Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Dobbs_Head posted:

Personally, I think what you did was fine and well within the range of normal community parenting. It’s fine for parents at a park to intercede when a kid isn’t behaving well, and that includes blocking other kids from using park equipment excessively. I have used, and will use again, the dad voice when kids are being excessive jerks or unsafe.

Sounds like you encouraged your kid to confront the issue reasonably and only stepped in when that failed and no responsible adult stepped forward.

If your kid can’t communicate at an age appropriate level, it’s on you as a parent to help manage interactions with other kids and parents.

Same, I don’t really know what dad voice is but unless it’s a euphemism for screaming then it doesn’t really seem like a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Silent Linguist posted:

What are y’all’s favorite masks for ~2 year olds? We’re probably going to be flying in August, and I would love to at least try to get the kid to wear a mask, even though he isn’t quite 2 yet.

https://longlatinc.com/product-category/ed-heck/?orderby=date&pa_styles=childrens

Full disclosure, I'm biased because this is my godfather's artwork. But the masks are a good size and fit well. The stretchy polyester material they make them out of probably isn't the most protective out there, but it's cool and comfortable. Since it's hard to get a 2 year old to wear a mask, I would put fun designs and comfort over effectiveness since something is better than nothing. It also has space for an insert if that's your thing. I've gotten a ridiculous number of compliments off of mine, too.

School MaskPack Crayola Kids Face Mask - 5 Reusable Cloth Face Masks Set, Cool Colors, Back to School Supplies https://a.co/d/d4SuqWc

Everyone I know has these masks too and overall like them. They're not exciting but they have a good fit and I'm satisfied. They have a built in piece of metal to help shape the nose which isn't something you see very often in kids masks.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Silent Linguist posted:

What are y’all’s favorite masks for ~2 year olds? We’re probably going to be flying in August, and I would love to at least try to get the kid to wear a mask, even though he isn’t quite 2 yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B096HBXLQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

This is the only one we've been able to get our gremlin to wear. Anything less than an actually well rated n95/kn95/kf94 is basically worthless against the current covid variants right now.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eggnogium posted:

Same, I don’t really know what dad voice is but unless it’s a euphemism for screaming then it doesn’t really seem like a big deal.

Dad/Mom Voice is something I generally see used to describe a stern, forceful but not yelling voice.

So like, you tell the kid(s) "Hey, get your shoes and things we need to get in the car." and then pull out the stern "Get ready to go. :catstare:" when they proceed to gently caress about doing everything but get ready to go.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BadSamaritan posted:

3-day weekends sure ain’t what they used to be, huh

As a 9-5 computer toucher working remote, I actually have 5 day weekends. That’s what I tell myself on weekends anyway.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Regardless of what mask you get, I highly recommend a silicon spacer like this one to go under it. It makes it a LOT harder for kiddo to pull the mask into their mouth to chew / suck on it. A wet mask or one with a hole in it is worse than not wearing one at all imo. https://a.co/d/cOqT6jN

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Who else was talking about booger walls in here? Just found my 3.5 year old starting a collection on his freshly painted walls…loving yuck.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

nwin posted:

Who else was talking about booger walls in here? Just found my 3.5 year old starting a collection on his freshly painted walls…loving yuck.

a marvel to be seen
dysentery green

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lmao all the kids are a complete mess today after staying up late at a 4th of July party where they were on a large bounce house slide thing and running around for a good 3 hours

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

devmd01 posted:

lmao all the kids are a complete mess today after staying up late at a 4th of July party where they were on a large bounce house slide thing and running around for a good 3 hours

I have given up on our kids sleeping decently while visiting my in laws. Kids continue being too excited to sleep, toddler won't nap and routinely finally goes to sleep at 11p+ local time. He seems content to exist off pouches and not actual food.

And, of course, as a parent i don't get to actually do what i want during the first week long break from work in almost a year (sleep, read, sleep some more, maybe play some switch).

I want nicotine. But! The kids are having a *blast* with their relatives.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One day I hope to be able to make my kid as happy as seeing a fire truck.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

And, of course, as a parent i don't get to actually do what i want during the first week long break from work in almost a year (sleep, read, sleep some more, maybe play some switch).

This is the one thing I was unprepared for in parenting. Everyone tells you that you’ll get no sleep, kids are always sick, it goes by so quickly, etc. Nobody mentions that your vacations are entire different; the kids may enjoy them but for you it’s a ton of work.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The twins are sick again. Hopefully just a cold, but they are both snotting like crazy and not feeling great.

