Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is trump anything special this time around? He opened the door, but now there are so many like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is trump anything special this time around? He opened the door, but now there are so many like him.

Yes, but not as much so as before. He's probably the most recognized name in American political history at this point. But yes, there are a lot of others much like him that have arisen in the last 4 years or so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How would announcing shield him? Is there some rule about the DOJ not touching a candidate less 28 months before an election?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

How would announcing shield him? Is there some rule about the DOJ not touching a candidate less 28 months before an election?

It looks bad decorumly to charge a presidential candidate from a rival party

Obviously, in a sane world that wouldn't apply to actual criminals who have committed crimes, but it seems pretty apparent that Garland is pretty averse to charging him at all, let alone while he's actively campaigning

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

haveblue posted:

It would shield him in other ways. There seems to be a real effect from these hearing on people. That would let him frame the hearings as a political attack on an actively running candidate.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It would shield him in other ways. There seems to be a real effect from these hearing on people. That would let him frame the hearings as a political attack on an actively running candidate.

No one but people already voting for him would take that seriously.

Dems should focus on getting the 50% of eligible voters who don't vote to actually vote rather than worry about looking good to Republicans.

You guys buy into Democratic excuses too much. No one has to care what the GOP or the right wing media says. They don't appeal to anyone not already on their side.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yes this means that they are worried about those people.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Noam Chomsky posted:

Dems should focus on getting the 50% of eligible voters who don't vote to actually vote rather than worry about looking good to Republicans.

You guys buy into Democratic excuses too much. No one has to care what the GOP or the right wing media says. They don't appeal to anyone not already on their side.

This isn't just dems, it's republicans trying to wrest control of their party back, too.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This isn't just dems, it's republicans trying to wrest control of their party back, too.

Back from whom? Themselves?

Trump is the perfect GOP candidate. The idea that the GOP was ever a serious party just concerned about being fiscally responsible is a complete myth. There's nothing to go back to. This is it. What you are seeing now is what they have worked toward for sixty years.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes this means that they are worried about those people.

I'm aware.

They shouldn't be. They are because both parties ate conservative and want conservative votes and the votes of marginalized people and their allies who have nowhere else to turn.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Back from whom? Themselves?

Trump is the perfect GOP candidate. The idea that the GOP was ever a serious party just concerned about being fiscally responsible is a complete myth. There's nothing to go back to. This is it. What you are seeing now is what they have worked toward for sixty years.

From the anti-democratic trump wing of the party. Cheney mentioning running in 2024 is interesting in that light since it would both split republican vote while also not requiring the dems to go after right-leaning independents and moderate Rs.

idk the absolute magnitude of it, but currently it appears to be at least ~10% of republicans and a much larger amount of conservative leaning independents are opposed to everything that went into 1/6. That's not a huge number of people but Rs have a brutal path to victory without them.

Cheney's messaging is pretty squarely intended for conservatives and people who identify as conservative.

btw on that note

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1542948639903023104?s=20&t=QN4772wZ7pkFRkCLFWKMSg

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 4, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm aware.

They shouldn't be. They are because both parties ate conservative and want conservative votes and the votes of marginalized people and their allies who have nowhere else to turn.

Fascists and conservatives are different things.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Noam Chomsky posted:

The GOP has passed a host of laws aimed at suppressing minority votes in the hopes that this will result in fewer votes for Democrats.

Has the Democratic Party made any type of concerted effort to help people without a government issued photo ID to gather the necessary documents to qualify for an ID and then help them register to vote?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Unless Cheney plans on running as a well-funded independent with ballot access, then she is not going to matter.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rigel posted:

Unless Cheney plans on running as a well-funded independent with ballot access, then she is not going to matter.

Yeah she isn’t going to matter to the election. What matters is that some Rs will just not vote.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah she isn’t going to matter to the election. What matters is that some Rs will just not vote.

Well, maybe. I am skeptical, but maybe it could help as just yet another reminder that they could just leave the top of the ballot blank like what many Republicans did in the rust belt states that Trump lost but other Republicans won.

I think more than likely Trump will just lose the primary, get chased around by the DOJ, and the Never Trumpers will then happily vote for Deathsantis or whoever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rigel posted:

I don't think she capital M Matters to 2024 as a candidate, but yes there would be money for that and it's trivial to get someone ballot access.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Conservatives created the environment for fascism to flourish.

I also suggest you go do some research into the conservative organizations that go way back to desegregation and even the civil war.

I also suggest you look into the times Democrats have aided and abetted conservative and fascist policy.

It seems like your political awareness kicked on when Trump was elected.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

I don't think she capital M Matters to 2024 as a candidate, but yes there would be money for that and it's trivial to get someone ballot access.

If Trump runs he'll sweep the primary. Of course people aren't going to come out and say they back hom right now.

What is it you think Republicans want and what is it you think they didn't get from Trump?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
You could post whatever you think is relevant and save us the time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Noam Chomsky posted:

If Trump runs he'll sweep the primary. Of course people aren't going to come out and say they back hom right now.

