Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jedi Master is the second hardest, isn't it? Jedi Grandmaster is the hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, Jedi Master is the second hardest, that's what I've been trying to do so far.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

TeaJay posted:

Yep, Jedi Master is the second hardest, that's what I've been trying to do so far.

This is counter-intuitive but changing it to a lower difficulty might make the game harder depending on how long you've played it. All the timings change and you'll be forced to retrain your muscle memory.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Replaying this game and it has a lot of good tone and gameplay moments but the real triumph it has is right after you get your new lightsaber. The whole game you've been using your Master's and slowly learning new skills, making it feel a bit clunky. Then on Ilum you finally get a real choice on customizing the lightsaber color, right as you bond more with BD-1, and right after you get your new lightsaber you're handed an amazing new power move and the game just throws a poo poo-ton of enemies at you as if to say "go nuts".

You go from the start of the game where you don't really understand parrying feeling like a loser against a single scout trooper with a baton and now the game makes you feel like you earned this new weapon, both in the challenge and the gameplay, and then lets you just steamroll a bunch of guys with it who were demolishing you earlier in the game. It's super cathartic and one of those game moments that are story-driven that are rarely replicated.

A few corresponding examples:

DOOM Eternal gives you back the Super Shotgun in a way that feels epic as hell
In God of War getting the war glaives back the game hands you a bunch of enemies and says "have fun" right away
Any others folks can think of?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tom Tucker posted:

Replaying this game and it has a lot of good tone and gameplay moments but the real triumph it has is right after you get your new lightsaber. The whole game you've been using your Master's and slowly learning new skills, making it feel a bit clunky. Then on Ilum you finally get a real choice on customizing the lightsaber color, right as you bond more with BD-1, and right after you get your new lightsaber you're handed an amazing new power move and the game just throws a poo poo-ton of enemies at you as if to say "go nuts".

Remind me, what's the new power move you get there?

One can get the double lightsabre early in the game by going to Dathomir and following the path round a bit, so that's handy. I didn't find this out until after the point you get it anyway in my most recent playthrough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There are moves that switch saber style and do a special attack, with the double-->single move being the strongest attack in the game.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

One can get the double lightsabre early in the game by going to Dathomir and following the path round a bit, so that's handy. I didn't find this out until after the point you get it anyway in my most recent playthrough.

The one where you split your saber in two, which is basically an instant kill on any kind of regular trooper with a decent splash area as well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

fezball posted:

The one where you split your saber in two, which is basically an instant kill on any kind of regular trooper with a decent splash area as well.

Ah yes cheers. I like that this game goes for the duelling we see in the sequel trilogy rather than the more acrobatic style in the prequels, seems more violent and that each strike is meant to do some damage or deflection rather than swinging around a lot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Got this game in the Steam summer sale. I'm about 15 hours in, it's really good. I get a bit of the old KOTOR feeling, even though there's no party, the fights are much more action oriented, and there's such a big emphasis on platforming. I'm an old now, so parrying correctly is a bit of a challenge, but it's still a lot of fun. I saw that there'll be a sequel, which pleases me a lot. Too bad that canon basically demands a bad ending for Cal :(

I do love the fact that visually, Cal is Ian Gallagher but a jedi. I'm a bit over RPG protagonists defaulting to straight, white, cis males, but I'm just headcanoning Cal as gay, so it works out for me. Oddly enough, it helps that there are probably no romances in this game. At least there are no characters that I could see Cal romance. Cere is old enough to be his mother (I think), and is clearly filling out the teacher/mentor role. And Greez is a grumpy alien. So I'm free to headcanon Cal as gay all I want.

I do appreciate the genuine (platonic) love between Cal and BD-1, it's freaking adorable and wholesome.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the game so far.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I wasn't sold on Cal at first, but seeing his interactions with BD started to turn things around for me.

