Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I pulled some Eldlich (no Eldlich) which opened the I.P. Masquerana pack. Needed to burn a few more gems so I pulled that one, no UR, so it would just be losing value not to pull another. Be smarter than me folks.

I still need a bunch of staples so its basically moot, gems->UR points is(?) the same in any pack, even if its suboptimal to pull random poo poo.

My deck could 100% be stronger, but its good enough for diamond 1, so there's no real incentive to push further, whereas having some deck variety could be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My general strategy has been to pull from secret packs I want to build decks from, and just scrap whatever SRs/URs I don't need to build up my collection of generic staples. Especially early on, it pays to be cutthroat and just scrap cards you likely won't use so you can build a complete deck you can use instead of having 4 incomplete decks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And then sometimes you end up accidentally having a solid deck. I got Fairy Tail - Snow on a random pull and now she's found her way into everything I build, from Swordsoul to Dinos.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So what are good ways to break the back of a SS/Tenyi board? I've been going up against an infuriating amount of them, and the fact they apparently don't even have to break a sweat to end a single turn on two synchros with quick effect negates/destructions that they only get stronger after using says that I have to figure out some way to deal with them.

EDIT: And also, as a completely unrelated thing, the later stages in the Pendulum-focused solo gates feel really awful. Both Qli and Dinomist give you decks with sub-focuses that only seem to make the main deck focus even worse and less consistent.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 28, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So what are good ways to break the back of a SS/Tenyi board? I've been going up against an infuriating amount of them, and the fact they apparently don't even have to break a sweat to end a single turn on two synchros with quick effect negates/destructions that they only get stronger after using says that I have to figure out some way to deal with them.

Kaijus and forbidden droplets

Um thats all i got

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Kaijus and forbidden droplets

Um thats all i got

Those are the best ones. Anything to pop Baronne will force the negation, and Chixiao only hits monsters on the field so there's a lot it can't deal with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As someone who hasn't actually played YGO since before pendulums were a thing, is Legacy of the Duelist a good intro into the modern rules and semi-current archetypes? It's on sale on the Switch, and I'm about to go on two weeks of travel.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

AlternateNu posted:

As someone who hasn't actually played YGO since before pendulums were a thing, is Legacy of the Duelist a good intro into the modern rules and semi-current archetypes? It's on sale on the Switch, and I'm about to go on two weeks of travel.

Which version is it? OG Legacy of the Duelist is super outdated by now, but Link Evolution should be up to date, rules-wise at least.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

serefin99 posted:

Which version is it? OG Legacy of the Duelist is super outdated by now, but Link Evolution should be up to date, rules-wise at least.

The version on sale is Link Evolution. If anyone has played it, or has an opinion of it as a YGO entry game.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think master duel is a waaaaayyyyyy better intro to the mechanics and getting acquainted with more meta relevant cards, archetypes, and game play, while giving you more versatility with your card selection, customization, and the like. It even has a solo mode for you to learn the modern ruleset, playtest a bunch of archetypes, and use for practicing your constructed decks. The only thing to be wary of is that it is a free to play model game, but it's fairly generous with the currency it gives you, especially grinding out solo mode on a new account, that you should be able to construct 1 or 2 fairly competetive decks without needing to spend any real money on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Vacation' probably means 'unreliable internet access', and Master Duel is always-online.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I'd only do Link Evo if you really want to play through the anime scenarios. Also a lot of the anime decks are miserably bad lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Takahashi has been found dead

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Found floating in the waters off Nago City in full snorkelling gear. He was only 60, that's no age.

https://twitter.com/okinawa_nhk/status/1544939487062822913

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So I got into Master Duel. What are some good decks to build using my starter currency?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I'd only do Link Evo if you really want to play through the anime scenarios. Also a lot of the anime decks are miserably bad lol

Also Link Evo completely ignores the banlist for single player content, letting you go absolutely ham on a level most YGO games don't allow. 3 Pot of Greed/3 Graceful Charity in every deck? Go right ahead. Try out a Tier 0 deck? Why the hell not, Spyrals are in the very first booster pack you unlock in 5Ds.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I guess it kind of depends. The big new hotness in the meta right now is Swordsoul-Tenyi, which also has the benefit of half of it being in a Selection Pack. On the other hand, a new one should be available in just a couple days featuring Adventurer Tokens and Floowandereeze.

