Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shine posted:

Got the Varjo Aero, but I might send it back. The lenses and clarity are absolutely amazing and I love the fit, but the vertical FOV is really tight compared to the Index and even the Quest 2. I'll take another day or two to decide.

Now that I've got my lens adapters for it I find that it's difficult for me to justify going back to the Index outside of how easy the great audio is. At first I was like you to where I thought it was great with just how flatly clear everything is, but the friction of the audio and having to wear contacts of glasses in it made it worse than just using the Index.

Have you noticed how the Varjo Aero 'projects' your view though? I always get the sensation that I'm maybe 7~ or so inches further forward, like my FOV is higher somehow even though there is no distortion. I've not been able to ask anyone else with the Index about the switch to the Aero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Pretty chuffed found a brand new og Nvidia 3070 for retail at Best Buy maybe there's something to this crypto crash thing here's to hoping. Eat poo poo cryptocucks I hope you stay dead this time and while you're at it take that nft garbage with you if you'd be so kind

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KakerMix posted:

Now that I've got my lens adapters for it I find that it's difficult for me to justify going back to the Index outside of how easy the great audio is. At first I was like you to where I thought it was great with just how flatly clear everything is, but the friction of the audio and having to wear contacts of glasses in it made it worse than just using the Index.

Have you noticed how the Varjo Aero 'projects' your view though? I always get the sensation that I'm maybe 7~ or so inches further forward, like my FOV is higher somehow even though there is no distortion. I've not been able to ask anyone else with the Index about the switch to the Aero.

Yeah, it does have a very "3D" feeling, moreso than the other headsets I've tried. Like, I'll look at my Steam Library window on the virtual desktop and it'll look like the images are popping out or sinking in; it's neat.

I saw a Pimax 8K used on Amazon, so I ordered that as a comparison. I'll mess with both in my sims and keep whichever I like more. I assume the Pimax will easily win in FOV but lose in clarity and jank-fuckery. But yeah, the clarity of the Aero is really loving good. With a higher FOV it'd be the perfect current-gen headset, visually.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i haven't touched my quest much at all in 2022, anything come out this year that i need to check out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nope

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Amazing how many hundreds of millions is being poured into vr hardware when everything peaked with bear saber lmao

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I feel like my favorite games have been regular old games with good VR mods. I just beat the RE2 remake in VR, and it was incredible.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Amazing how many hundreds of millions is being poured into vr hardware when everything peaked with bear saber lmao

whoa, I can't believe VR peaked when I made this video 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3ICW3bhtk

I'm honored

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TIP posted:

I'm honored

lol did you really make that video? It’s good.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nuts and Gum posted:

lol did you really make that video? It’s good.

yes, thank you :tipshat:

I used to work in VFX, now I'm a VR developer

I should probably go ahead and make a VR game called bear saber where you have bear arms and you have to use them to flip a lightsaber around to music as if you're playing with devil sticks

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TIP posted:

I should probably go ahead and make a VR game called bear saber where you have bear arms and you have to use them to flip a lightsaber around to music as if you're playing with devil sticks

I always dreamed of working in vfx, never could learn anything in after effects though. I peaked learning how to face swap people in PS cs2 I think?

Anyway I think that’s a good idea for a bear saber game! My mind went directly to violence, but honestly it’d be more fun to maul people with big meaty paws than a light sword.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I always dreamed of working in vfx, never could learn anything in after effects though. I peaked learning how to face swap people in PS cs2 I think?

You lucked out, it's a terrible industry!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Can you make a VR port of Enviro-Bear 2000?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thoatse posted:

Pretty chuffed found a brand new og Nvidia 3070 for retail at Best Buy maybe there's something to this crypto crash thing here's to hoping. Eat poo poo cryptocucks I hope you stay dead this time and while you're at it take that nft garbage with you if you'd be so kind

I decided to take a peek at 3070 listings on Amazon after hearing about crypto crashing and when I notice it wasn't over a thousand dollars I just smashed that buy button. Wasn't going to look around or ask questions cause for all I know in the time I see if its a good card or not they would've been sold out and being flipped for 2 grand or some poo poo.

I still only play Skyrim VR :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would play bear saber

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i haven't touched my quest much at all in 2022, anything come out this year that i need to check out?

Ultrawings 2

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Remember when I posted this one month ago?

--

Well, we just lost all that we 'gained' and more:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pico Neo 3 display at a local game shop in China I saw today, they just started popping up in game shops recently, I'm at this shop probably once a month and never saw it before.

This is really the first time I've seen any headset that's actually for gaming sold offline here. Maybe it really will put some pressure on the Quest in the steamvr numbers, the Quest isn't nearly as popular because it doesn't work without a VPN.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Would play bear saber

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

VR Megathread: Simpler gameplay with focus on shooting

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TIP posted:

VR Megathread: Simpler gameplay with focus on shooting

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Snapped up a 3070 before any idiots get it into their head to buy up all the stock and flip it, or before the cryptocurrency market takes off again (lol). I can basically sell off my 2060 Super and cover half the cost, so it's kind of a no-brainer.

Now I can download one of those insane Skyrim Wabbajack packs with the fancy poo poo and actually play it. Hooray? Also I guess other stuff will run a lot better now.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Nock is pretty neat too but I keep coming back to Echo Arena (2300 games baybeee), GunRaiders, and now Pistol Whip.

