Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Welp, people asked for more action

It's unavoidable that the authors style and sense of humor is going to be a core part of how the strip feels so the wordplay isn't going to change. The action does help and gives a chance to draw more cartoonish things, the throwaway Bluto knockout is great and things like the troll in the shadows are well done. The knockout shot is good and overall the panel pacing is much better than the Brutus strip. When you get one day a week to tell a story in a strip let's not waste real estate on dragging out dialogue and then denying us the simple minded pleasure of a guy getting socked.

I'd say it felt a bit weird to have somebody who clearly respects the material and is eagerly learning as much as he can about it to work references to it's long and ridiculous history in and then do something like remember that Poopdeck Pappy exists to make a very anti-Popeye dark humor joke like "the punchline is my father abandoned me." He DID, but Popeye is such a kind-hearted doofus he thinks well of his pappy. Better to remember that in Thimble Theater that Olive would throw or take a punch same as the fellas. It'd be weird to keep having strips where the punchline involves a punch and cut away before it happens. Popeye doesn't need violence to exist but it's certainly part of what he's best known for: highly entertaining cartoon violence and incredibly goofy and pretty funny dialogue and situations. Even more then that the cartoons popularized the spinach beatdowns but Thimble Theater has plenty of violence for comedy and the occasional extended beatdown. So I was worried with the first several Sundays that Popeye had been inherited by somebody who was clearly a fan but somehow didn't understand half of the appeal.

So to see Randy get into the swing of it and have some cartooning fun is wonderful. The tone is going to remain his, Something Positive and all, but if every strip is this good then it's in the upper half of newspaper quality. I hope he can swing in a Whaler Joe + Popeye strip sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Ballard Street is so good. Nelson living his best life there.

Haraiso Days

--

I have to admit I've come to like Tsundere Government Worker.

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

#7: Chicken Thighs in White Wine Vinegar

--

(This was Summer 2020.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

she's no Cyber Tentacle Captain Witch

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I think I live on Ballard Street. In every house.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It was a given that a tiny tweak on one non-punchline from the Winkerbean wedding reception wasn't going to be enough to give me peace. So I did something about it.

It...didn't end well.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 4, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Vikings

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

You could cut the tension with a knife.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 27, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
No Crabgrass on Sundays I guess

Big Nate

Old School Peanuts (Aug 15, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 25-26, 1991)

No Blind Alley today

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Zelda

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which one's Floyd?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

The joke where she was giving the bar a hard time because she was in entirely the wrong place was good.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tiggum posted:

The Beatles, specifically, are irrelevant to the joke. It was just using the word "bridge" in the musical sense.

Thanks, I assumed it had some kind of famous music video where they were on a bridge, but I couldn't find it on youtube.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cracki

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/3/02

Brenda Starr 1/23/49

1. Hooboy, that crocodile in panel four.
2. "Turtleneck Torgan" is not really a terrifying gangster name.

Smokey Stover 11/14/48

Everyday Movies 4/30/35

"By golly, the things women wear nowadays."

I'm assuming these guys are clothes peddlers, who used to travel city residential areas in wagons or on foot, buying old clothes to resell.

Dick Tracy Contest didn't run on Sundays so it'll be back tomorrow.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

So when does this turn into a Battle Royale situation?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

If I recall correctly, they made the toddler a mermaid to counteract the rapid aging brought on by her time spent as a bird (because mermaids age slower). They really truly operate by "The Gorillas Will Freeze In Winter" logic.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 4, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 27, 1952)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Look at Aleta in that last panel. All according to plan...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Happy Easter in July, A Better Holiday Than Today

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

(July 1, 1926, Sanford Tousey)

Mutts

Sally Forth, featuring, for the first time in a while, the swarm that Ted emerged from.

Skippy (September 21, 1934)

Peanuts (July 7, 1975)

I never got around to mentioning the reason Sparky was doing the Powder Puff Derby story: his second wife Jean was a licensed pilot who participated in the Derby for several years with her mother.

She also used to call him Sweet Baboo, until he borrowed that for Sally's relationship with Linus and she had to come up with another pet name. “You didn’t give Sparky ideas, he took them.”

Anyway, on the off chance I amused a few of you with fake Funky Winkerbean last night, it's time for the genuine article again to piss you off again with "Wasn't that COVID the worst? Sure glad that's over with!"

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 2, 1939)

Out Our Way (March 30-April 1, 1939)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I want to see this for real.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If you do, put it in a holder.

A few years back, I took an entire box of sparklers - the small ones - and held them together, and lit them.

Found out the painful way that, all bundled together, they don't burn nice & slow & even: they reach critical mass in 1/100th of a second & flare up all at once. Took three weeks for my hand to heal & I had scars for over a year.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Oh wow, Zelda’s back? :aaa:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Green Intern posted:

If I recall correctly, they made the toddler a mermaid to counteract the rapid aging brought on by her time spent as a bird (because mermaids age slower). They really truly operate by "The Gorillas Will Freeze In Winter" logic.

It was also revealed about a week before that storyline that they had a working youth serum that is as easy to use, and has as few side effects as water. At least, I assume that's the case, because they use it to routinely rejuvenate their genetics lab test subjects.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PainterofCrap posted:

If you do, put it in a holder.

A few years back, I took an entire box of sparklers - the small ones - and held them together, and lit them.

Found out the painful way that, all bundled together, they don't burn nice & slow & even: they reach critical mass in 1/100th of a second & flare up all at once. Took three weeks for my hand to heal & I had scars for over a year.

This is a sparkler bomb and they’re a ton of fun when done correctly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

csammis posted:

Oh wow, Zelda’s back? :aaa:

Also, the characters have five fingers now.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Romance is a thorny issue for Lottie. She’s never quite put the pieces together. All in time. Whatever will be will be.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

maltesh posted:

Speaking of Mary Worth and Wilbur Weston, the "I Will Fight You" podcast just released an episode on the Mary Worth comic strip today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoqkULwWLE

Talks about the strip basically up to the events of Early January. I knew about that cruise ship misadventure, but I had no idea about all the others.

Thank you for posting this, I listened to it while cooking and it was a lot of fun revisiting the horrors of Wilbur.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Also, the characters have five fingers now.

:toot: im glad she ripped the bandaid off the new art looked so weird with 4 fingers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The_Other posted:

Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

As in high school employee? Or whatever they call UK schools.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As with everything, it has been privatised.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mister Kingdom posted:

I want to see this for real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0irlahNGgO0

Is this enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar