Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi posted:

Actually the way growths work has been found out. Each character has set stats they will earn at every level. Classes just add a at most 30% chance to get a bonus stat during that process.

I meant that the preferred classes get a slight bonus to Class Exp, which is shown when you’re assigning people to training sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the really big difference between routes, and an interesting, well-written one, is the way Shez has a totally different relationship with each house leader. Edelgard was very "you, sweet mercenary, are a critical part of the Empire's war machine and a special treasure of my heart." Now I've moved on to Golden Wildfire and Claude ruthlessly exploits me and turns me on and off like a light switch. Goddess alone knows what Dimitri's going to be like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

you literally cannot because then they lose their unique appearance that sometimes they lose anyway and fashion is v important

although some character color palettes still work, usually for horse classes

You can set every character to use their unique appearance in battle at your personal quarters and it works with every class except a couple of the mounted ones.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

the big secret of the game is that you can just ignore the preferred classes if you want with barely any consequences, they just grow slightly slower and also a lot of mages have unique skills that are way better with a faster weapon
not quite, as characters always learn more abilities from their preferred class than any other ones, including their weaponbreaker skill. after you've gotten all that you're free to gently caress off, of course.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, the Flayn paralogue in this one isn't subtle at all. May as well have just come out and said "I'm a thousand year-old dragon."

I guess since she wasn't kidnapped this time she's less guarded about secrets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the really big difference between routes, and an interesting, well-written one, is the way Shez has a totally different relationship with each house leader. Edelgard was very "you, sweet mercenary, are a critical part of the Empire's war machine and a special treasure of my heart." Now I've moved on to Golden Wildfire and Claude ruthlessly exploits me and turns me on and off like a light switch. Goddess alone knows what Dimitri's going to be like.

With Dimitri so far it's been a lot of "Revenge buddy support group," Shez acting as a bit of reins on Dimitri's bloodlust-boner with their "it's a mercenary's job, sometimes your friends get killed" attitude.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

I thought it was impossible to make Hubert better in this game because he was already basically perfect in Houses. The madmen actually did it. Hubert is so much better in this game I love him. The only reason he's not most improved is because they took Petra from like a 7/10 to a 12/10, she is absolutely fire and I'm kind of sad I settled on Shez as my swordie because she deserved it all her supports own, she's much more proactive and just a massive badass.

Yeah it's great, the combo of him being three years younger and not having the slithers constantly breathing down his and Edelgard's necks means his goofball side can shine through a bit more through the cracks in his evil vizier shtick. I like how Shez's base demeanor legitimately pushes his buttons and when you call him out on it he's all "wow you're actually rather insightful, if only you had a brain to go along with it you might be indispensable to her majesty instead of just very useful." :allears:

And yes, that Petra in Hopes is no longer a relatively meek royal hostage but rather is actively working behind the scenes to assassinate Caspar's dad for revenge and ensure Brigid can throw of imperial hegemony one way or another is real good.

Also as another aside, Dorothea's VA absolutely nails the delivery in her response to Caspar going "huh wait why would they call a gigantic impregnable fortress 'maiden'? Isn't that weird???"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Eimi posted:

The Calvinball is having played Three Houses, so if you played Three Houses you're good to go. Obviously doing the route that corresponds to what you want to do here is the best help.

I think I failed to explain that clearly. What I meant was, the ending of Three Houses on the route I chose came out of nowhere and made no sense, because the story of Three Houses is divided up among four different routes, and you don't really understand what's going on unless you play (or YouTube) the majority of them. I'm in the mood for what Three Hopes seems to be offering, but I know I'm not going to play it more than once, and if it's the kind of thing where the ending is only going to make sense after beating it two or three times, I should probably just pass. Anyone know whether you can get a comprehensible, satisfying story out of a single playthrough?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What about the ending of CF comes out of nowhere and doesn't make sense?? Maybe my perception's been colored by the times and hindsight but I don't remember feeling confused about anything.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Terper posted:

What about the ending of CF comes out of nowhere and doesn't make sense?? Maybe my perception's been colored by the times and hindsight but I don't remember feeling confused about anything.