Looks like they'll be starting off this month missing even more daycare!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Another milestone hit simultaneously? :hfive:

My wife and I are currently arguing back and forth about what to do when our kid picks her nose. Maybe it’s a good topic for this thread.

Discourage it completely? But then what should she do instead? Should we pick her nose for her?

Teach her that it’s OK to pick your nose when uncomfortable, but to do so in private?

If she eats her own own boogers, is that better or worse than wiping them off on whatever is at hand (which often means someone’s clothes)?

I never had a real think about these things, and I don’t see people writing about it in parenting book. :iiam:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

in_cahoots posted:

This is the one thing I was unprepared for in parenting. Everyone tells you that you’ll get no sleep, kids are always sick, it goes by so quickly, etc. Nobody mentions that your vacations are entire different; the kids may enjoy them but for you it’s a ton of work.

I usually am able to put up with it but it's just stuck in my craw this go around. Even with a week+ of time it's like we're rushing to fit everything in. Doesn't help that I "rescued" a baby mouse at my bro in laws place a little bit ago and can only really give it pallative care. Was abandoned near the garage, hairless and eyes still shut. Trying to keep my little nieces and my kids from that bit of the circle of life.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

We just came home from a weekend trip to a family reunion. I didn’t get to visit a whole lot because my kid is a mama’s girl and needs me close by at all times. That was expected though. It was just nice to be there. Even the 4.5 hour drive with a 20 month old was nice because she was so well behaved in the car. I could just sit and relax, listen to good music, read a book and sip my drink while my husband drove and grandma fed baby snacks in the backseat.

Relatives kept commenting on how cute and happy my kid is, so that was nice. She could not sleep in the tent though. We got a big one for us and my mom and all our stuff and it was really nice. But baby haaaated the sleep sack she needed to be in because of nighttime lows of 6 degrees Celsius. I ended up taking her into the hall with our rocking camp chair(so glad I bought it) so she could sleep in there. The next night we all slept in the hall and had a great sleep.

And of course this trip had the first time she threw up in many months right after I changed her diaper at our relative’s house. Cue me rushing back to the hall instead of having bbq to change her out of her pukey clothes and calm her down with snacks and cartoons. She was fine though. I dunno why she threw up, but it might have been the small piece of my mom’s homemade cookies. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Overall, great trip. Parenting in a new location is great because I love the change of scenery, new people, and new things to do. Baby got to see and pet a young calf, go down some big slides and play on a real piano that everyone tried to give to us. Unfortunately, we could not fit a piano into our Nissan sedan.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Another milestone hit simultaneously? :hfive:

My wife and I are currently arguing back and forth about what to do when our kid picks her nose. Maybe it’s a good topic for this thread.

Discourage it completely? But then what should she do instead? Should we pick her nose for her?

Teach her that it’s OK to pick your nose when uncomfortable, but to do so in private?

If she eats her own own boogers, is that better or worse than wiping them off on whatever is at hand (which often means someone’s clothes)?

I never had a real think about these things, and I don’t see people writing about it in parenting book. :iiam:

Would also like to know this. Ours just figured out her fingers can (adorably, grossly) go digging in there, and the impulse as a very oral baby is to go right to the mouth.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessa posted:

We just came home from a weekend trip to a family reunion. I didn’t get to visit a whole lot because my kid is a mama’s girl and needs me close by at all times. That was expected though. It was just nice to be there. Even the 4.5 hour drive with a 20 month old was nice because she was so well behaved in the car. I could just sit and relax, listen to good music, read a book and sip my drink while my husband drove and grandma fed baby snacks in the backseat.

Relatives kept commenting on how cute and happy my kid is, so that was nice. She could not sleep in the tent though. We got a big one for us and my mom and all our stuff and it was really nice. But baby haaaated the sleep sack she needed to be in because of nighttime lows of 6 degrees Celsius. I ended up taking her into the hall with our rocking camp chair(so glad I bought it) so she could sleep in there. The next night we all slept in the hall and had a great sleep.

And of course this trip had the first time she threw up in many months right after I changed her diaper at our relative’s house. Cue me rushing back to the hall instead of having bbq to change her out of her pukey clothes and calm her down with snacks and cartoons. She was fine though. I dunno why she threw up, but it might have been the small piece of my mom’s homemade cookies. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Overall, great trip. Parenting in a new location is great because I love the change of scenery, new people, and new things to do. Baby got to see and pet a young calf, go down some big slides and play on a real piano that everyone tried to give to us. Unfortunately, we could not fit a piano into our Nissan sedan.

