Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Never seen a fedora/cargo shorts combo on a isis, but then again they are usually sexually frustrated virgins

Who can say whether they are atheist or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

doverhog posted:

You think an Isis recruit has a deep understanding of the five pillars?

So you think that an Isis recruit doesn't identify as Muslim and think their religion is important to them?

Saying that religious zealots, of any flavor, aren't "really" religious is just excusing a religion for the lovely things done in it's name.

The pieces of poo poo screaming about Jesus outside of abortion clinics are just as Christian as the people out doing genuine good in the name of Jesus.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

DeadlyMuffin posted:

So you think that an Isis recruit doesn't identify as Muslim and think their religion is important to them?

Saying that religious zealots, of any flavor, aren't "really" religious is just excusing a religion for the lovely things done in it's name.

The pieces of poo poo screaming about Jesus outside of abortion clinics are just as Christian as the people out doing genuine good in the name of Jesus.

Identifying as muslim, christian, capitalist, communist, etc. and then doing bad things is bad. The important thing is what you do.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

doverhog posted:

Identifying as muslim, christian, capitalist, communist, etc. and then doing bad things is bad. The important thing is what you do.

Completely agreed. I just object to the "clearly they aren't 'real' X" line of argument. I'm used to hearing it from Christians who want to separate themselves from something lovely other Christians are doing.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Jul 2, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Completely agreed. I just object to the "clearly they aren't 'real' X" line of argument. I'm used to hearing it from Christians who want to separate themselves from something lovely other Christians are doing.

Yeah lots of groups, whether religious or political, love to use the No True Scotsman fallacy

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
American War Films About Vietnam-

It's all about how killing millions of people made them feel sad and hosed them up.

It's like the SS made WW2 movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogatron posted:

American War Films About Vietnam-

It's all about how killing millions of people made them feel sad and hosed them up.

It's like the SS made WW2 movies.

You just watched that letterman standup thing too?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We should rename the months so no two share the same first letter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We need to rename the months to something meaningful again. Non of this October December nonsense. Which Is why every month should be August

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

We need to rename the months to something meaningful again. Non of this October December nonsense. Which Is why every month should be August

Rebirth, Springseed, Naive Hope, the Blooming, the Burgeoning, the Mellowing, the Reaping, Secret Remorse, the Dwindling, the Great Lack, Everdusk, and Death.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They should do a remake of Logan's Run and then another remake every 30 years after that forever.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah lots of groups, whether religious or political, love to use the No True Scotsman fallacy

I'm not defending Christianity, or Islam, or any organized religion. They are oppressive, bad, cultures people are born into without consent, and most never escape.

However it still takes an extra step to join Isis, or a Crusade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

postmodifier posted:

It even pre-dates Phantom Menace, PepsiCo/Yum! Brands went absolutely apeshit in promoting the Special Edition theatrical releases

Like you couldn't even get a single soft taco without eleven pounds of star wars merchandise being thrown at you

Pepsi must have gotten some seriously lucrative contract behind the scenes, because drat

I remember seeing these and thinking "this is going to be my only chance to watch Star Wars in the theater" as a kid. Lol.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nameless Pete posted:

They should do a remake of Logan's Run and then another remake every 30 years after that forever.

:hmmyes:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Nameless Pete posted:

That movie is one of my favorites and so much of why has to do with the incredibly goofy models and "special effects." The movie's plot and setup is good enough to stand on its own, but I sure don't want to see it looking like a modern movie. I want my big shiny boxy robot and my shiny glittery streamers and shiny shiny shiny fuckin everything good lord the future is sparkles

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

credburn posted:

That movie is one of my favorites and so much of why has to do with the incredibly goofy models and "special effects." The movie's plot and setup is good enough to stand on its own, but I sure don't want to see it looking like a modern movie. I want my big shiny boxy robot and my shiny glittery streamers and shiny shiny shiny fuckin everything good lord the future is sparkles

The future is lens flare and sideburns and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

all fanfiction is terrible

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m fine with Delaware existing purely as a tax haven like Switzerland, but if that’s how it’s gonna be it should be a separate country. It’s hosed up that people from Delaware have any say over what happens to the rest of the country.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have no idea what the difference is between Oregon and Washington