I did CF first and it felt like it answered basically no open questions about anything going on, especially compared to VW. It was just Hooray, we killed Rhea! Job and story complete, Slitherers get relegated to "and then they fought against those that Slither in the Dark" in a bunch of character epilogue mentions. Why was Rhea a dragon? Who was Sothis? Who knows, who cares, not important or relevant. IIRC CF even had Byleth just die with Rhea and then come back to life with blue hair again and that's never touched on or explained, it just Happens and that's that-- in order to get the explaination and backstory you have to play one or more different routes.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 4, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I did CF first and it felt like it answered basically no open questions about anything going on, especially compared to VW. It was just Hooray, we killed Rhea! Job and story complete, Slitherers get relegated to "and then they fought against those that Slither in the Dark" in a bunch of character epilogue mentions. Why was Rhea a dragon? Who was Sothis? Who knows, who cares, not important or relevant. IIRC CF even had Byleth just die with Rhea and then come back to life with blue hair again and that's never touched on or explained, it just Happens and that's that-- in order to get the explaination and backstory you have to play one or more different routes.

This perfectly summarizes my reaction to it, yeah. I enjoyed Three Houses, but the reality is that there are so many amazing games out there that I already don't have time to play, that doing multiple runs of a fairly lengthy game just wasn't worth it. I'm dearly hoping Three Hopes routes are more self-contained.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why was Rhea a dragon? Who was Sothis? Who knows, who cares, not important or relevant. IIRC CF even had Byleth just die with Rhea and then come back to life with blue hair again and that's never touched on or explained, it just Happens and that's that-- in order to get the explaination and backstory you have to play one or more different routes.

I mean, "why" Rhea was a dragon is completely irrelevant in the context of Fire Emblem. There Be Dragons. Her trying to make you sit on the throne, the freakout, calling you a traitor, and then in the ending zooming in on Byleth's heart and revealing the Crest Stone and it disappearing causing Byleth's heart to start beating and the hair returning to normal explains pretty much everything that had happened. Sothis was her mom, and Rhea wanted to resurrect her (by giving her Byleth's body). Her death makes the magic go away. You don't need text to explain that!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah Crimson Flower makes sense enough as a self-contained story, but it leaves a lot of the background story detail out. Chief of which is that it never explains what the deal with Sothis is. It's even implied in one of Hubert's supports that everyone knows, they just never bother telling the player.

Also I don't think it is ever explained on any route why killing Rhea destroys the Sothis crest stone and makes Byleth fully human. You also kill her in Silver Snow and it doesn't happen!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 4, 2022

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Eimi posted:

Hell in Houses alone Ingrid is a one woman terror.

In the first Battle of the Eagle and the Lion on Golden Deer Maddening, NPC Ingrid murdered half the Empire troops for me until she finally went down to their combined forces.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The final feather in the 'Uh. Sure. I guess.' cap is of course you can still S-Rank Sothis anyway.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Terper posted:

You don't need text to explain that!

there are at least two people ITT who disagree with that apparently lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Does anyone know if the Arval plot twist chapters are identical between routes or not? Because if they are identical then i'll be slightly disappointed. I was hoping for like. Anything else?? Maybe more of a Sothis presence because I recruited Byleth?? The big "twist" being "HAHA, SURPRISE, I WAS A SLITHERER ALL ALONG, AND I WANT TO KILL SOTHIS" is like. You know that from chapter one. Thats incredibly obvious. Thats not a twist????? At the very least I was hoping that Arval would've been revealed to be Zahras. But no theyre just another Agarthan who went for the AI-backup form of immortality instead of whatever the gently caress Solon and Tomas (and Kronya, actually, we never got to kill her this time around) are doing. And what is the "cycle of the world" they mentioned??

Basically Arval is kind of half-baked and im annoyed Sothis didn't get to show up and talk poo poo more, considering she does so in the brief interludes where Byleth/Jeralt are talking and its incredible. Byleth is great in this game but she would have been greater with more interludes featuring Everyone's Favorite Gremlin, especially considering she was less amnesiac this time around. (she doesn't even get a line in edgewise during Shez/Byleth's A-rank!!! :mad:)

ImpAtom posted:

That is my biggest complaint. If Marianne can't ram a horse into the enemy what is even the point?
my big complaint is that sometimes even preferred classes lose their uniques and special clothes

Hilda wants to ride a wyvern but she has to wear the ugly armor to do so!! it's unfair!!!

also lysithea only gets her unique as a gremory, not as any of the other tome using classes. Which, on the one hand I get because hers has both light and dark magic so it fits thematically, but on the other hand cmooonnn

also also, its dumb that marianne can't use Summon Horse when she's a gremory. Yes i know I could just downgrade back to bishop but the moveset for that is Extremely Lame

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's great, the combo of him being three years younger and not having the slithers constantly breathing down his and Edelgard's necks means his goofball side can shine through a bit more through the cracks in his evil vizier shtick. I like how Shez's base demeanor legitimately pushes his buttons and when you call him out on it he's all "wow you're actually rather insightful, if only you had a brain to go along with it you might be indispensable to her majesty instead of just very useful." :allears:

And yes, that Petra in Hopes is no longer a relatively meek royal hostage but rather is actively working behind the scenes to assassinate Caspar's dad for revenge and ensure Brigid can throw of imperial hegemony one way or another is real good.

