Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I got COVID for the sixth time and I'm currently working through it :kheldragar:

How many positive tests have you had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Salt Fish posted:

I mean, what more specifically is panic behavior? Wearing a mask to the grocery store? Ordering out instead of eating in? I think most people taking the pandemic seriously from a personal responsibility standpoint are striking a pretty healthy balance in finding safe activities and minimizing risk

Not loving and sucking in the communal orgy pit cum Denny's for one

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I got COVID for the sixth time and I'm currently working through it :kheldragar:

This has been the worst infection I've had since OG by far. I started out feeling meh Thursday, on Friday I had so little energy I called off work early and basically shuttled between my bed and the couch, yesterday was fevertown and today it's a sore throat, mucus and coughing. It's basically been Wack-a-mole with symptoms: as soon as one gets knocked down another emerges

Oh and I've been up since 0230 eastern because I've had such violent coughing fits it kept me awake.

Do you remember all the times and how you catched it each time?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e: nvm thought this was cspam

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This has been the worst infection I've had since OG by far. I started out feeling meh Thursday, on Friday I had so little energy I called off work early and basically shuttled between my bed and the couch, yesterday was fevertown and today it's a sore throat, mucus and coughing. It's basically been Wack-a-mole with symptoms: as soon as one gets knocked down another emerges

Oh and I've been up since 0230 eastern because I've had such violent coughing fits it kept me awake.

What sort of job do you work?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MarcusSA posted:

How many positive tests have you had?

Five, but I'm certain one was COVID due to unique symptoms but I added it anyway

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Do you remember all the times and how you catched it each time?

Yes:

1) OG COVID: December 2019, my ex had cleaned the apartment of a dude who literally flew back from Wuhan a couple days prior. He was sneezing and coughing something fierce and five days later she presented all the OG symptoms and was nearly hospitalized

I know some may say that COVID hasn't arrived yet and it was the flu, but I believe COVID had entered way long before we knew and honestly looking at her when she was sick, it wasn't the flu

2-4) open air transmission in 2021 where I was stupid as hell and didn't wear a mask in crowded places

5) December 2021: my parents invited their friends over and lo and behold the guy started coughing and sneezing halfway through and welp :unsmith: my dad tried to gaslight me saying it couldn't have been that. Thanks dad.

6) indoor event this week: This was on me because I saw the woman wheezing from simple walking, coughing and sneezing and I texted my friend that I was sure she had COVID. Lo and behold an email comes out on Friday that there's an outbreak.

The thing is up until now I have had very specific COVID symptoms, and they all match up with my vaccine and booster doses. They don't match any other virus I've ever had, so even if I had never tested there's a dang good bet I would have it

That being said, I've pretty much been asking for it being unmasked, besides the og and 5th infection. I probably should have masked on five but I didn't want to hear my parents complaining I was being rude. I mask up on public transportation and grocery stores but everything else I've kind of slipped

Feel free to roast me for being an idiot because honestly I deserve it

Fuschia tude posted:

What sort of job do you work?

I do remote work so I rarely see people tbh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Nah, nobody deserves this poo poo its just a bad situation all around.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Anyone else have the side effect from paxlovid where your mouth tastes like grapefruit juice and vomit? Not sure I can finish the last two days. Is this like an antibiotic where I’m going to create a version of super covid by not finishing the dose?

rally fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 3, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Salt Fish posted:

I mean, what more specifically is panic behavior?

Confidently making statements like this:

quote:

BA.4/BA.5 don't even confer immunity against themselves. You can get back-to-back infections within a month.

