Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The rear end on the touring does look so loving good too. I wish they would offer the manual with it though. (not that it will be here before 25 years anyway though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I live in the middle of nowhere. It's absurdly unpopulated, and I'm surrounded by barley fields.

I leave my 2007 525D unlocked but with the doors closed of course, windows up, and boot shut.

Twice now, in a month, I have noticed that the boot of the car is open several hours or half a day after I've been out. There is no way I left it open.

Could wind trigger the finger switch/sensor under the boot lip to open the boot? It's definitely not a person opening it, nothing's been taken, nor moved around.

This morning I woke up with it open and it slightly damp inside the boot because some rain got in. Sigh. I've closed it, will blow it with warm air from my motorcycle dryer later to dry it out. Locked the car too this time, so that the boot stays shut.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Unless BMW brings an M3 Touring to the US.

0.0% chance of that happening

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Getting some misfire codes on my M3. Some pretty noticeable power loss on pulls too. I replaced the plugs around 16k miles ago. Since then I've tuned the car and then there was the whole thing where my charge cooler was leaking and some coolant almost definitely got into the engine. So I'm going to go ahead and grab some plugs that more suited for the tune since the others are probably fouled up a bit. Should I go ahead and replace the coil packs while I'm in there again?

I don't know why I didn't do the plugs when I did the charge cooler and charge pipes. You're like 80% of the way there.

e: gently caress it, ngk 97506 plugs and the oe delphi coils on the way. Taking a bit of a risk with Amazon over FCP Euro but I have time off next week so I need them fast. They're both off the delphi and NGK stores so hopefully I don't end up with counterfeit poo poo.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

SlapActionJackson posted:

In Q1 2022 BMW sold 279 Z4s and 835 X2s. Seems like they could go out on a limb and probably sell more than 100 M3 wagons per month.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/attachment/T0377933EN_US/533177

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SlapActionJackson posted:

I’m still hoping BMW is being coy like Audi was with the RS6 wagon initially.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I didn't realize that BMW bought the rights to the Alpina name back in March. Apparently BMW is moving all Alpina operations in house and Alpina cars will come directly from the factory starting in 2025.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

I’m still hoping BMW is being coy like Audi was with the RS6 wagon initially.

Rs6 was based on a model that was already federalized though. The big issue will be the crash regulation stuff. Also audi pretty early on did confirm it was coming to the US.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Is there really no overlap between the engine already being federalized and the regular touring going through the rigamarole? Probably have to be crash-tested but yeah even if they brought it over as a one year only special, they'd sell out of their allocation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Timing isn't supposed to look like that right?

Full log if anyone is interested. Just a quick pull onto the highway specifically to log it.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

I didn't realize that BMW bought the rights to the Alpina name back in March. Apparently BMW is moving all Alpina operations in house and Alpina cars will come directly from the factory starting in 2025.

It’s pretty old news but Alpina has been basically in house for years now, this just makes it official.

Every BMW shipped in the last 10 years has Alpina graphics in idrive from the factory.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wife went and replaced the rear tires because they were at the wear indicators, did not tell me first

:negative:

Still have never done a burnout in this car

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Hadlock posted:

Wife went and replaced the rear tires because they were at the wear indicators, did not tell me first

:sever:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

New tires do great burnouts - need to get the surface of the rubber roughed up for it to grip properly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I mean they do it in F1 so what're you waiting for??

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere. It's absurdly unpopulated, and I'm surrounded by barley fields.

I leave my 2007 525D unlocked but with the doors closed of course, windows up, and boot shut.

Twice now, in a month, I have noticed that the boot of the car is open several hours or half a day after I've been out. There is no way I left it open.

Could wind trigger the finger switch/sensor under the boot lip to open the boot? It's definitely not a person opening it, nothing's been taken, nor moved around.

This morning I woke up with it open and it slightly damp inside the boot because some rain got in. Sigh. I've closed it, will blow it with warm air from my motorcycle dryer later to dry it out. Locked the car too this time, so that the boot stays shut.

Our Wagon would do the same thing with the glass lid, it would pop itself, even when driving.
The switch got corrosion it in, so it would think that the button was being pressed. I disconnected the switch for a while, and then bought a new one to replace it.
Of course, instead of being able to switch it, the old part was jammed in the glass and I couldn't get it out without risking the glass. I was able to get into there with contact cleaner and it fixed the issue

You could try that, or get a new switch.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Also common for the harness to chafe/short from flexing open and closed, will cause stuff like that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The trunk harness flaked off some of the insulation on a hot wire one winter and introduced a ~1 amp short. Did not feel like playing "find the short" got rid of it shortly thereafter

It's probably a ghost though. Probably a new one hell bent on killing you, just hasn't figured out how to cut the brake lines yet. Watch out.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 4, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

blindjoe posted:

Our Wagon would do the same thing with the glass lid, it would pop itself, even when driving.
The switch got corrosion it in, so it would think that the button was being pressed. I disconnected the switch for a while, and then bought a new one to replace it.
Of course, instead of being able to switch it, the old part was jammed in the glass and I couldn't get it out without risking the glass. I was able to get into there with contact cleaner and it fixed the issue

You could try that, or get a new switch.

Thank you, this is good info.

If it ever becomes an issue while driving, I'll get the switch replaced.

For now, I've only noticed it happening while parked. I'm leaving it locked now, which resolves the issue of it opening while parked.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

:barf:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't ever see myself buying a BMW after m/y 2019 or so

Props to whatever eastern european design firm staffed entirety by 19 years olds for getting hired by BMW but things are not heading in a good direction

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol if you think this isn't zee chermans doing this to themselves

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol if you think this isn't zee chermans doing this to themselves

if you look at 4 series sales numbers, they are doing about as well as they ever did, and that's in the middle of new car availability hell.

Actual buyers don't seem to hate it as much as the internet would have you believe.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's manufactured outrage, and then there's the 4 series nostrils

People bought the Aztec too, did not mean it was a popular design, certainly did not age well (even though it looks related to the latest crop of BMW)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kill me now posted:

if you look at 4 series sales numbers, they are doing about as well as they ever did, and that's in the middle of new car availability hell.

Actual buyers don't seem to hate it as much as the internet would have you believe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2022-07-01/bmw-of-north-america-reports-q2-2022-u-s-sales-results - interesting 3 series sales dropped off a cliff this year; down from 14K Q2 last year to 6K this year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

These days it is pretty hard to claim that sales variances are driven by customer taste.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
X3/X5 dominate the hell out of that list and they still look rather "restrained". :smugdog:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

These days it is pretty hard to claim that sales variances are driven by customer taste.

Alternatively people are doing factory orders more than ever now and its showing which models/spec's people actually want. Not just what the dealers order for inventory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kill me now posted:

Alternatively people are doing factory orders more than ever now and its showing which models/spec's people actually want. Not just what the dealers order for inventory.

I don’t have immediate data but I imagine the true number of factory orders is still very small compared to total production. And lines are only so fungible and things get built based on what can be built these days.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The cars aren't being built so that they can support the Spartanburg and Chinese plants making SUVs because they're higher profit margin. BMW's entire supply chain system is basically slaved to the Spartanburg plant to keep it running at 120% and even their part mix is skewed to the most expensive variants.

Also going back to Alpina, they generally get their parts now through BMW's normal supply chain just like a regular plant.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So my current car (2016 228i xDive) is my first car since 1999-ish that has an automatic transmission. I find myself missing the hell out of a stick 90% of the time, and 10% the time I'm stuck in traffic and glad I have an automatic.

Just curious, does anyone actually bother to use the manual shift modes on their automatics? I never do but I might try to make myself to see if I can recapture some of that lovin' feelin'.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Similar boat; I recently got my first AT in like 17 years. Although I rarely miss it because city driving is dumb. Only time I miss it is when I want to floor it and pass someone on the highway but I gotta wait ten seconds for the thing to downshift enough times.

