Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrostyPox posted:

He might, I'm too busy frantically spamming heals to notice. Bubble belts, then, and grinding until I've got the proper accessory license on every character. I have no idea how to get bubble belts, though. I randomly got one.

On the other hand I almost got him once, maybe I should just buy more potions and phoenix downs and try again
Crazy to me to see how difficult this fight is when you haven't already done Yiazmat and Omega and Shadowseer. 12's all about the hunts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i dimly remember the final boss giving me some trouble even after doing most of the non-superboss hunts, he's a bruiser

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a way to figure out where you're supposed to be going in FF12? I set it back up but I have no idea what I was doing last, I appear to have gone back to the plains for a hunt

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crazy to me to see how difficult this fight is when you haven't already done Yiazmat and Omega and Shadowseer. 12's all about the hunts!

I've read the final boss is pretty easy but I assume that's if you've been doing hunts and kinda leisurely going through side content (or you find the Seitengrat which just deletes things and lets you kill the final boss at ~level 10). I've been laser-focused on just doing the main story cuz I don't want to spend tons of time on each game. Worked fine in 13 and 15, seems to have bit me in the rear end here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I've read the final boss is pretty easy but I assume that's if you've been doing hunts and kinda leisurely going through side content (or you find the Seitengrat which just deletes things and lets you kill the final boss at ~level 10). I've been laser-focused on just doing the main story cuz I don't want to spend tons of time on each game. Worked fine in 13 and 15, seems to have bit me in the rear end here.

you can probably expect that to be the rule rather than the exception going forward. 15 is braindead easy and 13 has anti-grinding measures built in, most of the others (excepting oddballs like 8) follow the more traditional structure of "take some time to make your numbers go up or you'll be swallowing teeth"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

you can probably expect that to be the rule rather than the exception going forward. 15 is braindead easy and 13 has anti-grinding measures built in, most of the others (excepting oddballs like 8) follow the more traditional structure of "take some time to make your numbers go up or you'll be swallowing teeth"

I am not surprised in the least by this and will keep it in mind going forward (or backward, I suppose). I was kind of worried when I either had to use Summons to beat Vayne 2: Not-quite-yet-electric-boogaloo or alternatively been super low on MP and HP going into Bahamut-Vayne. Fortunately I was at least semi-prepared for this and have a save right before I head for the Bahamut so I can just go back to that and grind and do hunts and stuff.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 3, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly the nes games are the only ones where i feel like the balancing is off enough a casual player might need to grind. The snes games were much better about upgrading enemies to the players situation

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have always liked that about video games in general. "You say the Sky Fortress is hovering over Rabanastre and your entire fleet is getting blown the gently caress up? poo poo. Well, I'll go help, I just need to punch a fuckload of skeletons and wolves first, I'll be there in a few hours!"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
SNES-PS1 era Final Fantasy assume you get lost periodically on the world map or in the dungeons. They're grind free going in blind but if you follow any guides (besides bestiary filling, which tends to get grindy) you're going to find yourself poor in experience or gil.

NES assumes you are just constantly lost and aggravates this a few times more, even just doing small jrpg maximizations like "don't backtrack in a dungeon maze" gets you off the curve.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I will say this sort of puts me in a weird spot. FFXII is pretty long but I had a shitload of momentum up to this point. I don't have a problem with having to grind, conceptually, but it's kind of like tripping at the end of a really long race that I felt I was doing well in, so I'm torn. I'm so close to the end but also might just take a break before I grind out the last bit. I'm at 63 hours played on Steam and I'm almost positive like 20 of that is beating my head against a couple of bosses that I eventually overcame. It feels like 10 of those hours was the Sky Fortress. Maybe I'll play something else for a bit (start X? who knows) and come back to XII in a week or something. Not knocking the game, I like it and it might be my favorite single-player FF so far. I'll certainly be more prepared for this eventuality in the other games.

EDIT: Probably less than 20 is being stuck reloading saves tbh, I probably paused the game to eat at various points.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 3, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

Let's fight about whether Ashe's outfit makes sense for a rebel princess that's trying psych herself up to do some WMD fun

Practicality means less then the fact it's just plain ugly. It's impractical too, though. It's bad on every level.

Which fits, all the party members have bad designs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ff7 didnt require grinding in the classical sense at all when i played it, granted that's partially because e-skill is broken

in fact discounting Pokemon it's hard for me to think of the last JRPG i played that actually compelled me to grind for levels as opposed to drops or something. maybe slightly in SMTV so i could fuse Pyrojack for the first boss but that was like 10 minutes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
actually if you are playing the game for the first time in the 90's you have to grind to beat materia keeper the demon wall and the carry armor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
carry armor reacted really poorly to getting spammed with magic breath and that wasn't even one of the e-skills that needed a lot of doing to find like Big Guard

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

carry armor reacted really poorly to getting spammed with magic breath and that wasn't even one of the e-skills that needed a lot of doing to find like Big Guard

how am i going to know about how powerful enemy skills are without the internet or strategy guide!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I needed to grind a lot in FFs as a kid because random battles gave me anxiety so I ran away a lot and wondered why I was getting clobbered by the boss.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i got stuck on demon wall and had to grind to beat it in every game it appears in lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually i did grind at oen point which was because i entered the northern crater with everyone's levels at a multiple of 4 and one of the rando enemies loves using L4 Death lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually i did grind at oen point which was because i entered the northern crater with everyone's levels at a multiple of 4 and one of the rando enemies loves using L4 Death lol