What we've found works well for our kid for tent sleeping is a thick fleece onesie. It's also good for him to walk around in while it's still cool in the morning, and as a bonus is super cute.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It is the rare intersection of my wife taking a trip and the kids all going to the MIL for the duration, so it’s just me and the dog for 3+ days. Glorious.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Letting off some steam quick. I had to leave work and pick up my kids from daycare because they are sick AGAIN. I have missed so much work, and I don’t have sick time or PTO. Daycare doesn’t refund for sick kids, but they can’t come back until they have a negative covid test and are fever free for 24h.

They have been sick CONSTANTLY for what feels like forever. I haven’t been able to hang out with my friends in months because my kids have been sick. One of my closest friends has a four month old who I haven’t met yet because my kids are sick. I have hung out with one mom friend and her kids in the last… six months? Grandparents have been busy and not able to help as much as usual. I’m feeling extremely isolated. They were with their dad for July 4th so I got a day to myself, but then I was sick so it was no fun.

Come on, universe, can’t my kids just have a little break?? Can’t I just have a little break??

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Letting off some steam quick. I had to leave work and pick up my kids from daycare because they are sick AGAIN. I have missed so much work, and I don’t have sick time or PTO. Daycare doesn’t refund for sick kids, but they can’t come back until they have a negative covid test and are fever free for 24h.

They have been sick CONSTANTLY for what feels like forever. I haven’t been able to hang out with my friends in months because my kids have been sick. One of my closest friends has a four month old who I haven’t met yet because my kids are sick. I have hung out with one mom friend and her kids in the last… six months? Grandparents have been busy and not able to help as much as usual. I’m feeling extremely isolated. They were with their dad for July 4th so I got a day to myself, but then I was sick so it was no fun.

Come on, universe, can’t my kids just have a little break?? Can’t I just have a little break??

My daughter just came down with a cold with ear infection a month after COVID, and my son had the shits last week for a couple of days. After this week they will have missed more daycare than they have been present for.

I’m starting to wonder why I’m paying thousands of dollars just to have to stay at home with sick kids. I could just stay at home with healthy kids for free.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mind_Taker posted:

i’m starting to wonder why I’m paying thousands of dollars just to have to stay at home with sick kids. I could just stay at home with healthy kids for free.

Big mood. Our son's gotten sniffly again during this trip.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

We finally got through a month without getting sick. This past winter and spring were absolutely brutal, basically everything but COVID.

I’m sure we’ll all get hit with COVID or something tomorrow.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

I’m starting to wonder why I’m paying thousands of dollars just to have to stay at home with sick kids. I could just stay at home with healthy kids for free.

We were planning on getting our kid his shots then finding a daycare ASAP but at this rate we may stick with the private nanny despite the cost. He's been sick once this year, and that was from the inlaws.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

We were planning on getting our kid his shots then finding a daycare ASAP but at this rate we may stick with the private nanny despite the cost. He's been sick once this year, and that was from the inlaws.

Our kids have loved it so far when they have been able to go. They very much enjoy the social interaction, activities, and just having a nice routine where we pack up and go to school every* day. I feel like their language and vocabulary has started to expand quite a bit since they started, though it may just be coincidental because of their age. And it seems like they are better behaved and listen better. Despite the illnesses I feel like I have been able to keep my sanity knowing that I'll be getting a break soon enough, even if I know it won't be long-lived.

So I don't want to make it seem like daycare has been bad. Just frustrating that I won't be able to really start looking for a job and that we are paying a lot of money for an inconsistent schedule. Much like everything with our kids things haven't turned out the way we thought.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our daycare gives no fucks, you need a temperature + positive test to get sent home. If you test positive with no symptoms you can stay in daycare with no penalty

Our old daycare, they would take the kids temp each day and log it, any positive cases meant the whole daycare shut down for 10 days and kids had to test negative to return

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
my kid only has like 15% of my body mass and yet her shits are the same size as mine if not larger, the human body is a beautiful mysterious miracle 🙏😌

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

meanolmrcloud posted:

Would also like to know this. Ours just figured out her fingers can (adorably, grossly) go digging in there, and the impulse as a very oral baby is to go right to the mouth.

Just had this discussion with my 6yo the other day. I just told them to use a tissue when you're around other people and you can go hogwild in private (as long as you don't wipe boogers anywhere).

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
4.5 year old puked for the first time in her life today, she was suitably horrified. it was on me, so so was I.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My 3.5yo lied to me today. I saw him eat the cat food, which he has been told very clearly not to do before, multiple times.

