Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I think it's just because I've had dogshit TVs my entire life but the speakers on my C1 are loving spectacular to me. It's crazy that built-in speakers can carry that much bass depending on what you're playing through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I quit using my dog poo poo cheap soundbar because the g1 speakers sound so good.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My Sony X90J got a new firmware today that enables local dimming with VRR. Awesome!

…Except after installing it and firing up Elden Ring on my XSX, there’s now random and persistent white flashes, along with some subtle ghosting (e.g. a faint outline of my character is visible when panning the camera). Turning off local dimming fixes the flashing, but that negates the whole point of the update.

Elden Ring seems to trigger the flashes the most of any game I’ve tried for whatever reason. Guess I’m now waiting for a fixed firmware in the hopefully near future. Thanks Sony?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

man I thought my sonos arc + sub sounded really good but rtings is pretty hard on it, sheesh

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Space Racist posted:

My Sony X90J got a new firmware today that enables local dimming with VRR. Awesome!

…Except after installing it and firing up Elden Ring on my XSX, there’s now random and persistent white flashes, along with some subtle ghosting (e.g. a faint outline of my character is visible when panning the camera). Turning off local dimming fixes the flashing, but that negates the whole point of the update.

Elden Ring seems to trigger the flashes the most of any game I’ve tried for whatever reason. Guess I’m now waiting for a fixed firmware in the hopefully near future. Thanks Sony?

Does your TV have black frame insertion? Maybe try that and see if it helps.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

VelociBacon posted:

Does your TV have black frame insertion? Maybe try that and see if it helps.

It does, but all of the motion processing gets turned off in the VRR mode.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

man I thought my sonos arc + sub sounded really good but rtings is pretty hard on it, sheesh

Those systems are amazing for people who've only ever heard TV speakers before

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Space Racist posted:

Elden Ring has some weird ambient occlusion that lags behind the camera by a few frames. Are you seeing the ghosting anywhere else?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Big Bizness posted:

Elden Ring has some weird ambient occlusion that lags behind the camera by a few frames. Are you seeing the ghosting anywhere else?

It’s distinctly possible. I tried Mass Effect LE and saw a couple instances of possible ghosting, but they may have just been graphical glitches since they were localized to one spot and I otherwise couldn’t replicate it. Dying Light 2 also didn’t seem to exhibit any ghosting.

Really it’s the random flashing that I’m much more concerned about, that is impossible to deal with. It seems tied to HDR since it wasn’t happening in Dying Light 2 (which is non-HDR).

I’ll probably try a factory reset later today before trying to contact Sony support. The update is brand new but as far as I can tell I’m the only one having major problems.

E: Welp, I did a factory reset on my TV, and at first it seemed to work but then the flashing resumed an hour later when I came back to it. For whatever reason Elden Ring seems to trigger it like crazy, while it was really infrequent in the other games I tried.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 2, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have a samsung 32" F6100 which has been excellent for years now. It is currently stuck in "turn on for a few seconds then turn off" loop when I turn it on at the mains.

I have tried the most basic fixes which include un plugging everything and taking the batteries out of the remote and making sure the power button on the remote isn't stuck down etc.

Everything else works fine (standby button, screen/audio etc).

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Best Buy and Amazon have dropped the price of the 55" Sony A80J to a level I just can't refuse ($999). I hope I get a clean panel.

I've been clutching my beloved (and still working) Panasonic plasma with my cold dead hands for years now (2005 model) but it's time.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Number_6 posted:

Best Buy and Amazon have dropped the price of the 55" Sony A80J to a level I just can't refuse ($999). I hope I get a clean panel.

I've been clutching my beloved (and still working) Panasonic plasma with my cold dead hands for years now (2005 model) but it's time.

I ordered this from Costco yesterday and it looks like it is sold out now online, but some stores just got them in. It's A80CJ and comes with a 3-yr instead of 1-yr warranty. The only other real difference I saw is 1 yr Bravia Core streaming + 5 movie credits with A80J and 2 yr Bravia Core + 10 credits with the A80CJ. Fyi the A90J remote with brushed metal finish and motion sensor backlight works with the A80J/CJ too if you ever want to upgrade.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I found that the standard speakers on my LG CX are really good. Like perfectly serviceable.
Using the LG soundbar is massively better, but the built in speakers work fine.

The compromise we use most of the time when our baby is asleep is for the wife and I to each take a single Samsung Galaxy Earbud and pair it to the TV and watch TV that way. God bless modern TV's being Bluetooth enabled.

