Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TFT dashboards can suck eggs. I have seen way too many reviewers slate a bike because it hasn't got one, and it's ridiculous. Sure it's the hot new thing, and you can't be the hot new thing without the hot new thing! They're loving garbage. How's this for revolutionary: the LCD on my GSX-S can tell me the time, how much fuel is left in the tank, my fuel economy, and a trip meter at the same time! Can the tablet attached to a new BMW do that? No it cannot.
"vell if you select bike info, and..."
Ebebebeb- listen Hans, I ain't scrolling through 4 different trip meters (two coffee break meters? Really?) just to see how much fuel I have left.
"but ze font is so crisp!"
gently caress your crisp fonts Hans. All that screen space and you couldn't put a digital clock in the corner somewhere?
I looked at the one on the Honda my friend rented. It has more useful information displayed by default, that's for sure. Still fuckin sucked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

(two coffee break meters? Really?)

Tell me more

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Tell me more

In addition to trip A and trip B, there's little coffee cup symbol A and little coffee cup symbol B and how far it's been since your last one. How does it know? I have no idea. How do you reset it? I didn't bother to find out.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Clocks are antithetical to fun rides :colbert:

Just use the sun like croc dundee

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ulf posted:

I live in Vancouver, dude. I ride to see if this rumored "sun" still exists.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oops wrong thread for that one!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

TFT dashboards can suck eggs.

They are awful. Love to have my dash running on java.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ulf posted:

My dash shows the time but a loose connection means it constantly resets to 12:00:00 while I ride. Even if I ride forever I’ve only been gone a few minutes at most.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Toe Rag posted:

Tell me more

I don’t have a link but read an article a while back that was lauding cars that detect when you’ve been on the road too long or are starting to exhibit signs of fatigue via your inputs, i think they referenced coffee breaks in the warnings and i bet it’s something in that vein.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 16, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I don’t have a link but read an article a while back that was lauding cars that detect when you’ve been on the road too long or are starting to exhibit signs of fatigue via your inputs, i think they referenced coffee breaks in the warnings and i bet it’s something in that vein.

I don't think it's anything so fancy, I'm pretty sure it's still just a manual resettable km counter, which maybe you'd find handy if your fuel stops and rest stops were staggered and wanted to track that for some reason. Now if you were truly living in the future, you could download the BMW MiBi app to your phone which syncs over Bluetooth to the dash, and has a built in fitness tracker that you let's you input what you ate and drank, and even if you don't, the GPS tracker knows at least where, so the next generation F950XRS can be tailor made for people who ride between 200 and 250km between rest breaks and frequent the kinds of establishments at the top of the database, carry a pillion 22-26% of the time, and prefer to piss facing east on sunny afternoons.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And another thing: those stupid fucken 'eco' lights that encourage you to feel bad about using the engine the way it was designed to be used.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

And another thing: those stupid fucken 'eco' lights that encourage you to feel bad about using the engine the way it was designed to be used.

Upshift indicators fixed for economy were dogshit on my car in 1986 and have no place on a bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We're working on a CB550 that has totally shot swingarm bushings in it now at the shop. I was just thinking the other day how if the designers had any intention that the bike last 45 years they might have used bearings instead of bushings or at least put some seals on the bushings to keep dust and rust and crap from getting into the grease and eating themselves. I'm sure nobody involved in that design was thinking beyond 5-10 years though. Now I'm imagining that sort of design and manufacturing dynamic with loving TFTs.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Slavvy posted:

THIS! I believe it's the only gripe I have with my XSR700 that actually holds water, because that stupid loving eco light turns off when I, get this, engage the loving clutch. I honestly don't mind the TFT module on my bike, it's clean and simple and doesn't present me with more than an easy to see speed and tachometer and has all of an up button and a down button, but that stupid loving "ECO" mode that blinks on and off almost arbitrarily on if I am accelerating, coasting, occasionally hard engine breaking*, or you know just stopped at a light.

*why would engine breaking effect this, wouldn't it be the leanest mixture possible while still travelling forward except for coasting(also turns on then, but I assume that's related to the clutch thing)?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Only thing i can imagine is that the injection is set up in such a way that it keeps injecting fuel (like a carbureted engine) while engine braking, to reduce how aggressive the engine braking is.
In that case coasting with the engine idle could consume less fuel.

Coasting in a bike is bad. Software engineers should've known to not make it light up in that case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My wife’s van has an eco light and the only thing it’s good for is determining if you’re burning a ton of gas while pulling a trailer

My accord has an accent light that surrounds the dash that transitions from green to red to indicate gas mileage but what it really is is a boost gauge, because it’s basically tied to boost pressure. Much cooler and more useful imo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Who else gets a bad sunburn on their wrist every summer at the gap between glove and jacket

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gauntlets or bust.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
get a jacket that fits you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

Who else gets a bad sunburn on their wrist every summer at the gap between glove and jacket

The reverse watch tan

I get it too

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
please spend more than a dollar on sunblock

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

Gauntlets or bust.
In 40C+ heat? Nein danke!

I don’t get burns but I do get a pretty solid stripe of extra tan in that gap. Every time I do a summer cross-country trip I spend a lot of the time putting my arms into weird positions to try and cut down how much sun my wrists get, swearing that this time I’ll remember to find some solution to pack into my gear. Guess what I still haven’t gotten around to yet!

