Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Just got a promotion at work, but my manager said they weren’t blown away by my interview and it revealed a lot of areas for improvement. I was real excited to get this and thought I’d done quite well, but yeah just feeling really quite deflated to be honest. I think I might actually have some imposter syndrome which I’m very much not used to!

You'd have to wonder why they'd promote you then. It's always about money - they're probably just giving you the full self-esteem-ectomy so that you don't try to advocate for a larger pay bump than they're offering.

Pretty sure I got an extra 5-10k with my recent promotion salary bump simply because I didn't notice my manager's message with a salary offer for like a day so it looked like I was playing hardball with the silent treatment...

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

Just got a promotion at work, but my manager said they weren’t blown away by my interview and it revealed a lot of areas for improvement. I was real excited to get this and thought I’d done quite well, but yeah just feeling really quite deflated to be honest. I think I might actually have some imposter syndrome which I’m very much not used to!

gently caress d'you care what they think of you?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should always go around absolutely certain in your decision making and general competence, only physical reality should impede you in your inexorable quest to have every take imaginable with complete confidence that you are correct.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ironically, getting Imposter Syndrome is when you know you've made it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You should always go around absolutely certain in your decision making and general competence, only physical reality should impede you in your inexorable quest to have every take imaginable with complete confidence that you are correct.
That and a dad that works at a newspaper gets you a weekly column.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That and a dad that works at a newspaper gets you a weekly column.

In which case the physical reality impeding you should be the blade of a guillotine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Toby Young survives because not even a steel blade backed by weighted mahogany and the force of gravity wants to touch him.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I got a promotion despite spending the last two years basically watching YouTube videos. Jokes on me now I probably need to make an effort.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Guardian comments section is turning on him, for sure

lol

lolll

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/04/keir-starmer-labour-brexit-plan-mouse-policy-afraid

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The exact comments I'd just been reading!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean in fairness I highly doubt the guardian readers were ever going to vote for him anyway, I think there are a lot of people who are defined by who they will performatively not vote for.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Every time I go up a rung I'm in panic mode that this will be the move where its discovered that I don't actually do anything. Now I have direct reports so will probably just offload everything onto them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jakabite posted:

Congratulations! Sorry about the imposter syndrome; it sucks poo poo and knowing that everyone else gets it too can be a salve but is rarely a cure. It definitely sounds like your manager is playing games with your self esteem for either budgetary or control freak reasons which is not a great sign to get from your (new?) boss

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like we had two years or so when the UK government was in intense talks with the EU where they tried to get a better deal without having freedom of movement, single market, or customs union. But I'm sure that keir starmer will show up to brussels and just tell them to sort it out and it will magically get better.

During that time we had two years of politicians saying "this current deal that the Government has negotiated is awful. Now, if I were in charge it would be better!"

Like that's how Boris got the PM job. Stammer is just doing a poor copy of this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

You should have spent the last few years taking a duck to work, that way your manager would just say leave the duck at home and no further feedback

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I got a promotion despite spending the last two years basically watching YouTube videos. Jokes on me now I probably need to make an effort.

:respek:

keep punching joe posted:

Every time I go up a rung I'm in panic mode that this will be the move where its discovered that I don't actually do anything. Now I have direct reports so will probably just offload everything onto them.

So far, the offloading work has been only intermittently successful for me, and I ended up having to bring my laptop with me on my holidays in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago :vomarine:

I'm giving myself about 6 months to reestablish the work-life balance where I can spend most of my time just chilling and listening to podcasts, otherwise it's time to hit da bricks

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Tarnop posted:

Congratulations! Sorry about the imposter syndrome; it sucks poo poo and knowing that everyone else gets it too can be a salve but is rarely a cure. It definitely sounds like your manager is playing games with your self esteem for either budgetary or control freak reasons which is not a great sign to get from your (new?) boss

Yeah, we're all just playing a part and hoping we don't get found out. I've spent 75% of working hours during lock down playing video games and blagging it, but have somehow managed to move jobs twice and double my salary in that time. Just be likable and amenable to people around you, make sure you look good in front of the big cheeses, and you'll be fine.

Shame your boss sounds like a dick, though. He's either trying to motivate you or underpay you (probably both). There's not much you can do about that, other than ignore it and have confidence in your worth.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are a lot of people who are defined by who they will performatively not vote for.