However, if you haven’t bought the special bundle packs yet start with those. You’ll get one copy each of powerful cards you can use anywhere and 10 packs of… well, could be just about anything in them. Probably snag Ash, Imperm, Solemn, and finally Lightning Storm, I’d say

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can buy three copies of the Utopia structure deck and throw something competent but not spectacular together from that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
2 of the adventurer cards are pre-limited lol. Idk anything about them tbh but thats a promising start

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The most important thing is that you think your cards look cool and have style. Only play what represents your Cool Factor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mandatory lesbian posted:

2 of the adventurer cards are pre-limited lol. Idk anything about them tbh but thats a promising start

It's a small engine that can gets its full combo from using either one of 2 of its cards and sets up an omni-negate and some other poo poo. It's basically a tax you're gonna see in a bunch of decks that don't already set up negates inherently.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 9, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I just learned today that there's an Ecclesia card that searches both Albaz and Swordsoul monsters. This feels like they've learned from their mistakes with the Duel Terminal story (particularly Ally of Justice) too well, they're using lore to create synergy between archetypes that are already good!

Are there other archetypes involved in this poo poo? I admit, I'm feeling a little left out that none of this pile appeals to me, and so I can't get involved in the current surge of new support. I love my Mayakashis and Unleashed, but they ain't exactly getting new toys.

Speaking of card lore and Unleashed: why are there three 'Unchained Twins' monsters? I feel like someone should've realized their mistake there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dogmatika, Tribrigade, Despia and Springans are part of that same storyline, and there's some Albaz fusions reflecting that. Upcoming there's also Splights and Therions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I just learned today that there's an Ecclesia card that searches both Albaz and Swordsoul monsters.
She also costs $100+ for a playset.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

I just learned today that there's an Ecclesia card that searches both Albaz and Swordsoul monsters. This feels like they've learned from their mistakes with the Duel Terminal story (particularly Ally of Justice) too well, they're using lore to create synergy between archetypes that are already good!

Are there other archetypes involved in this poo poo? I admit, I'm feeling a little left out that none of this pile appeals to me, and so I can't get involved in the current surge of new support. I love my Mayakashis and Unleashed, but they ain't exactly getting new toys.

Speaking of card lore and Unleashed: why are there three 'Unchained Twins' monsters? I feel like someone should've realized their mistake there.

Because the original name isn't Unchained Twins. But, the original set did specifically have 2 Unchained level 4 monsters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a small engine that can gets its full combo from using either one of 2 of its cards and sets up an omni-negate and some other poo poo. It's basically a tax you're gonna see in a bunch of decks that don't already set up negates inherently.
Bleh, yet another good value engine. I like the art effect they have of all being first person so maybe i'll throw em in...something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because the original name isn't Unchained Twins. But, the original set did specifically have 2 Unchained level 4 monsters.

The third one came in the very next set, I feel like they should've known one was coming.

Also, the Adventurer engine turning up in Master Duel is awfully fitting given it is partly inspired by gacha games, to the point where one of their core cards is named after the practice of constantly restarting a gacha game until you get good starting pulls. (Specifically, it's Rite of Aramesir)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

The third one came in the very next set, I feel like they should've known one was coming.

Also, the Adventurer engine turning up in Master Duel is awfully fitting given it is partly inspired by gacha games, to the point where one of their core cards is named after the practice of constantly restarting a gacha game until you get good starting pulls. (Specifically, it's Rite of Aramesir)

Actually they were two sets apart, the first set of Unchained Child (the Japanese name) were in Chaos Impact, nearly 6-7 months later the third was in Eternity Code.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's worth mentioning that the Adventurer engine doesn't allow you to activate the effects of a Normal Summoned monster on the same turn, so it's not as splashable as, say, DPE. That said the package is so good that most decks would want to restructure to make space for it somehow.

