Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I have :10bux: in Play Store credit burning a hole in my pocket and a disdain for lovely cashgrab f2p mobile games. What's a good paid game for me to play while pooping? And don't say Hoplite because I've already played that game to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

quiggy posted:

I have :10bux: in Play Store credit burning a hole in my pocket and a disdain for lovely cashgrab f2p mobile games. What's a good paid game for me to play while pooping? And don't say Hoplite because I've already played that game to death

The dice one from several pages ago? Dungeon warfare?

I dunno, there aren't a lot of paid phone games that come out.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Slice and Dice is dangerously addictive if you like roguelike rpg games

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Slice & Dice is the $7 one time purchase game that I keep going back to. You won't regret it.

You can even try it for free to see if it clicks with you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com.tann.dice&hl=en_US&gl=US

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Slice and Dice is dangerously addictive if you like roguelike rpg games

Beware of slice and dice, it is far too much fun then it has any right to be.

The creator respond fairly often on the slice and dice thread. They are in works of a huge update one of these days.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's super good

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'll stan for Slice & Dice, Polytopia, Slay the Spire, You Must Build a Boat, Lara Croft Go... and some good PC/console ports are the XCOM games and KOTOR.

I'm enjoying Shattered released by Netflix, but it's hard to call it "a phone game". It's a modern Breakout/Arkanoid version I used to play on PS3. It's nice but I prefer stuff that's turn-based/slower on mobile.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright I'll try out Slice and Dice, thanks all!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

quiggy posted:

Alright I'll try out Slice and Dice, thanks all!

You'll love it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Are there any spiderweb software/realmz style crpgs for Android? Play store is useless for actually finding anything.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pissinthewind posted:

Are there any spiderweb software/realmz style crpgs for Android? Play store is useless for actually finding anything.

There was an Android port of Avadon: The Black Fortress, literally by Spiderweb. I got it in a humble bundle ages ago. But apparently the third party company that handled the port went out of business so the Spiderweb dude took it down from the store since it couldn't be updated to work with the latest Android versions. Might be able to find a download somewhere still.

I never played it much so I can't say how good the port is.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

IDK what it is with android and controller support but a lot of devs seem to just give up and ignore it. Even Genshin Impact with its 9-digit development budget doesn't support controllers on android (but it does on iphone/ps4/pc).
Just recently got a Razer Kishi and I am at a loss for what to use with it outside of AM2R, emulators and Steam Link. I'm up to trying stuff but I really don't know what's out there that isn't a multiplayer shooter that supports the controller.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Asphalt Extreme from Netflix supports a controller, tested it with USB to go cable and a Dualshock 4.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Beffica posted:

Just recently got a Razer Kishi and I am at a loss for what to use with it outside of AM2R, emulators and Steam Link. I'm up to trying stuff but I really don't know what's out there that isn't a multiplayer shooter that supports the controller.

What're your thoughts on the Kishi so far? I have a couple games in mind for controller use, so maybe we can share notes a lil.

Levelheadis a mario maker-style platformer. All the trappings of usual 2d stuff and a robust level editor and still active community making levels.

Pascal's Wageris the mobile Soulslike with the most polish. I found the later bosses brutally difficult without a controller, so maybe not having to fight the game will make the difficulty curve more enjoyable. Has some very House of the Dead-eqsue overwrought voice acting in the cutscenes, just so you don't miss it because the story, otherwise, is a bit unremarkable.

Candies and Cursesis a original Mario Brothers style platformer (Single screen levels where you're interacting with obstacles/enemies). Beautiful animation/pixel art and a ton of depth for what amounts to a pretty simple game. Absolutely worth a look for anyone, but does feel like it would play particularly well with a controller.

Gunfire Rebornis a shooter, but also kinda my point of interest in the controller, very slick game, just a little tricky to do fine aiming on a screen. Very similar to borderlands, lots of spongy enemies with weak points and shields and elemental resists. I expect much more accessible with some sticks.

Any genre specific stuff you like? I play a lot of phone stuff and playtest a lot of chaff, so I can occasionally dig up some diamonds in the rough.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beffica posted:

I've been playing Titan Quest and SOTN which both feel great with the controller, tried Don't Starve and Grimvalor which both had good controller support too. The Xbox Gamepass streaming stuff works incredibly well if you have a decent enough internet connection to stream without lag. Seems like the Android GTA ports are all busted and abandoned at this point which definitely sucks because I was looking forward to trying that with a controller.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Is the Xcom2 port good?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I have no idea if it's any good yet because I just started but Paragon Pioneers seems like a cool mix between Anno and an idler. It looks like a match 3 thing from the images but it's just tapping on tiles to manually collect resources for supply chains.