Which was responded to with alarm by people in this thread

Once again, despite what appears to be your hope that I'm doing so, i am not advocating for the reduction of safety measures nor am I minimizing the very real risks of covid. I'm just trying to prevent people from inflating those risks

Riptor fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 3, 2022

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Put a loving mask on before you leave your loving home you loving smoothbrain

Six goddamn infections and you don't have at least 3 boxes of Auras lying around? What the gently caress is the matter with you

Seth Pecksniff posted:

That being said, I've pretty much been asking for it being unmasked, besides the og and 5th infection. I probably should have masked on five but I didn't want to hear my parents complaining I was being rude. I mask up on public transportation and grocery stores but everything else I've kind of slipped

As a stupid parent haver myself, I can officially diagnose your parents with Weapons-Grade Stupid if they would give you poo poo about masking up. gently caress what they think. Protect yourself and others. FILTER THE AIR COMING INTO AND OUT OF YOUR DISGUSTING GOB

olives black fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 3, 2022

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
It’s hard to imagine getting infected 6 times. I’m on my first and I’ve been extremely careless - been to more than a dozen concerts both inside and outside, large family gatherings etc. I guess it’s very much luck of the draw? Or I’m just a lucky idiot.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

rally posted:

It’s hard to imagine getting infected 6 times. I’m on my first and I’ve been extremely careless - been to more than a dozen concerts both inside and outside, large family gatherings etc. I guess it’s very much luck of the draw? Or I’m just a lucky idiot.

my uneducated feeling is that there's a perfect storm of booster effectiveness wearing off and new variants. i know about a dozen people with covid right now and I bet if at-home positive tests were counted we'd see one of the highest case counts of the pandemic.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

olives black posted:

Put a loving mask on before you leave your loving home you loving smoothbrain

Six goddamn infections and you don't have at least 3 boxes of Aura's lying around? What the gently caress is the matter with you

As a stupid parent haver myself, I can officially diagnose your parents with Weapons-Grade Stupid if they would give you poo poo about masking up. gently caress what they think. Protect yourself and others. FILTER THE AIR COMING INTO AND OUT OF YOUR DISGUSTING GOB

Trust man, I agree with the second part but that's why therapy exists

I have a ton of masks, I've just been more lax about it in some situations. I still mask up for restaurants, transportation and most other things but I'll agree I've been really dumb and mostly lucky

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I still mask up for restaurants

What does this mean? Do you eat at the restaurants, or are you talking about masking up to pick up takeout?

Because if you're still eating at indoor dining restaurants, I know why you keep getting covid.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

WampaLord posted:

What does this mean? Do you eat at the restaurants, or are you talking about masking up to pick up takeout?

Well I mean I do wear it inside if I do eat inside for sitdown but I guess that makes no sense if you're eating it. I try to eat outside when applicable

I do absolutely mask up to pick up takeout 100%, that's no question

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Well I mean I do wear it inside if I do eat inside for sitdown but I guess that makes no sense if you're eating it.

quote:

if I do eat inside for sitdown

quote:

eat inside

:negative:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have had covid exactly 0 times, and I think it's probably because I wear a mask if I'm in an indoor space and I don't do stupid poo poo like eat inside restaurants, go to movie theaters or concerts, or hang around other crowded places. These aren't real sacrifices imo so they're easy to make.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Your time will come

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Your time will come

Probably, but the point is for it to come as infrequently as possible. Medicine isn't just going to stand still, better therapies and vaccines will be available at some point.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Trust man, I agree with the second part but that's why therapy exists

I have a ton of masks, I've just been more lax about it in some situations. I still mask up for restaurants, transportation and most other things but I'll agree I've been really dumb and mostly lucky

Remember this feeling. You don't have to turn into a caver, but wearing a good N95 can help.

Have you had any lingering symptoms from your last 5x that you can think of?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've done exactly one risky thing in the last two year, a work conference, and I'm 99% sure that's where I caught it. Which makes me feel like every risky event is an absolute certainty of catching it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've done exactly one risky thing in the last two year, a work conference, and I'm 99% sure that's where I caught it. Which makes me feel like every risky event is an absolute certainty of catching it.