You can still use the Graveyard effect of a Normal Summoned monster, though, so prepare to see Prank-Kids Adventurer everywhere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Actually they were two sets apart, the first set of Unchained Child (the Japanese name) were in Chaos Impact, nearly 6-7 months later the third was in Eternity Code.

True in Japan, but apparently Sarama's premiere in the TCG was actually in the special edition of Ignition Assault, the set released between those two.

Even then, though, it still looks like Chaos Impact's English release was before Sarama's Japanese by a few months, so I guess that answers that even if I feel like Konami should probably work on their international branch communications. Still feels like painting yourself into one hell of a corner, though; 'surely they will never add more than two of the human Unchained monsters, despite their being able to trigger and tag each other being an integral element to how the archetype works!'

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

The TCG loving up card names is a tale as old as time.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Dogmatika, Tribrigade, Despia and Springans are part of that same storyline, and there's some Albaz fusions reflecting that. Upcoming there's also Splights and Therions.

And Icejade, I think?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AweStriker posted:

And Icejade, I think?

Yeah the Soulsword's weapons are made by their boss.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 10, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the Soulsword's weapons are made by their boss.

This picture really tries to pitch that Swordsoul/Icejade is a symbiotic relationship, and it is hilarious how not true that is in the game itself.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 11, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Iris Swordsoul is the coolest

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

This picture really tries to pitch that Swordsoul/Icejade is a symbiotic relationship, and it is hilarious how not true that is in the game itself.

I mean in Lore they are, the books directly state that. It's just weirdly the one time the actual cards don't do the crossover poo poo where all the rest of them lean into it so hard.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's still wild to me how Duel Monsters has such a rich, deep well of lore that it draws on for its various archetypes, and pretty much none of it is ever actually featured in the anime.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

W.T. Fits posted:

It's still wild to me how Duel Monsters has such a rich, deep well of lore that it draws on for its various archetypes, and pretty much none of it is ever actually featured in the anime.

This is, what, the fourth sprawling multi-archetype universe that hasn't appeared in the anime?

I was going to say 'at least this one hasn't had its world end yet', but I think that's actually rare, it's just that Duel Terminal had multiple different apocalypses so we're probably still at one each on balance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's because the archetypes as used in the anime are entirely metaphors for the characters' worldview and beliefs (For Example: Yusei's Junk warriors picking each other back up and literally forging a road to a brighter future the North Star that is the stardust line of monsters) and the changing/adding to of them is hand in hand with their character growth. Adding in a big layer of card lore on top of that could easily overshadow or over-complicated things on the way to that goal.

While I think you could do the World Legacy plot or the Abyss plot as an anime and it'd be cool...it doesn't sell cards as well as showing off a bunch of decks in an anime about the actual game.

Cleretic posted:

This is, what, the fourth sprawling multi-archetype universe that hasn't appeared in the anime?

I was going to say 'at least this one hasn't had its world end yet', but I think that's actually rare, it's just that Duel Terminal had multiple different apocalypses so we're probably still at one each on balance.

The Byssted dragons are Aluber The Boober of Doober perfecting the demonic powers of the Holes and making the dragons more refined and he's got all the power now. We're getting close to the scale up to World ending that the Orcust into World Wand into Guardragons arc of World Legacy got us.

Ecclesia's possessed and Kitt's getting her rear end kicked by the Splights and Albaz is depowered, but the Tri-Brigade are alive and kicking and the Swordsoul Remnants that are just Ecclesia's friends made it out so I'm guessing the good guys are gonna go meet up with Kitt after she makes a Therion/Splight/Spriggun super mech and we'll form a new archetype liek crusadia to deal with Byssted then Aluber will go Full Satan and Albaz will pull out some angelic wyrms forms based on the swordsoul/icejade/brigade/spriggans alliance.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 11, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yugioh doesn't have any lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yugioh doesn't have any lore.

Sangan alone has more lore than most Magic the gathering sets.