Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I would love a revival of the dead card games thread so I can talk about .hack//ENEMY

There was a .hack TCG?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Johnny Truant posted:

There was a .hack TCG?!

Hell yeah there was. I played for a couple years. I eventually traded my collection to a guy for his VTES collection, actually. I liked the game, but at the time I had too many hobbies going on and I had to consolidate.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Rythe posted:

Funny enough I love Obeka and I'm most games I reach for her because so many of the cards are super fun in 4 player pods. It's not super crazy or powerful but as casual goes the deck is alot of fun and I enjoy playing it.
Yeah this sounds very similar, apart from abusing a few things with Obeka (anything with Encore, Mirror March etc.), most of it is things like Scheming Symmetry or Wheel of Misfortune to get some table talk happening.

Edit: Also Glorious End is probably one of my favourite cards. It's not an effect people are used to being printed on a card, and seeing someone slam their Craterhoof, move to Combat and then... nope.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 3, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I assume you mean the original since the relaunch of the game is still getting new content?

Yes. And I thought the reboot died. Kind of funny if that's not the case.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

There was a .hack TCG?!

Yep and it was a hot mess, but the fun kind of hot mess.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Got an OP up for dead CCGs:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006234

I'll be adding to it later today/tomorrow, including some info about playing online and a post about VTES for those curious.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Did anyone have a trip report from the Vegas CommandFest from early June? Worth going to? I've done Vegas a few times for EVO and off season Vegas for shits and giggles and gorging on a gently caress ton of really good food. Just curious as to what venue was used on strip off strip etc etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All the trip reports from every commandfest so far are that they’re OK but you essentially are paying 3 day Con prices to play EDH at some tables without the kinds of amenities or prize support or activities that cons typically feature, and that all the best talent or influencers are there for free or because they feel like they have to go to make content. I pumped the brakes on my hype for them until we see a shift towards them being more like events and less like 3 day after-school Commander club meetings with expensive hotel stays.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

all the best talent or influencers are there for free or because they feel like they have to go to make content.

Wait. They aren't compensating guests?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

The treasure is the friends we made at commandfest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Toshimo posted:

I am not clear on what’s going on behind the scenes but the basic timeline that I’ve encountered is

CommandFests are announced

Cosplay Influencers and CCs spend the next 2 weeks on their socials announcing which ones they are going to be at

1-2 weeks before the events fire the producers of the events put out bad jpegs saying “Featuring SaffronOlive and Tappy Toe Cosplay!” (as examples, this level of clout)

extremely small trickle of bigger name POC content creators added as initial “announcements” are met with backlash due to extremely poor representation

So AFAIK approximately 90% of commandfests that I see (exclusively through Twitter & Instagram, mind) is going to command fest, finding the fans and content creator you shitpost with in discord, and hanging out with them at their table and maybe going back to their Air BNB to party afterwards. Any comments I’ve seen about prize wall or activities is that it’s lovely or doesn’t exist.

Really not trying to Pu-Pu these, and I 100% HAVE NOT ATTENDED ONE, I’m saying I was all in and excited to go and after the first wave of them I am very cooked off on the idea fo spending $300-$500 to do this for a weekend unless they really make some changes.

I have no idea who is getting paid or how much, but the overwhelming majority of talent is basically volunteering, at least in terms of entertainment.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That is extremely hosed up. If your name and likeness is being used to advertise the event, your rear end should be getting paid and comped.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I say this as someone who ran live events for years and definitely loving compensated my talent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress kind of convention advertises the presence of a creator without paying them or at least giving them free tickets and covering their hotel room etc.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Who even runs the commander cons or whatever? Is it WotC?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I say this as someone who ran live events for years and definitely loving compensated my talent.