Counterpoint: even among people who are taking few or no precautions, six infections is loving bananas

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Every day you don't get COVID is a victory, you want as many of those as possible.

Also just so people know, its very possible to exercise quite hard in an elastomeric mask. If anything the "more hardcore" masks are better, mostly for comfort.

Tulip posted:

I ran today 3.66 miles. I went harder than usual - fastest mile was 8:03! It was also my first run since Dec 31 - I've been caveman moding pretty hard.

What was actually noteworthy about the run was that I ran in my HF-803SD with P100 filters, using the Singh Thattha technique to keep my beard under control. I got dressed and tested positive and negative pressure for good seals before I walked out the door.

What I found was that this was in fact considerably easier than running with KN95s, even though my fit with KN95s tends to be completely awful. I've been using the halfmask for a few weeks for work at this point but I've just been walking rather than running, was afraid that the filters would impede airflow too much or that it would otherwise be uncomfortable, but again huge improvement over the KN95. My nose got pretty broken about 10 years ago so it can get a little uncomfortable at the top of my nose but I'm brainstorming some possible fixes. A+ can recommend the half mask.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Riptor posted:

Counterpoint: even among people who are taking few or no precautions, six infections is loving bananas
I know a bunch of people who work in NYC bars. Six infections is like little baby

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Riptor posted:

Confidently making statements like this:

Which was responded to with alarm by people in this thread

Once again, despite what appears to be your hope that I'm doing so, i am not advocating for the reduction of safety measures nor am I minimizing the very real risks of covid. I'm just trying to prevent people from inflating those risks

Why do you think that it's over confidence on the part of the previous poster, and that the alarm is unjustified?

Do you have a working theory why BA.4/5 would not be similar to BA.2 in regard to nearly worthless induced immunity to further omicron infections? I mean, it's been pretty well established that the palette of mutations present in BA.5 (such as L452R for increased ACE2 binding, Q493 for evasion of conferred immunity - all features previously seen and analyzed in prior variants such as Delta, etc) have increased the BA.4/5 binding efficacy, and improved its immunity evasion .

The number of mutations to the RBD and in general also make the risk of reinfection higher as Eric Topol put it recently - "The risk of reinfection with BA.5 has substantially increased because prior infections are far away (antigenically) from an aligned immune response."

Public Health organizations like Public Heatlh Ontatio are making cautious assumptions about BA.4/5 based on the best available evidence and I think most people who are not medical professionals would better off erring on the side of caution and assuming these "inflated risks" are true until proven otherwise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blitter posted:

mutations present in BA.5 (such as L452R for increased ACE2 binding

The Christmas Tree variant (Epsilon) had this. Amazing that it’s taken superstar Omicron so long to develop it.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Riptor posted:

It does seem pretty crazy, and an awful failure of public heath and worker protections imo.

This UK healthcare worker is on her 5th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrKerrySmith/status/1542770297409048579

The possibility of immunological dysfunction in combination with repeat infections seems concerning to me, but no specific peer reviewed evidence yet for BA.4/5 so I guess we just wait for the definitive data and papers we might have in the future!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 3, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Remember this feeling. You don't have to turn into a caver, but wearing a good N95 can help.

Have you had any lingering symptoms from your last 5x that you can think of?

Yeah, my primary one is I randomly smell heavy cigarette smoke for a day. I thought this was a COVID symptom in itself, but I've tested during it and it was negative every time.

It's like someone's blowing cigarette smoke directly into my nostrils. It's disgusting and I hate it. Lasts only a day thankfully

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Your time will come

I'm sure it will but even when it does I'll probably be thinking "at least this is my first and not sixth"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I have had covid exactly 0 times, and I think it's probably because I wear a mask if I'm in an indoor space and I don't do stupid poo poo like eat inside restaurants, go to movie theaters or concerts, or hang around other crowded places. These aren't real sacrifices imo so they're easy to make.

