Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's incredibly convenient, because of course as soon as you do something illegal with a gun, you stop being a legal gun owner, so ergo legal gun owners never do crimes/never get caught doing crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Not a criminal until you've committed a crime!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chicago does have an issue with guns being smuggled in, since they share a water border with the lawless, gun-loving wasteland known as Canada.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Chicago does have an issue with guns being smuggled in, since they share a land border with the lawless, gun-loving wasteland known as Indiana.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My brother in law posted this. I am guessing that:
-a third of these are just conspiracies that are not real.
- a third are things that he has no idea what they even mean.
- a third are things he actually supported or still supports.

If you want to torch your relationship with your brother in law ask him if he is ok with black people arming themselves and shooting police officers. After all, if the 2nd Amendment is meant to put fear into tyrannical governments and actions, people should be able to arm themselves against police right?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I recently saw one of those lists of the president’s supposed failures that cranks love to leave in the comments of every news article they can. It was pretty standard, except the nickname they made up to devastatingly own him was “Jow.” Just “Jow.” I’m surprisingly baffled by it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

If you want to torch your relationship with your brother in law ask him if he is ok with black people arming themselves and shooting police officers. After all, if the 2nd Amendment is meant to put fear into tyrannical governments and actions, people should be able to arm themselves against police right?

No we need law and order

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Dr Christmas posted:

I recently saw one of those lists of the president’s supposed failures that cranks love to leave in the comments of every news article they can. It was pretty standard, except the nickname they made up to devastatingly own him was “Jow.” Just “Jow.” I’m surprisingly baffled by it.

I'm not sure what it means. Maybe it's supposed to be like Jew?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

No we need law and order

Law and Order, unless I have to acknowledge women or people of color as equal than that's tyrannical government overreach.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

When a president or member(s) of congress openly encourage, conspire with and incite violence from BLM protesters?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

When a president or member(s) of congress openly encourage, conspire with and incite violence from BLM protesters?

...in the service of overthrowing an election, no less

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/08/26/almost-none-deaths-linked-recent-protests-are-known-have-been-committed-by-protesters/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/06/08/14-days-of-protests-19-dead/?sh=6a4e94ce4de4

Unknown: [1] Victor Cazares Jr. (Unknown gunman)

Unrelated: [2] Javar Harrell (Own family says its unrelated); [3] James Scurlock (Unrelated alteraction); [4] Chris Beaty (Tried to stop an unrelated armed robbery); [5] Dorian Murrell (Possibly a pro-BLM teen but unclear); [6] Marvin Francois (Unrelated car jacking, possibly picking up his son from a protest); [7] Jose Gutierrez (Bystander - supposedly murdered by a looter but man wasn't charged with looting?)

Killed by a Boogaloo Boy: [8] Dave Underwood

Pro-BLM Protestor: [9] Barry Perkins (Run over by fed ex truck); [10] Italia Kelly (Shot by unknown man after protest); [11] Robert Forbes (Run over by a car)

Killed by cop: [12] Marquis Tousan (Allegedly ambushed police); David McAtee (The cops and guardsmen involved got fired); [13] Jorge Gomez (Cops shot him and lied about the incident - no punishment); [14] Sean Monterrosa (Cops mistook a hammer for a gun)

Alleged Looting: [15] Calvin Horton(A store owner claims he was being looted so he just fired into a group and killed him); [16] John Tiggs (Unclear, appears to be stray fire from people who either took the law into their own hands or were looting); [17] David Dorn (Killed by alleged looters); [18 & 19] and two unidentified men in Philadelphia who are alleged to have been robbing people

So yeah, let's talk about the Boogaloo Boys. Or the people killed by the cops. Or the BLM protestors that got murdered.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 30, 2022

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
The way I see right wingers on the internet talk about those protests as an outsider I can only assume that Portland is now a smouldering crater so that few deaths comes as a surprise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll claim that tweets from members of Congress saying "BLM is good" count as all those things.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Twelve by Pies posted:

They'll claim that tweets from members of Congress saying "BLM is good" count as all those things.

Biden was having secret meetings with the President of BLM and the King of Black People in the basement of the pizza dungeon giving them weapons and promising they wouldn't be prosecuted is what they think.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/RnkSt7/status/1542489154730315778?t=ro3FyDkU_3OdSj7yz3yvUg&s=19

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jesus, that meme is almost old enough to vote.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Luv 2 be lectured about the value of work by an opera singer turned reality TV host.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Is the TV host really against the children in that meme, not the people raising them? I think the blame should lie with the people responsible for educating, instilling ambition, giving guidance, and providing "realistic expectations of what it means to go to work" (whatever that means), and their failure to do so is the real problem.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

beats for junkies posted:

Is the TV host really against the children in that meme, not the people raising them? I think the blame should lie with the people responsible for educating, instilling ambition, giving guidance, and providing "realistic expectations of what it means to go to work" (whatever that means), and their failure to do so is the real problem.

It's Mike Rowe so he is absolutely catering to Boomer-minded types and making GBS threads on anyone who doesn't buy in to wage slave mentality.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mike Rowe is absolutely against the children these days being too lazy to work a real job. He came up with some thing called the SWEAT Pledge with such great statements as:

quote:

I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that "happiness" and the "pursuit of happiness" are not the same thing.

quote:

I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

quote:

I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who knows if he actually believes the bullshit he spouts but he gets paid a lot of money to be a pretend hard labor worker speaking against labor rights and education. Kinda like Very pampered rich man Tim Allen pretending to be a real man.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Who knows if he actually believes the bullshit he spouts but he gets paid a lot of money to be a pretend hard labor worker speaking against labor rights and education. Kinda like Very pampered rich man Tim Allen pretending to be a real man.

The same Tim Allen who was a cocaine smuggling drug dealer turned ratted on over two dozen other dealers when he got busted so he'd get a lighter sentence.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dameius posted:

The same Tim Allen who was a cocaine smuggling drug dealer turned ratted on over two dozen other dealers when he got busted so he'd get a lighter sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28LVE5DKupk

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I really wonder who invented the character Mike Rowe plays. I don't think he became an anti-organized labor mascot of his own volition for shits and giggles.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edit: Wow, that fooled me.
That looked legit real lol, well done.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

I really wonder who invented the character Mike Rowe plays. I don't think he became an anti-organized labor mascot of his own volition for shits and giggles.

Eh, I think having your formative years in the 80s would be enough to absolutely poison it all up there.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think he found his niche doing Dirty Jobs and knows he won’t really go much further so he took all the dirty Koch brothers (past tense) money. He’s not really done anything besides voiceover work.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not everything has to be an MJ12 plan, sometimes a dumb "reality" tv show on Discovery Channel is just good or is the right show for the right time.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

not everything has to be an MJ12 plan, sometimes a dumb "reality" tv show on Discovery Channel is just good or is the right show for the right time.

Yea it’s been a while but wasn’t part of the appeal “look at this doofus who can’t handle labor!”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea it’s been a while but wasn’t part of the appeal “look at this doofus who can’t handle labor!”

I don't think so. IIRC, it was more "Hey, there's way more to this job than you would expect and it's actually pretty interesting."
I don't think they played up the fish out of water angle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I used to like Dirty Jobs since a lot of it was getting Mike Rowe to do difficult or gross tasks. But it got pointed out (on Citations Needed I think) how a lot of the places were "small business" operations where much of the interaction was with the owner.

There's a lot of veneer to the working class Tradesman esthetic that creates this narrative that these jobs are very important and young people are simply too lazy to take on these tasks. There's not a lot of detail about the exact discrepancies (since some trade jobs genuinely are well paying with decent job security) but my best guess is that a job that is a ticket to job security for life is going to be jealously guarded and there is going to be a lot of direct and indirect nepotism going on, and like a lot of careers it can be more "who you know" vs "what you know".

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There's also a huge difference between doing a lovely job once, for a TV show, and having to do it every day of your life for years on end.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The former opera singer has opinions about worker safety and how that's all on individual workers: https://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/29/opinion/mike-rowe-workplace-safety/index.html

While looking for a good article to illustrate that point, I found out that Rowe is/was also one of those "sacrifice gramps for the sake of the economy" types too, naturally. Asshat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

One of the pledges on his SWEAT pledge bullshit says:

quote:

I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in "compliance" does not necessarily mean I'm out of danger.

Which on a surface level is actually pretty good advice. Just because there are safety regulations and equipment doesn't mean you can shut your brain off and not pay attention, especially since a lot of workplace accidents are the result of human negligence, and there's always the possibility of something happening that isn't accounted for.

However then you look at the CNN article and you realize it's bullshit like "Nothing is 100% perfectly safe therefore why bother using PPE" and "aha but you drive cars, which are also dangerous, so you have no room to tell me what is safe."

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Alrighty, who registered "antifafootsoldiers007@hotmail.com"? Come on, just own up to it.

https://twitter.com/AshevillePolice/status/1543718737072869376

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I think the best dissection of Mike Rowe has been from the Citations Needed podcast https://citationsneeded.medium.com/episode-64-mike-rowes-koch-backed-working-man-affectation-fa52e0e8d2e3

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

JohnClark posted:

Alrighty, who registered "antifafootsoldiers007@hotmail.com"? Come on, just own up to it.

https://twitter.com/AshevillePolice/status/1543718737072869376

My favorite part of the threat is the two spaces after periods. The only way this could be more perfect is if the police response also had two spaces after periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My favorite part of the threat is the two spaces after periods. The only way this could be more perfect is if the police response also had two spaces after periods.

This is something you usually see out of people 50+ years old who was taught to type on typewriters so good for our greatest generation antifa.