Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arrath posted:

I got a Win11 laptop from Costco a while back and it's great, except for one thing. I like to put it to sleep instead of shutting diwn, but it doesn't want to go to sleep.

Like the screen will come back up on a hair trigger. Taking my hand off the mouse after clicking sleep is enough to wake it. Are there any settings I could tweak? A way to get a good old hibernate state?

Hibernate: https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/enable-hibernate-in-windows-10-11

But also, the thing that redeyes said. You will need to uncheck "allow this device to wake" on your bluetooth receiver, if you have a bluetooth wireless mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Isn't hibernate a bad idea in the SSD era?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

Isn't hibernate a bad idea in the SSD era?

Only if you have 128+ GB of ram and hibernate every 2 minutes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think windows only dumps memory that's actually being used, so even if you have a lot of RAM it won't necessarily write that much

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks guys I'll look into those.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
To expand on the above, that idea is based on SSD wearing out when you write data to them, as happens when you hibernate and save all ram memory to disk. But in fact your SSD has more write endurance than you will ever possibly consume even if you keep it for a decade. Even a cheap, bad, small SSD has 100TB of endurance. Better drives have many times more, and that's just the rated -- ie covered by warranty -- endurance. They will likely have several times higher in actual lifespan.

Many things you might have learned or heard about SSDs needing special attention or babying you can probably forget about, because that was all worries from the early days of SSDs that were unfounded (and mostly speculated about by DIYers who didn't really know). The one thing that holds up and you should pay attention to is: don't fill them all the way full.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Should 10% of the drive still be left off the partition table?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Should 10% of the drive still be left off the partition table?

Nah. Between TRIM, flexible pseudo-SLC caches, smarter controllers, and generally more space capacity, they definitely don't need 10%.

If you want to be extra-safe and prevent 100% full from ever being a possibility you could leave 5 or 20 GB free. I've done that when setting up a SSD for a friend because I noticed that he was a packrat who never deleted anything or uninstalled a game until out of space.

(And personally I often short-stroke a drive just because I am pleased by partitions with nice round numbers on the size label. But I also do that on HDDs where it has near-zero utility.)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I hadn't used Windows at home for more than a decade before buying a PC pretty much only to play games a couple of months ago, and have an assorted list of Windows 11 questions that may or may not be dumb:

1. Is there really no way to make the tray icons, keyboard layout selector and volume slider available on all taskbars instead of just the primary monitor one in Windows 11? All non-primary monitors just get the clock and nothing else.
  2. Is it possible to make the program icons in the taskbar show a notification indicator on/next to them like every other operating system, instead of stuffing this away in the tray/"Notification Center"?
  3. Can you tell Windows to connect to an already paired Bluetooth device somewhere? I haven't found a way to initiate this from the Windows side, so I've been removing and pairing again every time this was needed.
  4. My monitors keep turning off and on again and again while the system is locked, seemingly randomly. Why is that, and how do I stop it? I tried turning off the mouse outright so it's not that. I would just like the monitors to stay off while I'm not using it.
  5. Steam specific: is there a way to turn off all non-primary monitors and switch sound output target when toggling the Big Picture mode? I know you can change Steam's output target but it doesn't apply to games launched from it, and I'd only want this when using Big Picture (because I'm then playing on my TV, instead of on PC monitor with headphones).

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Keito posted:

1. Can you tell Windows to connect to an already paired Bluetooth device somewhere? I haven't found a way to initiate this from the Windows side, so I've been removing and pairing again every time this was needed.

You just turn the device on and it connects. At least my mouse does.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

MikusR posted:

You just turn the device on and it connects. At least my mouse does.

Bluetooth devices will initiate a connection to the last system you've used them with, yes, but I mean that I want to initiate the connection from the Windows side when it was last used somewhere else. For instance if I've used my Bluetooth headphones with my Android tablet, or my gamepad with my PlayStation console, and now want to connect them to the Windows machine again.

