Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Buy the dip, dummy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

And just like that it's back up 400 to where it was

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Unperson_47 posted:

Bitcoin just plummted $400 in the span of a few minutes.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

In the time it took me to take the screenshot and upload it to imgur it shot back up $400. Very organic market moves, totally not manipulated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can whatever is producing the bitcoin charts (since it's not from a real exchange like nyse or nasdaq) determine if these are wash trades? Like if someone with multiple wallets is just selling to themselves at these higher prices in an attempt to keep the prices up? That's really what that kind of thing seems like. Pretty stupid to go for a big obvious jump like that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the next rug pull meta should be doing fake FDIC pay outs.

just buy FDICcoinz worth 249 999 . 9999999999......lolwhydoesbuttcoinstuffhavesomanydecimalplaces99999999999$, and then use the fiat you got from the gov to buy more FDICcoinz and repeat.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 3, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like there's a window for passive income through public service. Make up a white paper and fill it with non-quite-legally-a-promise bullshit and methodically take people's money and throw them into a legitimate CD and take .25 of the net. The people you scam would actually get a modest return and finish ahead of like 80% of their peers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would go with the tried and true:

"Dear sir your 250,000 FDIC payment is ready for release. Simply forward a filing and tax fee of 2000 dollars to our accounts receivable department. We accept google play gift cards, target gift card or sephora gift cards"

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
From Wikipedia. The ending is a hoot:

quote:

A wash trade is a form of market manipulation in which an investor simultaneously sells and buys the same financial instruments to create misleading, artificial activity in the marketplace.[1] First, an investor will place a sell order, then place a buy order to buy from him or herself, or vice versa. This may be done for a number of reasons:

To artificially increase trading volume, giving the impression that the instrument is more in demand than it actually is.[2]
To generate commission fees to brokers in order to compensate them for something that cannot be openly paid for. This was done by some of the participants in the Libor scandal.[3]
Some exchanges now have protections built in, sometimes mandatory for participants, such as STPF (Self-Trade Prevention Functionality) on the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE).[4]

Wash trading has been illegal in the United States since the passage of the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA), of 1936.[5][6] The practice is common in non-fungible token markets which are not subject to government regulation.[7]

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I know we talk about it endlessly here, but what's the perception among dedicated coiners that the vast majority of the volume in their exchanges are wash trades? Do they acknowledge it, but don't care? Or do they believe that these are all genuine real organic trades from retail investors?

Even the most hardcore Bitcoin nutcase has to realize at some point that all this wash trading is not a sign of a healthy environment and that their holdings could be in jeopardy. How do they rationalize it amongst themselves?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh so washing coinz is bad? that means I can stop washing my hands, peepee, and my butt.

*gets food poisoning from dirty hands*

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
In Line Goes Up, the narrator describes NFT communities who get angry if the minters aren’t engaged in that kind of price pumping practice. Like, it’s understood to be part of good hype building.

I presume coincé communities feel the same?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a feeling that the ones who want bitcoin/crypto to become a proper investment or currency are fine with doing some “fake it til you make it”. Like any number of parties (banks, countries, somethingawful forum posters) are conspiring against them so why not do some ethically questionable things if the end result is justifiable??

And then there are the straight up grifters who are just doing pump and dumps. From a transaction perspective it may be hard to tell them apart!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It is kind of interesting how in the extremely manipulated cryptocurrency market that the BTC price actually does develop supports because the people trading it and manipulating it think there should be some

Now all of the high frequency bots hundreds of traders are using are fighting the exchanges over pennies to maintain a symbolic price on something that has zero value

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

LifeSunDeath posted:

Any of you CSPAM coiners out there, I'm a gonna need to see your digital, and physical wallets. Yeah that's right Apeheads, I'm from the Wallet Inspection Bureau (WIB) and you're in violation of wallet law!
I'm too lazy to check, but are they just as interested in DeFi as a way to stick to to their dads as they are internet communism?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I've heard divabot mention this in various interviews and podcasts: like the vast majority of retail investors or nft ape buyers who get rug pulled and find out their coins lost all value and there a literally no buyers for their apes just quietly slink off and not talk about it on social media. The ones that get posted here and we make fun of are mostly the big fish, the Do Kwons and the Mashinksys who will keep promoting and doubling down no matter what , but I'm always fascinated about the ghostty's and those insane neighbors who are all in on nugencoin. What happens to them when the party stops and they are not raptured into Bitcoin Valhalla? What are their lives like afterwards, that's more interesting to me than the high profile grifters.

I know a guy I grew up with who fell hard for a (non cryptocurrency) Ponzi scheme. He recently got married and somehow convinced his wife to invest heavily into it. He was a great salesman and actually convinced a lot of people to buy into what was obviously a Ponzi. When the whole thing collapsed this dude's life turned into a living nightmare. His wife hates his guts but she won't grant him a divorce until he pays her back the massive sums she invested with him. His family owns properties and land and she's trying/forcing him to hand some of that to her or sell it off so she can get her money and leave. He's now living in a loving twilight zone nightmare where he's basically trapped in a house with an angry woman who makes every second of his life misery. She breaks things, hits him, it frequently gets violent.
Plus they have two young kids who don't know what the gently caress is going on.