I ask him if he ate any cat food.

No.

What are you chewing on?

A muffin. No a pretzel. No a cookie.

Right.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Big Taint posted:

My 3.5yo lied to me today. I saw him eat the cat food, which he has been told very clearly not to do before, multiple times.

I ask him if he ate any cat food.

No.

What are you chewing on?

A muffin. No a pretzel. No a cookie.

Right.

This and the booger answer above are forcing my brain to have some perspective about how quickly my baby will learn to not eat catfood and boogers. Are you saying I have to deal with a running giggling infant with a handful of catfood for at least two more years gently caress me

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What we've found works well for our kid for tent sleeping is a thick fleece onesie. It's also good for him to walk around in while it's still cool in the morning, and as a bonus is super cute.

Oh, we had her in some layers. A long sleeve bodysuit with cable knit tights, thick socks and then fleece two-piece footie pajamas on top. I tried to put a hat on her, but she kept pulling it off.

We probably won’t go “camping” again until the next reunion in 3 years where she’ll be 4, and hopefully better able to handle tent sleeping. I would really like to maybe get a tent trailer for the future though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, hello terrible 2s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

King Baby posted:

My son is high on the autism spectrum and I’ve found parents of disabled children to be pretty closed off. We used to go to a special needs soccer and the non verbal children were far social then their parents. My son always wants to ditch me when we’re in these settings because he likes to pretend he’s independent. Another boy grabbed my arm and made me score a goal with him. I ended up tripping causing the boy to silently laugh and my son to run over and…sit on my stomach. The other boy helped me up. The last day I said goodbye to the other boy and he said goodbye back, he was non verbal so it made me crumble a bit.

My son did great with the soccer the 2nd time around. At 5, The first season he just wanted to wander around the field and humped the ball a few times. At 6, This time I saw something click and he actually wanted to play, dribbling and scoring goals on his own. One time the previous group of teens were late finishing their game. My son darted on the field when they were lining up to take free goal shots, took the ball and made his own goal shot, then demanded they cheer for him. Then he wanted to do it again because it was his time now! It was the first time I had to pull him off the field instead of trying to keep him on it. He was the whole F’n show that season.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Well. Sleep training and weaning have both gone out the window for us and our 2.5 year old. She has hand-foot-and-mouth disease. This means no work will get done for the parents this week and no sleep either. And a miserable toddler.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We had an awesome 4th of July weekend, two cookouts, a baseball game, pinball at my favorite bar... But today my son is throwing the biggest tantrum he's ever done because he can't wear the same Orioles shirt for over 24 hours.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

MY GUY THEY ARE NOT THAT GOOD.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We've been finding that the kid almost has like two energy bars, one for the day and one for a couple of days. The day one follows the usual pattern where it's wake up, awake 13 hours then sleep 11, but now that we are doing more summer activities and trips were finding that if we do two days of back to back activities(even if it's just 30 min swim class) the third day is going to be a "trouble day" of less than great behavior. If we take that thrid day as an off-day of lazing around and movies it seems to help.

The pain now is trying to tell the 4yo that she can infant wake up on her own and go downstairs to get her breakfast and ipad on her own. We set up a little snack-bar where we put all healthy choices of her favorite foods and an unlocked iPad we curated for her. The idea is she can get up on her own for 10-15 min while we put our soul back into our body. Instead we get "mama, papa im awake." Followed shortly by "IM AWAKE COME HERE RIGHT NOW!!!"

We've told her many times no yelling, nice words, etc. She's lost her youtube etc. Still isn't sticking that she can just...get up, say I'm awake once and go on her own.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone have good tips for getting rid of bottles? Our 12mo switched to whole milk no problem, but will absolutely refuse the milk in anything but a bottle. Water is fine in a normal cup or a cup with a straw, but that's it. Even if we hide the milk in a covered cup, the second he drinks it and realizes our trick, he just spits it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone have good tips for getting rid of bottles? Our 12mo switched to whole milk no problem, but will absolutely refuse the milk in anything but a bottle. Water is fine in a normal cup or a cup with a straw, but that's it. Even if we hide the milk in a covered cup, the second he drinks it and realizes our trick, he just spits it out.

We went through a similar thing where he would drink a few sips of milk from his cup and then refuse the rest unless we put it in a bottle. Honestly it just took some time, where we offered a cup of milk at every meal until eventually he got used to it. It was maybe 2-3 weeks before he ditched bottles completely.