Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i also like the sentiment that Arab culture is real Muslim culture and when China gets rid of Arabic calligraphy and minarets in favor of traditional Uighur and Hui art and architecture…that’s cultural genocide too. maybe they should give everyone a Fez to make the west happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

foreign exchange ztudent

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

je1 healthcare posted:

on the basis of religion

here's how I know you don't really know what is happening

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

i have no idea, personally. there is no “good faith” in any of the information coming out and I know Turkey funds extremism and have had people ask me to donate to The Cause back in the mid 2000s. I get a little unnerved when the idea of a cultural genocide is rejected completely because I can’t think of a better way to describe the Turkish approach against the Kurds and I think it goes beyond assimilation. i am willing to examine a different kind of approach that better ties the intentional destruction and denial of Kurdish culture, language etc and the violent reprisal against their expression to a materialist framework I guess. I’m not really an expert or even well read on this topic, I just know some horrible horrible poo poo has happened and still happens to valorize a fabricated Turkish nationalist culture.

Just like the Kurds, I think one of the biggest (if not the biggest) factors in bleeding the culture dry is that if you’re young and you want a better life for yourself you move to the big important cities where all the better jobs are. Even without concerted efforts to clamp down on cultural expression that dynamic will still be there. Dunno what can be done about that I’m not an ideas guy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

eSports Chaebol posted:

i also like the sentiment that Arab culture is real Muslim culture and when China gets rid of Arabic calligraphy and minarets in favor of traditional Uighur and Hui art and architecture…that’s cultural genocide too. maybe they should give everyone a Fez to make the west happy

this is nonsensical

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

this is nonsensical

no it isnt

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

indigi posted:

this is nonsensical

What you consider to be "classic Arabic" architecture is largely because of Saudi money pushing wahabist beliefs and symbolism as hard as they can and trying to force out other types of Islamic styles and architecture from wherever they can

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
already very bored with xinjiang chat can we please talk about trains again

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1542930631344242690

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

What you consider to be "classic Arabic" architecture is largely because of Saudi money pushing wahabist beliefs and symbolism as hard as they can and trying to force out other types of Islamic styles and architecture from wherever they can

oh all the minarets and calligraphy was built in Xinjiang by the Saudis? my mistake

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/doamuslims/status/1177930027960356865

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was forced to drink jagermeister in college and nobody said a THING to the UN in my defense

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Zenz's issue with the Uyghurs isn't the genocide stuff anyways. He's completely fine with wiping muslims off the face of the earth. He's upset that women are getting agency, and that the communists are the people that made this happen.

stop making me want to watch anime just to come up with counterpunches to poo poo like this

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

These two elderly women smiling and drinking together are the moral equivalent of the Holocaust.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

this is nonsensical

it... is not at all?

china is doing away with the arab cultures

this is a thing that should be celebrated. yet, you are not?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

oh all the minarets and calligraphy was built in Xinjiang by the Saudis? my mistake

Describe a traditional Uyghur mosque

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HiroProtagonist posted:

it... is not at all?

china is doing away with the arab cultures

this is a thing that should be celebrated. yet, you are not?

you sir are a monster i have just requested the arab cultures to comment on this ongoing issue and

checks notes

huh

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lol at the content warning trying to guess which specific aspect triggered it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

lol at the content warning trying to guess which specific aspect triggered it

https://twitter.com/doamuslims/status/1177941417219559428

lol "Hey these seem to be two ladies enjoying a drink with no context" "UH ACTUALLY IF THEY DON'T SMILE A CCP SNIPER BLOWS THEIR FUCKIN BRAINS OUT"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

you sir are a monster i have just requested the arab cultures to comment on this ongoing issue and

checks notes

huh

i checked with my catholic priest and he assures me the crusades are still ongoing

check your own work fool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

they only started adding minarets in 1949 iirc

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

they only started adding minarets in 1949 iirc

how fittingly turkic

expose your master in moscow, now

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/doamuslims/status/1177941417219559428

lol "Hey these seem to be two ladies enjoying a drink with no context" "UH ACTUALLY IF THEY DON'T SMILE A CCP SNIPER BLOWS THEIR FUCKIN BRAINS OUT"

[filming mormons eating meat during lent]: this is the nightmare under the papist brandon regime

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can't just invent "Han Supremacy" like it's always been a thing.

