Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Solefald posted:

80g of rice for a Hosomaki is usually ideal iirc. They are the easiest roll to make but will take a lot of tries to get perfect.

Anyway
My head chef has been away which means I've been running the place and I've decided to change up our Tonkotsu Ramen a bit and imo it looks sexy as gently caress (also tastes pretty darn good too). Any recommendations on presentation?

80g of rice and then how much filling? I think that's where I usually screw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I wanna try making oyakodon, but is shaoxing wine an ok substitute for sake in it? I already have the shaoxing wine, and I was wondering if I should buy a whole bottle of sake or if it's substitutable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The flavor is quite different. Sake is delicious so you should buy some anyway, plus if you're going to be cooking Japanese food on the regular it is a core ingredient you'll be using all the time. Basic rear end Gekkeikan is fine though I prefer Sho Chiku Bai's junmai for cooking. Both should be under $10 if you're in the US.

If you don't want to I'd just leave it out rather than subbing shaoxing. Especially if it's the crappy cooking shaoxing. The grossness of that will stand out more in Japanese food, fewer strong flavors.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of sake, I’ve been meaning to ask: How long does an opened bottle keep in the fridge?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It depends on the type. The flavor will change some within a day, which I generally don't care for if I'm drinking it but doesn't seem to matter for cooking. The Sho Chiku Bai I get is a junmai and I'll take a taste every month or so to check. I've never had a bottle go off before I finish using it.

For drinking, a month or so is the longest you'd want to go. Less for delicate stuff like a ginjo/daiginjo.

This is also assuming it's fresh enough--check the date of bottling on the label, you want to avoid anything more than a year old. Some bottles are okay beyond that but it's a good rule of thumb. Futsushu and honjozo lasts longer, junmai ginjos less.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

drainpipe posted:

I wanna try making oyakodon, but is shaoxing wine an ok substitute for sake in it? I already have the shaoxing wine, and I was wondering if I should buy a whole bottle of sake or if it's substitutable.

Just going to second the DO NOT DO THIS comment.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So Sake can go off. I don't know why I never thought about that. I exclusively use mine for cooking and now I am worried.

What happens? Does it turn to vinegar like wine, does it pose a health risk etc.?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

drainpipe posted:

Fwiw the usual substitution I've heard for sake is dry sherry? like Tio Pepe or something.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Shaoxing and dry sherry are much better substitutes for each other than either is for sake; they both have significant 'nutty' flavors (and amontillados/olorosos are even intentionally oxidized like shaoxing is) that sake doesn't really have. Honestly I don't think there is a good substitute for sake in Japanese cooking; everything I've ever tried has been kind of garbage. In my experience the best thing to do is sub mirin (assuming you can get mirin, which I realize is maybe not any easier than getting sake) and cut back added sugar if the recipe has any.

Edit: I haven't tried it but honestly I think a decent white wine (something you like to drink) would be better than sherry as a sake substitute.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use my sake exclusively for cooking and I get like maybe one bottle a year and it's been fine in the fridge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hopper posted:

So Sake can go off. I don't know why I never thought about that. I exclusively use mine for cooking and now I am worried.

What happens? Does it turn to vinegar like wine, does it pose a health risk etc.?

It just tastes bad. Sake for the most part is meant to be consumed as close to the bottling date as possible, it's not a drink that's intended for aging. It spends some time in the tanks at the brewery and then is bottled when it's reached the intended flavor. There is long aged sake called koshu but I guarantee you're not casually buying that to cook with. It's not a distilled drink, it's most similar to beer which also is intended to be consumed fresh. And like beer there are people who play around with bottle aging it with varied results.

If you're not cooking enough Japanese food to go through a bottle in a few months I'd start buying 300 ml bottles instead.

As for subs I agree there are no good ones. Korean cheongju would be the best I can think of, but hard for me to imagine a situation where you can find cheongju but not sake.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
At least in the winters, heat up your sake for a good time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

It just tastes bad. Sake for the most part is meant to be consumed as close to the bottling date as possible, it's not a drink that's intended for aging. It spends some time in the tanks at the brewery and then is bottled when it's reached the intended flavor. There is long aged sake called koshu but I guarantee you're not casually buying that to cook with. It's not a distilled drink, it's most similar to beer which also is intended to be consumed fresh. And like beer there are people who play around with bottle aging it with varied results.

If you're not cooking enough Japanese food to go through a bottle in a few months I'd start buying 300 ml bottles instead.

As for subs I agree there are no good ones. Korean cheongju would be the best I can think of, but hard for me to imagine a situation where you can find cheongju but not sake.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I go through a 750 ml bottle of cheap sake in about 3-5 months I guess, but I will start buying smaller ones. I have seen half sized bottles at my go to store.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hopper posted:

Thanks for the detailed answer. I go through a 750 ml bottle of cheap sake in about 3-5 months I guess, but I will start buying smaller ones. I have seen half sized bottles at my go to store.

That time period sounds okay to me. Just taste it occasionally and see if there's a point where it's gross. It's not going to be unsafe or anything.

300ml bottles are great for tasting a wider variety of sake though. I'll def recommend picking up one of every kind you can find and checking them out. Sake's my favorite drink, there's a shitload of variety.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

There's a sake bar in Kyoto where the guy ages some sake for a very long time, but yeah I hear it's the exception. Otherwise agreed above where it depends on how you want to use it, cooking is definitely more forgiving.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Carillon posted:

There's a sake bar in Kyoto where the guy ages some sake for a very long time, but yeah I hear it's the exception. Otherwise agreed above where it depends on how you want to use it, cooking is definitely more forgiving.

Yup, bottle aging and koshu are kind of trendy of late. Bottle aging sake is a crapshoot though, sometimes it comes out great, others it sucks. And like with beer it's not just letting a bottle sit on a liquor store shelf for two years, you have to store it for a while (I've read three years minimum since it drops in quality then goes back up, if it's one that can bottle age well) and stored properly in a cool dark place. Also some sake is already aged when it's bottled, I've seen ones that spent three or four years in the tanks at the brewery so doing further bottle aging on those is going to be a whole different thing.

So even if you're going to play with bottle aging, you still want to buy the bottles fresh to begin with. And this is entirely for drinking, nobody's cooking with koshu.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
New cookbook on izakaya cuisine came to my library. Alongside the traditional fare I found nice new fusion recipes. I made udon carbonara using bacon tempura and it was very good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Post the recipe, that sounds dope

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bacon tempura sounds like a gaijin nightmare.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
I'm out of dashi and I don't live close to any Asian grocery stores. Would miso broth be an okay substitute?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What is miso broth?

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

I mean just dissolving miso paste in water.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It wouldn't taste anything like dashi. What are you trying to make? You might be able to just skip it, or some chicken powder (or just straight MSG in water) would do you.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

I was making oyakodon and it turned out I did have dashi after all.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

thotsky posted:

Bacon tempura sounds like a gaijin nightmare.

I feel like Japanese people are totally capable of making bizarre sounding fusion foods on their own without pretending that it's just a thing white people do. Go look up Tsukomo cheese ramen or fish sausage corn dogs if you need convincing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MarsPearl posted:

I feel like Japanese people are totally capable of making bizarre sounding fusion foods on their own without pretending that it's just a thing white people do. Go look up Tsukomo cheese ramen or fish sausage corn dogs if you need convincing.

Japan and especially Korea are playing in an entirely different league when it comes to making bizarre food. Saw a good joke about going to the US to open a traditional Japanese bakery that just sells hot dog buns full of whipped cream.

Also why I laugh every time someone makes a midwest crack about excessive mayo. If only you knew.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MarsPearl posted:

Sure, but the Bacon obsession is very white.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Americans are obsessed with racially coding every single thing lol

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan and especially Korea are playing in an entirely different league when it comes to making bizarre food. Saw a good joke about going to the US to open a traditional Japanese bakery that just sells hot dog buns full of whipped cream.

Also why I laugh every time someone makes a midwest crack about excessive mayo. If only you knew.

Katori Shingo comes to mind.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
I promised back in November to post about making miso. I finally got around to making it in February and I thought I'd be posting now with the final result but, living in England, my house hasn't been warm enough so the fermentation is not quite there yet... maybe in another month or so.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, now's a good time to start. This makes about 1kg/2lbs of miso.

250g dried soybeans
450g dried komekoji OR 500g fresh komekoji
144g salt

A note about komekoji: this is rice that has been inoculated with kojikin spores. You can try making this yourself, or you can gently caress it up like me and have to use storebought komekoji instead. In the US Cold Mountain koji seems popular. I used this very standard stuff which you should be able to find at practically any Japanese grocery:

First, you'll want to rehydrate the soybeans for 8-12 hours. Then, bring the beans to a boil. There'll be lots of scum, which you'll want to skim off as thoroughly as you can because it turns into horrible little gray rubbery lumps if it's left to boil. Once you've gotten rid of the scum, cover the pot and reduce to a simmer for up to 6 hours or until the beans are soft enough you can crush one between your fingers. (You can use a pressure cooker for this, of course - internet suggests it only takes 20 minutes if you do.)