What is it you think Republicans want and what is it you think they didn't get from Trump?

He has the awful stench of the loser stuck onto him now. Primary voters are going to want to win the election. What Trump is for or against doesn't matter, Republicans aren't shy about abandoning their losers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Conservatives created the environment for fascism to flourish.

I also suggest you go do some research into the conservative organizations that go way back to desegregation and even the civil war.

I also suggest you look into the times Democrats have aided and abetted conservative and fascist policy.

It seems like your political awareness kicked on when Trump was elected.

I am aware of all of that.

But fascists and conservatives are different things. Fascists are revolutionary romantics. Conservatives are attempting to preserve old social orders and myths of origin.

They’re both bad, they’re both reactions to capitalism and modernity. But one is totalizing and revolutionary which is much much worse and more dangerous than the other.

And lol no you’ll find I’ve not really ever changed topic since I started posting in D&D (this after all just more Tillich)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rigel posted:

He has the awful stench of the loser stuck onto him now. Primary voters are going to want to win the election. What Trump is for or against doesn't matter, Republicans aren't shy about abandoning their losers.

Considering how mainstream the stolen election thing is on Turrp, I would rethink that.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

You could post whatever you think is relevant and save us the time.

Nah, I'm good. This forum is a waste of time as usual.

Trump got more votes in 2020 than in 2016 and you're still somehow arguing that he wouldn't sweep a primary. Nobody is going to care about the 1/6 stuff by the time the primaries roll around, especially with all the other insanity happening.

Some posters just need very much to believe conservatives are to be taken seriously and aren't fascists and fascist enablers and are proven wrong time and again. It's maximum cope.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Okay then. I hope you feel better and please don't hurt yourself over D&D or anything else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Noam Chomsky posted:

Some posters just need very much to believe conservatives are to be taken seriously and aren't fascists and fascist enablers and are proven wrong time and again. It's maximum cope.

I have faith in their desire to win elections. Their graceful attempt to transition to a Trumpy successor will become harsh and blunt if Trump is still in the race closer to the primaries. The entire Republican apparatus will have no mercy whatsoever in condemning him as a loser who failed to defeat a very weak Biden if they have to.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The real question with Trump honestly is if the party is going to try to limit the field. I think if it's JUST Trump vs DeSantis, Trump will probably lose. If its a clown car again, Trump will win.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rigel posted:

I have faith in their desire to win elections. Their graceful attempt to transition to a Trumpy successor will become harsh and blunt if Trump is still in the race closer to the primaries. The entire Republican apparatus will have no mercy whatsoever in condemning him as a loser who failed to defeat a very weak Biden if they have to.

Or, more likely, they'll go all in on 2020 being stolen by then.

Trump isn't to be counted out.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

StratGoatCom posted:

Or, more likely, they'll go all in on 2020 being stolen by then.

Trump isn't to be counted out.

They have to give lip service to there being "serious questions about the integrity of the elections", but if it comes down to it, Trump was just not up to the task of preventing the Democrats from stealing the election even while he had the power of the presidency. Someone else is needed who is smart enough and strong enough to prevent the Democrats from stealing another election.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Oh they should be. But the fascists are worse. Conservative:Fascist as The Brooks Brothers riot:January 6

One is a attempt at a goddamned armed revolution.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oh they should be. But the fascists are worse. Conservative:Fascist as The Brooks Brothers riot:January 6

no, one was a successful coup and one was a bungled coup

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rigel posted:

Does he really though?
The guy could poo poo himself on live television while screaming "Look at me, I am making GBS threads myself on television!" and RedMAGA chuds would convince themselves that Biden managed to place his own poo poo in Trump's pants with Hillary's help.

They're convinced that he solved immigration and was draining the swamp and solving our international concerns and was only stopped by RINOs out to get him for winning too bigly.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Frogs and tadpoles are different things.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

An armed revolution? None of the people at 1/6 had guns?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Not following the hearing apparently eh?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

some plague rats posted:

An armed revolution? None of the people at 1/6 had guns?

It turns out that there were a bunch of arms, both guns and otherwise and considerable evidence of that was in the hearings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean everyone's known that, they were walking around with the guns in front of all the cameras, and that's not counting the cops who let them in.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

It turns out that there were a bunch of arms, both guns and otherwise and considerable evidence of that was in the hearings.

Can you link to this , thanks

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Can you link to this , thanks

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/28/trump-jan-6-rally-guns-capitol-attack

And Trump knew when was encouraging them. lol I remember getting so much poo poo here for pointing out Mr. Zipties.

“Trump said: “I don’t loving care that they have weapons, they’re not here to hurt me. They’re not here to hurt me. Take the loving mags away. Let my people in. They can march to the Capitol from here, let the people in and take the mags away.””

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Even if she didn't have a significant impact on Trump's numbers it would drive him absolutely up the wall that she's in the race. And they might as well have WWE host the debates.

Not sure why you’re assuming Cheney runs as a Republican.