As for a better fitting jacket / gloves, every summer glove I’ve found is this short and this jacket otherwise fits me perfectly, I’d have to go with something custom to fix this. :shrug: not gonna spend $$$ on custom leather for this.

Edit: this all came out weirdly defensive. It’s more that it’s something that I’m looking into solutions for, and also something that I obsess about for 16 hours each time I cross a desert because there’s nothing else to focus on.

Sunblock was mentioned but wearing that stuff under leathers while also camping nightly sounds like a really gross time.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 4, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

In 40C+ heat? Nein danke!

I don’t get burns but I do get a pretty solid stripe of extra tan in that gap. Every time I do a summer cross-country trip I spend a lot of the time putting my arms into weird positions to try and cut down how much sun my wrists get, swearing that this time I’ll remember to find some solution to pack into my gear. Guess what I still haven’t gotten around to yet!

As for a better fitting jacket / gloves, every summer glove I’ve found is this short and this jacket otherwise fits me perfectly, I’d have to go with something custom to fix this. :shrug: not gonna spend $$$ on custom leather for this.

Edit: this all came out weirdly defensive. It’s more that it’s something that I’m looking into solutions for, and also something that I obsess about for 16 hours each time I cross a desert because there’s nothing else to focus on.

Sunblock was mentioned but wearing that stuff under leathers while also camping nightly sounds like a really gross time.

These are pretty cool. Linking those specific ones as an example, but they're usually 30-50 SPF/UPF and don't make it feel any hotter. You can usually find them at sporting goods stores or just out on the internets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I get a tan in the little gap, it never burns.

Agreed that putting on sunscreen underneath gloves and gear sounds like it would keep me from riding

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What? Just put it where you need some.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

What? Just put it where you need some.

:hmmyes:

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 4, 2022

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Nah I just find sunscreen to be gross. I’m already grimy enough on these trips, why grease myself up even more. And if you want to try and talk me out that opinion, hey it’s the rant thread just give me a pass on that one.

Thanks for the link Strife, I have seen those in the bicycling side of my life and it’s pretty much what I was thinking.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For suncreamophobes, Daylong absorbs well and does what it says on the tin.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ulf posted:

Nah I just find sunscreen to be gross. I’m already grimy enough on these trips, why grease myself up even more. And if you want to try and talk me out that opinion, hey it’s the rant thread just give me a pass on that one.

Thanks for the link Strife, I have seen those in the bicycling side of my life and it’s pretty much what I was thinking.

Just bring an umbrella for shade. You can point it forward into the wind.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I sometimes use Lush Powdered Sunshine. It is sun screen but it's a dry powder.
It does not work as well as standard sun screen, but it does actually work. I get sun burn really easily so for me, it's important to wear some even if i'm only outside for about an hour. For those moments it's ideal. Because it is dry, you don't feel sticky or greasy. The powder clings to your skin, but not in the gross way standard sun screen does.

If i spend hours outside, i wear standard but unperfumed sun screen.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No but seriously what exact gloves are these? Even my perforated summer shorties have an inch or two of wrist protection, do yours stop like directly at the back of your hand?

This isn't an attack I'm just genuinely curious how this is happening because it's never been an issue for me

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It only really happens with my Cortech Impulse STs, I have a pair of short-cuff Racer gloves that go another half-inch down the wrist and leave a much smaller gap. Also my left wrist gets a lot more sun than the right one, for whatever reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I had gloves that don't cover my wrists, sunburn would not be my first concern but idk.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Probably a case of my arms being too long for this jacket, then. And wearing gloves too far along the airflow <=> protection end of the scale.

Dainese C2 Mig gloves:

With an A* Jaws jacket:

But here's the kicker, here's how I hold my arms on the Nighthawk 750 all day:

thanks for the input everyone, I think I'm going to go with the umbrella idea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just ride naked

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just ride naked

Naked bike, naked rider

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Smart motorcycle design: Suzuki knows that if you need to remove a through-bolt like an axle bolt or an engine mount bolt, you will have to turn both sides, so they make the fasteners on the two sides different sizes (14 mm and 17 mm). That way you have one socket on one, a different socket on the other, and all is well.

Bad accessory design: I'm putting shogun frame sliders on my bike. In a stroke of genius, they replace the engine mount through-bolt, and have a 19 mm hex... on both sides. Now I have to get up tomorrow and go to the hardware store, buy a second 19mm socket so that I can torque this bullshit down, and proceed to never use that second socket ever again, ever. GENIUS.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
One set of sockets is infinitely better than no set of sockets so you're already doing great. If you get a second set and your first set is a short set, get a set of long sockets, they're very useful and convenient except when they are too long. A difficult question is if you get the same drive size or a different one. 19mm is too big for 1/4" so it's either 3/8 or 1/2. The smallest proper amount of hex socket sets for wrenching on anything from bicycles to cars (metric only) is 6: Long and short sockets in all three drive sizes. This is excluding impact sockets or anything imperial. Also completely sidestepping the 6 vs 12 point question. I know this isn't a tool thread but I find myself having feelings about sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frame sliders that replace your engine mount bolts is like replacing your seatbelts with an ejection seat.