On macOS, Linux, iOS and Android I can just press connect on a device from Bluetooth settings/device lists but I am struggling to figure out how to do this on Windows 11.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Bluetooth devices will initiate a connection to the last system you've used them with, yes, but I mean that I want to initiate the connection from the Windows side when it was last used somewhere else. For instance if I've used my Bluetooth headphones with my Android tablet, or my gamepad with my PlayStation console, and now want to connect them to the Windows machine again.

On macOS, Linux, iOS and Android I can just press connect on a device from Bluetooth settings/device lists but I am struggling to figure out how to do this on Windows 11.

Right click the bluetooth icon in the taskbar, say 'show devices': you get the list of all devices in the control panel. Click one and tell it to connect.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Was this organic or are you cadging it from that chart of combination curses by frequency from reddit?

I’m conducting a survey :regd09::pipe:
I picked it up on some TV or streaming show, whose name I forgot. But it had a women that was cursing like a sailor, and it came up there. (It's kinda sad that binge watching leaves the wrong impressions.) --edit: Probably was on a rewatch of Dexter.

What chart from reddit?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 3, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Keito posted:

1. Is there really no way to make the tray icons, keyboard layout selector and volume slider available on all taskbars instead of just the primary monitor one in Windows 11? All non-primary monitors just get the clock and nothing else.

I also need the answer to this. It's a loving ridiculously arbitrary restriction that serves no purpose and constantly interferes with the way I want to use my machine (fullscreen game on main screen, everything else on side screen).

If you have something full screen and you use the windows key to bring up the taskbar, then right click something like the Bluetooth menu or Eartrumpet for additional options, it just decides "oh, you're done with the taskbar then" and immediately minimizes the whole loving thing and puts you right back to full screen mode. The only way to make it stop this behavior is to drag another window or program over on top of the full screen one, and then the taskbar works normally. :argh:

That is an infuriating and utterly idiotic workflow to have to do when you just want to change your sound output or volume slider real quick. There needs to be a way to put all the taskbar stuff on all screens, full stop

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Unsinkabear posted:

I also need the answer to this. It's a loving ridiculously arbitrary restriction that serves no purpose and constantly interferes with the way I want to use my machine (fullscreen game on main screen, everything else on side screen).

If you have something full screen and you use the windows key to bring up the taskbar, then right click something like the Bluetooth menu or Eartrumpet for additional options, it just decides "oh, you're done with the taskbar then" and immediately minimizes the whole loving thing and puts you right back to full screen mode. The only way to make it stop this behavior is to drag another window or program over on top of the full screen one, and then the taskbar works normally. :argh:

That is an infuriating and utterly idiotic workflow to have to do when you just want to change your sound output or volume slider real quick. There needs to be a way to put all the taskbar stuff on all screens, full stop

Would changing which monitor is the primary help at all? Then at least you'd have access to those controls while playing your game.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

Right click the bluetooth icon in the taskbar, say 'show devices': you get the list of all devices in the control panel. Click one and tell it to connect.

Pressing the device does nothing, and pressing the three dots only brings up an option to remove it, am I missing something?

hooah posted:

Would changing which monitor is the primary help at all? Then at least you'd have access to those controls while playing your game.

Setting my non-primary monitor as primary is what I'm doing at least, because if not I can't see notifications, change volume or see what keyboard layout I'm on while playing a game.

Most games don't seem to come with an option for what monitor to use, though, so they'll always open on the primary monitor and you have to move them around with Win+Shift+arrows. Pretty annoying to be honest.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Keito posted:

Pressing the device does nothing, and pressing the three dots only brings up an option to remove it, am I missing something?

Setting my non-primary monitor as primary is what I'm doing at least, because if not I can't see notifications, change volume or see what keyboard layout I'm on while playing a game.

Most games don't seem to come with an option for what monitor to use, though, so they'll always open on the primary monitor and you have to move them around with Win+Shift+arrows. Pretty annoying to be honest.

