Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Blimpkin posted:

I've become a fan of looping a half circle to meet the 2-way road perpendicularly but hit the one ways straight on.

I wish we had more sunken overpass options. It's so difficult to make them.

That gave me a decent idea, thanks. This looks a bit more intentional now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Protocol7 posted:

How'd you get your hands on one of my dozens of old cities!?

Also, partially related, what's a decent way to make two roads terminate into one like this?

I have all the usual mods that should let me wrangle it as needed (Move It/Road Anarchy/etc).

The mod you need is Node Controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCD06qDeoIg&t=337s

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god node controller is almost too much control. As soon as I started using it it became a HUGE time commitment to build new roads. But the always look amazing afterwards.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I have it installed, now is as good a time as any to really learn it though. Thanks for the vid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A mega metro stop like this would really help me out with certain metro interconnections.

How do I get it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's in the train stations content creator pack DLC.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks!

I give you New Peoria, MB.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well this was a pain in the rear end to get looking decent. But el rail over roads is worth the effort. Wish I could get rid of a few of those extra catenaries but I don't think it's possible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Trying to get my modlist up and running on a new install on new PC, and I can't seem to get the Building Themes mod to work.
If I go to the Themes tab on a district, the Theme Manager button is there at the button but it does absolutely nothing when I click it, no theme manager window pops up. It's been ages since I set it up the first time, I can't remember if there's some trick to getting it to work.

e: and it pops up this error on map load:

code:
The Mod C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\255710\466158459 [0Harmony.dll, BuildingThemes.dll] has caused an error [ModException]

Details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BuildingThemes.Debugger.AppendModList () <0x00199>
at BuildingThemes.Debugger.OnLevelLoaded () <0x0001c>
at BuildingThemes.LoadingExtension.OnLevelLoaded (ICities.LoadMode) <0x0003b>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) LoadingWrapper.LoadingWrapper.OnLevelLoaded_Patch1 (LoadingWrapper,SimulationManager/UpdateMode) <0x0008b>
What am I doing wrong here?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 24, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It was a mod conflict I guess, deactivating all my mods and reactivating them in batches fixed my errors. 80% sure the culprit was Climate Control which I don’t think I need with my current loadout anyway.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Whenever I load a game, I'm getting a bunch of missing props errors - nothing gamebreaking, but apparently I'm missing a bunch of little props. Is there any tool/mod that'll help me find the appropriate items on the workshop? Or will I have to search them all by hand?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Loading Screen Mod. It generates a report that contains links to missing props and stuff. You'll probably have some that no longer exist but you can get most of them that way.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any mod list suggestions to make my cities look more American? Preferably Californian.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Charles 1998 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any mod list suggestions to make my cities look more American? Preferably Californian.

Buy the natural disasters DLC and trigger an earthquake. :)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

The Locator posted:

Buy the natural disasters DLC and trigger an earthquake. :)

OK I did that but now my city looks like Haiti.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Did you remember to set it all on fire every couple years?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Did you remember to set it all on fire every couple years?

The game does that on its own, if Biffa and CPP videos are indicative.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Fires are the only disaster that I remember that isn't annoying, because it doesn't require you to click on every single road segment or power line pylon to repair it.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Who wants to go for a boat ride?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Charles 1998 posted:

I assume this is the town of Poopville.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Locator posted:

Poopville aka The Urban Centipede.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

The Locator posted:

Close

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Charles 1998 posted:

:golfclap:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is a very fitting small lake for a well-off suburban neighborhood.

I notice that in typical Skylines fashion the piers are about five stories above the boats.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I just noticed after looking at those images that there's a coal power plant in that neighborhood.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ashland WI has this bonkers post-industrial waterfront on the south share of Lake Superior. The ore dock and the wood treatment factory are gone, but the coal power plant is still there. It's like 500 yards outside the downtown commercial area.

A few years back it switched to biomass (wood pellets) but they had a coal powerplant just a stone's throw from downtown for 60 years. Along with a lumber treatment plant dumping unknown stuff in the lake.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If I have the University dlc and a high capacity campus, do I need to keep the vanilla university buildings around?

What ratio of tourism to leisure zoning should I have?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 27, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The vanilla buildings will just take students away from the university. Good luck getting people to attend it anyway though.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Grand Fromage posted:

The vanilla buildings will just take students away from the university. Good luck getting people to attend it anyway though.

This raised a question in my mind. With campus dlc, does the distance from the university a potential student lives (and the transportation options/friction to get there) affect that person’s decision or ability to attend? Like if I have one big campus in a corner of my sprawling metropolis, will broke-rear end Jimmy the 18 year old college freshman take a 2 hour transit ride each way to attend college from the other side of the map?

Or would plopping a vanilla university over by Jimmy actually increase overall attendance by making university access, well, accessible?

madmatt112 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 27, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno. I am always struggling to get anyone to go to the campus university and I don't understand why. Maybe distance is involved.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno. I am always struggling to get anyone to go to the campus university and I don't understand why. Maybe distance is involved.

You have to devote a hell of a lot of money and stuff to get a campus up to its highest tier. Dunno why though, its not like their gonna move to another imaginary city in a another imaginary state. But it does feel like you're constantly wooing the drat thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

wit posted:

You have to devote a hell of a lot of money and stuff to get a campus up to its highest tier. Dunno why though, its not like their gonna move to another imaginary city in a another imaginary state. But it does feel like you're constantly wooing the drat thing.

My campus is enormous and way over qualifies in every category except student numbers, but it's still stuck at three stars. I have demand for like 8,000 university students but only a thousand will go to the loving college that's in the city and has three transit services to it. It's a pain in the rear end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

My campus is enormous and way over qualifies in every category except student numbers, but it's still stuck at three stars. I have demand for like 8,000 university students but only a thousand will go to the loving college that's in the city and has three transit services to it. It's a pain in the rear end.

Yeah this has always been my problem too. The game will report like 10,000 student demand but my campus will have maybe 800 and it's right in the middle of town. It very slowly goes up over time but we're talking days and days of real time.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this has always been my problem too. The game will report like 10,000 student demand but my campus will have maybe 800 and it's right in the middle of town. It very slowly goes up over time but we're talking days and days of real time.
I find you have to a) select all the policies especially the universal education one, and b) overbuild the campus substantially, because even if those buildings only fill to 10%, they still add a bit to the student pop.

Also I only try to get one school to 5 stars at a time. Like, I'll try to drive all the students to the tech school, and once it's at 5 stars and I've unlocked the buildings, then I'll turn off the policies there and turn them on at the arts school.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

edit- redundant question

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 28, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I often find the same thing with DLC industry, I’ve never seen a building in one of my industry zones come close to filling up its worker quota.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I feel there's like one developer in Helsinki who designs their cities in a completely different way from how everyone else seems to play it, and they're confused because their industries and campuses and parks are working PERFECTLY, why isn't everyone else's?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's also a fundamental disconnect between people who play the game to Make Number Go Up and minmax everything to absurdity and the people who try to build realistic cities.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there any strategy to taxes other than no one will tolerate >13%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does this game have droughts? parts of my river where I was drawing water just dried up.