This poo poo is so much more fascinating than Mashinsky or Do Kwon running away to non-extraditionstan in their private Learjets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The CMO of Celsius currently posting on instagram about his imminent "month long" trip to India to visit family. Currently googling extradition treaties

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

lynch_69 posted:

I've heard divabot mention this in various interviews and podcasts: like the vast majority of retail investors or nft ape buyers who get rug pulled and find out their coins lost all value and there a literally no buyers for their apes just quietly slink off and not talk about it on social media. The ones that get posted here and we make fun of are mostly the big fish, the Do Kwons and the Mashinksys who will keep promoting and doubling down no matter what , but I'm always fascinated about the ghostty's and those insane neighbors who are all in on nugencoin. What happens to them when the party stops and they are not raptured into Bitcoin Valhalla? What are their lives like afterwards, that's more interesting to me than the high profile grifters.

I know a guy I grew up with who fell hard for a (non cryptocurrency) Ponzi scheme. He recently got married and somehow convinced his wife to invest heavily into it. He was a great salesman and actually convinced a lot of people to buy into what was obviously a Ponzi. When the whole thing collapsed this dude's life turned into a living nightmare. His wife hates his guts but she won't grant him a divorce until he pays her back the massive sums she invested with him. His family owns properties and land and she's trying/forcing him to hand some of that to her or sell it off so she can get her money and leave. He's now living in a loving twilight zone nightmare where he's basically trapped in a house with an angry woman who makes every second of his life misery. She breaks things, hits him, it frequently gets violent.
Plus they have two young kids who don't know what the gently caress is going on.

This poo poo is so much more fascinating than Mashinsky or Do Kwon running away to non-extraditionstan in their private Learjets.

My boring guess is that piggy's neighbor Ted Nugen is gonna realize he got scammed, get very quiet, and pretend he never asked for the kids' SSNs while he and his wife quietly pick up the pieces of their financial lives.

Growing up in America puts this idea in the back of your mind that Your Ship Will Come In One Day and you just need to Seize The Opportunity to Become Rich and Leave Behind All These Poor, Unamibitious Suckers Slaving Away at 9-to-5s. These scams wouldn't have legs if the groundwork for them hadn't been laid all of our lives through all the poo poo woven through American culture.

Like with most daydreams-come-to-life, people either wake up one day and realize that the real world is still there, or they double down on the psychosis and do whatever it takes to prevent the sun from setting on The Dream so they don't have to go back to their Old Life.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The neighbor is gonna say "nugen allowed a few more weeks to let everyone get their papers in order so the new deadline is july 31st! also the price just doubled! come on give me your children's identity theft info now!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was listening to a new podcast (Scamfluencers) and the first 3 episodes are about a guy who moved to hollywood and created a ponzi scheme to help him get clout to finance movies he could be in an actor in. It was really fascinating how he just fooled people and crafted an entire web of lies. The podcast is worth a listen! The next episode about a fake doctor didn’t grab me the same way though.

Anyway it was a fascinating look at a pretty large scam (he bilked over 200mil from investors) that he started out on just before crypto, and the guy (Zach Avery) would definitely have gotten into crypto if given a chance, lol. Surprised he didn’t as he just was busted last year.

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 3, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i guess everyone who would track that drop is asleep at the moment, but just a perfectly normal ~$500 drop in the price of bitcoin within 10 minutes and then immediately shoots back past the pre-drop price within 2 mintues before just kinda hovering below that pre-drop price.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I thought the rug pull victims were just gaming?

Gotta play to earn, yo

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

She breaks things, hits him, it frequently gets violent.

I really wish you'd stopped before these two sentences, because up until this point it was absolutely deserved. He's in a completely avoidable Hell, completely of his own making, it's just sad he's dragged others in there with him.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sitting below 19k now. But for how long will it last this time?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

i think some people may remember this guy:

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1494076067669168130

update:

https://twitter.com/Dogetoshi/status/1542618592948232192

people on the internet... can lie? they can just do that?

This dude was caught out flat lying in the first video at the time.
Some YT I forget the name of found the house he showed in the vid above, it sold for something different from what he said, and was bought by someone else for money and not bitcoin.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 3, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like there's a window for passive income through public service. Make up a white paper and fill it with non-quite-legally-a-promise bullshit and methodically take people's money and throw them into a legitimate CD and take .25 of the net. The people you scam would actually get a modest return and finish ahead of like 80% of their peers.

Thats been done.

My grandpa told me about a dude back in the 1970's that would post in papers rate of returns and basically get enough people to go in on a CD that would pay a higher rate because it was in a higher amount.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Agents are GO! posted:

I really wish you'd stopped before these two sentences, because up until this point it was absolutely deserved. He's in a completely avoidable Hell, completely of his own making, it's just sad he's dragged others in there with him.