I got a “windowed borderless gaming” from Steam. I have no trouble running it (veeeery small footprint), and my screenshots don’t have the default Windows title bar in them via Share-X anymore. It allows you to set a vertical /horizontal offset (h = -1920 for me to move complete game window to monitor 2 on my left) but takes an extra step. It takes less an two seconds and works automatically on any game after setup the first time each game is run!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Oops, guess they've changed it since 10.

Uh, if you hit win+a, there should be bluetooth button in the "quick actions fly-out" and that should have a way to connect. At least, it does now. Evidentially this was something that MS flat-out omitted until build #22563; I guess they thought that bluetooth just always works now?

Keito posted:

Some games will always open on primary, others open on whichever screen the mouse was on when you start them, others have a setting -- generally in the video settings area, look for dropdowns that say something like [Video Card Model] #1 and [Video Card Model] #2.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

hooah posted:

It does help a bit, but it's basically trading one problem for another. As mentioned above, there are still a lot of games (and apps) that open on your primary by default without an option to change it, and some of the borderless/fullscreen ones get funky when forced to move over with win+shift+arrow. I don't want those opening on my vertical side screen if I can avoid it.

It's just absolutely baffling to me that there's no direct solution to make the taskbar work the same on all screens. It's been like this in various iterations for years, so there's no way they haven't heard this feedback. And even if they somehow haven't, it's still a basic and obvious QoL thing that literally took them extra labor to do the worse way

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In windows 10 your primary taskbar (the one with all the poo poo) doesn't need to be on your primary monitor. Unless that would happen to be one of the things they stripped out in 11 idk.

Oddly, the start menu stays on the primary monitor unless you disable the taskbars on all monitors setting. I have a start menu replacement software installed that does stick with the primary taskbar start button though.

All this definitely hasn't been thought through properly for a long time, I'll agree with that.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Combat Pretzel posted:

I picked it up on some TV or streaming show, whose name I forgot. But it had a women that was cursing like a sailor, and it came up there. (It's kinda sad that binge watching leaves the wrong impressions.) --edit: Probably was on a rewatch of Dexter.

What chart from reddit?

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 3, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's been a little while, and I intend this as an honest question, but what are the reasons I should consider updating my Windows 10 install to Windows 11?

Windows is pretty much only used for gaming on this machine, which is currently running a Ryzen 3600X and Nvidia 3080 12GB. I've poo poo-talked Windows 11 in this thread in the past, but I figure it's been out long enough to check in again. Are there more compelling reasons to "upgrade" from 10 than there used to be, or is it still relatively pointless?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's been a little while, and I intend this as an honest question, but what are the reasons I should consider updating my Windows 10 install to Windows 11?

Windows is pretty much only used for gaming on this machine, which is currently running a Ryzen 3600X and Nvidia 3080 12GB. I've poo poo-talked Windows 11 in this thread in the past, but I figure it's been out long enough to check in again. Are there more compelling reasons to "upgrade" from 10 than there used to be, or is it still relatively pointless?

Windows 11 offers no new features that offer any meaningful value. The native android application support is so dismal in its current state that it doesn’t feel like they have met their obligations. All the ui elements are functional downgrade. None of the built in apps are any upgrade over 10.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sickening posted:

Windows 11 offers no new features that offer any meaningful value. The native android application support is so dismal in its current state that it doesn’t feel like they have met their obligations. All the ui elements are functional downgrade. None of the built in apps are any upgrade over 10.

I already use KDE Connect so I get notifications from my phone and can reply to texts on my computer, as well as transfer files and such, so the Android support has always seemed kind of interesting but ultimately redundant for me.

My work laptop is on 10 and I cussedly turned on TPM and memory virtualization to have the hardware be mimicking the Windows 11 requirements even though I had no intention of installing 11 on it. Since then there have been several sternly-worded directives from work telling people not to install Windows 11, so I assume some people inadvertently updated their work machines and it caused problems.

So far it seems like there is nothing compelling about 11 like there was with 10, such as DirectX 12.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Short answer: Definitely upgrade

Long answer: Get used to the new version of the OS because that's your only option. If you're the type of person who spends more than a minute navigating a new menu layout and gets mad about it, hold off until Win 10 tells you it no longer gets support.

