Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

V. Illych L. posted:

dad chat: chat about dads itt

good dads, bad dads, dumb dads, poor dads, rich dads

no mums though, that's probatable
out of respect for my dad, i only talk about him in private channels now

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/SportScran/status/1543641044037820417

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

not even some kind of dry milk/cereal reduction? sad

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I'd try that dog tbh

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
my father is like a wild goat

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

Angry curmudgeon that lives in the mountains and eats garbage?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

indifferent to steep grades?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what is his capybara buddy named

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I apologize if this is too "talking about moderation" or whatever that is forbidden outside the 2-day party threads that happen every so often, but I have a question/suggestion. Could we (as in D&D) have a general "post about semi-recent US history" thread? Or would that turn into another hot-bed of awful drama? What am I saying, of course it would.

But either way, since the US current events thread is meant for current events, and the mid-terms thread is heading towards a discussion about what went down in the 2000 elections, it seems like it'd be nice to have a general thread to discuss about how gropey LBJ was (he was), or how weird as a person Nixon was (he really was), or how Dick Cheney ran the administration while Bush played a patsy.

Anyway, thank you for listening to my ted talk, see you in posting pits.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I apologize if this is too "talking about moderation" or whatever that is forbidden outside the 2-day party threads that happen every so often, but I have a question/suggestion. Could we (as in D&D) have a general "post about semi-recent US history" thread? Or would that turn into another hot-bed of awful drama? What am I saying, of course it would.

:justpost:

you don't need anyone's permission to make a new thread. people are gonna see history through the lens of contemporary politics ofc but that isn't less interesting i think

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
at this point i honestly don't even know what good posting is, and i wish godspeed to anyone who thinks they can find it

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rappaport posted:

Could we (as in D&D) have a general "post about semi-recent US history" thread?
Between Let's relive the Bush years and the President's Day Presidents Thread for Pontificating about Presidents D&D has had a couple in the past year+. I see no reason why there couldn't be another one?

Rappaport posted:

Or would that turn into another hot-bed of awful drama? What am I saying, of course it would.
This is really going to be on you and how you shape the thread. There are tremendously intelligent and knowledgeable people who lurk D&D and are happy to share but feel like it's going to be received with hostility (per multiple old feedback threads) or drowned out by dogshit slapfights. How will you make your thread a more enjoyable place for them to :effort:? An easy one is to engage with the effort posts and ask followup questions or emphasize parts that were especially interesting. This actually works better than modaction to shut down derails and avoid lovely thread cultures no matter which thread it's in except dadchat but the mod toolset of negative reinforcement can't actually do anything to encourage that behavior so *gestures wildly at everything*

Start it with a clear purpose, meet effort with effort(even/especially just followup questions!), and hope it doesn't get big enough to be worth disrupting. State & Local back in 2018 was a great example of a thread that was mostly notawful, filled with electoral advice, trip reports, and people providing context then tviving the results of dem primaries without succumbing to the curse as the bad posters were busy slapfighting in other threads.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

at this point i honestly don't even know what good posting is, and i wish godspeed to anyone who thinks they can find it
Good posting is like Jazz, it's good so long as your tiny audience mirrors the insufferable assholes on stage about the posts you don't make

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Between Let's relive the Bush years and the President's Day Presidents Thread for Pontificating about Presidents D&D has had a couple in the past year+. I see no reason why there couldn't be another one?

This is really going to be on you and how you shape the thread. There are tremendously intelligent and knowledgeable people who lurk D&D and are happy to share but feel like it's going to be received with hostility (per multiple old feedback threads) or drowned out by dogshit slapfights. How will you make your thread a more enjoyable place for them to :effort:? An easy one is to engage with the effort posts and ask followup questions or emphasize parts that were especially interesting. This actually works better than modaction to shut down derails and avoid lovely thread cultures no matter which thread it's in except dadchat but the mod toolset of negative reinforcement can't actually do anything to encourage that behavior so *gestures wildly at everything*

Start it with a clear purpose, meet effort with effort(even/especially just followup questions!), and hope it doesn't get big enough to be worth disrupting. State & Local back in 2018 was a great example of a thread that was mostly notawful, filled with electoral advice, trip reports, and people providing context then tviving the results of dem primaries without succumbing to the curse as the bad posters were busy slapfighting in other threads.