Do you work from home, or not in a public facing position? Because if so, that is the #1 reason you haven't had covid yet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Do you work from home, or not in a public facing position? Because if so, that is the #1 reason you haven't had covid yet.

I work in an office building around other people, this office building has had numerous outbreaks, and we're pretty certain that one happened in the room that I spend literally all day in, but I wore an N95 and my coworkers didn't

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Tulip posted:

Also just so people know, its very possible to exercise quite hard in an elastomeric mask. If anything the "more hardcore" masks are better, mostly for comfort.

Back pre-COVID I would bike to work pretty regularly, and during some of the wildfires the Bay Area had it bad enough that you'd be at a red light waiting and smoke would just be rolling across the road. I actually started cycling to work in a P100 to protect my lungs, and after an initial 15 minutes of "this is a nightmare! I can't breathe while exercising like this!" I just suddenly got used to it, and I've since read some people do it all the time in the hopes they can strengthen/exercise their lungs on top of the rest of their body.

I've actually been using that same P100 mask when I've had to go into the office, for maximum protection. At some point I bought the little clipon exhaust filter 3M brought out during COVID that makes it medically "okay" as I felt a bit guilty even though nobody else cared.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charles Ford posted:

I've since read some people do it all the time in the hopes they can strengthen/exercise their lungs on top of the rest of their body.

This doesn’t really work in most cases, it limits the intensity of the workout and is counterproductive, but it is funny that people like Joe Rogan were interested in the idea prior to the pandemic, and then suddenly many of them went aggressively antimask.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:lol:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
COVID doesn't use vampire rules, you can't defend against it by eating garlic.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Iron Crowned posted:

COVID doesn't use vampire rules, you can't defend against it by eating garlic.

Garlic helps, you just need to eat enough of it to make people hold their breath and back off.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Time to finally tell my miracle. I somehow managed to catch A COLD and not covid in Southern California about 9 days ago.

Since I'm living with my brother who is terminal from colon cancer and currently undergoing the Folfox 6 chemotherapy regimen I was TERRIFIED when I first got sick. I did a pcr swab and then isolated completely in a small bedroom for a week. [ghastly, and I will appreciate fresh water more the rest of my life.]

The pcr and all rapid tests all kept showing negative. I mask well and wonder how on earth I got so lucky. I came out today because symptoms gone except very slight residual cough.

I hope he doesn't catch it, it should be ok.

Those of us unlucky enough to be living with or are severely imunocompromised are nuked now.
I cant work again until he dies.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Riptor posted:

I'm not saying anything about acting differently. I'm saying the degree of panic should be tempered

I live in the US and let me assure you no one here appears to be panicking. In fact, over here it seems like there’s not really much awareness regarding BA.4, BA.5 or BA.2.75. Even wilder I don’t think most people, at least this is the case wrt people in my social circle are aware of BA.2.12.1. Most people seem to think BA.2 was the last variant and that the pandemic ended sometime last month or so. I’m not seeing anyone panicking or even expressing concern or even awareness outside of doctors and scientists and I guess covid threads.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yes I'm referring to the thread

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Oh, I didn’t see any panicking, it’s probs a perception thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Spinz posted:

Time to finally tell my miracle. I somehow managed to catch A COLD and not covid in Southern California about 9 days ago.

Since I'm living with my brother who is terminal from colon cancer and currently undergoing the Folfox 6 chemotherapy regimen I was TERRIFIED when I first got sick. I did a pcr swab and then isolated completely in a small bedroom for a week. [ghastly, and I will appreciate fresh water more the rest of my life.]

The pcr and all rapid tests all kept showing negative. I mask well and wonder how on earth I got so lucky. I came out today because symptoms gone except very slight residual cough.

I hope he doesn't catch it, it should be ok.

Those of us unlucky enough to be living with or are severely imunocompromised are nuked now.
I cant work again until he dies.

Sorry for you and your brother. This is a poo poo way to spend your last days.