Edit: And White Supremacy isn't just codified xenophobia, it is a centuries old colonial construct upon which the totality of Western civilization has been formed. China didn't go through that period of colonialism.

Wasn't China in an expansionist imperial phase during the height of western colonialism? Like that's when Tibet and Xinjiang became part of the country?

sexpig by night posted:

Aladdin.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like honestly the idea that Arabic script isn’t important to Muslims globally is so weird to me. it’s like saying the Jewish diaspora places no value on the Hebrew alphabet

not all American/African/East Asian/etc Jews can read Hebrew just like not all Uyghurs can read Arabic. it’s still part of their traditional culture in imagery and architecture cause it’s important to their religious history

is it all of Uyghur Muslim culture, obviously not. is it part of it? yeah lol.

is it cultural genocide or ethnic cleansing or whatever for China to remove it? definitely no. but does that mean China removing it is a means of restoring traditional Uyghur imagery? also no

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:magemage:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

like honestly the idea that Arabic script isn’t important to Muslims globally is so weird to me. it’s like saying the Jewish diaspora places no value on the Hebrew alphabet

not all American/African/East Asian/etc Jews can read Hebrew just like not all Uyghurs can read Arabic. it’s still part of their traditional culture in imagery and architecture cause it’s important to their religious history

is it all of Uyghur Muslim culture, obviously not. is it part of it? yeah lol.

is it cultural genocide or ethnic cleansing or whatever for China to remove it? definitely no. but does that mean China removing it is restoring traditional Uyghur imagery? also no

Arabic script is in no way illegal, restricted, or controlled in China

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Arabic script is in no way illegal, restricted, or controlled in China

ok

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

indigi posted:

somewhere a yiddish supremacist breaks out into a furious sweat but doesnt know why

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

somewhere a yiddish supremacist breaks out into a furious sweat but doesnt know why

wondering what script Yiddish is usually written in. can’t be Hebrew cause two languages can’t share a script

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PawParole posted:

two languages can’t share a script

???

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Paw is being sarcastic. Yiddish, as we all know, uses the Hebrew script.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i was mainly just jumping at the excuse to use the phrase yiddish supremacist apologies to any readers confused by my unfunny nonsense jokes :(

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I was at a movie screening yesterday and the team who made the movie was chinese and a white guy in the Q&A said "I used to live in china and I just want everyone to know this team is putting themselves in danger making a film in the west" and just kept talking and talking about what he knew about china and threw some chinese words in there and I thought of this thread

but I'm actually not sure why cause it seems a lot of you never lived there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

i was mainly just jumping at the excuse to use the phrase yiddish supremacist apologies to any readers confused by my unfunny nonsense jokes :(

I thought it was funny cause I pictured an old Satmar guy from Forest Hill tugging his collar

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Antonymous posted:

I was at a movie screening yesterday and the team who made the movie was chinese and a white guy in the Q&A said "I used to live in china and I just want everyone to know this team is putting themselves in danger making a film in the west" and just kept talking and talking about what he knew about china and threw some chinese words in there and I thought of this thread

I may not be ethnically Chinese but I certainly am politically Chinese.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i blame them both for the bhopal disaster, actually

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I may not be ethnically Chinese but I certainly am politically Chinese.

chinese is a nationality

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Antonymous posted:

I lived in China, and I learned that I don't understand China at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm working on being chinese in diet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Zodium posted:

I lived in China, and I learned that I don't understand China at all.

yea it's like they're speaking a whole nother language over there.