I will have to take a little while to make a starting post, since this fabulous idea of mine is falling on my own head, but there's a lot to cover. I figure a reasonable starting point would be Eisenhower and Nixon being vice president, since the culture wars we are seeing are all Nixon's fault, and that's a half-century of presidents alone. You are right though, it would be great for others to contribute.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Cease to Hope posted:

indifferent to steep grades?

Furnaceface posted:

Angry curmudgeon that lives in the mountains and eats garbage?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what is his capybara buddy named
it's all of this, but he only eats leafy greens and his buddy is a 17-year-old black cat named wilson pickett

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I am simultaneously bored and stressed with my upcoming move and therefore I have decided to post. Hi everyone it’s been a billion years, what’s going on

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
eh, politics are pretty chill and boring lately, not much to talk about

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
buzzards circle over the bleached bones of the chat thread

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

some of us remain, confused ancients in the ruins of past grandeur

please, sir, have you come with posts?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

some of us remain, confused ancients in the ruins of past grandeur

please, sir, have you come with posts?

i have

https://twitter.com/jonahblock05/status/1544000896140460032

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
disrupting america's most sacred tradition. he deserves worse

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as a side note, i'm amazed joey chestnut is alive, much less still in championship speed eating contention. maybe the nutritionists are wrong about everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as a side note, i'm amazed joey chestnut is alive, much less still in championship speed eating contention. maybe the nutritionists are wrong about everything

apparently he pb’d with 76 hotdog sandwiches, 1 over his previous record - defending his 15th mustard belt

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apparently he pb’d with 76 hotdog sandwiches, 1 over his previous record - defending his 15th mustard belt

there is no god

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Update: packed up my gf on her advance mission. Now I’m poised to pack myself up tomorrow and oversee the professionals the next day.

I scrolled through some pages when I needed a breather. I kept going back to work so quickly thank you for your posts

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
scromiting

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
kals, if i'm understanding the eastern europe thread correctly, you're about to be conscripted into latvia's new standing army?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kals, if i'm understanding the eastern europe thread correctly, you're about to be conscripted into latvia's new standing army?

no, im older than the age limit for that

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the forum's ascendancy into middle age triumphs once again!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the forum's ascendancy into middle age triumphs once again!

Nothing but a group of grumpy geezers left in here.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Rappaport posted:

But either way, since the US current events thread is meant for current events, and the mid-terms thread is heading towards a discussion about what went down in the 2000 elections, it seems like it'd be nice to have a general thread to discuss about how gropey LBJ was (he was), or how weird as a person Nixon was (he really was), or how Dick Cheney ran the administration while Bush played a patsy.

Anyway, thank you for listening to my ted talk, see you in posting pits.

Personally, I love this idea.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

buzzards circle over the bleached bones of the chat thread

sup

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

admittedly, I’m not the most frequent drinker, but I’m a bit confused here

https://twitter.com/shawnawtf/status/1544875523318366215

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It probably tastes moderately poo poo but instantly destroys your liver.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

It probably tastes moderately poo poo but instantly destroys your liver.

Very dubious use of “but”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Instant Liver Destruction is a useful tool in one's arsenal

to kill an enemy, or prove to everyone else at the party that you're tough as poo poo

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

every news segment about how Brittney Griner is unfairly forced to work year-round to supplement her income was designed by an evil genius to turn me into a reactionary.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

visceril posted:

I am simultaneously bored and stressed with my upcoming move and therefore I have decided to post. Hi everyone it’s been a billion years, what’s going on

yeah it sucks i saw my rent increase near to 150 this resign yea after it being more like 20-40 the past eight years

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

admittedly, I’m not the most frequent drinker, but I’m a bit confused here

https://twitter.com/shawnawtf/status/1544875523318366215

hmm, i forget that punch was more a colonial thing and not really continental. when done right it can be deceptively delicious

this is my go-to for turning an unsuspecting sedate dinner party into a bunch of wild slurring assholes

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/champagne-punch-200617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, im older than the age limit for that
sincerely, this is good news