Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah it's a bug that's been around for a while, it's especially annoying in VR to be on the Anomaly with your periphery stained green or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah it's been like that forever, more people might have noticed though because the frost fringe from derelict freighter missions hangs around in the same way.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When my friend asked me what I was going to play with my new video card I joked, "No Man's Sky."

But drat this physically is like an entirely different game when you aren't playing everything on the lowest or second to lowest setting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rick posted:

When my friend asked me what I was going to play with my new video card I joked, "No Man's Sky."

But drat this physically is like an entirely different game when you aren't playing everything on the lowest or second to lowest setting.

lol I’ve been playing it on the steam deck and it runs pretty drat good but yeah it looks worlds better on my main pc

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Nms was a core reason for me to build a new gaming rig. One of their updates back in 2018 stopped supporting the gpu in my old machine. It was quite old and inevitable, but normally a game doesnt stop supporting hardware just a few years after release.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Looking for some games for me and my wife to play together, and was looking at this, but she is more into base building than exploration. Like can I give her materials or wtvr to build stuff and she can do that? Is there enough there in that aspect of the game to keep someone interested?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah there is a shitload of basebuilding stuff

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goddamn, what a shot.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1542631151617064963?t=P37G3D_e36VpQLZipBbEAg&s=19

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Rakeris posted:

Looking for some games for me and my wife to play together, and was looking at this, but she is more into base building than exploration. Like can I give her materials or wtvr to build stuff and she can do that? Is there enough there in that aspect of the game to keep someone interested?

Land bases, underwater bases, freighter ship bases, lots of options.

There's also a bunch of exploration vehicles for zipping around in.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Cool, thanks y'all! Definitely going to give it a go.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rakeris posted:

There are also a bunch of rare decorative parts called "Glitches" that can only be found on specific planets if you want specific goals apart from "give her a bunch of resources". There's also buried technology modules which you use to unlock the normal base building bits on the Anomaly, though she'd need to have a functioning spacecraft to visit it.

EDIT: I like Glitches so much I built a museum to house them. Two, actually, but the other one was mostly a gigantic tower that I needed to fill space in. This one is more accessible.

My favourite are the Glitching Separators, which look like they're about to insist I continue with the Human Instrumentality Project

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 1, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I started this game and am 5-6 hours in. I found a busted rear end spaceship and added it to my collection while running my starter one out of thruster fuel or whatever so now I can't summon it. How the heck do I get it back?

I'm right around the point where the giant death star appears out of thin air but there's nice people inside instead. So far I'm not super engaged with the story or the crafting/building. Does it get better (I assume so if I farm for more upgrades and stuff but so far I'm just sticking to the main quest for the most part) or is it more of the same? Seems this game is more "what you make of it" but I still don't have a good feel for it really. Might not be for me but still trying to figure that out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There are also a bunch of rare decorative parts called "Glitches" that can only be found on specific planets if you want specific goals apart from "give her a bunch of resources". There's also buried technology modules which you use to unlock the normal base building bits on the Anomaly, though she'd need to have a functioning spacecraft to visit it.

EDIT: I like Glitches so much I built a museum to house them. Two, actually, but the other one was mostly a gigantic tower that I needed to fill space in. This one is more accessible.

My favourite are the Glitching Separators, which look like they're about to insist I continue with the Human Instrumentality Project

I made a museum room for glitches in my freighter. Love all that stuff.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Suburban Dad posted:

I started this game and am 5-6 hours in. I found a busted rear end spaceship and added it to my collection while running my starter one out of thruster fuel or whatever so now I can't summon it. How the heck do I get it back?

I'm right around the point where the giant death star appears out of thin air but there's nice people inside instead. So far I'm not super engaged with the story or the crafting/building. Does it get better (I assume so if I farm for more upgrades and stuff but so far I'm just sticking to the main quest for the most part) or is it more of the same? Seems this game is more "what you make of it" but I still don't have a good feel for it really. Might not be for me but still trying to figure that out.

It is mostly what you make of it. I build bases, collect ships, search for awesome freighters (when i didnt have one), build farms for different things, explore weird planets, collect robo pets.