Also as another aside, Dorothea's VA absolutely nails the delivery in her response to Caspar going "huh wait why would they call a gigantic impregnable fortress 'maiden'? Isn't that weird???"
i cant decide if i want to do Black Eagles next. This sounds incredible but also what if I saved the best for last???

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxCSPWoP-qJsubvsA9zrI4bXA90ZuYn7-_

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We all knew going in that the Black Eagles would be the best. There was a whole other game about how great they are!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This even funnier with the context that he went on to voice Holst in Hopes.

Blaziken386 posted:

Does anyone know if the Arval plot twist chapters are identical between routes or not? Because if they are identical then i'll be slightly disappointed. I was hoping for like. Anything else?? Maybe more of a Sothis presence because I recruited Byleth?? The big "twist" being "HAHA, SURPRISE, I WAS A SLITHERER ALL ALONG, AND I WANT TO KILL SOTHIS" is like. You know that from chapter one. Thats incredibly obvious. Thats not a twist????? At the very least I was hoping that Arval would've been revealed to be Zahras. But no theyre just another Agarthan who went for the AI-backup form of immortality instead of whatever the gently caress Solon and Tomas (and Kronya, actually, we never got to kill her this time around) are doing. And what is the "cycle of the world" they mentioned??

Basically Arval is kind of half-baked and im annoyed Sothis didn't get to show up and talk poo poo more, considering she does so in the brief interludes where Byleth/Jeralt are talking and its incredible. Byleth is great in this game but she would have been greater with more interludes featuring Everyone's Favorite Gremlin, especially considering she was less amnesiac this time around. (she doesn't even get a line in edgewise during Shez/Byleth's A-rank!!! :mad:)

It was exactly the same, like beat for beat, on both AG and GW for me. The only difference was the dialogue between the lords was slightly different between routes. And yeah, the Arval stuff seems really underbaked which is disappointing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

I was totally expecting that the route difference would be how you escaped Zahras. After all the Fell Star can consume even the darkness itself. Instead Byleth and Sothis don't matter at all. Arval is also really underplayed. I guessed the twist, that Arval would just as keikaku you the second they got their memory back, but it's not really set up well and you don't have enough interaction with Arval to really make it feel all that emotionally impactful. Like when Sothis is in Houses, she is present and owns. Arval is in the start of this game and then they kind of just gently caress off until it's twist time. As well no evil smirk on Arval's face as they just as keikaku was lame.

This also plays into the mystery of who Shez is and it's kind of confused just to have a mystery. On one hand, the explanation they are going to roll with, it seems, is that they were a Slitherer experiment and had Arval implanted in them. But that doesn't really come up in game. Everyone else who got experimented on is scared by that in a really deep way and Shez is just very normal. Like what would've worked better is if Arval just chose them because they were someone close to Arval and close to Sothis, as killing Sothis is their goal. It's kind of a mess though.

As for Three Houses and CF stuff only, CF is the only route I've fully played because I'm that much of an Edelgard loyalist. I mean there's a lot of discussion and maybe I just like marginalia, but I felt like enough was there to give a broad picture. The Nabateans and Agarthans are mentioned. Edelgard brings up Nemesis and the war of liberation. The intro cutscene shows Rhea killing Nemesis over the Red Canyon Massacre. Sothis leaving Byleth isn't explained, but it's always been my theory that she does because it's the outcome she wanted. Sothis has some similar dialogue to Edelgard about cutting her own path, and a minor non game thing, but CF is the only route with a unique end theme, the Color of Sunrise. And given you can still romance Sothis on CF, she isn't gone, it's clearly her gift to Byleth, to finally be human. Also I never thought hunting down the slitherers had to be shown because they kind of suck as bad guys. They also suck in this game and the best bits are the drama between the other nations and the actual characters, not the Agarthans. The emotional core and satisfying stuff was defeating Dimitri and Rhea. Like as far as ending goes CF was pitch perfect for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

Also I never thought hunting down the slitherers had to be shown because they kind of suck as bad guys. They also suck in this game and the best bits are the drama between the other nations and the actual characters, not the Agarthans. The emotional core and satisfying stuff was defeating Dimitri and Rhea.

