Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Spacebump posted:

Maybe Ellen’s dumb far right VP starts a war in the Middle East after Ellen is impeached. I kind of assume they won’t do a 9/11/war on terror parallel.

Are we thinking their version of the Monica Lewinsky scandal will be Ellen getting outed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think they'll avoid 9/11 if only because Ron Moore explored 9/11 and the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and insurgencies quite a bit on BSG.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Penitent posted:

Are we thinking their version of the Monica Lewinsky scandal will be Ellen getting outed?

Absolutely.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Senor Tron posted:

I think they'll avoid 9/11 if only because Ron Moore explored 9/11 and the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and insurgencies quite a bit on BSG.

Hopefully yeah, although in this timeline while the much smaller US presence in the Middle East likely means there is no motivation for 9/11 (no reason to demand US leave Saudi Arabia when they aren’t there) there could be a possibility of violence from Central America as there has been more US meddling there especially around Panama. Does the US still own the canal? Could see that getting wrecked as being a major disaster.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My speculation on where the season is gonna go:

-Ellen has a homosexuality related scandal and is impeached, leaving office.
-Margot loses her position/is prosecuted. Either through through being revealed, or revealing herself as a gently caress you to the agents blackmailing her.
-The existing anti-NASA sentiment combined with the Ellen and Margot scandals give NASA political opponents a perfect storm to point to the agency as being irresponsible, too powerful, and without oversight.
-NASA has many of its operations shifted to private industry, governed by political panels like the one Margot set up for astronaut selection.
-One of the last scenes of the season will be a cliché shot of someone (probably Aleida) walking out of mission control and turning off the lights.

I also think it's possible that they will still do a collapse of the USSR, just happening a few years later than it did in our universe.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 5, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Senor Tron posted:

My speculation on where the season is gonna go:

-Ellen has a homosexuality related scandal and is impeached, leaving office.
-Margot loses her position/is prosecuted. Either through through being revealed, or revealing herself as a gently caress you to the agents blackmailing her.
-The existing anti-NASA sentiment combined with the Ellen and Margot scandals give NASA political opponents a perfect storm to point to the agency as being irresponsible, too powerful, and without oversight.
-NASA has many of its operations shifted to private industry, governed by political panels like the one Margot set up for astronaut selection.

I also think it's possible that they will still do a collapse of the USSR, just happening a few years later than it did in our universe.

This is basically what I think will happen. At the same time, this show tends to be optimistic. I’d be shocked if they end the season without some kind of hope for next season.

I think Ellen gets stabbed in the back by her own party. This will cause her to not only be impeached but also be removed. Then her far right VP becomes POTUS. He takes funding for NASA to appease the coal and oil anti NASA protestors.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

This is basically what I think will happen. At the same time, this show tends to be optimistic. I’d be shocked if they end the season without some kind of hope for next season.

Absolutely, last scene fast forward (assuming the same format as the first two seasons) is probably an international Mars colony, their equivalent of the ISS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Republicans will ignore the post office and instead force NASA to prepay it's retirement program for the next 50 years or whatever they forced the postal service to do in the real world to try to make it lose money to show that government sucks or whatever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hopefully yeah, although in this timeline while the much smaller US presence in the Middle East likely means there is no motivation for 9/11 (no reason to demand US leave Saudi Arabia when they aren’t there) there could be a possibility of violence from Central America as there has been more US meddling there especially around Panama. Does the US still own the canal? Could see that getting wrecked as being a major disaster.

The USSR left Afghanistan too, making a lot fewer acolytes for bin Laden I’m sure. Also helium-3 means KSA doesn’t have the oil money and thus political daring to try to fund a 9/11.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Penitent posted:

She'll squirt all over an intern's dress? Possibly.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I can give you guys a far meaner (yet ultimately less corrosive thing) for any potential impeachment issue to focus around that ties in something from our four episodes so far.

"President Wilson. Were you ever aware of a second nuclear reactor at Jamestown?"

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Senor Tron posted:

Absolutely, last scene fast forward (assuming the same format as the first two seasons) is probably an international Mars colony, their equivalent of the ISS.

