Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Deploy them internally to defend against vehicle borne threats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you gotta think long-term, these are being bought for the police down the line

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol poo poo

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah it is unclear how this thing is supposed to work out. I don’t know how light tanks are suppose to work with US doctrine since these things are going to be too heavy to airdrop, too lightly armored for a peer conflict, and too much for low intensity.

(Any relatively modern ATGM can take it out, there is no way to properly armor it considering its size/weight.)

I think airdrops are not so popular doctrinally in the USA army and you can still fit two in a globemaster. Isn't the main defense against modern ATGMs reactive armour? And moving forward stuff like the Israeli trophy?

Anyway, they are probably buying these under pressure from the medical industry which stands to lose a lot of money from these new rifles with suppressors.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

speaking of airdrops i just remembered this video existed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJdw_s8qh4

lol at the guy going :yeshaha:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

4% casualties in peacetime training drops. When I was in the rehab clinic doing physio there were always airborne guys coming through with broken backs, my nurse practitioner was an airborne guy with a broken back, and so was one of the doctors.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

4% casualties in peacetime training drops. When I was in the rehab clinic doing physio there were always airborne guys coming through with broken backs, my nurse practitioner was an airborne guy with a broken back, and so was one of the doctors.

im pretty sure thats pretty low versus boots killed by their own car crashes and drugs

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They want to make their own nuclear submarines lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

even hitler can't make small floating gas chambers at 1/10th a billion per pop

these aussies can't even compete with malaysia in manufacturing, let alone china

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Palladium posted:

im pretty sure thats pretty low versus boots killed by their own car crashes and drugs

It is. They should have a Dodge Charger at 90% apr on the sacrifice medal.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cao Ni Ma posted:

nah, Australia is buying them from the US. we scuttled a deal with the french for them lmao

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Iirc the dingo dickers are planning on doing atleast some of the construction of the later subs.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

I think airdrops are not so popular doctrinally in the USA army and you can still fit two in a globemaster. Isn't the main defense against modern ATGMs reactive armour? And moving forward stuff like the Israeli trophy?

Anyway, they are probably buying these under pressure from the medical industry which stands to lose a lot of money from these new rifles with suppressors.

Even trophy has its issues, but yeah fitting 2 in a globe master is the useful part for this thing. However, let’s be honest a modern battlefield is going to have plenty that can take out a relatively thin skinned tank and this thing is high profile machine.

Also, don’t worry the medical industry will still have plenty of sound related issues to make money off of because that suppressor can be taken off and probably will.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jul 3, 2022

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

I feel like any battle space where it’s safe enough to fly this low and airdrop a humvee is safe enough to just drive it there.

But gotta waste money somehow.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Even trophy has its issues, but yeah fitting 2 in a globe master is the useful part for this thing. However, let’s be honest a modern battlefield is going to have plenty that can take out a relatively thin skinned tank and this thing is high profile machine.

Also, don’t worry the medical industry will still have plenty of sound related issues to make money off of because that suppressor can be taken off and probably will.

A modern battlefield has plenty of poo poo that can wreck an Abrams too. Like this sucks but it's one of America's best new bits of hardware, because it is ancient.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I feel like any battle space where it’s safe enough to fly this low and airdrop a humvee is safe enough to just drive it there.

But gotta waste money somehow.

Airplanes are a great deal faster than cars. They are also better at crossing water and terrain features.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

what’s the casualty rate on civilian drops

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

A modern battlefield has plenty of poo poo that can wreck an Abrams too. Like this sucks but it's one of America's best new bits of hardware, because it is ancient.

Remember this thing is still built on the Ajax chassis, and as others have said, even a stripped-down Abrams turret is only going to add weight (not to mention ammo). It is also least air-transportable, which is certainly an improvement, but yeah, if the issues that plagued the Ajax are still there then this thing will be a non-starter (btw the British army, had already signed the contract and ordered it before they realized it was liquifying their soldiers.)

As far as air drops, I was mentioning, just compared to VDV vehicles which are usually dual-role, in particular, the 2s25 Sprut SD which has a 125 mm gun.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

what’s the casualty rate on civilian drops

You know, I never thought to ask that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAvPEzvrbX8

I would guess maybe using old school round chutes and jumping with a ruck and full battle rattle, you’d hit the ground a lot harder.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/wenluomo/status/1538224239760723968

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

this is an everywhere thing now. from some automation to nearly completely automated.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

chatting with warehouses about it... basically anything existing will probably keep operating as long as they can staff. new warehouses more are more automated way less staff.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’d think transdocking and CFS near terminals will stay manual the longest.. places that do machinery OTs and FRs probably manual forever

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’d think transdocking and CFS near terminals will stay manual the longest.. places that do machinery OTs and FRs probably manual forever

manual transdocking? what’s that like?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

(btw the British army, had already signed the contract and ordered it before they realized it was liquifying their soldiers.)

is this normal or did someone in the MoD gently caress up and it's one of those gigs where no one ever gets blamed so the fuckups will continue?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lol good thing I have a lot of seniority in my union

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

is this normal or did someone in the MoD gently caress up and it's one of those gigs where no one ever gets blamed so the fuckups will continue?

I mean it is the UK, but it is unclear how they went through a contest and a contract was signed considering the shape the vehicle was in.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'd say squaddies getting their heads repeatedly slammed into bulkheads was cool and good but it'll only result in them voting tory harder

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'd say squaddies getting their heads repeatedly slammed into bulkheads was cool and good but it'll only result in them voting tory harder

that just means they weren’t slammed enough to prevent that

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

mawarannahr posted:

pretty amazing once the precum is flowing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Pro click

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

a lot of it is little lovely warehouses that flip from cans to trailers. docks little bit of storage and one or two forklift operators. they really only deal with already palletized cargos.

the CFS do the real stuff that takes some skill (machinery in cans OTs and on FRs) and or hard loving work (like hand stacking from reefer rail car to reefer containers)

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah pal those OTs and FRs!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

Yeah pal those OTs and FRs!

standard equipment abbreviations from an edi you’d find outputted on a baplie reader. or container reports from a terminal anywhere in the world

DH= dry high
FR= Flat rack
OT= open top
OH= open high
etc

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Games that go into overtime with fumble recoveries are often exciting, it's true

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

he's literally doing the :bisonyes:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

he was clearly going "ha ha" in between the "yes"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yellowcar posted:

he was clearly going "ha ha" in between the "yes"

yeah he's going full sicko mode, it's great

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
sounds like a winning strategy!

https://twitter.com/XYreturns/status/1536653501727744001?t=o3cM-UdWBq5FoNJkoDqDbQ&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when I used to listen to the Arms Control Wonk podcast the host hammered on this point over and over and over where it didn't matter how effective your Patriot or Iron Dome or Aegis Ashore or THAAD system was on an individual missile basis: if the unit cost of a single successful interception (however many missiles it takes) is higher than the unit cost of a single missile as launched by your opponent, then the ABM system doesn't work, because the opponent simply builds more missiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lol at the thought of the bloating us mic out mass producing chinese arms manufacturing for cheaper