If I made an FF I would make the max level 100 instead of 99 and then give all the endgame enemies lv. 4 death

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love old school JRPG bullshit but instadeath spells are one of those things i wouldnt mind going away forever and yes i mean you SMT

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Now the good news is FF16 will be bringing difficulty back to Final Fantasy so if you're a gamer :cool: and like the challenge :black101: then next year Square-Enix has the game for you! Preorder now!!!!!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I skipped the whole grind with the Golden Chocobo, by using a steam guide that nets you the bird in 30 minutes without racing.

I wonder if the remake will keep the giant chicken incest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i love old school JRPG bullshit but instadeath spells are one of those things i wouldnt mind going away forever and yes i mean you SMT
they literally did already in 5

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Smt has the decency of letting the player use them and have it be effective

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Practicality means less then the fact it's just plain ugly. It's impractical too, though. It's bad on every level.

Which fits, all the party members have bad designs.

Yeah I meant more that the outfit (which is ugly af) doesn't fit the character at all. Basch, Balthier, and Vaan (prob too fancy for street rat but w/e, vidya game) all seem like they fit the character and setting tbh. What is Penelo even wearing? It doesn't look like anything else in the game imo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
old school jrpg poo poo owns because none of the stats work and the spells dont do what they say they do if they even work at all lol

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

How many FF games has the magic resist not worked now? Three?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

old school jrpg poo poo owns because none of the stats work and the spells dont do what they say they do if they even work at all lol

And character limits mean spell names are incomprehensible at best!

“What does HNGP do?”

*deals 999 damage to self, game over*

“Awesome!”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its amazing how many RPGs where i've looked up guides and it was like "by the way the evade stat does literally nothing" lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I really hope FF16 has a callback MDEF that just doesn’t work

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Honestly the nes games are the only ones where i feel like the balancing is off enough a casual player might need to grind. The snes games were much better about upgrading enemies to the players situation

FFX’s final boss can be pretty rough if you don’t do at least some optional things, maybe grab one of the optional aeons or level enough to teach Yuna Ultima or something. It’s not a ton but doing a little extra can make a big difference there.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If you are playing the HD remaster you really want to fully complete the temple puzzles and use the destruction sphere to get the treasure when you're there the first time. There's a change in the remaster that could make reentering to get it later a huge pain in the rear end

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its amazing how many RPGs where i've looked up guides and it was like "by the way the evade stat does literally nothing" lol

Fwiw in some cases they probably couldnt balance it and development being what it was at the time trying to hide the stat made the game lock up for some reason

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ff7 didnt require grinding in the classical sense at all when i played it, granted that's partially because e-skill is broken
Using items for attacks was something I have not done in an RPG for a very long time. It was certainly worth the money this game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Using items for attacks was something I have not done in an RPG for a very long time. It was certainly worth the money this game.

Just like every rpg I've ever played I ended with a combined 420 ethers elixirs and megalixers lol

E) well except SMT that's definitely a "you had better use your items" game

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 3, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Just like every rpg I've ever played I ended with a combined 420 ethers elixirs and megalixers lol

E) well except SMT that's definitely a "you had better use your items" game

But what if an especially cute demon wants this item?? :ohdear:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Everybody in FF12 (except the Empire) dresses like a hair metal barbarian at a pride parade. I watched the open cinematic and thought, "No wonder those knights lost, their armor has bare midriffs!" Sexy but your DEAD IN THE STREETS.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is there a way to figure out where you're supposed to be going in FF12? I set it back up but I have no idea what I was doing last, I appear to have gone back to the plains for a hunt

Sometimes, but not always it seems, there is a red x on the map.

There have been few times I've missed important info in a cut scene and just wandered around looking at the shops until I blundered into another cutscene. Minor quibble since there is a million guides on the net, but they should have put in some quest markers or even just labels on the map.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I dunno about the original but TZA also puts a vague objective at the bottom of the map "Who built this place?", I think, is what's there when you enter Guravegan

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So what are good job combinations for the characters in FF12?

It seems I can do whatever and it will work based on every guide recomending completely different line ups, but I have no idea why I'd choose say knight over Foebreaker or vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Foebreakers and knights specifically comes down to the choice in weapons, and at the endgame, the utility of all the debuff technicks vs. some white magic.
Foebreaker weapons are bad, but they have access to both ranged and melee, and knights get greatswords.

For most jobs it's the weapon that should be the main draw, with the caveat that magick is a kind of weapon. So you'd choose knight over foebreaker if you want access to swords and greatswords, and foebreaker if you want access to axes/hammers and bombs.

Then there are the combos. For example, Black mage/Monk is very good, because monk gives black mage bulk, potential access to holy, a good melee, and all swiftness licenses. Monk gets all swiftness licenses and black magic.

MatteusTheCorrupt fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 4, 2022