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Washington has the Trailblazers in it. Oregon doesn't have any sports teams. It's literally the only way to tell them apart.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Gripweed posted:

Washington, Washington,
Six foot twenty
Fuckin killing for fun
Spread, spread Delaware
He’s coming
He’s coming
HE’S COMING

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gripweed posted:

Oregon has Oregoons

Washington has Warshingtonians

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Irregardless posted:

Washington, Washington,
Six foot twenty
Fuckin killing for fun
Spread, spread Delaware
He’s coming
He’s coming
HE’S COMING

unpopular opinion: getting paid by Adult Swim to make China Il with normal animation+editing ruined Brad Neely's unique style, and I hope he becomes unemployed for a while to make more shorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6OOuPI5c0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Analytic Engine posted:

unpopular opinion: getting paid by Adult Swim to make China Il with normal animation+editing ruined Brad Neely's unique style, and I hope he becomes unemployed for a while to make more shorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6OOuPI5c0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

You should make a popular opinions thread and make this the OP

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Irregardless posted:

You should make a popular opinions thread and make this the OP

You sure? I get shouted down whenever I float this opinion on SA, so I must be missing all the threads for animation nerds with good taste

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Analytic Engine posted:

You sure? I get shouted down whenever I float this opinion on SA, so I must be missing all the threads for animation nerds with good taste

Brad Neely was a national treasure before the suits got involved. I wish him all the success in the world but being on television was not it. At this point in my life I would pay for a physical release of a wizard people esque weird side project in the triple digits from him. Maybe we are the minority so yeah, I’ll call this an unpopular opinion.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Washington thinks it’s cool but isn’t.

Oregon thinks it’s cooler than Washington but isn’t.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

Washington thinks it’s cool but isn’t.

Oregon thinks it’s cooler than Washington but isn’t.

they're both Northern Jefferson (NorJef as the locals say) along with NorCal

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Northern Oregon is a lot like Washington and southern Oregon is a lot like California.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

christmas boots posted:

Northern Oregon is a lot like Washington and southern Oregon is a lot like California.

And Eastern Oregon is so much like Idaho that there's a lot of people who want it to just be absorbed by Idaho.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

christmas boots posted:

Not sure what this means. When I drove far up Northern California near the Oregon border I felt like I was in some redneck nightmare. Even the music changed to country on the radio stations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Not sure what this means. When I drove far up Northern California near the Oregon border I felt like I was in some redneck nightmare. Even the music changed to country on the radio stations.

Humboldt County is the bluest possibly-relevant community north of SF due to all our aging granola liberals, but even the North Coast has its share of paranoid forest survivalists/growers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

And Eastern Oregon is so much like Idaho that there's a lot of people who want it to just be absorbed by Idaho.

Parts of eastern Washington are like this as well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mu Zeta posted:

Country music? My god, how did you get out alive?!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

"The crusaders we're atheist actually" has got to be the most bonkers take I've seen this month

It's one of the commonest, dumbest history takes that no one was ever devout except ascetic monks. Weirdly everyone who says this has been secular since childhood and had a teen atheist phase.

It's like christians saying no nazis were christiant. "It's impossible for people to be hypocrites to justify their actions."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's also (sort of) the plot of Assassin's Creed. Well, one of them anyway

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Most people do things based on a combo of apparent ideology alongside material concerns. No one is saying that the Crusades were solely a political thing outside of the church, but it would be foolish and antithetical to how people thought at the time to see it as being solely God's will.

I mean people were still doing a lot of things we'd consider "pagan esque" right up until the 1600s because society was that much more fractured and the village over the hill might be very different to you.

The past is not like the present but it contains people with as many thoughts and ideas about the world as now, and they may well have thought, believed and acted in similar ways.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I mean people were still doing a lot of things we'd consider "pagan esque" right up until the 1600s because society was that much more fractured and the village over the hill might be very different to you.

Most of those things weren’t even pagan, Protestants just couldn’t wrap their heads around Christians doing things for fun

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

Most of those things weren’t even pagan, Protestants just couldn’t wrap their heads around Christians doing things for fun

I mean the counter reformation and centralization of Church authority was still a big part of it, as well as the increased power of the nascent nation state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gripweed posted:

Country music? My god, how did you get out alive?!

It was like every station so it was bizarre.