Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The actual best choice for whistle is Balthus because it's the only ability that helps you grind faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

there will be a game where peg knights aren't trash

one day
uhh, you mean every game in the fire emblem series???

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Amppelix posted:

Hell in Houses alone Ingrid is a one woman terror.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm being charitable and assuming they mean the warriors games.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

I'm being charitable and assuming they mean the warriors games.

That's fair. Caeda was good but that's not because she was a pegasus, it was because she carried Wing Spear. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All the flying classes don't feel great here, yeah. Like they all get combos that rocket them forwards like cavs, but the cavs are still on the ground and push the enemy in front of them along with the combo, whereas all the fliers go right over them. In GW I was routinely using Ignatz over Claude zooming right over who I was trying to kill every other combo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
She got them from an Anna.

Anna wanted to market her new custom leggings service to Fodlan, so she got Byleth to wear them to advertise.

Unfortunately everyone in a 5 mile radius of Byleth ended up dead so there was nobody to advertise to.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Playing through AG first, recruiting everyone. Just got the whistle. What’s the right move here?

It replaces my sprint, right? So I’m probably taking Sylvain’s ability and giving it to someone, right? Who?

What are some other good choices here..?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

All the flying classes don't feel great here, yeah. Like they all get combos that rocket them forwards like cavs, but the cavs are still on the ground and push the enemy in front of them along with the combo, whereas all the fliers go right over them. In GW I was routinely using Ignatz over Claude zooming right over who I was trying to kill every other combo.

Bow Knight is shorter range so it felt like a downgrade from Sniper too. Ironic consider it giving you extra range in Houses. I also hated the cav til master tier, Dark Knight feels so much better than paladin.

Chinook posted:

Playing through AG first, recruiting everyone. Just got the whistle. What’s the right move here?

It replaces my sprint, right? So I’m probably taking Sylvain’s ability and giving it to someone, right? Who?

What are some other good choices here..?

So giving someone the whistle gives you an item you can give to ANYONE that overwrites their passive with whoever you go. So it's not just Shez who benefits. (Though you only get one obviously.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question: do you immediately get yeeted into NG+

I ask, because im currently in the abyss and i never decided who to give my platonic friendship whistle to

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

question: do you immediately get yeeted into NG+

I ask, because im currently in the abyss and i never decided who to give my platonic friendship whistle to

No after you finish the final map you can load up that save file and finish things up before starting NG+.

I am starring down the barrel of NG+ Azure Gleam just to get Lysithea her sword. I hate the Kingdom and I don't want to play this route so I'm pondering setting it to easy to see how fast I can blitz through it with just Shez and Mercedes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

No after you finish the final map you can load up that save file and finish things up before starting NG+.

I am starring down the barrel of NG+ Azure Gleam just to get Lysithea her sword. I hate the Kingdom and I don't want to play this route so I'm pondering setting it to easy to see how fast I can blitz through it with just Shez and Mercedes.

Just turn down the volume, skip all the cutscenes, and listen to smooth jazz.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Eimi posted:

I started with AG because they’re my least favorite house but the Faerguus world building is pretty neat. And they may be my least favorite house but I still love Sylvain, Felix, and Annette so it’s not like I’m suffering.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eimi posted:

You can get Thunderbrand on GW.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
speaking of thunderbrand, it's very funny to me that there are two relics tied to the crest of charon

they had to make up for nerfing thyrsus by giving lysithea multiple extremely broken weapons

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
they nerfed lysithea by making archers the most annoying officer type to face, besides maybe when enemy cav officers keep spamming their charge move

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Eimi posted:

Jeralt can barely raise Byleth so I am assuming he just bought a bunch of women's clothes and told her to pick what she liked, because he had no idea what to do. Byleth being Byleth, rolled around in the pile and kept wearing whatever she came put with.

...I am suddenly struck by the thought of Jeralt trying to explain her first period to his daughter. Or the facts of life. :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

...I am suddenly struck by the thought of Jeralt trying to explain her first period to his daughter. Or the facts of life. :allears:

https://mobile.twitter.com/radiostarkiller/status/1538523270814785539

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

That is a very cute comic (even if I still don't like Edelgard). :3:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress that's not Shez, I refuse to accept this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Raphael is even more like Big McLargeHuge from Space Mutiny in this game and I love it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

I also hated the cav til master tier, Dark Knight feels so much better than paladin.

I feel the opposite, the magic knights feel kind of anemic compared to the cav moveset. Except for on characters who can pick up Essence of Light/Dark from the mage tree, those tear poo poo up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel the opposite, the magic knights feel kind of anemic compared to the cav moveset. Except for on characters who can pick up Essence of Light/Dark from the mage tree, those tear poo poo up.

Dark Knight has a ludicrous combo set with access to every element except light, including the C5 which vacuums everything in in a huge radius and instantly inflicts frozen status to anyone who survives. Holy Knight is much worse because it's a copy-pasted dark knight with all the elements replaced with holy, which is the lamest element in this game that provides no real utility.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Hubert is legit proud of Petra for levying a strong diplomatic threat against him in their B support.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

lmao Hubert is legit proud of Petra for levying a strong diplomatic threat against him in their B support.

