Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Florida (and Texas (and a number of other states but especially FL and TX)) basically represent everything GDQ pushes back on.

I would genuinely be more concerned about the event being targeted for domestic terrorism in those locations than I would be of Covid spread. Some chud will hear the crowd shout Trans Rights and just go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Very sad Pokemon did not get approved for Pfizer vaccines before GDQ rip

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cernunnos posted:

I would genuinely be more concerned about the event being targeted for domestic terrorism in those locations than I would be of Covid spread. Some chud will hear the crowd shout Trans Rights and just go off.

i hate how true this is

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Come on out west to California! Where the winters are mild and it doesn't snow or even rain. Ever.

As a bonus we generally aren't on fire in January.

How expensive are the accommodations in Orlando compared to say San Diego?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

what did I just watch :psyduck:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hello, friends! I hope you've enjoyed the thread. I haven't had the time to!

I started my summer job on Monday this week, so the grand total of runs that fell in the intersection of things I wanted to watch and was actually able to watch, if I count generously, was 11½ (had to bow out of Kaizo Super Metroid halfway through to sleep). At least I'll have a long post-marathon catchup list. Haven't had great GDQ timing this year—AGDQ 2022 fell during one of the two most intense work weeks of the year at my regular job.

But on the note of post-marathon cathup lists!

Working of course also means I won't have a big amount of time to sift through recommendations, so here's what I'm going to do. Any list of recommendations that gets posted after this post (because I absolutely do not have the time to go through the thread for them), and before the end of next week, I will put into the second post of the thread, completely unedited. I will then try to find some time to present it in a more elegant fashion. So that, at the very least, there's something.

Also in the end I could just not resist and had to order the The Ninja Warriors Again shirt from The Yetee even if the shipping + taxes get dumb these days. It just spoke to me too much.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My fat rear end made the finale video twice. This is a good rear end night.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

It's probably gonna be a long time before they top AGDQ2022. It was just an absurd amount

There was so much hope at the start of the year

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Cernunnos posted:

I know they usually do AGDQ in Florida but I kinda hope they really don't this year.

I say this as someone in and from Florida: "THIS PLACE loving SUCKS"

There’s only been one in FL, the first ten were in the DC area (and the last two had no venue of course).

Unless they signed a multi year deal with some venue in FL I can’t imagine they will have it there again. It might drastically alter who feels safe to attend at this point

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

emdash posted:

There’s only been one in FL, the first ten were in the DC area (and the last two had no venue of course).

Unless they signed a multi year deal with some venue in FL I can’t imagine they will have it there again. It might drastically alter who feels safe to attend at this point

They've indicated in the past during panels that they usually get multi year contracts for venues.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say the entire rhythm block was a bit lengthy for me, but it's definitely worth watching bits of it at least.
Perspective is one of those indie games (actually a title by DigiPen students) that I never heard about and you wonder why, because it was almost mind-blowing. It went too fast for your skull to explode.
The Super Castlevania IV and Link's Awakening races were fun to watch, especially because they were rather close.
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast didn't get as insanely crazy with the trickery as the first Jedi Knight game tends to get, but it still had some amazing stuff and great commentary (remember the reason why it was in French?).
Super Mario World: kaizo relay race was great. Exciting stuff.
The run for Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance was remote and just had the runner doing commentary, but think it was excellent. Might be because SGDQ this year finally inspired me to get around to finishing Symphony of the Night for the first time, and I noticed a lot of references that were lost to me when I played HoD back in the day (even more so than the other Metroidvania titles in the series).
Macbat 64: Journey of a Nice Chap is the hidden gem of this SGDQ.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Like a decade ago when I lived in Japan I taught English to the guy who composed the Daytona USA soundtrack. He's really goofy and speaks decent English.

He is a passionate singer too, even when his English pronunciation was a bit weaker. The game version used an American vocalist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBFZ-AeKy0&t=25s

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 3, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

does anyone know which marathon is the only one to pass 3 million from just regular, actual viewer donations, and not the cheat-y “here’s everyone who liked and subscribed on twitch, this counts as last-minute donations as well” thing they’ve been pulling lately

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
kaizo super metroid was incredibly precise gameplay by one of the most technically precise players of sm currently. Very enjoyable

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I fell asleep during elden ring but im glad they hit the 3 mil even tho they had to stall lol

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm three minutes in and this Kaizo Super Metroid is already insane.

I wonder if that one poster from earlier who thought it'd be boring is still around.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As an old East coaster, I had to finally tap out after the Elden ring run. Honestly, I don’t care if they had to stall to get the zip ER run. More money = good with these things.