The only change I'd make, you wouldn't need to do any additional cutscenes or maps, is to in the lead-up to the final map of CF, have Arundel go "great I'll take my forces and attack from the side, you and your ilk go fight Rhea" and Edelgard says "Yeah OK" and then after he leaves Edelgard gives the order to pincer Arundel and his troops between themselves and Rhea, and then you fight him somewhere in the middle of the map. You can keep the "the Slitherer fight goes on in the background" ending since they're still around, but at least you get the satisfaction of loving that guy over.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Terper posted:

The only change I'd make, you wouldn't need to do any additional cutscenes or maps, is to in the lead-up to the final map of CF, have Arundel go "great I'll take my forces and attack from the side, you and your ilk go fight Rhea" and Edelgard says "Yeah OK" and then after he leaves Edelgard gives the order to pincer Arundel and his troops between themselves and Rhea, and then you fight him somewhere in the middle of the map. You can keep the "the Slitherer fight goes on in the background" ending since they're still around, but at least you get the satisfaction of loving that guy over.

That is a decent change. I would've done some more rearranging the battle for Garreg Mach is after Arianrhod. It becomes a three way between the Church and Slitherers. Though I do think that idea of loving him over in that way is satisfying too. I certainly get wanting to kill Arundel but he's def not final boss material to me, especially because part of what makes Edelgard so interesting to me as a character is that she is less concerned about direct revenge against her abusers as she is addressing the larger issues.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah for the change I'd make, killing him in the middle of the map would have Edelgard give a satisfied sigh and have a moment of silence, before saying "Good job everyone, now focus on the Immaculate One." Not a final boss, but a stepping stone to it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

As for Three Houses and CF stuff only, CF is the only route I've fully played because I'm that much of an Edelgard loyalist. I mean there's a lot of discussion and maybe I just like marginalia, but I felt like enough was there to give a broad picture. The Nabateans and Agarthans are mentioned. Edelgard brings up Nemesis and the war of liberation. The intro cutscene shows Rhea killing Nemesis over the Red Canyon Massacre. Sothis leaving Byleth isn't explained, but it's always been my theory that she does because it's the outcome she wanted. Sothis has some similar dialogue to Edelgard about cutting her own path, and a minor non game thing, but CF is the only route with a unique end theme, the Color of Sunrise. And given you can still romance Sothis on CF, she isn't gone, it's clearly her gift to Byleth, to finally be human. Also I never thought hunting down the slitherers had to be shown because they kind of suck as bad guys. They also suck in this game and the best bits are the drama between the other nations and the actual characters, not the Agarthans. The emotional core and satisfying stuff was defeating Dimitri and Rhea. Like as far as ending goes CF was pitch perfect for me.

I saw a screenshot from some mobile game where Seteth explicitly says Sothis herself had decreed that no one was to bring her back. Not sure she specifically wanted you to kill her wayward daughter, but she is clearly entirely on board with the broad strokes of Edelgard's desire to liberate Fódlan. Humanity being her last gift for Byleth, and shattering her own heart so no one can use it for further necromancy, does totally track.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
just got Hilda/Leonie's B-support and holy poo poo how is every support convo with hilda this loving gay

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao I just got to part 2 in Azure Blaze and I gotta say I appreciate how the game just goes "hey you haven't fought the Deer at all, so here, you can just have all the recruitable Deer characters at once, free of charge. Except Lysithea; you don't get Lysithea on the route where you get Thunderbrand for free."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 4, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Arval being an Agarthan who has 'issues' with Sothis and the Nabteans is no twist at all- everyone who watches the opening War of Heroes cutscene can tell that. Arval not being an Agarthan god or anything, but rather a normal Agarthan 'human' from back before even the War of Heroes, who watched the colonization and genocide of his people and wants revenge for that over a millenia later is neat, and the fact they provides a direct counterpoint to Thales' 'leadership', was willing to risk their life as rearguard for their allies (even if they didn't respect Nemesis and co either) and is even somewhat sympathetic makes them a good addition.