If you go to your summon vehicle tab there will be another option to summon different ships you own. Also, itll be on your frieghter if you own one.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

You can also swap ships when you're in the Anomaly (The Death Star looking thing) even if your fuel is out, or the equipment is broken.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a good way to get Salvaged Frigate Modules any more? They stopped being so frequent to find in random freighter fleets. I really need to get a bunch to upgrade my freighter tech.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Savage Bliss posted:

Is there a good way to get Salvaged Frigate Modules any more? They stopped being so frequent to find in random freighter fleets. I really need to get a bunch to upgrade my freighter tech.

I think you can get a bunch from frigate expeditions.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I seem to recall seeing a couple in outlaw system quest rewards, I suspect that might be the new "fastest grind" location but those things are one of the things I don't ever feel bad about duping in the anomaly after having done it the "right way" originally

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
They are also rewarded when you save a fleet from pirates. Land on the frigate ans talk to the captain

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ZombieCrew posted:

They are also rewarded when you save a fleet from pirates. Land on the frigate ans talk to the captain

That's just cargo bulkheads. Still useful, but not "can actually go into colored sun systems" useful.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

That is one of those items worth abusing the duplication glitch, because the in game method is FAR too grindy. Just duplicate enough for the basics and grind the rest for a semi authentic experience.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CaptainSkinny posted:

That is one of those items worth abusing the duplication glitch, because the in game method is FAR too grindy. Just duplicate enough for the basics and grind the rest for a semi authentic experience.

What is this duplication glitch you speak of? I must know...

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Vasler posted:

What is this duplication glitch you speak of? I must know...

Check out Professor Cynical on YouTube for No Man's Sky glitches. He's on the more high energy side, but the content is sound. He's got few different methods on display.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks all. The duplication glitch is something I didn't even know about and probably won't use except for things like this. Seriously, these things are hard to come by now.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

There’s mods that make things like that craftable too, so that’s an option if you want to “earn” it by collecting a bunch of other resources.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just started again after many years away and my second planet was exactly like this. Weather [REDACTED], Sentinels: Absent. Nothing but fields of copper, gold, and silver deposits, and gigantic metal balls whose diet consists of “Lost Travelers.” I decided to put my first base there.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As proud as I was of myself to find a planet that only rendered in Black, White & Red, and name my base 'Kurosawa Station', it can be annoying not having any colour ever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If I ever find a planet that's filled with hostile bug creatures, i'mma rename it to LV-426, and give every being, plant, and mineral a name based on being owned by Weylan-Yutani corp.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If I ever find a planet that's filled with hostile bug creatures, i'mma rename it to LV-426, and give every being, plant, and mineral a name based on being owned by Weylan-Yutani corp.

Find a small weasel-like critter that runs like a coward, and name it Burke.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Find a small weasel-like critter that runs like a coward, and name it Burke.

:golfclap:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress yeah! My sister in law lent me and my wife her Oculus Quest 2. NMS VR baby!! Can't wait!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

NMS VR is fun.

I just can't play it anymore after getting a HOTAS and playing other flying games - Good god if they added that support I would explode

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How buggy is this game? I don't know if this is just me but after about 8 hours I've gotten about 3-4 crashes to desktop. It's real frustrating to lose progress (is there any other way to save besides jumping out of your ship?).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think I've had one crash to desktop since launch, so I wouldn't say that's to be expected. The bugs I usually run into are more getting stuck in the environment or items disappearing from smelters I haven't visited recently.

You can build a save point that you can drop almost anywhere then pick up to reuse, but I typically do just rely on the disembark autosave to the degree that I'll hop into my ship to take off, hop out to trigger a save, then back in and actually leave.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Suburban Dad posted:

How buggy is this game? I don't know if this is just me but after about 8 hours I've gotten about 3-4 crashes to desktop. It's real frustrating to lose progress (is there any other way to save besides jumping out of your ship?).

Craft and carry a save beacon.

Does the game auto save?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Craft and carry a save beacon.

Does the game auto save?

When you get in and out of your ship but that's it.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
If you're having problems with stability try turning off multiplayer. For whatever reason playing in single player was a hell of a lot more stable than having multiplayer on for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Suburban Dad posted:

They're not uncommon (inevitably they seemingly directly seek your rear end when you lose track of time, build a bunch of base without saving, and then Something Happens) but 3-4 in one 8 hour window is More Than I Usually See, yeah

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

If I don't remove the overclock on my GPU it crashes like a motherfucker for me. Once I take my OC off it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've played it single player only so far. My GPU is a 3080 under volted so maybe that has something to do with it, but this hasn't happened with any other game. The last crash made me rage uninstall though so I may never test this. :v: