Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol does anyone outside of brokebrained cspammers not realize how fragile this whole rickety rear end house of cards is

like lmao that's why republicans in the 80s and 90s started doing all this culture war poo poo to begin with! you could gently caress around with it and not break everything but then lol they all started believing their own propaganda and now they're hammering at the load bearing drywall keeping the whole house up

Political Groverhaus!

EDIT:

Abortion desert counties,before and after decision.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/24/abortion-laws-by-state-map-clinics

DrSunshine has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DrSunshine posted:

Political Groverhaus!

EDIT:

Abortion desert counties,before and after decision.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/24/abortion-laws-by-state-map-clinics

KS is about to go red. KS used to be the place that people in the "desert" could go. Those white spots in KC and Wichita will go soon since there's a ballot initiative in KS on Aug 2 and MO banned it completely with a trigger law.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the rahowa territory in northern idaho having better access than 99% of texas

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Once again New England coming out on top

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

someone needs to tell obama that martha's vineyard is an abortion desert

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I wish Obama had been aborted

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, let me be clear

If you like your fetus, you have to keep it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I will give Obama credit for humiliating Dread Abuela in 2008 but then he gave her a job like a sucker

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

Small brain: Cyprus is Turkey
Galaxy brain: Cuba is Cyprus

Universe brain: the universe is Türkiye

https://twitter.com/hananshamounnl/status/565997561165905920
https://twitter.com/hdner/status/565807564588212226
https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/619871525831884800

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

this is my second favorite Cuban/European interaction, next to the fact that Cuba deeded East Germany one of the outlying islands as a resort for East German party officials and since it wasn't mentioned in the unification treaty its still East German territory, not unified German

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol does anyone outside of brokebrained cspammers not realize how fragile this whole rickety rear end house of cards is

like lmao that's why republicans in the 80s and 90s started doing all this culture war poo poo to begin with! you could gently caress around with it and not break everything but then lol they all started believing their own propaganda and now they're hammering at the load bearing drywall keeping the whole house up

Contrary to materialist theory, it seems america runs on warhammer 40k ork logic where if enough of the loudest, most violent assholes believe something, it comes true. It doesn't need to be a majority either. This unfortunately will probably result in the reactionary upper middle class getting their dual desire to both not have their buffalo wing supply interrupted, and being able to say the n-word in public and police arrest anyone who gets mad at them for it. The rest of us get to suffer enough to keep everything trotting onwards, no catharsis of either complete destruction or liberation.

They're gonna knock this house down, and unfortunately I fear its going to work out for them more than it will fail.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Jul 3, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Uh, let me be clear

If you like your fetus, you have to keep it

When you give birth to a fetus does that mean it’s aborted?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Oglethorpe posted:

so which state cuts off non-commercial traffic to another state for providing abortions first

idaho ->washington/oregon because a lot of performative hand wringing could be nursed out of it.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

The Voice of Labor posted:

idaho ->washington/oregon because a lot of performative hand wringing could be nursed out of it.

idaho seems kind of low-brow for that

like, ohhhhhhhhhh idaho blocks borders!!! ~~waves hands scarily~~

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TeenageArchipelago posted:

and the 14th amendment at the same time

owns

e: I thought the 14th made it so that if you did something in one state that was illegal in another than that second state couldn't prosecute you for it. Am I remembering wrong or just not seeing it?

a state can't prosecute you for a crime that you do wholly in another state because the first state doesn't have jurisdiction there. the new laws that republicans are coming up with to punish people who leave the state to get abortions are novel legal territory for which there is no clear precedent, and was crafted specifically to make it impossible to challenge in court.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

big balk vibes

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1543610674873438208

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shear Modulus posted:

a state can't prosecute you for a crime that you do wholly in another state because the first state doesn't have jurisdiction there. the new laws that republicans are coming up with to punish people who leave the state to get abortions are novel legal territory for which there is no clear precedent, and was crafted specifically to make it impossible to challenge in court.

The US has a law that it's illegal to travel outside the country for the purpose of child sex trafficking. A state could argue that that's precedent. And we've clearly seen that SCOTUS doesn't care about precedent, only what the five most conservative justices can get away with.

monkeypox truther
Jun 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oglethorpe posted:

idaho seems kind of low-brow for that

like, ohhhhhhhhhh idaho blocks borders!!! ~~waves hands scarily~~

The new state of Brigham does not approve of your jocularity.

*cocks gun*

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Chamale posted:

The US has a law that it's illegal to travel outside the country for the purpose of child sex trafficking. A state could argue that that's precedent. And we've clearly seen that SCOTUS doesn't care about precedent, only what the five most conservative justices can get away with.

i can definitely see them ruling that way, but states don't even need to prosecute the mothers and in fact a lot of them don't, they just go after everyone who "assists" them in any way, so they'll go after family, friends, spouses etc. that live in the criminalized abortion state

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

don’t states have to extradite people indicted of a felony if another state formally requests it? Or does PR vs Branstad mean that they only have to if both the state and the feds officially say to do so?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

don’t states have to extradite people indicted of a felony if another state formally requests it? Or does PR vs Branstad mean that they only have to if both the state and the feds officially say to do so?

only if the person is charged with a crime by the requesting state, and currently a state has no authority to charge someone for a crime committed in another state. The texas law gets around this by virtue of the batshit civil suit mechanism

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

he's running for President (of the Independent California Republic)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Shear Modulus posted:

only if the person is charged with a crime by the requesting state, and currently a state has no authority to charge someone for a crime committed in another state. The texas law gets around this by virtue of the batshit civil suit mechanism

what’s stopping Texas in a couple years from declaring wombs of anyone with a vague connection to Texas as their jurisdiction?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

what’s stopping Texas in a couple years from declaring wombs of anyone with a vague connection to Texas as their jurisdiction?

legally speaking, the only thing stopping any legislator from passing any law is if the courts will let it stand or find some reason to throw it out

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

Once again New England coming out on top

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

my bony fealty posted:

he's running for President (of the Independent California Republic)

Nationalist Democratic Californian Workers Party

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

What kind of dickhead would WANT to take credit for this?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There will be no balk. Conservatives win whether they're in power or not and there is no scenario in which libs won't line up and march to the killing fields in the interest of decorum.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

There will be no balk. Conservatives win whether they're in power or not and there is no scenario in which libs won't line up and march to the killing fields in the interest of decorum.

Sir this is the balk thread for the most ins anely cool balk maps you can find

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pretned I posted that hilarious one where appalachia is in texas

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

Your mom initially balked at my advances but eventually she succumbed to my charms. Give it time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Still not sure where I’d rather be after the Big Balk. Do I stick with the Great Lakes Coalition with its plentiful water supply and agriculture, or so I move closer to my family and become a Cascadian citizen?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Wonder if my work from home company will help pay me to relocate after the Big Balk.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

new balk map

https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1543769377543184384/photo/1

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love that the mostly uninhabited Rocky Mountains plateau region doesn't even get a name

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Chamale posted:

I love that the mostly uninhabited Rocky Mountains plateau region doesn't even get a name

i assume the implication was those balk maps are post disarmament (the hard way)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Nothing.

Pennsylvania tries to slap anyone they can with their filial responsibility laws.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Lake city will be crushed by the Albuquerque-El Paso alliance

the Mormons are finished