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Got this game in the Steam summer sale. I'm about 15 hours in, it's really good. I get a bit of the old KOTOR feeling, even though there's no party, the fights are much more action oriented, and there's such a big emphasis on platforming. I'm an old now, so parrying correctly is a bit of a challenge, but it's still a lot of fun. I saw that there'll be a sequel, which pleases me a lot. Too bad that canon basically demands a bad ending for Cal :(

I do love the fact that visually, Cal is Ian Gallagher but a jedi. I'm a bit over RPG protagonists defaulting to straight, white, cis males, but I'm just headcanoning Cal as gay, so it works out for me. Oddly enough, it helps that there are probably no romances in this game. At least there are no characters that I could see Cal romance. Cere is old enough to be his mother (I think), and is clearly filling out the teacher/mentor role. And Greez is a grumpy alien. So I'm free to headcanon Cal as gay all I want.

I do appreciate the genuine (platonic) love between Cal and BD-1, it's freaking adorable and wholesome.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the game so far.
Hope your headcanon is ready for dathomir

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there really no other outfits for Cal than various ugly ponchos?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Nope, our boy Cal is no fashionista, to say the least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Only in a second playthrough I believe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Don't knock the "no poncho" option either

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Torrannor posted:

For PC, there are a fair few via mods

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The pink poncho from Bogano is unmatched

Hero's Armor is great too
And of course Kyle Katarn

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You would think Cal shouldn't wave his double bladed lightsaber around so much in the tight confines of his starship. I'm pretty sure he not only cut the workbench, but also his own thigh.

Cross-Section posted:

Don't knock the "no poncho" option either

Oh, I am rocking the "no poncho" option non-stop.

I think the more scrappy look suits Cal, there's just not enough meaningful variation. And while he looks awesome in some of those mods helpful goons have liked here, I think they don't quite fit him, and the "current" situation. What with the Empire at the height of it's power, and Jedi being hunted everywhere.

fake edit: The game told me one of those cute furred critters from Bogano is now a stowaway on my ship, but I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Torrannor posted:

fake edit: The game told me one of those cute furred critters from Bogano is now a stowaway on my ship, but I can't seem to find it anywhere?

You'll see it in various places, sometimes in the vent opposite the door as you enter the ship, sometimes underneath the planet console.

Best part is that Greez becomes convinced there is a stowaway aboard but also accuses Cal of taking a giant, stinky poo poo at one point as the only explanation for a weird smell he's picked up :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why isn't there a massive Empire presence on Ilum? The Emperor knows that this is the prime source of lightsaber crystals in the galaxy, any jedi or force sensitive he missed in his purges has a good chance to end up on Ilum to craft a new lightsaber!

Cal has a remarkable ability to remain totally dry, no matter how long he's submerged in water. Especially impressive in regards to his hair!

Edit: Oh, so there is a big Empire presence on Ilum. Just not in the main jedi temple for some reason. I do wonder why the Mantis can just fly wherever it wants without getting detected by the Empire's military presence. Is Cere giving them an imperial ID really enough to fool all Empire forces forever?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 5, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The best outfit in the game is that Inquisitor costume.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Why isn't there a massive Empire presence on Ilum? The Emperor knows that this is the prime source of lightsaber crystals in the galaxy, any jedi or force sensitive he missed in his purges has a good chance to end up on Ilum to craft a new lightsaber!

Cal has a remarkable ability to remain totally dry, no matter how long he's submerged in water. Especially impressive in regards to his hair!

Edit: Oh, so there is a big Empire presence on Ilum. Just not in the main jedi temple for some reason. I do wonder why the Mantis can just fly wherever it wants without getting detected by the Empire's military presence. Is Cere giving them an imperial ID really enough to fool all Empire forces forever?

*Han, literally hiding parked on the back of a star destroyer" Yeah kid, it's enough

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Fly back to Ilum after you leave for a fun visual easter egg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Torrannor posted:

This bugs me every time in media. Just once I want someone to be trying to sneak around, only for a guard to go "Hey, who the gently caress is dripping water everywhere?!?"

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Captain Hygiene posted:

This bugs me every time in media. Just once I want someone to be trying to sneak around, only for a guard to go "Hey, who the gently caress is dripping water everywhere?!?"

Not quite the same but in the MGS series you leave wet footprints for awhile which can lead guards to you if you emerge from water.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Torrannor posted:

Honestly if you’ve ever read anything about how fascist/authoritarian regimes function, or more accurately don’t function, no I don’t find it hard to believe that that’s enough for 90% of cases.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Fly back to Ilum after you leave for a fun visual easter egg

It's still insane to me that extended material decided that the new empire's new death star was actually a hollowed-out Ilum. Because if that had been a detail actually in the movie that would've added a lot more interest than it just being a generic planet blowing up totally unnamed planets.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's still insane to me that extended material decided that the new empire's new death star was actually a hollowed-out Ilum. Because if that had been a detail actually in the movie that would've added a lot more interest than it just being a generic planet blowing up totally unnamed planets.

Rather hilarious in hindsight since fans figured it out the moment they released a NuCanon map for TFA and Starkiller's origin point was in the same exact place as the planet it replaced from Legends

Was holding out hope for Zonoma Sekot

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Don't forget that JJ Abrams doesn't give a poo poo about coherence or fleshing out a plot, in favour of his ridiculous mystery box philosophy his child mind created that he seems to think is some deep and meaningful method of telling a story.

He says he "learned the hard way" that a trilogy really should have an outline before it's embarked upon. How this man keeps getting work I don't know. Apart from Star Wars, his moronic handling of Star Trek is also abysmal.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't forget that JJ Abrams doesn't give a poo poo about coherence or fleshing out a plot, in favour of his ridiculous mystery box philosophy his child mind created that he seems to think is some deep and meaningful method of telling a story.

He says he "learned the hard way" that a trilogy really should have an outline before it's embarked upon. How this man keeps getting work I don't know. Apart from Star Wars, his moronic handling of Star Trek is also abysmal.

55 year old white man says he just learned he needs to actually write a story before making movies, after having a multi decade career. Continues to get work.

52 year old Korean man who literally won best picture with a foreign language film can't get a single gig on Hollywood despite speaking perfect English.

Never change, America.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, you gotta admit it is wild that Disney, who meticulously plans every detail of every moment, just kinda shot from the hip and said "yeah it's a multi-billion dollar franchise just do whatever!" and then said it again to Rian Johnson.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've finished Dathomir and will return to Bogano for what I assume to be the final stretch of the game. There are no more obviously missing skills in my skill tree, and I got the achievement to have recruited all crew members. Which was a bit of a surprise, from raising her undead sisters to fight me, Merrin suddenly joins me? I wonder whether she will do anything more, or whether this is just setup for the sequel. I'll find out tomorrow :)

I'm not quite sure how I expect the game to end. Taking into account meta information, it's obvious that the plan can't quite work out. There was no other jedi organization when Luke showed up, so Cal and Cere either didn't find the holocron, or didn't use it to create another group of force sensitive people. My best guess is that Cere, who admitted to using the dark side to escape the Empire, fully turns to the dark side and takes off with the holocron, intending to create a dark side organization to oppose the emperor. That would be the setup to the sequel then, with Cal trying to stop her. Culminating in them killing each other in a possible third and final game? Tying up all the lose ends.

Going away from speculation that probably turns out to be totally wrong, I have some non-spoilery questions. I don't quite understand where that data about young force sensitive people comes from. Is it compiled from some jedi insights/prophecies or what? Or is it from the seekers looking for force sensitive children? But the jedi induct potential members as young as possible, why were these young force sensitive beings not padawans at that time?

Also, when exactly does the game take place? How long after the jedi temple massacre, and Palpatine becoming the emperor?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Going away from speculation that probably turns out to be totally wrong, I have some non-spoilery questions. I don't quite understand where that data about young force sensitive people comes from. Is it compiled from some jedi insights/prophecies or what? Or is it from the seekers looking for force sensitive children? But the jedi induct potential members as young as possible, why were these young force sensitive beings not padawans at that time?

Also, when exactly does the game take place? How long after the jedi temple massacre, and Palpatine becoming the emperor?

It's five years post-Purge, and the Jedi use blood tests to identify the midi-chlorian count of prospective younglings, so perhaps from planetary census and medical records?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I like your prediction on the endgame.

I think that Eno Cordova fellow wrote the list but I'm not entirely sure where he got the names from.

The game takes place 5 years after the Emperor's Purge. That level in the game was great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

At the start of S2 of the Clone Wars there's an arc where Palpatine hires Cad Bane to steal a list of force sensitive children from the Jedi (who are storing it in a holocron in the main archives). We end up seeing some of the kids and they are basically toddlers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there might be some kind of thing going on where they looked into the future to predict children who would have force potential.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At the start of S2 of the Clone Wars there's an arc where Palpatine hires Cad Bane to steal a list of force sensitive children from the Jedi (who are storing it in a holocron in the main archives). We end up seeing some of the kids and they are basically toddlers.

And those are the kids who were specifically too young to be recruited at the time, because they're still with their families. I dunno what the magic age is supposed to be, somewhere between 3 and 9 I guess. Or maybe it was more critical that Anakin was too old more because he had done a lot harder living in that time than most kids.

There was an episode planned that was going to be about how Ahsoka got inducted into the order, but it ended up not getting made.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 8, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If you like Star Wars lore I highly recommend the Revenge of the Sith novelisation. It's beautifully written and delves much deeper into the characters than was shown in the movie.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I finished the game, and took notes to kind of live blog my experience, because I like reading these from other posters. So spoilers for the endgame, naturally:

- Finally flying back to Bogano to unlock the vault, Merrin raises interesting points. Is it really right to take these children away from their parents (a policy that was already questionable when the Jedi Order did it), and essentially condemning them to a lifetime of being hunted by the Empire? Although the Empire is technically already searching for them, to either eliminate them, or turn them into dark side puppets for the Emperor. It's nonetheless a good question to bring up, I'm impressed by Merrin.

- Huh, they are reinforcing the point Merrin made in this vision. Is that the dark side playing on Cal's fears, or something more? It's not an unrealistic scenario, especially since we know that no such pseudo-Jedi organization will be established when the Empire falls, so either the heroes don't get the holocron, or a scenario like it was presented in this vision plays out.

- Okay, my immediate reaction after the Trilla flashbacks: Why did she run away with the holocron, when she clearly had an opportunity to kill Cal??? This makes absolutely zero sense. Not even as a way to lure out Cere, since announcing the killing of Cal and taunting her with the holocron would have ensured Cere cam after Trilla regardless. This is typical bad(ly written) villain behavior, and I'm a bit disappointed with the game for pulling this stunt.

- That said, the flashback itself was cool, and it was nice to see a logical downside to Cal's psychometric ability.

- Cal's knighting was a cool scene, and I do appreciate the tears in his eyes during it. I was definitely moved.

- Okay, I Merrin cloaking the ship is definitely more believable than the super hacking Cere employed till now.

- For such a super secure facility, it sure is surprisingly easy to just swim into it.

- It feels nice to have so many imperials to slaughter with my improved gameplay skills. I remember those basic stun rod guys beating me up a lot when I first learned the controls, now parrying even the improved versions is super easy. I like that. And it helps that Cal is a lot stronger, too.

- Why are these guns before the interrogation room arrange like that, shouldn't they point inwards in case somebody escapes?

- I really like Trilla's visual design, she really embodies "graceful but deadly".

- I did not expect Trilla to seriously consider turning back to the light side!

- I REALLY DID NOT EXPECT DARTH VADER, HOLY poo poo!!!

- Wow, what a scene. I actually could not figure out what to do when Vader has you by the throat. I was so focused on Vader and Cal, I did not notice that thing in the background. I seriously had to look it up. Props for making me so engrossed in the action that I could see nothing but the two main figures in the scene.

- I appreciate that the game makes it very clear that Cal has zero chance against Vader. That's the proper respect for his character.

- I kind of expected Cere to die here. I didn't think her dead when she seemingly fell into the lava, but I thought she would sacrifice herself to allow Cal to get away from Vader in that last confrontation. Merrin coming to rescue them was perfect.

- This dashes my theory that Cere would finally fall to the dark side and run away with the holocron. The game did good job building up to this ending.

- Although this makes me kind of lost to think where they will go with the sequel? Not that this is a bad end, that was a satisfying conclusion to the story without obvious cliffhangers that might never amount to anything when there's no sequel.

- Watching the game 2 trailer, I still have no idea where this is going. Who was that guy in the (bacta?) tank?

Overall, this is a really good game. Gameplay was quite fun, the story was good, and I enjoyed Cal as the main character. I'll be hunting the remaining plant seeds and some chest, and will be trying out the battle meditation thingy, too. I like that I can still return to the old places to get a 100% playthrough if I want.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think I'm finished with the game. Greez has a nice terrarium, I've collected a lot of the secrets, and the wave battles have been fun.

I think it's a really solid foundation for (hopefully) a new single player Star Wars series, but they could have done some things better, imho:

- I didn't exactly miss a fast travel system before, but hunting for secrets and then doing the long trek back to the Mantis after I've already beaten the game was a bit annoying. I've noticed that there were often story beats happening when you explored something new and then returned to your ship. So it makes sense why there's no fast travel for those situations. But after beating the game, there could have been an instant teleport back to the Mantis, that would be a really convenient QoL improvement.

- Speaking of the Mantis, it's ugly imho. The rotating wing also makes little sense imho.

- And speaking of ugly, there are definitely not enough customization options for Cal. Playing pretty princess dress up is an important part of RPGs for me, but choosing between different ugly ponchos is not my kind of fun. The inquisition outfit you get for beating the game looks pretty cool. I understand why Cal is not walking around in Jedi robes or tradition Jedi combat uniforms. But he can be incognito while still being better dressed than some scrapper. I really, really hope the sequel improves in this regard. Although perhaps with EA you only get those kinds of customization options if they're connected to DLCs or microtransactions, so perhaps we're better off with the system like it is now?

- Thinking about it, there's actually not really a good justification for Cal not wearing a traditional Jedi outfit in this game (after being ripped out of his scrapper life), since you're only traveling to basically uninhabited planets, where the only humans are nearly without exceptions imperials who attack you on sight anyways. I hope Survivor allows us to travel through some more metropolitan environments, having a civilian city as a base is always good in an RPG.

- The combat was wholly enjoyable, I don't think respawn needs to iterate too much with it. Switching between one handed and double bladed lightsaber is a ton of fun. It's a bit of a shame that (split saber attacks notwithstanding) you never really got to dual wield lightsabers, which was my favorite in KotOR.

- The map was really, really good. Easily showing unexplored paths, clearly marking for now unusable parts in red, and parts that opened up because you got a new ability in green. That was seriously great, it helped a ton in navigating the world. It would have been nice if it had also marked chests that you interacted with, but that you couldn't open yet. But that's a minor issue.

- The platforming felt great, and I appreciate that Respawns were not overly harsh with the mechanics. You either don't take fall damage at all, or the distances are too great and you get that token life loss while respawning in your original location. And if you fell into a chasm, the game respawns you right before your wrong jump. This, plus the frequent meditation spots, made it so that the platforming never felt frustrating, even the more challenging parts.

Overall I can see why the game got so many positive ratings. I'll be playing the ME Legendary edition next, Fallen Order definitely made me hunger for more sci-fi action rpgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I understand that it's a pain to backtrack through the whole level without fast travel, but by the point in the game that you're doing that, it's mostly unnecessary for beating the game, and what you're doing by that point is squeezing the last bit of gameplay out of the game. And since the gameplay is like 25% traversal, the reward of "having more game to play through" is probably bigger than the few decorative collectibles they managed to stuff into the game.

The collectibles are pretty barebones aside from the health upgrades. I guess They kept the gameplay simple enough that there wasn't much they could leave for the player to collect that would really matter. I don't mind ponchos, but it is weird that there are just ponchos. I guess they couldn't throw in concept art because they wanted to do a whole in-engine verisimilitude thing. I also felt like the writing in the databank entries and the psychometry stories was kinda bland. The game does kinda have a feel like it's missing a chunk, but I guess it's just lucky that there wasn't some kind of severe monetization scheme.