Hah, yeah those Guardian comments are notorious for that. Good thing we're not like that ha ha

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks everyone, very nice to come back to some words of encouragement! I actually quite like who I work for and have got on really well with my boss so far so it was a bit of a kick in the teeth, and did strike me as an odd way to announce a promotion. I’d have saved any interview feedback til we were actually feeding back, personally, rather than stick a really negative note on the announcement.

Anyway it’s acted as the kick I need to get back to looking for video editing work and properly start on my next documentary so that’s good I suppose.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Hah, yeah those Guardian comments are notorious for that. Good thing we're not like that ha ha

tbh I'm still voting Labour even if Starmer's dogshit, my local MP is a good lad

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Thanks everyone, very nice to come back to some words of encouragement! I actually quite like who I work for and have got on really well with my boss so far so it was a bit of a kick in the teeth, and did strike me as an odd way to announce a promotion. I’d have saved any interview feedback til we were actually feeding back, personally, rather than stick a really negative note on the announcement.

Anyway it’s acted as the kick I need to get back to looking for video editing work and properly start on my next documentary so that’s good I suppose.

Honestly the main thing I've learned from my time in the cold during covid was that employers expect most people claiming to be competent at something have never touched it in their life. So if you have actually done the things you've said you've done you are part of the elite skillz crowd.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

While I will performatively not vote for a lot of people there are many other, even more tiresome facets to my personality in addition to that!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Oh my look at all those Tory enablers lol

A long toime ago I got a 3 player chess set off ebay. It had a neat board design, very cleverly designed to allow three sets of pieces converging in the center.

It was the single most argument causing game I've ever played. The ancient game of chess it turns out is precisely ballanced for 2 players. Being put in check by one player while the other takes your queen is extraordinarily infuriating. Games would start with 2 of the players ganging up on the other, taking them out and then just playing regular 2 player chess on a weird game board.

I bring this up because one time i tried to play fair and equally target both other players. This naturally led to me being the one who got taken out first lol. It was an impossible game to play fairly, and it really comes to mind whenever i see Starmer trying to triangulate like he does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the game should be improved by giving all participants nuclear weapons and then the entire game can be played out as a big argument.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jakabite posted:

You got the promotion. :thumbsup:

Therefore they chose you and so any snark by them afterwards is their own loving stupidity! :colbert:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Genuinely miserable stuff. Is this what the sensible centrist imagination is offering.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1543859657613004800

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

A long time ago I got a 3 player chess set off ebay. It had a neat board design, very cleverly designed to allow three sets of pieces converging in the center.

It was the single most argument causing game I've ever played. The ancient game of chess it turns out is precisely balanced for 2 players. Being put in check by one player while the other takes your queen is extraordinarily infuriating. Games would start with 2 of the players ganging up on the other, taking them out and then just playing regular 2 player chess on a weird game board.

1: e4; k4; gently caress you both, throws board off table

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Cut vat on energy bills lol. From what, the 5% it's already at? To what, nothing? So a maximum savings of 5%, when bills are going up by what is it now, 60%?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
1.1k likes. Pathetic

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Cut vat on energy bills lol. From what, the 5% it's already at? To what, nothing? So a maximum savings of 5%, when bills are going up by what is it now, 60%?

They saw how well Rishis big fuel tax giveaway (£5 off every tank!!) went and wanted a slice of that action.

PR stunt of Keith topping up an energy meter that isn't his, when?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They couldn't even think of four things before they had to get to "cut small business rates" and "build British!!!"

I shouldn't expect anything better but I'm inordinately depressed by that. They are worthless.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

Genuinely miserable stuff. Is this what the sensible centrist imagination is offering.

Insulating homes is a good idea tbh so long as it’s free for every home with no means testing. Which I doubt it will be but eh. I mean, that’s exactly what Insulate Britain were causing disruption for, a straightforward and eminently affordable (for government) solution to reduce energy usage.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

peanut- posted:

Small dick energy at work, truly aspirational. :rolleyes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Small dick energy bills have really gone up, that's why I'm spending so much

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a bit weird

https://twitter.com/undauntedauthor/status/1543962154528825345/

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
It almost looks like a balanced and respectful email written from one human to another

wiiiieeeerrrrd

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IDK, receiving an email from an MP that I've been slagging off on Twitter seems a little odd. Doesn't he have better things to do?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Corbyn's Brexit Minister in "Continuing Corbyn's Brexit Policy" Shocker

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I got an email from an mp because of tweeting at them I would frame it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys