let her pick her favorite person. She ends up picking Clyde who barges in having an exceptionally weird breakdown over being ditched for a baby and happens to have Lily's favorite blanket on him which she'd been trying to play with the whole episode. Lincoln realizes that Lily will always have her own interests no matter what he does and that he has Clyde for nerd things anyways. He offers to hang out with Clyde but he's decided to hang out with Lily instead because he's into baby things now or something I guess.

Thoughts: Setting aside how weird and terrible the ending is there's not much to talk about here since it's mostly unremarkable and boring. So let's talk about the ending instead.

Basically at the end of the episode Clyde dramatically enters his friend's house in full view of all of his sisters wearing only a diaper and bonnet because when Lincoln blew him off to play with Lily his reaction wasn't “oh, I guess he needs to babysit or something” but to assume Lincoln only wanted to play with babies now for some reason. I get that there's cartoon logic at play but even by those standards this was unhinged and probably should have resulted in both an ended friendship and a wellness check. In addition to setting off the second-hand cringe center of my brain so bad that that it gave me a stroke, it was also by far the least funny attempt at humor in the show so far. Just a full minute of the worst character in the show making a complete rear end of himself while half-naked in public for no reason. JFC show what the gently caress!? You had a perfectly mediocre thing going but then you hosed it all up by getting Clyde all over it.

Oh, did I mention that this was the same writer/storyboard artist pair that made Undie Pressure? You can tell because the episode opens with Lincoln in his underwear in public. Not implying anything, mind you. Just making observations.

Themes and morals: For what it's worth the basic premise is actually kind of a fun concept. The question of how much of an effect others have on one's own personality is interesting and the general outline for the episode is pretty decent stance on the topic I think, even if it's not explored terribly deeply and is bogged down with a boring execution and a painful ending. That said, I wish the show had shown that some of Lincoln's interests stuck with her in the end because it's implied that all of Lincoln's efforts were in vain which isn't quite how kids work. They'll keep their own interests AND absorb a few of yours in the process. Plus Lincoln's time spent with the baby, though cynically motivated, was a sincere attempt on his part to bond with her and it would be nice to see that rewarded even if only a little bit.

Also, Loud family, for fucks sake do more things with Lincoln the poor kid is clearly lonely and bored! :argh:

Final thoughts: The animation on this one is largely unremarkable but somebody on the team deserves credit for how they animated Lily in this episode. She does these weird little repetitive movements which both feel authentic to how real children act and give her a lot of personality (for a baby). It's a nice little touch on an otherwise unremarkable episode.

Final Rating: Eh.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 7, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

From my readings of these, it feels like the show wants to be both a standard childrens' show but also wants to do some adult animated sitcom stuff which ends up contrasting a lot in terms of tone and general appropriateness. A show that is from a kid's POV and ALSO newspaper-comic blandness as its ultimate aspiration is probably not the place for that kind of thing. It's not Regular Show or Gumball which were far more self-aware metacomedies that bridge the gap between kid and adult sensibilities.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Themes and morals: For what it's worth the basic premise is actually kind of a fun concept. The question of how much of an effect others have on one's own personality is interesting and the general outline for the episode is pretty decent stance on the topic I think, even if it's not explored terribly deeply and is bogged down with a boring execution and a painful ending. That said, I wish the show had shown that some of Lincoln's interests stuck with her in the end because it's implied that all of Lincoln's efforts were in vain which isn't quite how kids work. They'll keep their own interests AND absorb a few of yours in the process. Plus Lincoln's time spent with the baby, though cynically motivated, was a sincere attempt on his part to bond with her and it would be nice to see that rewarded even if only a little bit.

What's kind of irritating is a lot of his sisters seem more than willing to hang out with him and do stuff (Luna, Lynn, Leni*) except when they inexplicably don't and not in a 'teenager mood swing sort of way. It would also have been nice to realize that Lincoln had picked up some of his sisters' interests along the way, not to their extent, but it's the reason he really digs riding his bike or something.

*Fun fact, Leni is named such after Lenny from Of Mice and Men so that's... nice. Yeesh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So from what I gather Loud House isn’t really worth a watch then (the only thing I know about it besides what’s been posted is that the VA who played Sasha in Amphibia has a role in it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Molly McGee developed a plot when I wasn’t looking, I should check that show out sometime (also because the title characters are voiced by two of my favorite VAs)

How close is the first season to being done now out of curiosity and has it been greenlit for a second yet?