Linux answer: Linux is actually pretty good for gaming what with the steam deck coming out and everything. Are you busy? We need to talk about a lot of things.

Grandma IT support answer: She'll get used to 11 faster than you.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I’ll upgrade the day they let me turn off combine task bar buttons.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Windows 11 in it's current state is a trashfire compared to Windows 10 unless you REALLY want to touch your screen. All the things Sickening said apply. Besides all the UI downgrades, there are also administrative downgrades as well. It's harder to turn off ads. It's harder to turn off 'suggested content'. It's soon to be required that you *must* have a Microsoft Account (to what degree is TBD, maybe just install, but the winds are not blowing in a favorable direction).

Windows 11 is basically for people who buy from OEMs, people who don't know better, and people who are on the 'use newest thing cuz newest' train and have takes like

quote:

Get used to the new version of the OS because that's your only option.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So if I were to buy a new laptop that came with 11 installed is there a way to change it to 10?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Windows 11 in it's current state is a trashfire compared to Windows 10 unless you REALLY want to touch your screen. All the things Sickening said apply. Besides all the UI downgrades, there are also administrative downgrades as well. It's harder to turn off ads. It's harder to turn off 'suggested content'. It's soon to be required that you *must* have a Microsoft Account (to what degree is TBD, maybe just install, but the winds are not blowing in a favorable direction).

Windows 11 is basically for people who buy from OEMs, people who don't know better, and people who are on the 'use newest thing cuz newest' train and have takes like

Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I had.

Vic posted:

Long answer: Get used to the new version of the OS because that's your only option. If you're the type of person who spends more than a minute navigating a new menu layout and gets mad about it, hold off until Win 10 tells you it no longer gets support.

Linux answer: Linux is actually pretty good for gaming what with the steam deck coming out and everything. Are you busy? We need to talk about a lot of things.

I spend most of my time in Linux, and have run dual-boots for at least 20 years. :corsair: Having both Linux and Windows installed is normal for me, and it would feel weird not to do that. I've messed around with gaming in Linux and it is impressive now, but one sticking point is that my Steam library is huge and on an NTFS drive, which Steam on Linux doesn't like. If push came to shove I could go all Linux all the time, but having Windows as a game platform is how I've done things for years.

I'll suffer through Windows 11 when and if I have to, much like I did for Windows 8. Since I have until 2025 to worry about replacing my Windows 10 install I don't feel a lot of time pressure.

I am thinking of getting a laptop in the near future to replace my out-of-support Chromebook, and want another 2-in-1, so it is possible I'll end up spending time in Windows 11 depending on what I end up getting, but that would indeed be a touchscreen-oriented machine.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

So if I were to buy a new laptop that came with 11 installed is there a way to change it to 10?

Download the Windows 10 ISO. I don't know if you can use a W11 key for W10, but if you can't, you can get a key off of a local friendly goon for $15

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Win11 seems slightly more optimized, as in faster than 10. Prolly just decreasing the UI transition delay or something stupid, but it feels like a better 10.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vic posted:

:aloom: the passive aggressiveness is :bravo:

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Arrath posted:

I got a Win11 laptop from Costco a while back and it's great, except for one thing. I like to put it to sleep instead of shutting diwn, but it doesn't want to go to sleep.

Like the screen will come back up on a hair trigger. Taking my hand off the mouse after clicking sleep is enough to wake it. Are there any settings I could tweak? A way to get a good old hibernate state?

This behavior is what's called "Modern Standby" and according to Microsoft's documentation "(switching) the power model is not supported in Windows without a complete OS re-install". I first experienced this annoying behavior with a work loaner Dell laptop that would run hot in my backpack any time it was being carried between locations and figuring out that sleep wasn't the sleep we've long been used to.

As mentioned, the only way to truly get a Modern Standby system to enter a minimal power state is to hibernate it or shut it down.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What ads or suggested content are you seeing? I don't recall seeing any. But then, I almost never touch the Start Menu, so maybe that's where they're all hiding?