And when we get to the last episode of the last season, we fast forward a few hundred years and the Mars colony has developed into a self-sustaining group with their own government, mirroring how Earth also became unified. In fact, the whole solar system has become colonized including the asteroid belt. At the end of an episode, a hard-knocks detective is searching for information. He walks into a bar and asks, "Have you seen this woman recently?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

it's kinda funny how the whole premise of this series is "What if the Soviets got to the moon first" and then they still make the soviets basically second rate at everyhing and they just got everyone going to mars killed after extorting the technology to even get there out of margot

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it still tracks. For all we know, they barely got to the moon too. Their system was only able to get one person down. Also, their real life plan to get the cosmonaut back to the main ship was to shoot a harpoon at a target to tether the two craft and then spacewalk over.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I may be misremembering, but back in season 1, didn't NASA find evidence that at least one of the Soviet lunar missions had crashed and killed its crew? I think the suggestion was that the Soviets got ahead simply because they took a lot of chances, and were way more 'seat-of-the-pants' than even the Soviets in our reality, not that they actually had better tech and planning this time around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fast Luck posted:

it's kinda funny how the whole premise of this series is "What if the Soviets got to the moon first" and then they still make the soviets still just basically are second rate at everyhing and they just got everyone going to mars killed after extorting the technology to even get there out of margot

It keeps it kind of grounded. Despite the early success the Soviet space program was well behind NASA by the mid 60s and never caught up again, there was basically zero chance of them making it to the moon at all, let alone first. The fact that they pulled it off in this universe was likely a lot of luck and a big risk, but they managed. That still wouldn't change the fact that NASA's resources dwarf anything the Soviet program had access to, so they'd be struggling desperately. Plus the Soviet economy was mostly functional by this point due to massive amounts of oil, which working fusion is rendering obsolete.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

gonna have elon musk dragged before a space court for flagrantly disobeying and then deliberately interfering with the legal requirement to rescue a vessel in distress.

if i were Margot, I’d push on the Department of Justice to arrest him and every one of his lovely engineers

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Grand Fromage posted:

Despite the early success the Soviet space program was well behind NASA by the mid 60s and never caught up again, there was basically zero chance of them making it to the moon at all, let alone first. The fact that they pulled it off in this universe was likely a lot of luck and a big risk, but they managed.

the actual change to the timeline isn't the soviets beating us to the moon, it's korolev not dying a few years earlier

losing the genius behind their program was a major blow to the russians

I don't know enough about the history to say whether it's actually believable that with him in place they had a shot at beating us, but that is the show's position

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TIP posted:

the actual change to the timeline isn't the soviets beating us to the moon, it's korolev not dying a few years earlier

losing the genius behind their program was a major blow to the russians

I don't know enough about the history to say whether it's actually believable that with him in place they had a shot at beating us, but that is the show's position

It's not particularly believable, no amount of genius makes up for the difference in funding and resources between the two programs. NASA was already well ahead before Korolev's death. There's also disagreement about how important Korolev was and if he was actually beneficial to the program or not. But it's fine, it's fiction and it's not so absurd it isn't acceptable.

Like if they had China landing on the moon in the 60s that would be so ridiculous as to ruin the story. The Soviets doing it is sufficiently plausible to work.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 5, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finally all caught up with the show and I definitely agree with the theory that North Korea sent a guy out on a suicide mission to be number one.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

muscles like this! posted:

Finally all caught up with the show and I definitely agree with the theory that North Korea sent a guy out on a suicide mission to be number one.

Hard to think of any other plausible reason the 'probe launch' would be mentioned in a newscast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well someone is fuckin around in our current timeline thats for sure.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3543757-nasa-calls-mystery-rocket-crash-on-moon-highly-unusual/

quote:

NASA calls ‘mystery’ rocket crash on moon highly unusual

NASA said a rocket of unknown national origin that crashed into the moon earlier this year produced a double crater on the surface, an unexpected feat.

The agency’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which collects data on the moon, spotted two craters after the “mystery rocket body” collided with the moon on March 4, NASA said recently.

It created an eastern crater about 19.5 yards in diameter and a western crater about 17.5 yards in diameter.

The agency said the double crater might indicate that the rocket had a large mass on each end of it. A rocket that has used up its fuel usually will just have its mass on the end with the motor, with the other side being an empty fuel tank.

The rocket’s origin is uncertain, but the double crater that it produced might reveal its identity, according to the release.

A rocket body hitting the moon has not created a double crater before, the release states.