Pistol Whip rules, my quads ache.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Devs don't seem to be paying attention to the things that make VR dope as gently caress, despite the fact that a bunch of things have been released that rule in different ways. I'm not sure why because it's pretty clear to me that you can be successful as long as you make something awesome, but devs seem to either be pulling back or just making different versions of Beat Saber or Pavlov

I will make more poo poo that rules though

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TIP posted:

get that satanic poo poo outta here

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just picked up a new VR headset and while I'm excited to try it out with the various flight sims that I play, I am really not looking forward to the need for constant tweaking of settings. I also don't plan on using this full-time and will still play flatscreen quite a bit.

Is there a recommended way to save application settings for VR and non-VR modes so that I can quickly swap between them? I imagine I'll want lowered graphic settings for VR but I do not want to change this back-and-forth manually. Is there any software that can help with this or is it on a per-application basis?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

TIP posted:

I'm honored

Was that a zoo in thailand by any chance?
Looks exactly like the one I went to, with a bear that had the same chest pattern.

I just discovered the options for recording people using the quest app when casting. The green screen effect, and split screen view, it looks semi pro. Good for capturing friends and family doing VR for the first time.

I’ve had my quest 2 since release date a year and a half ago and I still use it more than ever. Work out apps like thrill of the fight, pistol whip, and oh shape are part of my routine. Multiplayer games like poker stars vr, population one, eleven table tennis, and space pirate trainer have unlimited replayability. And I discover new hidden gems on steam with pcvr when sales happen or humble bundles are out for vr, like Vertigo, Jet Island, The Morrigan, Paper Beast, Payday 2 VR. But even for quest native only games, there are still enough good games to keep one entertained. I also like replayed VR music videos. Got a playlist of about 30 of em.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 3, 2022

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Teeter posted:

I just picked up a new VR headset and while I'm excited to try it out with the various flight sims that I play, I am really not looking forward to the need for constant tweaking of settings. I also don't plan on using this full-time and will still play flatscreen quite a bit.

Is there a recommended way to save application settings for VR and non-VR modes so that I can quickly swap between them? I imagine I'll want lowered graphic settings for VR but I do not want to change this back-and-forth manually. Is there any software that can help with this or is it on a per-application basis?

I’m not sure about flight sims, (I think IL-2 does) but most of the racing sims I play automatically keep graphics settings separate when launching either the vr or flat screen version.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just picked up Into The Radius and God drat this is the most immersive poo poo. What a joy it is.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I’ve been looking at Vox Machinae this steam sale for my stompy robot fix. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I’ve been looking at Vox Machinae this steam sale for my stompy robot fix. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

Its good.
It got better as updates came.
Its worth a few bucks for sure, plus you can just refund the poo poo if not.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Vox is cool and good, also got into Iron Rebellion which is still pretty early access with a small player base but the core mechanics are rad and the devs seem pretty committed and hands-on. Also the vr mod for MW5 is legit

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was going to try Vox Machinea but heard the jumpjet mechanics were kinda hit and miss and you need to use them a lot.
How is World Of Mechs, looks good but kinda weird with the cartoony cel shaded explosions?

I tried out Wander but for some reason it stops responding after 5 mins of wandering.
Doesnt crash, I just cant move or go anywhere else.
Have tried it on 3 separate occasions and the same thing, with checking my internet to make sure nothing was weird.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Teeter posted:

MSFS and DCS both have separate settings for VR which they automatically apply when you enter/launch in VR mode. That said, I was never able to go back to flatscreen when after I tried VR, it's just so much more fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

picked up into the radius. I am not necessarily a survival horror person by nature. Any tips for starting out?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 4, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

picked up into the radius. I am not necessarily a survival horror person by nature. Any tips for starting out?

It's less horror and more survival. You're very capable of dealing with threats, especially as your gear improves.

Be sure to calibrate your height and, most importantly, arm length. The game is pretty specific about where you move your hands, and you also have arm slots for small items (flashlight and knife for me).

Food and drink all do the same thing, restore max stamina. Each one just does different amounts; the game doesn't track hunger and thirst individually.

Monsters can see a pretty realistic distance away and will spot you in the open from half a map away.

Spawn (tentacle spiders) are really annoying until you realize that they are stunned for a few seconds after a missed jump, you can pretty easily sidestep that jump, and they die to two knife hits.

Sell loot items by throwing them into the shop bin.

Artifacts don't usually spawn IN anomalies, but rather in the spaces between clusters of them.

You can reverse grip with a flashlight by pressing B or something to do this:

Preparing for a run is half the game. Enjoy the tedium of loading magazines and organizing gear.

Weapons can only be manually repaired by cleaning if they are orange and above. Anything in the red needs to be repaired in the train car for money.

You have two longarm slots: over your right shoulder, and strapped to the side of your pack. You can't access the pack one without pulling the pack off first.

Your pack will automatically return to your back if you move away.

The base is completely safe at all times no matter how spooky it looks, especially at night.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you stick a lit up flashlight in your pouch on your left side it will keep working and free up a hand to do MGS-style knife gun tactics

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Piell posted:

If you stick a lit up flashlight in your pouch on your left side it will keep working and free up a hand to do MGS-style knife gun tactics

You can also find lamps that light up in front of you when on a chest slot, and head lamps. There's also gun flashlights later and an artifact that gives you night vision.

Knives are also super loving fragile and will deteriorate rapidly if you use them to pop fragment orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Just gave airlink a try after no having used it for a while and I can't seem to connect. The Quest tells me I am connected to the computer when I boot it up, but when I click "Launch" in airplay, I get the three dots for a few seconds but then are kicked back to the oculus home screen. Nothing in my wi-fi setup has changed (computer hard-wired and in the same room as the quest), so has anything changed with airlink in the past few updates that I should look at/adjust?