All are good options.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Space Racist posted:

The X900H was my first Sony TV and a huge disappointment for the promised features that landed far later and were half baked. It also has one of the clumiest UIs I've ever interacted with. We had an OLED for our main TV and I mainly bought the Sony to game on. I ended up selling it to a relative who doesn't game and getting another LG, the C1 this time. It has some minor issues but nothing like the Sony it replaced.

I'm actually convinced they were never going to update the X900H, it had been removed from several sites that listed upcoming updates for various models. I think the consumer pushback about that made them reverse course. Anyways Sony would have to do a lot to win me back, it was such a negative first time purchase.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

I found that the standard speakers on my LG CX are really good. Like perfectly serviceable.
Using the LG soundbar is massively better, but the built in speakers work fine.

The compromise we use most of the time when our baby is asleep is for the wife and I to each take a single Samsung Galaxy Earbud and pair it to the TV and watch TV that way. God bless modern TV's being Bluetooth enabled.

All are good options.

I can't say I was disappointed with the speakers in my CX, because I wasn't expecting much, but they're noticeably bad compared to anything that has front-facing drivers and the slightest amount of bass. I have a small, cheap soundbar and even that is much better, for both media and speech.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Small thing but it's been bothering me for a while. I have an LG CX. Hooked up to it is a PS5, a Switch, an Apple TV, and a receiver over ARC. I've noticed that, with the TV off, when I turn on a device other than the one I last used, the TV turns on over CEC but it no longer changes the input to that device, and instead turns on to the same input as that last used device, which then turns that device on. Sometimes, I can avert this by repeatedly mashing the ATV Home button or the PS button or whatever before the wrong device turns on, which eventually causes the TV to change channel. This has been happening for months, but I swear it worked correctly for at least a year.

This happens regardless of which device was last used and which one I want to use.

Any idea what's going wrong? TV's software is up to date but notably this started happening without an update (which I know for certain because I airgap the TV and only connect a wire for updates).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Speaking of the... Speakers in tvs; I've been really impressed with the built in speakers in the Hisense q88, of course it's missing all bass though. How much would I have to spend on a soundbar to have it actually be an upgrade (not considering the subwoofer)? I don't want worse sound but with a sub, I want better sound all around. Thanks.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Fedule posted:

Small thing but it's been bothering me for a while. I have an LG CX. Hooked up to it is a PS5, a Switch, an Apple TV, and a receiver over ARC. I've noticed that, with the TV off, when I turn on a device other than the one I last used, the TV turns on over CEC but it no longer changes the input to that device, and instead turns on to the same input as that last used device, which then turns that device on. Sometimes, I can avert this by repeatedly mashing the ATV Home button or the PS button or whatever before the wrong device turns on, which eventually causes the TV to change channel. This has been happening for months, but I swear it worked correctly for at least a year.

This happens regardless of which device was last used and which one I want to use.

Any idea what's going wrong? TV's software is up to date but notably this started happening without an update (which I know for certain because I airgap the TV and only connect a wire for updates).

This happens on the C1 constantly. Usually between PS5 and Apple TV. It's exactly as you say.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VelociBacon posted:

Speaking of the... Speakers in tvs; I've been really impressed with the built in speakers in the Hisense q88, of course it's missing all bass though. How much would I have to spend on a soundbar to have it actually be an upgrade (not considering the subwoofer)? I don't want worse sound but with a sub, I want better sound all around. Thanks.

Rtings does reviews on soundbars, just keep the tv tab open on the frequency response curve and compare it to a soundbar you might be interested in on their list.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Rtings does reviews on soundbars, just keep the tv tab open on the frequency response curve and compare it to a soundbar you might be interested in on their list.

Thanks.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is there a recommended brand & model for a full motion tv mount? I usually rely on the Wirecutter but their recommendation is $300. I need to get two of them (for a 48" and 55"), so that's out of my price range.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

LorneReams posted:

This happens on the C1 constantly. Usually between PS5 and Apple TV. It's exactly as you say.

Same here w my 55' C1 and I kind of gave up on trying to fix it. New bigger problem has emerged, the latest update seems to have slowed my home UI to a crawl It's like it has to load ads or something and it just freezes and then it loads the wrong input and it's just a mess

Doesn't feel like a very luxurious experience at all. Still happy with the picture at least, this display is radiant

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, speaking of operating systems on tv and performance, which tv and brand generally has the most performant os? last page or two seems to suggest lg's isn't great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I ended up just buying a 4k fire stick so I didnt ever have to see the OS of my oled.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Same but AppleTV. My CX is airgapped and every Home/AI/Recommendation/Network feature is disabled. TV OSs are absolutely not to be trusted with any functionality, ever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have my hooked up via ethernet and I havent blocked anything. I still don't see anything due to my fire stick.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gotcha. yea, i've been using a roku stick for the last year and it's more than adequate. it's probably transmitting worrying amounts of data to somewhere, but it's at least efficient.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There shouldn't be fire sticks, rokus etc. All TVs oughta have a standardized module installation port where you can just install such a unit without burning a HDMI port, with power already supplied. Swap it out as needed, cause lets face it, the upgrade scenario for 99% of people when it comes to TVs is their current one breaking.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's basically what CableCard would have been but.........