Giving the Agarthans more than just Thales' bullshit is good, because I really doubt the conflict between Sothis and the Agarthans was as simple as 'Sothis was as pure as snow, who arrived on the planet entirely to help the inhabitants with no other motives and the Agarthans were just inherently evil and had to be genocided', esp with the Sothis we get in Hopes who shows a side of herself that is a lot less...chaos-gremlin and a lot more violently-controlling. It might be hard to imagine having to fight back against Three Houses Sothis, but resisting Three Hopes Sothis (who seems to have of her memories back) seems entirely reasonable. I do very much wish that Sothis stayed around after you diplo'd Byleth, though.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 4, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
How much does Sothis show up in a playthrough where you fail to recruit Byleth? I assume the overarching byleth plot points are the same across the board where every route has the rear end kicking, the draw-and-sothis-takeover, and the recruitment and sothis is never directly heard from again

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Man, the Flayn paralogue in this one isn't subtle at all. May as well have just come out and said "I'm a thousand year-old dragon."

I guess since she wasn't kidnapped this time she's less guarded about secrets.

I mean. Flayn was never really subtle. She's hilariously bad about keeping secrets.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

How much does Sothis show up in a playthrough where you fail to recruit Byleth? I assume the overarching byleth plot points are the same across the board where every route has the rear end kicking, the draw-and-sothis-takeover, and the recruitment and sothis is never directly heard from again

Only shows up for one major scene, and like two small scenes.

If you don't recruit Byleth, Jeralt dies protecting Byleth. Sothis grabs the reins, kills one of your NPC allies and peaces out. From there, Sothis guilt-trips Byleth into permanently handing over their body ("Had you not scorned my strength, your father would yet live. There is a way to solve this woe. Just grant me your worldly flesh and vengeance shall be yours.") and from there Sothis-using-Byleth-as-a-suit comes back one last time in Aeliel and fights Shez, ending with Byleth's sword breaking and their body giving out mid-fight, killing them.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 4, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd probably agree that Three Hopes is better about the whole "we don't have enough plot beats for three separate stories so we just portioned our standard plot out into three different routes" but this Shez thing was just one big shaggy dog story. I think it would probably be a tighter story if you just played as your respective House Lord.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I did that on Scarlet Blaze, and what happened was Byleth Bylethly mourns Jeralt's death; "I'm fine, he died a mercenary's death," then there's a scene in the Sothis dimension where she tells them they're not fine and all and that they want revenge, to which Byleth grudgingly agrees. There's a bit of back-and-forth where Sothis says she could take over Byleth's body by force, but they'd rather have them submit willingly, and Byleth eventually agrees to sit on the throne.

Then they disappear until chapter 14, where after the dust has settled, they show up and are clearly wholly subsumed by Sothis, who says you must be made to suffer for "slaying the father of this vessel." Totally alone with no backup, and they went down like a chump. Afterwards Arval says he doesn't really get why, but he feels a huge sense of relief like you've fulfilled whatever Destiny he was always going on about, and the two of you are hunky dory. I've been skipping past the spoiler chat concerning him, but I do assume he's less pleased if you let them live.

Additionally, plot spoilers specific to Scarlet Blaze: Claude betrays you in chapter 14, which I assume happens on either storyline, but he gets a cutscene with possessed Byleth where it sounds like it was their idea, and he thanks them for providing some kind of information. What it is is never revealed. Also Edelgard laments that she never got to know the Ashen Demon in her support with Hubert, and notes that she was oddly drawn to them, possibly due to the influence of their crests. She presumably has a different version of that support with a recruited Byleth.

E: Also you can't recruit Leonie if you killed Jeralt. You still get the option to recruit her, but towards the end of the chapter, she says she doesn't want help from murderers and dies from sheer spite, getting you a big "side mission failed" message.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 4, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

I'd probably agree that Three Hopes is better about the whole "we don't have enough plot beats for three separate stories so we just portioned our standard plot out into three different routes" but this Shez thing was just one big shaggy dog story. I think it would probably be a tighter story if you just played as your respective House Lord.

I think this would probably be better storywise, but I also think that they're also probably better off using Byleth/Shez/etc just because I think a lot of players would get upset if they were playing a character like Edelgard but didn't get a say in any of her plans. Honestly, I'd probably be a bit irritated myself if you had me playing the faction leader and all I could do as the Emperor was lead the faction down the single set of rails established by the storyline.

Making the PC into somebody like Shez or Byleth is a good choice because it sets it up so that your skills as a murderhobo earn you a place that's high enough to be involved in everything that happens, but low enough that you don't actually get a say in what happens.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Khizan posted:

I think this would probably be better storywise, but I also think that they're also probably better off using Byleth/Shez/etc just because I think a lot of players would get upset if they were playing a character like Edelgard but didn't get a say in any of her plans. Honestly, I'd probably be a bit irritated myself if you had me playing the faction leader and all I could do as the Emperor was lead the faction down the single set of rails established by the storyline.