In the meantime, prepare the koji. If you're using storebought koji, you'll need first to gently break it apart in a bowl large enough to eventually fit all the ingredients with room to mix. Gloved hands are best for this. Reserve 15g of the salt and put the rest of it in the bowl with the koji. Mix it together well, breaking apart any lumps you find in the koji as you go.

When the beans are done cooking, take them off the heat and if there are any skins floating in the pot, remove them. Then, strain the beans (reserving the water) and make them into a paste in your blender/food processor/whatever. They need to be blended to a super smooth consistency or else your results may be terrible. Once you've blended the beans, you'll need to set the paste aside until they're cool enough to not kill the kojikin - below 36 c or 97 f.

Once the paste is cooled, add it to the koji-salt mixture and mix thoroughly (again, gloved hands are best). If you have any old miso laying around, you can add a couple tablespoons of it now to kickstart the fermentation process, but if you don't it's all good. Once you've mixed it all together, if you feel the mixture is too dry, add a little of the reserved water. Most likely it will only feel a little too dry if you're using the dried komekoji instead of fresh. You don't want to add too much because some moisture will come out during the fermentation process. The mixture should have roughly the consistency of Play-doh.

Slowly add an appropriate sized jar (mine's a 950ml swing top), pressing down firmly as you go to ensure there are no air pockets, and sprinkle the top with the reserved 15g of salt to prevent mold formation. Wait for one to ??? months depending on your climate - if fermentation is going well, the komekoji will start to break down and the miso will turn a deeper shade of brown. Once you're happy with the miso, put it in your fridge and enjoy!

Hurry the gently caress up!

My next big scheme: making faux umeboshi from greengages.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
This is cool. Have you tasted it yet?

Also, if you're lazy and cool with a more "rustic" style of miso, I bet you can skip the scum skimming (that's just protein, same as inside the soybeans, I'd expect it to break down again in fermentation), leave the skins in (which I'd expect to partially break down and partially not), and not worry about blending it super thoroughly. (Obviously if you've skipped any of those before and it sucks for some reason correct me.)

This seems way more accessible than other miso recipes (I was primarily looking at the Noma Guide to Fermentation one which has you growing your own koji from spores and wants lots of temperature control). I might try it, thanks for posting!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone have a favored place to order senbei that ships to the US? I subscribed to a Japanese snack box service and learned actually all I wanted was senbei (and not lame jellies, goops, cakes or breads).

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Lots of places sell it in the snack or bulk food sections. You can just scoop it into bags/containers.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

Scythe posted:

This is cool. Have you tasted it yet?

Also, if you're lazy and cool with a more "rustic" style of miso, I bet you can skip the scum skimming (that's just protein, same as inside the soybeans, I'd expect it to break down again in fermentation), leave the skins in (which I'd expect to partially break down and partially not), and not worry about blending it super thoroughly. (Obviously if you've skipped any of those before and it sucks for some reason correct me.)

This seems way more accessible than other miso recipes (I was primarily looking at the Noma Guide to Fermentation one which has you growing your own koji from spores and wants lots of temperature control). I might try it, thanks for posting!

I hope you do try it! What's the worst that can happen?

You really don't want to leave the scum in in my experience, it has the texture of bits of eraser after all that boiling. I mean it's not poisonous or anything, just kind of disturbing. You can totally leave the floating skins in. However you do want most of the beans blended very thoroughly to aid with fermentation, although some chunks are fine (and delicious).

My friend says a yogurt maker is an easy way to make fresh komekoji yourself - that need for temperature control is exactly what hosed my attempt up.

Got a ton of unripe green plums today so I'm gonna leave half to ripen to make faux-umeboshi from and throw the rest into some vodka with sugar for umeshu.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
You don’t think the eraser bits would ferment out to softness? I guess no way to know but to try it.

The split faux umeboshi/umeshu is a great idea.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I'm sure there's no need to guess or re-invent the wheel over an ancient fermentation process.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

for the 4th

NZ bluefin:

JP bluefin:

Scottish salmon:

fish treated with pichitto sheets and stored with reed paper, then served with akazu shari

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Development posted:

for the 4th

NZ bluefin:

JP bluefin:

Scottish salmon:

fish treated with pichitto sheets and stored with reed paper, then served with akazu shari

These look amazing!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sushi king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone have any good Japanese dishes that use white fish (halibut or cod most commonly)? Other than tempura!

I've tried simmering it in shoyu, mirin, sake, water and ginger a couple times. It's never that good.