Yeah, as soon as violence enters the picture this poo poo becomes really hard for me to find funny, kids or not. Like, sure, he absolutely hosed up the money situation, no question. But I've been with a partner who hit me and let me loving tell you nothing in the world is scarier than someone whose love means the world to you also being someone who is physically hurting you on purpose to get what they want.

Dude needs to get out of that relationship, immediately by any means necessary- I don't care if he wronged her, the second she went violent is the second she lost the right to dictate the terms of the relationship- and then deal with the fact that he lost someone he cares about a lot of money, and those need to be seen and solved as two different problems.

Jesus fuckin christ that is an awful situation and I really loving hope it gets resolved.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, as soon as violence enters the picture this poo poo becomes really hard for me to find funny, kids or not. Like, sure, he absolutely hosed up the money situation, no question. But I've been with a partner who hit me and let me loving tell you nothing in the world is scarier than someone whose love means the world to you also being someone who is physically hurting you on purpose to get what they want.

Dude needs to get out of that relationship, immediately by any means necessary- I don't care if he wronged her, the second she went violent is the second she lost the right to dictate the terms of the relationship- and then deal with the fact that he lost someone he cares about a lot of money, and those need to be seen and solved as two different problems.

Jesus fuckin christ that is an awful situation and I really loving hope it gets resolved.

She married a dipshit and is giving him a great avenue for escaping with half any of her remaining stuff, prenup permitting. Everyone sucks here.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

PITY BONER posted:

I'm too lazy to check, but are they just as interested in DeFi as a way to stick to to their dads as they are internet communism?

I hate posting about other forums because of how weird people get about it, but the doomsday economics thread in cspam thrives on coiners eating poo poo

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

Bitcoin just plummted $400 in the span of a few minutes.

This was a possible outcome based on unfinished auctions.
And if my theory is right and we're doing unfinished auctions now, people will be immensely surprised by hitting 19.5k later in the same sort of bullshit

Barudak posted:

The CMO of Celsius currently posting on instagram about his imminent "month long" trip to India to visit family. Currently googling extradition treaties

Lol, you'd think they'd be smart enough to go somewhere more suitable like iceland.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
https://cointelegraph.com/magazine/2022/06/30/thailands-crypto-utopia-sex-drugs-libertarian-smart-village I may have missed it, but did anyone post the newish interview with this attempted Libertarian crypto guy in the style of Cryptoisland, trying in Thailand?

quote:

Perched atop the hill at Haad Thong Lang Bay with fantastic views of the Gulf of Thailand, he made a deal to buy the resort for 17 million baht (about $510,000 at the time), and took over 35 villas, paying for everything himself.

Unfortunately, of course, Chasse admits he had no idea how to manage a resort. On the day all the responsibilities for the staff, utilities and everything became his, the water went out.

quote:

The ideals of the crypto-Libertarian vision brought some political tensions, as the vision of a community-run enterprise conflicted with the fact Chasse was in charge, and many of the residents were either his staff or projects he was funding and helping.

“I think part of it was my fault for misleading people in the way that things would be governed there, I think, maybe alluded a little bit too much toward the fact that, like, I wanted to convert this into a DAO,” he says.

“I think a lot of people who went there with the idea that, like, they would have significant say in what would happen, but I wanted people to work on the things that we had to work on. So, this is why some people left and some people stayed”

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nugen neighbors don’t talk to me anymore and I’m fine with that.

https://cdigitals.com/nugen-universe-calls-for-associates-disguise-nugen-coin-fraud/

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Piggy Smalls posted:

https://cdigitals.com/nugen-universe-calls-for-associates-disguise-nugen-coin-fraud/

if only more people had warned them!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

if only more people had warned them!

"300 people told me this was a scam! Oh, if only 301 people had told me, then I would've avoided this tragedy!"

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I tried to anonymously sign up for a Nugen account so I could poke around on the customer backend and maybe find some content for this thread but every time I tried it just threw a bunch of php and server errors lmao

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!
Can I sue my friend because he gave me bad advice: https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/vpp65q/a_friend_convinced_me_to_buy_10000_worth_of/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Piggy Smalls posted:

where'd you get this link? it's another website's news article with random words and phrases thesaurused around presumably to avoid detection https://behindmlm.com/companies/nugen-universe-demands-affiliates-hide-nugen-coin-fraud/

EDIT: I know this one is the original because cdigitals links to other articles on this site, and the text of the stolen article refers to the site by name as "we"

also it's way less gibberish

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

LordSaturn posted:

where'd you get this link? it's another website's news article with random words and phrases thesaurused around prsumably to avoid detection https://behindmlm.com/companies/nugen-universe-demands-affiliates-hide-nugen-coin-fraud/

huh, i was wondering why it felt like my brain wasn't working properly when i tried to read it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Funnier than the headline sounds since the friend actually signed a contract guaranteeing returns. That a stupidity onion with all those layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Funnier than the headline sounds since the friend actually signed a contract guaranteeing returns. That a stupidity onion with all those layers.

Before I did any form of bot business my lawyer was explicitly clear that you cannot promise anyone returns. No idea wtf these people are doing