Also, 11's Settings menu is way more coherent and easy to navigate than 10's. There's still the problem of "classic Control Panel still exists", but that's equivocal since both 10 and 11 have that problem.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I spend most of my time in Linux, and have run dual-boots for at least 20 years. :corsair: Having both Linux and Windows installed is normal for me, and it would feel weird not to do that. I've messed around with gaming in Linux and it is impressive now, but one sticking point is that my Steam library is huge and on an NTFS drive, which Steam on Linux doesn't like. If push came to shove I could go all Linux all the time, but having Windows as a game platform is how I've done things for years.

I'll suffer through Windows 11 when and if I have to, much like I did for Windows 8. Since I have until 2025 to worry about replacing my Windows 10 install I don't feel a lot of time pressure.

I am thinking of getting a laptop in the near future to replace my out-of-support Chromebook, and want another 2-in-1, so it is possible I'll end up spending time in Windows 11 depending on what I end up getting, but that would indeed be a touchscreen-oriented machine.

I use Windows 11 on my main machine I use for work (virtual desktop works the same) and for games. It has new features for gaming like OS level HDR, it's faster, setting menus are organized better and it remembers screen settings as I plug different displays in. It took like a day until I got used to it. It's no W8 or Vista. To me it feels like a 10.1.

Sickening posted:

:aloom: the passive aggressiveness is :bravo:

I mean every single word.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I really want Proton to take off because windows needs to die as a gaming OS

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vic posted:

I use Windows 11 on my main machine I use for work (virtual desktop works the same) and for games. It has new features for gaming like OS level HDR, it's faster, setting menus are organized better and it remembers screen settings as I plug different displays in. It took like a day until I got used to it. It's no W8 or Vista. To me it feels like a 10.1.

I mean every single word.

HDR for monitors is rare and uneven at best, and in any case my monitor is only HDR400 so it's a non-starter for me in any case. Maybe in the next year or two reasonably-priced monitors will be released that handle HDR better, but right now they are few and far between.

From everything I have gathered Windows 11 is largely what resulted from Windows 10X going sideways and having to be salvaged somehow. On the whole Windows 11 looks like a regression, not an improvement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vic posted:

I really want Proton to take off because windows needs to die as a gaming OS

The moment game pass games and VR work, I'm switching.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There's no real reason to upgrade to 11.

e: I like the mem and storage footprint reductions, the minor settings menu overhauls, but it works the same.

Vic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DerekSmartymans posted:

I got a “windowed borderless gaming” from Steam. I have no trouble running it (veeeery small footprint), and my screenshots don’t have the default Windows title bar in them via Share-X anymore. It allows you to set a vertical /horizontal offset (h = -1920 for me to move complete game window to monitor 2 on my left) but takes an extra step. It takes less an two seconds and works automatically on any game after setup the first time each game is run!

Is it this one?

https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

The description makes it sound like it's a tool for turning exclusive fullscreen software into windowed ones, but you can make it move onto a different monitor by using offsets larger/smaller than the main display's resolution? If I understood you correctly. Can it set these positions for already windowed programs or do they need to be exclusive fullscreen?

Klyith posted:

Oops, guess they've changed it since 10.

Uh, if you hit win+a, there should be bluetooth button in the "quick actions fly-out" and that should have a way to connect. At least, it does now. Evidentially this was something that MS flat-out omitted until build #22563; I guess they thought that bluetooth just always works now?

Some games will always open on primary, others open on whichever screen the mouse was on when you start them, others have a setting -- generally in the video settings area, look for dropdowns that say something like [Video Card Model] #1 and [Video Card Model] #2.

In the Win+A menu I can only turn Bluetooth on/off so I guess this device list is not in yet. My winver says I'm on build 22000 so I guess this is either not released yet or on some other update track, I have no idea how Windows versioning works.

And yeah some games have video settings for what monitor to use, I configure it where possible. From my selection of games played so far it seems like a 50/50 chance of this being an option.