I just know I’m going to feel like poo poo today because my body won’t let me sleep last 7am anymore, so I’m running on maybe 4 hours of sleep. :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Like others have said maybe one thing I don't necessarily like with the current GDQ is the heavy pushing of incentives - which have their goals pushed insanely high. A few runs last and this event have been soured pretty much by the host constantly going "please please donate". I think last time Coolmatty did touch on this on r/speedrun and basically said it's not the hosts' fault but management's bad call on push it too much. But on this event the same thing happened again and the limits were so high they actually had to stall and re-arrange runs.

So yeah I dunno if people who actually decide on these things read this or if they reflect on it the same way, but this is one thing that requires a very delicate balancing and I feel like a few times it's gone overboard.

e: looks like I was retroactively ninja'd

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/vq8u1q/does_anyone_happen_to_know_why_gdq_is_hosting_the/ieoep15/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Like others have said maybe one thing I don't necessarily like with the current GDQ is the heavy pushing of incentives - which have their goals pushed insanely high. A few runs last and this event have been soured pretty much by the host constantly going "please please donate". I think last time Coolmatty did touch on this on r/speedrun and basically said it's not the hosts' fault but management's bad call on push it too much. But on this event the same thing happened again and the limits were so high they actually had to stall and re-arrange runs.

So yeah I dunno if people who actually decide on these things read this or if they reflect on it the same way, but this is one thing that requires a very delicate balancing and I feel like a few times it's gone overboard.

e: looks like I was retroactively ninja'd

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/vq8u1q/does_anyone_happen_to_know_why_gdq_is_hosting_the/ieoep15/

I definitely understand the sentiment. I understand that at its core GDQ is there to raise money for their chosen charity, and they have raised a ton of it. I also can understand that people might feel burnt out at hearing "donate donate donate" all the time, especially when it is something silly like "just a bit more to go, donate to fill in that last $30,000" at almost every run. I do hope they reflect on how best to push for incentives and how to price them. I didn't get to watch a ton of GDQ this time around and will be watching VODs, but the schedule creep sounded pretty wild this year. This isn't to say I am boycotting GDQ, but it is good for them to reflect to see what went poorly and what could be done better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

had to zonk out before the elden ring run finished but i'm glad the zip incentive got hit. it's a really hilarious run for first time viewers

glad to have had the crowd energy back for this marathon; maybe not quite as many insanely memorable runs as some of the past GDQs, but definitely still some standouts like vice city and happy humble's that are well worth a rewatch

also glad to hear they're addressing this directly. i'm maybe less bothered by it in general than others, but the risk of hype burnout for big incentives is definitely real, and it's best to nip it in the bud even though it still mostly worked this marathon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I would love for them to readjust the bonus runs incentives to be more manageable but they do have to keep at least one very large milestone achievement imo, as something to work for thru out the week. I think 3 mil is the right spot but i also think they have to be willing to let go if they dont make it. The ending stall is kind of silly

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I've got lots of thoughts and opinions but really it comes down to watching how long they stalled for time with nothing but crowd camera really makes me rethink the mornings I've spent scrambling to fill time at my events when it's 3am and the next runner isn't awake yet.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

someone earlier in the thread mentioned making all bonus games tied to milestones, which could work. alternatively, just make all donations sent after a bonus game opens up count towards it as well as whatever incentive/bid war the donator selects. either of those would be good solutions, as missing regular incentives also sucks, and a fair amount of donations are made without selecting any incentive at all, like the 5k that mentioned it was for fnaf but the donator did not actually choose that.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Recommendations time.

Shadow of the Colossus: good runner energy, creative way to do a category that's been shown off a couple times already
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: carby
Bulk Slash: I'm biased because I love this game and love Saturn rep, but it's a solid third person shooty robot game and best girl won the donation incentive
Blaster Master: Close as heck race between two GDQ runners who have been around for a long time
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Another close race
Earnest Evans: Good jank if you haven't seen it before
Mega Man block: From Gunvolt Chronicles to Mega Man 5, probably the best MM block due to how varied every game is
Knuckles' Chaotix: Glad to finally see this one at a GDQ as it kind of gets buried among the other OG 2D Sonic games
Pokémon Emerald Randomizer: Watch this Pokemon run if you want to watch one from the event, it's hilarious and good energy
DEEEER Simulator, Mi Scusi, Incredible Crisis: Just picking these three out of Silly Block as the best ones from the bunch. The entire block is probably good minus Turnip Boy which should've been outside of the block
Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon: An unexpectedly fun puzzle game I didn't know existed
Chocobo GP: Yet another close as heck race
Donkey Kong Country: Because Reverse Boss Order is magical
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World: Amazing to see ACE done by human hands and also the best showmanship of a backup cart ever

This is just from what I was able to catch live, I've heard the Mario relays were good to watch as was Kaizo Super Metroid for the amazing levels of skill on display

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is the playlist that ran between games available anywhere?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished watching the OoT Beta showcase.

Just ... what.

The ending had me just looking at the screen in awe. Definitely watch that one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

Is the playlist that ran between games available anywhere?
They're all available from the Optical Character Recognition Electronic Mixer Organization, but I don't believe there's a specific playlist?

I've asked for it before, and never seen any, at least.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

alternatively, just make all donations sent after a bonus game opens up count towards it as well as whatever incentive/bid war the donator selects.

Oh actually I like this one more. Milestones can seem almost too big in a way, it's just so much money. But yeah, they even have a system in place for it since "all donations over X" can win prizes, so it should be easy to track.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
No matter what you are into, please please PLEASE go watch the Super Mario World Kaizo race and the TASBot Ocarina of Time Beta run if you missed either. Both were jaw dropping amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
fell asleep during elden ring last night, catching up on vod I'm glad they managed to hit $3mil, even if it took a lot of stalling. but i have to agree with everyone that incentives were priced too high this go around and there was a lot of stalling and, well, begging to hit them and really dragged things down.

a couple posts up the page mention that a lot of donos didn't even get put towards incentives, and i wonder why the system just doesn't add those donations towards the closest not-yet-met incentive if none are chosen by the donator

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

site posted:

fell asleep during elden ring last night, catching up on vod I'm glad they managed to hit $3mil, even if it took a lot of stalling. but i have to agree with everyone that incentives were priced too high this go around and there was a lot of stalling and, well, begging to hit them and really dragged things down.

a couple posts up the page mention that a lot of donos didn't even get put towards incentives, and i wonder why the system just doesn't add those donations towards the closest not-yet-met incentive if none are chosen by the donator

Because you can get more donations the other way and raise more money for the charity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, there's no reason the hosts would need to stop promoting incentives but also i think we just saw the limitations of that thinking

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wonder if part of the problem is that now just happens to be a really hosed time financially for a lot of people. It feels like they were aiming to match AGDQ this year and the last couple pre-covid, but almost everyone I know is cutting back because cost of living is shooting up and doesn't seem likely to stop in the very near future.

As for recommendations, I didn't catch as much as I'd wanted to live, but I'm going to throw one in for Doom Eternal just because the gameplay execution is absolutely incredible.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

I wonder if part of the problem is that now just happens to be a really hosed time financially for a lot of people.

this was my thinking, too. you probably set the incentive amounts to be optimistic because it's the first live show back since 2019, but then the fact that we're entering a recession becomes clear as day a week or two before the show and really throws your estimates for a loop

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gonna throw Yakuza LAD and Halo Infinite on the game recommendation pile once more to make sure it's after the request post :)

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I only watched a fraction of the event, but my highlights were the Mario races (They really need to do more races. They're the most fun to watch.), Stepmania, and mekarazium's speech ("There will be more godless nights"...).

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I wonder if that guy's okay. He went super dark there.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

From what I managed to watch:

Chill runs where the runner was really good at the game and the commentators/runner were on point.

Crash 2
Devil May Cry
Little Mermaid
Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden
Megaman Block
Knuckles Chaotix
MGS2
Majuu Ou
Kings Quest V
FFX
Wind Waker

Metroid Dread/Kaizo Super Metroid - The execution was really good and the commentary was good, but as mentioned a few posts back, the constant pushing for incentives kind of soured me on them.

FF6 Randomizer - This was fun to watch but if you don't know much about FF6 you're probably just gonna be like "What the hell is this"

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kudos to whoever had the names subtly light up when someone was speaking. (UA I assume) Not sure if it was just intended to help differentiate because everyone was masked, but I hope it sticks around. Usually the couch folks are so small on the screen that you can't tell who's talking even without masks.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

moosferatu posted:

I only watched a fraction of the event, but my highlights were the Mario races (They really need to do more races. They're the most fun to watch.), Stepmania, and mekarazium's speech ("There will be more godless nights"...).

Wait what was this speech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait what was this speech?

It was at the end of his run (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance). Fun run tbh, guy had a weird but amusing energy about him and the speech was a good capstone (it comes at the end). Good (e) couch, as well.