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm considering getting the 65 inch Samsung QD OLED, primarily for 4K/120 gaming (probably in tandem with the 4090, but I currently run a 3080 that works well enough)

I was just wondering- are the only QD OLED models out right now the Samsung one and the Sony version based on the same panel?

It's hard to understand where the technology is going. Will more sizes be available soon? Is there some solid reason to wait until next year?

Also if anyone has purchased one could you speak on if you personally thought it was worth it? I'm trying to make sure I'm understanding all of the angles on this new tech leap, and it's a little disconcerting to all-in on first gen tech, but since quantum dots and OLED are fairly mature on their own, I'm thinking the downsides of first gen won't be as much of an issue.

I would be upgrading from a C9 65 inch OLED.

e: I also see that the panel can overclock to 4K/144hz, is that guaranteed? That is an important part of the equation, as the 4090 will be able to run those fps.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 5, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

codo27 posted:

There shouldn't be fire sticks, rokus etc. All TVs oughta have a standardized module installation port where you can just install such a unit without burning a HDMI port, with power already supplied. Swap it out as needed, cause lets face it, the upgrade scenario for 99% of people when it comes to TVs is their current one breaking.

Doesn't HDMI already do all of this? Why would you create a new competing standard instead of adding another HDMI port?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

HDMI doesn't deliver power.

Please dont buy Samsung tvs

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's why a lot of devices power through the TV's USB port.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The Google tv with CC doesn't run off most TVs USB power FYI, just needs more juice. So just be prepared for needing to use the included USB power adapter worst case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We don't need any sort of new standard. If there was a market for such a thing, it would simply be a USB-C connection that provided both power and display connection.

Really though all we need at this point is 18w USB-C connections on TVs and just connect the dongle to HDMI

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i grabbed a samsung 55" qn90a a few weeks back and it was pretty simple to disable all the 'smart' features and never needed to put it on a network

took a bit of calibrating out of the box but the screen's great and having true black is a dramatic improvement

as far as responsiveness goes it powers on straight to last source in a second and switching source/menuing is fast. you do need to be explicit for a pc for 4:4:4, and oddly hdmi 4 is the high throughput port on the tv

only real caveats is no obvious way to disable bluetooth natively, and multiple audio output is considered accessibility but restricted to speakers+bluetooth rather than any spdif combos

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

We don't need any sort of new standard. If there was a market for such a thing, it would simply be a USB-C connection that provided both power and display connection.

Really though all we need at this point is 18w USB-C connections on TVs and just connect the dongle to HDMI

will you settle for every company doing what they want with hdmi, and most refusing to tell you what they're doing?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just pulled the trigger on 2 77inch G2's. Couldn't force myself to pay the insane tax to go up to the 80 inchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

codo27 posted:

NEC actually sort of did this on one of their lines of commercial displays, it has a socket for an original SODIMM-style Raspberry Pi Compute Module and at least hypothetically supports any other compatible modules. I think this line of displays is one of the reasons for the less known Pi Compute Module 4S that puts the Pi 4 SoC on the old style module.

The thing is it doesn't really add much other than the board being inside the case, which obviously is a big thing for commercial applications but not really that relevant to a TV stick at home. Otherwise it's effectively just burning the same HDMI port, only internally to a special interface not useful for anything else.

Like bull3964 said, we just need USB ports that can reliably power a couple of TV sticks right there next to the HDMI ports.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Doesn't HDMI already do all of this? Why would you create a new competing standard instead of adding another HDMI port?
HDMI only has 50ma of power available which is enough to handle hotplug detection of unpowered displays and power certain active cables or adapters, but nothing sufficient to run a device that has a mainstream operating system.

You might be thinking of MHL, which was somewhat common to see on (especially Samsung) phones and TVs in the 2010s as a power + video solution for connecting phones or tablets to TVs over a single port, but that didn't really survive the USB-C transition.

FilthyImp posted:

That's basically what CableCard would have been but.........
CableCard was a different thing entirely, most of the smarts were still in the thing with the CableCard socket, it was basically just a poor reinvention of the same kinds of authentication cards that satellite vendors have used for years, only reinvented by a group that was begrudgingly doing the bare minimum required by policy. You couldn't connect any arbitrary input to it.