Have you ever considered just pocketing that money by exploiting your talent's need to produce engaging content?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
No.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Maybe if Wizards made just that one secret lair with Juicero or Coinbase or Volkwagen, they could afford to pay talent at events, but sadly they are just strapped for cash, the poor buggers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Online Commandfests were the way forward cause I really enjoyed all the swag from it during first plague year

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe if Wizards made just that one secret lair with Juicero or Coinbase or Volkwagen, they could afford to pay talent at events, but sadly they are just strapped for cash, the poor buggers.

Aren't Commandfests endorsed by WotC but operated by third parties like SCG or Channel Fireball? WotC doesn't do anything but supply prize support.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, I'm starting to think I might not go to the Montreal one after all because of how expensive it is.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

rk post is signing at the SCG Con this weekend in Syracuse.

The only reason to go to conventions is to get your stuff signed IMO. I can find disappointing games of Magic locally.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Aren't Commandfests endorsed by WotC but operated by third parties like SCG or Channel Fireball? WotC doesn't do anything but supply prize support.

That just spreads the blame around, but does not remove Wizards from it. That business relationship still involves some form of cash outlay between parties, one of which is WotC that makes bazillions of dollars with their soupy poo poo trash, which means it's shameful that both parties explicitly expect these people to work for exposure.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Y’all should ask the one person in this thread who gets invited to these things as a guest about compensation lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

Y’all should ask the one person in this thread who gets invited to these things as a guest about compensation lol

Well... We're waiting...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'd talk about it but I got banned for doing a pensive gesture in front of the exposed rear end cracks of attendees

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got the chance to try out my Ziatora deck, and it won. Ok, it won ebcause my opponent didn't realize he could lethal until next turn, but it still counts!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got the chance to try out my Ziatora deck, and it won. Ok, it won ebcause my opponent didn't realize he could lethal until next turn, but it still counts!

Yeah, but the thread already said that there are better Jund Commanders so you have in fact played wrong and your win is invalidated.

Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

Winning because your opponent is dumb is like the Dark Chocolate of Commander. It’s not the same kind of sweet, but it lingers for longer and as I grow older I find it to be more satisfying, lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm making a Gluntch hugbox deck right now. How's that make you feel? Angry? That's okay, I'll give you some treasures and counters to make you feel better :smug:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, but the thread already said that there are better Jund Commanders so you have in fact played wrong and your win is invalidated.

You've made basically this same post like a dozen times in the past month, are you under the mistaken impression that anyone thinks it's funny?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Making a Giant Ambush Beetle pauper deck just out of spite.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Shortest Path posted:

You've made basically this same post like a dozen times in the past month, are you under the mistaken impression that anyone thinks it's funny?

You're right. I'll stop. It's like an even worse "Canadian Highlander" post.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

Well... We're waiting...

Guest compensation comes in different tiers based on your visibility. VIPs get their badges, trip, and accommodations paid. Everyone else gets their badges comped along with tickets for the prize wall (a little less than what’s needed for an oversized card).

If you take part in panels they further pay you in product based on the number of panels you participate in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Paying talent in comps and sealed product instead of money is the same legal jujitsu WotC used for 30 years to avoid classifying judges as employees and kind of sucks, comping someone a badge but not a $400 plane ticket is basically one step above “paying them in exposure”.

I’m sure some folks think it’s a good deal but when CFB, SCG, and WotC are making more money than they’ve ever been (and they’re not loving spending it on COVID prevention lmao) it doesn’t seem like a great deal, it seems like a way to very cheaply bolster your events without actually paying people.

I’m glad for anyone who gets their comps or whatever, it’s gotta feel great, but they can absolutely afford to pay everyone and still make money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do you still get packs if your panel ends in a draw?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Trust me, nobody wins with those panels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got my Kangee commander deck in the mail (trying my lgs custom commander thing).

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/YE93hkkup0aVe0xQP6chww

I gotta add in at least a Zephyr Falcon.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yea they implemented that rule after the Pictionary panels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess that's necessary since the CAG still refuses to ban the word Windmill.