Kinda done with this, I think it's a very well made game but the island to island trading takes like 1-2 hours real time for one leg of the route, so it seems really goddamn difficult to sufficiently supply an island with something that isn't produced on that island. The fact that the boats are abstracted as timers instead of visually seeing boats on routes or docked at towns means you're also heavily reliant on the menu to see where your goods are and the menus are pretty confusing. For what it is this is a neat mobile/idle recreation of the basic loop of an Anno game but once the complexity ramps up it just becomes too much to keep track of using the sorta shoddy UI.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Dicey Dungeon is out for Android now, real fun!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

eonblue174 posted:

Fuuuuuck, thank you for the reminder. I played this on Steam when it launched but refunded it after an hour or so. I remember enjoying it but coming to the conclusion that it's not the kind of game I'd sit in front of my PC and play but would love it on mobile. Guess I have to buy it on android now :v:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
You couldn't pay me to try to beat witch round 4 again, gently caress that poo poo.

Rest of the game is good though

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

eonblue174 posted:

Oh my God. I've been waiting all year for this. Is it a good port??

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Kris xK posted:

Is the Xcom2 port good?

I really enjoyed a playthrough on my S9 base model. My phone's older so sometimes it'd lag a bit, and I had the occasional crash here and there. Load times are long for me. There are fewer overall maps which means more repetitiveness, but otherwise it's a stock XCOM+WOTC campaign experience. The UI is totally fine and usable on my smaller phone. I think it's an aces port and am glad I have it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm surprised they stripped maps out of it. I didn't chime in because I've only played XCOM1 on Android, which I was surprised by how great it was.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Recently got introduced to these somewhat barebones but very good games created by "Yiotro". There's a bunch of them but what I found the coolest were:

Bleentoro: Factorio if it was a puzzle game. That should be enough to tell you if you're interested.

Achikaps: a base building/economy game, fairly simple at its core, some stuff could do with more explaining and difficulty spikes are very weird but it all makes sense if you pay a little attention. There're a lot of options available from the start that you really shouldn't/can't bother with until later levels. Also does a weird thing where recipes and what buildings are available or even things like whether ammo is required changes from level to level but it mostly just keeps things fresh. I'm complaining a lot but it's the game I've put the most time into.

All their stuff is free and add free with some having "premium" versions that are like, $2. It tends to be just extra campaign levels so check out the regular versions

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I've never played Dicey Dungeons but have heard good things about it so I picked it up with my Google Rewards points and it's pretty good so far! It's really slick, uses almost no battery, and seems like a good time so far. You can even edit your save and skip episodes if you want.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
For dawncaster does anyone have a good rogue build? It seems like poison could be great, but you need like 3 enchantments to make it work.

I had a good bleed based build going but then I got to the swamp and all the undead are immune to bleed. RIP.

I tried rogue on difficult and didn't even make it to the first boss. Rogues basic attacks start so weak and half the first zone mobs get evasion which fucks with your ambush

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah rogue is nice but poison ticks away so drat slowly so I usually had the same problem. I was discussing it a bit in the Roguelike thread and Razaki had a lot of good info. Venomancing is really the best card you could hope for, but even in the one round that I had that card I still died pretty easily.

Razakai posted:

Poison rogue needs Poison Coating(?), the 3 poison on hit enchantment. Nothing else is going to be able to stack poison as fast for free, but it's not super uncommon. Then you need at least one of the below, if not more:

- Venomancing. The best and easiest, being an uncommon enchantment that adds poison damage to basic attacks. Dexterity Surge, Twinstrike and Hidden Weapon are all common/uncommon (or guaranteed to be in your deck) cards that generate or trigger basic attacks for it. Twinstrike with Hatchet is especially good as it hits 4x if you're flanking.
- Cull the Weak. As it's a rare card, you probably won't see many of them, but it's a solid no-frills option as it procs bleed+poison damage. Very strong if you're also doing bleed, but typically that's more of a hunter thing.
- Plagued Strike and some way to reset ambush. The weakest option, but Plague Strike is common so you can find them easily, and it can carry you early on. Lookout is probably the best card for this as it's a free cantrip, Guerilla Tactics can be ok with the right deck, but your best option by far is Shadowdancer, a rare talent (so typically you'll only find it lategame) that makes ambush permanent. In general Shadowdancer is insane as a lot of cards with ambush requirements become way way better when you don't have to juggle sneak attack/lookout. Also another reason that Prodigy is a good talent early on if nothing great jumps out, as 4 rerolls means finding the good talents is way better.
- Special mention to Avatar of Blight, which gives energy on poison. If you have this and some decent draw you're now Arcanist tier as you can just repeatedly draw your entire deck until something dies.

