Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hatty posted:

The SX is two GameCubes stacked and so its the best current console design

No handle. It's big enough to need it, too. The Series S is small enough to throw in a small bookbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Twerk from Home posted:

No handle. It's big enough to need it, too. The Series S is small enough to throw in a small bookbag.

yeah the S is an amazingly compact and elegant design

can't believe it came from microsoft

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

precision posted:

yeah the S is an amazingly compact and elegant design

can't believe it came from microsoft

Other than the OG Xbox and VCR Xbox One, Microsoft has a great track record with design. The Surface line are some of the nicest made laptops on the market.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked the zune too, that funky plastic face was really neat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

looks like the X is still the best value

It kinda depends. If you are comparing all possible options then the X is fantastic value (particularly if you try to spec up a gaming PC that would perform similarly). But for the same price you can get an S and about 3 years of Game Pass - which more and more will include game streaming options. If you really need to minimise your spend then the S is a strong choice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lifespan posted:

Other than the OG Xbox and VCR Xbox One, Microsoft has a great track record with design. The Surface line are some of the nicest made laptops on the market.

well there's also the original 360 which was actual literal garbage

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’d love to know the design process that resulted in the ps5 looking like it does

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

It kinda depends. If you are comparing all possible options then the X is fantastic value (particularly if you try to spec up a gaming PC that would perform similarly). But for the same price you can get an S and about 3 years of Game Pass - which more and more will include game streaming options. If you really need to minimise your spend then the S is a strong choice.

A true gamer would understand that saving money is a trap

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well there's also the original 360 which was actual literal garbage

The industrial design of the 360 was pretty cool and the rrod was more of a manufacturing defect than a design iirc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blue Raider posted:

I’d love to know the design process that resulted in the ps5 looking like it does

*snort*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder if either of the console makers will do water cooling, seems pretty dummyproof these days

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I was messing around a while back on a website that sells wraps for consoles and I discovered that if you turn the white parts of the ps5 black and the black part woodgrain it looks loving dope

Still big as a house and has no games though lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

Wonder if either of the console makers will do water cooling, seems pretty dummyproof these days

you’ll never ever see water cooling in consumer electronics. average customer is too stupid

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

that's a soyny problem. my PS4 would get hot enough to feel like it was going to burn me if it was on for 24 hours but my Xbox never gets more than comfortably warm even on the exhaust vent

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Xbox 360 degrees

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's called the xbox 360 because that's how many times you'll have to replace it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blue Raider posted:

i think similar to the series X they went big so the device doesnt need fast fans, but idk why it looks like a weird spaceship thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Larry Parrish posted:

that's a soyny problem. my PS4 would get hot enough to feel like it was going to burn me if it was on for 24 hours but my Xbox never gets more than comfortably warm even on the exhaust vent

pretty sure there were times when my ex and i literally had our PS4 on for one reason or another for months at a time and it never got hot or made noise

it's really fascinating how variable conosoles are in that way. i had one PS4 that had a super loud fan for no reason as well

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It might be Sony using different suppliers for the same part, I remember the og Xbox had 3 suppliers for the disk drive I think. And one of the suppliers’ drives poo poo out pretty regularly

The reason why some ps4s get hot and some don’t I mean. My ps4 slim gets warm but then I only ever use it for bloodborne so idk

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I actually take the series s to people’s houses. When halo came out played multiplayer that way

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
My father gave me the carrying case for his Bose speaker. It’s the perfect size to fit a Series X, with just enough room to squeeze my external HD in too. Makes it much easier to bring it places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

my favourite chinese food is panda express so i really wonder what yokohoma chinese food has wrong compared to chain chinese food.

Panda Express is what Chinese people homesick for Chinese food eat in America and its recommended to kids direct by study abroad programs.