The Houston Chronicle reported Thursday that no space-exploring country has claimed the rocket as their own so far.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The only other thing I can think of is NASA/Russians decide to raid it for fuel.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The rescue mission just keeps expanding, including bringing back that poor SOB.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They also have to pick up Mark Watney somehow.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Grand Fromage posted:

They also have to pick up Mark Watney somehow.

Fortune... favors the brave.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

muscles like this! posted:

Do we know if that shot of a guy walking on Mars at the end of S2 was intended to be a preview of the future, or something that was actually happening at the time unbeknownst to NASA/the West?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lamont posted:

Do we know if that shot of a guy walking on Mars at the end of S2 was intended to be a preview of the future, or something that was actually happening at the time unbeknownst to NASA/the West?

Come As You Are by Nirvana was playing which would suggest it’s a flash forward

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lamont posted:

It was 1995.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yes I know this isn't a Disney show :colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Surely nuclear launch monitoring defense systems would pick up a rocket that big and thus would have an idea of where it came from?

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

bawfuls posted:

Surely nuclear launch monitoring defense systems would pick up a rocket that big and thus would have an idea of where it came from?

I thought it was generally theorized that the rocket was launched by China and Chang'e 5-T1's booster? Am I conflating two separate rocket/moon collisions?

More on topic, surely China will be a bigger player in the For All Mankind space scene going forward. Interesting that North Korea has been brought in as a participant first. Maybe Apple/Sony doesn't want to piss off China by dramatizing the hypothetical ineptitude of their early space program, or is that a stretch?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can use North Korea as an enemy because the North Korean people will never see it, and the guy who will can't do anything besides send Trump love letters about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I didn't catch if the June 4th massacres happened in China in this universe or not. You could posit instead using the protests to further the period of reform in the 80s instead of the massacres and conservative nationalist turn that happened after, leading to a PRC that isn't so awful in the current/future of their timeline. That would have more interesting options since you could have more international cooperation, and the PRC loving hated the Soviets so they're sort of a third party.

I really don't know what the North Korea stuff is about since them having a crewed space program in the 90s would be even more absurd than China doing it in the 80s, but we'll see. Other than one plot they're pretty good about making things work. :v: North Korea wouldn't be quite as bad off in the 90s as they were in the real world since their Soviet sugar daddy is still around propping them up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 6, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cojawfee posted:

You can use North Korea as an enemy because the North Korean people will never see it, and the guy who will can't do anything besides send Trump love letters about it.

Lol like that Red Dawn remake with Chris Hemsworth slumming it that was obviously supposed to be China but had an awkward switch to NK despite that making no sense. Although it did show a Subway restaurant operating normally in Spokane post-invasion so that was fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol like that Red Dawn remake with Chris Hemsworth slumming it that was obviously supposed to be China but had an awkward switch to NK despite that making no sense. Although it did show a Subway restaurant operating normally in Spokane post-invasion so that was fun.

A similar thing happened with the videogame series Homefront which was originally supposed to be China invading but got switched to North Korea and included absolutely ridiculous backstory like Kim Jong Un reuniting the Korean Peninsula and then convincing Japan to join their new country.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

a movie that was actually, from the beginning, made to be about north korea attempting to invade the US could be amazing

would probably have to be a comedy though

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

xerxus posted:

Have they said how long it would take to get to Mars?

It's about 8 months one way with our technology but they obviously have better tech.
The exposition of Margo saying "this 5 minute delay is killing us!" wounded me. It's important that the show deliver that information, but in reality the NASA people would have been dealing with an ever-increasing transmission delay for the last several months so saying it out loud that way is dumb

Everything that happens as the ships get further and further from Earth and further and further from each other requires engaging the emergency belief suspension system. who even knows what plausible-adjacent shenanigans will happen once this ragtag group of frenemies has to land on a thing

I do like how Dev and his private sector flunkies have been properly revealed as real bastards. Not sure how that conflict is going to play out with Dev and Ed having to play-by-email their space arguments at this point. Glad they didn't arbitrarily dump part of the ship or the fuel so there will be plenty left to explode around Mars.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Take the fuel from the Russian ship (scrape off the people goo) the solar sails and life support from nasa, and combine them into space pirate ed's kickass mars motel like three Lego sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The crew of Phoenix will get home by spinning the thing up real fast to fling a capsule back to earth