There's more in that thread if you want to read more into it, I still found even with these tips that like you I rarely made it past the first or second boss before I could get the pieces together that made it actually powerful and not just stacking stacks of poison that never really did much. Then I'd usually sigh and play arcanist again and easily cruise into the endgame by throwing out every lightning bolt in the deck every single hand I played.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 10, 2022

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

thought dicey dungeons would be the game to finally make me put down slice&dice, but after trying it out i'm not sure. turns with these later classes feel more like solving a sudoku then a quick dungeon bash and i'm not even past the first difficulty :sweatdrop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I actually have felt the same way about DD so far, I think it's neat but it does feel more like a puzzler and I'm just itching to play more Dawncaster

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

explosivo posted:

I actually have felt the same way about DD so far, I think it's neat but it does feel more like a puzzler and I'm just itching to play more Dawncaster

Sell me on Dawncaster? I don't mean I need motivation to play it; I don't own it and am interested, I think?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's just a good deck building roguelike with a lot of different build potentials so every run feels a little different. It's also a rare portrait mode game which I love.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, you could tell me that a game is an 11/10 but if the words 'deckbuilding roguelike' are part of that description then all interest of mine goes out the window.

Edit: 'roguelike deckbuilder' is more common, I think

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Morpheus posted:

Man, you could tell me that a game is an 11/10 but if the words 'deckbuilding roguelike' are part of that description then all interest of mine goes out the window.

Edit: 'roguelike deckbuilder' is more common, I think

I'm in the same boat. I rarely want to play a card game by myself, and never virtually. As for roguelikes, unless there's some sort of meta progression, I have no interest.

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 12, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A game you can play in profile is a huge plus though for me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I'm in the same boat. I rarely want to play a cart game by myself, and never virtually. As for rouguelikes, unless there's some sort f meta progression, I have no interest.

drat, this is a nice one. The only question is whether someone will bite first on 'cart' 'rougue' or metaprogression.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Osmosisch posted:

drat, this is a nice one. The only question is whether someone will bite first on 'cart' 'rougue' or metaprogression.

drat you autocorrect!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Osmosisch posted:

Is this RC ProAM? :thunk:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Dawn caster is pretty slick because the core game is a solid deckbuilder, it's got lots of unlocks that change your playstyle, and it's got a lot of really fun synergies and combos to discover.

My most recent arcanist run, my first talent was "when you add a magic action, also add a free copy of it", so naturally I drafted every expensive magic action, purged my deck of basic attacks, and als9 purged my deck of those actual expensive spells when possible, leaving just the free ones. Such a wild game and very different from the usual win con of "just upgrade all basic attacks and keep a small deck"

Oh but you have to actually like deckbuilders so that's a hard sell for some!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I bought Dawncaster on a whim with some googlebux after seeing it mentioned here, and it's surprisingly solid. Instead of strict class based cards, they're split into mana types (str, dex, int, divine).

There's a couple different types of meta progression. Every class (str, str/dex, dex, dex/int, int, int/str) has it's own permeant leveling that lets you swap out your core attacks and upgrades. On top of that, when you level up in a run you get to pick a Talent. As you do more story stuff, it adds more talents to the pool.

Besides that it's just weirdly well balanced. At least so far, very rarely do things seem unfair, just unlucky. Partially because as the difficulty ramps up, your power level ramps up similarly. It leans into it's video game nature a little more than some of the genre does and lets you get weird with it. There's events that will just shuffle the mana costs on your entire deck, so you can end up with 3 mana cost basic attacks and free absurd spells, you can imbue the "For the rest of combat, blah blah blah" enchantment cards to just be active permanently. And it leans into late game MtG stuff where there's just a ton of weird keywords that do interesting things. Every class SEEMS to have 3 primary ones?

The basic mage class leans into ice (frozen status makes them deal less damage, and most ice cards trigger special effects when the target already has a stack of frozen on them), fire (burning deals damage * number of stacks at the end of the turn, reduces stacks by 1) or lightning (chain, add 1 damage per stack to the next spell cast. disappears if you cast a spell without chain).

Rogue similarly has poison (1 damage per card played, remove a stack when it triggers), ambush (extra bonus when it's the first card played per turn which doesn't seem great but there's a BUNCH of cards that reset ambush) and Perform, which gives you a choice of like 5 or 6 different effects when you bard it up and stack enough Performs. You can easily get a free 2 mana from it, or you can save up and deal a shitload of damage.

Instead of trying to be weird or innovative with the genre (Loop Hero, Griftlands) it's just a well thought out and well polished example of the genre. If you bounced off or burned out on Slay The Spire and Night Of The Full Moon, it's probably not going to do much for you, but I've got jury duty this week and I am diggin' it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Arcanist seems far more powerful than the rest of the classes to me, chain is absolutely overpowered. I first turn killed the 666hp Demon on my second run ever, haven't come close to that with any others. All the other combos take longer to set up and need certain enchantments to work