Yokohama Chinatown is upsetting disappointment at tourist prices

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

hatty posted:

The SX is two GameCubes stacked and so its the best current console design

It’s good reuse of vintage resources because the Series S’s GPU is two GameCubes

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lifespan posted:

As a box, the VCR Xbone was the best moving-parts console I'd ever owned up until I got a Series X. Face and shape designed to disappear into a component stand, quiet as a mouse despite running every day for 6 years, every port you could ever want, several you don't but someone does...thing was good as hell.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The One X was very heavy and solid, I had the NBA special edition one that was speckled like an egg and I really like how it looked

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The One X is like a perfect console design. That thing was sleek as hell.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Literally if it just had a better cpu it would still be kicking rear end

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have a Taco Bell one x. I can’t bear to part with it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah the One X was dope. Very sturdy.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

As a box, the VCR Xbone was the best moving-parts console I'd ever owned up until I got a Series X. Face and shape designed to disappear into a component stand, quiet as a mouse despite running every day for 6 years, every port you could ever want, several you don't but someone does...thing was good as hell.

That was definitely the point of the design, so it's cool that some clicked with it. For me the plastics were just too cheap/flimsy and the design was WAY too bland. The One S and One X on the other hand took that simple esthetic and refined it to clean, compact, and solid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think the non-x One is the worst xbox from the design perspective. It looked dated and weird right from the getgo. The shiny and matte just didn’t look good together.

I liked the OG xbox though, but it might have been the relief that they didn’t have one that was actually in the shape of a big “X” that a lot of the mockups had.

I read a bit about their industrial design, the OG Xbox looked like it was swelling and about to explode but held together with the embossed X, and the 360 was like it was breathing in so the concave look to it. Pretty neat, a lot of thought goes in those for sure.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Always was interested in the 360 E, heard it was very well built and quiet

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hatty posted:

Always was interested in the 360 E, heard it was very well built and quiet

The main issue with it was that it was a step down from the 360 S in many ways. It had one less USB port and was also lacking the proprietary video out port from every other model. The only outputs were HDMI and a 3.5mm TRSS connector that would only do composite and L/R RCA audio, so you couldn't do things like component out, or optical out when a lot of wireless headphones required it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

American McGay posted:

The One X is like a perfect console design. That thing was sleek as hell.

Not true as the series X exists.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Series X is ugly it just happens to have the benefit of not being even 2% as ugly as the PS5.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Barudak posted:

Panda Express is what Chinese people homesick for Chinese food eat in America and its recommended to kids direct by study abroad programs.

Yokohama Chinatown is upsetting disappointment at tourist prices

The game actually does talk about this, how all of the Chinese people left Chinatown and it just became an overpriced tourist trap. I haven't really bothered to explore Yokohama but I have to assume there are places like Restaurant Row where you can get the good stuff, like how Ikebukuro is the 'real' Chinatown in Tokyo.

But yeah, Yokohama (and Kobe) Chinatown sucks and if you think it's like the New York one where you can eat like a king for cheap then you'll be taken for a ride. Everything is like PF Changs, overpriced Japanese-style Chinese food like mayonnaise shrimp and you'll never see an actual Chinese customer at the restaurants.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another issue for me is a lot of Chinese restaurants in Japan are run by people from a single chinese province, so you're not only getting a Japanified version, you're getting one provinces take on that. For a very easy example the best* my family's province restaurant in Tokyo the dish whose name is literally dry hot noodles was served wet because nobody in the northern provinces would eat noodles that way.

Ikebukuro is better but still suffers from this problem, but like, I can't be that choosy and I'll die of over consumption inside Hai Di Lao if you let me so am I truly fit to judge?

*Reviews provided by local people, I disagree a lot after going

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Barudak posted:

Another issue for me is a lot of Chinese restaurants in Japan are run by people from a single chinese province, so you're not only getting a Japanified version, you're getting one provinces take on that. For a very easy example the best* my family's province restaurant in Tokyo the dish whose name is literally dry hot noodles was served wet because nobody in the northern provinces would eat noodles that way.

Ikebukuro is better but still suffers from this problem, but like, I can't be that choosy and I'll die of over consumption inside Hai Di Lao if you let me so am I truly fit to judge?

*Reviews provided by local people, I disagree a lot after going

Alright but what's your thoughts on Minecraft dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DR AIDS posted:

Alright but what's your thoughts on Minecraft dungeons

Like all Diablo derived games it isn't fun for me but it seems like a nice halfway point between Diablo and the old Gauntlet Legends games, but for kids