Have never bothered with the manual shifter in it though :shrug: Honestly I'm not even sure how they're supposed to be used lol.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The thing I use the paddle shifters for the most in my AT car is for engine braking down long hills. Actually trying to paddle shift it like a manual is a complete gimmick that ends up being worse than just letting it do its thing 99% of the time. Sometimes I'll flip it into sport mode for passing to keep the revs up.

There's no substitution for a real MT.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 6, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The 8 speed in my current 2016 535 (bought at the end of 2019) rips and I use the flappy paddles all the time (especially downshifting on the highway) but also upshifting when in sport mode during normal driving on streets when it sticks in gear for too long.

These things change gears fast enough now to not be so awful like the AT's of the past. I do miss the MT fun though and even things like the ease and speed of no look reversing and parking with one.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 6, 2022

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The only time I leave mine in normal auto mode is when the car is warming up. The Alfa's ZF 8sp is super responsive so I still find myself wanting to control the shift points and it has great paddles. I miss having a manual and will probably go back with the next car but the paddles give me enough of the fizz to hold me over.

Strangely though I really don't like DCTs. It's too... immediate. Too precise. The RPMs raise or lower almost instantly and I don't like it. My main experience is with Porsche PDK transmissions. The ZF 8sp is quick but it still takes time to go up or down gears. I think most see that as a negative but I like the imperfection.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t have immediate data but I imagine the true number of factory orders is still very small compared to total production. And lines are only so fungible and things get built based on what can be built these days.

I sell cars at a BMW/MINI dealership.

Its a lot of factory orders, I promise you.

More on the MINI side where its probably 2/3 of cars going out are factory orders. That will even go up as MINI has transitioned to an order only production set up. The cars in production now are the last ones that will be for inventory. Everything will have been built on a sold order going forward.

On the BMW side for cars that are in production right now for my dealership about 1/3 of them are factory orders.

Jymmybob posted:

The cars aren't being built so that they can support the Spartanburg and Chinese plants making SUVs because they're higher profit margin. BMW's entire supply chain system is basically slaved to the Spartanburg plant to keep it running at 120% and even their part mix is skewed to the most expensive variants.

Also going back to Alpina, they generally get their parts now through BMW's normal supply chain just like a regular plant.

There are also supply chain issue that are specifically effecting the European plants that don't effect Spartanburg. Ukrainian wiring harness production being a major one this year.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I ordered the plugs I needed off Amazon. Then I discovered that it wasn't actually NGK selling them and convinced myself that they're counterfeit. So I ordered more from FCP Euro and will return the others. I need them quickly so I did overnight shipping. They're supposed to be here today which is fine.

loving Fedex. There's a 5% chance they're on my doorstep now but that other 95% is that I won't get them for 3 days. Fedex fucks up every single thing I order on a timeline. I should have just walked into the indy shop here in town and shelled out the $30 per after tax. God drat.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So my current car (2016 228i xDive) is my first car since 1999-ish that has an automatic transmission. I find myself missing the hell out of a stick 90% of the time, and 10% the time I'm stuck in traffic and glad I have an automatic.

Just curious, does anyone actually bother to use the manual shift modes on their automatics? I never do but I might try to make myself to see if I can recapture some of that lovin' feelin'.

Not exactly? the same but I almost exclusively drive my DCT M3 in manual mode. In a 5 1/2 year span of ownership I would say 99% of the time has been done in manual mode. I find it very engaging to drive and I don't miss the "third pedal" really at all. If the manual in that car wasn't terrible garbage I would have probably considered it but those who say the manual is good are basically reading themselves the emperors new clothes and not recognizing which character they are in that book.

This is apparently the "fix" for the manual transmission:

:rubby:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Honestly lots of modern manuals have enough whizzbangs added to them like brake hold and auto-revmatching and automatic cruise control that they make the big pain points of driving stick in traffic way more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have to say the E92's DCT is extremely good, but you have to be ready to practice on it because it'll be clunky for a while until you get the hang of it. I drive the first 4 or so miles of the day in 'D' to warm up/keep revs down, and then push the M button and it's a manual without my left leg having to do anything once it's warm.

Agreed with Mr. Heroic that the manual in this car is Not The Right Match for the engine (and is a very uninspiring shift anyway).