This is how linear RPGs have functioned without self-insert characters since time immemorial, and how FE functioned before, what, New Mystery? It's not really that weird.

Hell, even in Awakening, your self-insert Robin was supposed to be a genius tactician who was planning your entire strategy but you pretty much followed linear rails determined by the plot.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Khizan posted:

I mean yeah, that’s just what a story is. You could argue hiding info from the player that the protagonist knows, is a lazy trick to build drama, but you’re essentially complaining that a video game about Julius Caesar forces you to fight in Gaul and cross the Rubicon

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kanos posted:

This is how linear RPGs have functioned without self-insert characters since time immemorial, and how FE functioned before, what, New Mystery? It's not really that weird.

Hell, even in Awakening, your self-insert Robin was supposed to be a genius tactician who was planning your entire strategy but you pretty much followed linear rails determined by the plot.

I'll have you know placing Morgan in range of as many enemy units as possible and hitting End Turn is a masterful grasp of tactics, thank you very much

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but most RPG plots are reactive, where the protagonist is spurred into action by the villain, or some supernatural event, or even just a guide showing up and pointing them on the way. Edelgard and Claude are active in a way that is not typical for RPG protagonists, and definitely not for Fire Emblem lords, and even Dimitri is wholly driven by his past trauma. They start out as fully-fledged characters with drives and ambitions shaped by their pasts.

Previous lords either had simple backstories and were just hanging around until bandits showed up and started trouble, and one thing led to another and they wound up facing an evil dragon cult bent on world destruction without any moral conundrums more complex than "what is the best way to protect people," or only learn of their destiny after the story begins, like Lyn receiving envoys from her grandfather, or Micaiah figuring out who the voice in her head is.

A big part of the tension of Three Houses is that you don't know what the lords are thinking. The whole Flame Emperor plotline, or taking a leap of faith and betting on Crimson Flower, or the first appearance of the Boar would not have been the plot points they were if you were viewing them from the lord's perspective all along.

Like, either Edelgard's story would start with a nightmare montage of the Tragedy of Duscur and the Enbarr dungeons and White Clouds would have no plot twists, or you'd be playing as her in media res doing all these weird calculated moves for no apparent reason, and having the events that drive her decisions filled in later. Both I think would be significantly weaker stories.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just did a mission as Balthus where it was suggested to be level 29 and he is

And he killed everything on Normal in 2 hits and I think I love this dude because lmao fist punch fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I did that on Scarlet Blaze, and what happened was Byleth Bylethly mourns Jeralt's death; "I'm fine, he died a mercenary's death," then there's a scene in the Sothis dimension where she tells them they're not fine and all and that they want revenge, to which Byleth grudgingly agrees. There's a bit of back-and-forth where Sothis says she could take over Byleth's body by force, but they'd rather have them submit willingly, and Byleth eventually agrees to sit on the throne.

Then they disappear until chapter 14, where after the dust has settled, they show up and are clearly wholly subsumed by Sothis, who says you must be made to suffer for "slaying the father of this vessel." Totally alone with no backup, and they went down like a chump. Afterwards Arval says he doesn't really get why, but he feels a huge sense of relief like you've fulfilled whatever Destiny he was always going on about, and the two of you are hunky dory. I've been skipping past the spoiler chat concerning him, but I do assume he's less pleased if you let them live.

Additionally, plot spoilers specific to Scarlet Blaze: Claude betrays you in chapter 14, which I assume happens on either storyline, but he gets a cutscene with possessed Byleth where it sounds like it was their idea, and he thanks them for providing some kind of information. What it is is never revealed. Also Edelgard laments that she never got to know the Ashen Demon in her support with Hubert, and notes that she was oddly drawn to them, possibly due to the influence of their crests. She presumably has a different version of that support with a recruited Byleth.

E: Also you can't recruit Leonie if you killed Jeralt. You still get the option to recruit her, but towards the end of the chapter, she says she doesn't want help from murderers and dies from sheer spite, getting you a big "side mission failed" message.

Huh that's interestingly a huge divergence from the other SB. In that version Claude remains loyal, you save him and Hilda from getting Dimitri'd and the Empire Alliance pact is still going, though both sides are worried about it's future. That also explain why the dialogue in Zahras felt like it didn't fit the route I was on, it'd match the bad route perfectly though. And yeah if Byleth is alive Hubert is annoyed that Edelgard is so into them and is probably coming up with a policy to ban swordswomen with mysterious powers.