I thought it was impossible to make Hubert better in this game because he was already basically perfect in Houses. The madmen actually did it. Hubert is so much better in this game I love him. The only reason he's not most improved is because they took Petra from like a 7/10 to a 12/10, she is absolutely fire and I'm kind of sad I settled on Shez as my swordie because she deserved it all her supports own, she's much more proactive and just a massive badass.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i was just thinking, after the one-two combo of this game and three houses, i honestly would not mind if the series was permanently handled as a collaboration with koei from now on. they seem like they really know what's up, and should only get better after their literal first ever attempt at a fire emblem game was already pretty good, with some obvious issues

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Every future Fire Emblem should have an option where you can play a map in either FE Mode or Musou Mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Three Hopes is better than Warriors but it still kind of has a massive overabundance of sword stuff compared to anything else. Past a certain point I stopped bother with weapon triangles much because at the end of the day it was easier to just bring out multiple sword people than it was to try to cover multiple areas. Especially because so many combat arts can gently caress up mounted/pegasus/armored which basically means that lance using enemies are pretty easily wrecked anyway so having a sword covers you much easier than an axe or spear.

At least the house lords all have their own unique set so you can bring them along and have them cover stuff, but for a lot of classes I was more concerned with their weapon arts/spells/combo elements than I was their weapons.

It's an understandable problem but I kind of wish they'd gone more all-in on "Shez can summon a weapon" and let you hotswap between an axe/lance/sword moveset, or even just went full lance as a counter to Byleth's Sword.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

overabundance of swords?? there's like five units in the entire game that specialize in swords (and you're not even getting all of them in one playthrough!), if you're putting more of them there that's entirely on you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

overabundance of swords?? there's like five units in the entire game that specialize in swords (and you're not even getting all of them in one playthrough!), if you're putting more of them there that's entirely on you.

If you want to deploy Shez, and Byleth that is literally half your team dedicated to swords just on that, let alone if you want to bring along any character who has a relic sword weapon or the one secret character who has their own unique class.

When you can only deploy 4 characters it stands out a lot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh, i see. i'm using every character i have as equally as i can so this is like the opposite of an issue for me lol

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah my problem is too many good lance users. Also the bar for too many is really low when you can only deploy four units on most maps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why would I be deploying Shez and Byleth every time?

Sounds wack

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean if there's a real problem it's too many mages. In just Black Eagles you have Hubert, Dorothea, Linhardt, Monica, Hapi, Constance, Lysithea, Marianne, and Mercedes. 9 mages vs Shez, Petra, Yuri, and Byleth.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you know you can press a button to dismount and turn your mounted lance unit into a regular lance unit if the level is filled with “kill horses” enemies

Eimi posted:

I mean if there's a real problem it's too many mages. In just Black Eagles you have Hubert, Dorothea, Linhardt, Monica, Hapi, Constance, Lysithea, Marianne, and Mercedes. 9 mages vs Shez, Petra, Yuri, and Byleth.

the big secret of the game is that you can just ignore the preferred classes if you want with barely any consequences, they just grow slightly slower and also a lot of mages have unique skills that are way better with a faster weapon

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Augus posted:

you know you can press a button to dismount and turn your mounted lance unit into a regular lance unit if the level is filled with “kill horses” enemies

the big secret of the game is that you can just ignore the preferred classes if you want with barely any consequences, they just grow slightly slower

Actually the way growths work has been found out. Each character has set stats they will earn at every level. Classes just add a at most 30% chance to get a bonus stat during that process.

But yeah it's totally possible to switch people up with no consequences. And plenty work better off their preferred class. But you do lose their unique warrior special and callouts. Great Knight Ferdinand kicks rear end but during his warrior special he no longer says his name, game ruined 0/10.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

Actually the way growths work has been found out. Each character has set stats they will earn at every level. Classes just add a at most 30% chance to get a bonus stat during that process.

But yeah it's totally possible to switch people up with no consequences. And plenty work better off their preferred class. But you do lose their unique warrior special and callouts. Great Knight Ferdinand kicks rear end but during his warrior special he no longer says his name, game ruined 0/10.

That is my biggest complaint. If Marianne can't ram a horse into the enemy what is even the point?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Augus posted:

the big secret of the game is that you can just ignore the preferred classes if you want with barely any consequences, they just grow slightly slower and also a lot of mages have unique skills that are way better with a faster weapon

you literally cannot because then they lose their unique appearance that sometimes they lose anyway and fashion is v important

although some character color palettes still work, usually for horse classes

Amppelix posted:

listen every game I've played the pegasus knight turns out to be a wet blanket

except for cynthia but that's awakening's child characters

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is this game's story intelligible without doing multiple runs? My Three Houses experience was Black Eagles --> Edelgard route since everyone insisted it was the route, but it turned out to be almost meaningless calvinball unless you'd done the other routes first to provide the necessary context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kestral posted:

Is this game's story intelligible without doing multiple runs? My Three Houses experience was Black Eagles --> Edelgard route since everyone insisted it was the route, but it turned out to be almost meaningless calvinball unless you'd done the other routes first to provide the necessary context.

The Calvinball is having played Three Houses, so if you played Three Houses you're good to go. Obviously doing the route that corresponds to what you want to do here is the best help.