Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

Dear Liberals,

If "genetics" explains how your children look, then why does my son look like this?

Checkmate.

As long as he inherited my wife's genius trait, it's all copacetic. If not, the woods are a dangerous place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I beat down a random rebellion that I easily took care of, and my son and heir was the only vassal who didn't rebel, so I did as any good father would do and gave him half of Ireland.

The best part being that he had exactly the domain limit to hold all the requisite titles to perfectly split the island. I kept Galloway though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

Has anyone taken the “Consolidate the Canaries” decision? I started in Achinech in the Canaries and figured I’d work my way up to it, except I’ve run into a weird issue. You start with the new unreformed religion, Achamanism. In order to consolidate the Canaries you have to be feudal, so I’ve been working on reforming the religion. I finally get all the holy sites and enough piety that I’m able to reform. But once I do that the “Consolidate the Canaries” decision disappears.

I’m assuming this is a bug or something because I can’t figure out why the decision would suddenly be unavailable. It doesn’t mention anything about needing to be unreformed but it does require you to be feudal, which generally involves reforming, so I don’t get what the deal is. I waited a couple months in-game in case it was just a weird update issue, but that didn’t affect anything.

Do you still have the Duchy of Canarias title? It needs to be your primary title if you aren't unreformed.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

binge crotching posted:

Do you still have the Duchy of Canarias title? It needs to be your primary title if you aren't unreformed.

I do, but it appears I've messed up by creating the kingdom of Maghreb since the duchy is no longer my primary title and I can't destroy the kingdom. If I'm reading the requirements right it looks like having a Guanche/Iberian hybrid culture also counts as fulfilling that particular requirement. Which I wanted to do anyway, but I'm currently sitting at 0% cultural acceptance for them so that might take a bit longer.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oof, I just discovered that ending the Struggle via Dominance might not be the best choice if you want anyone outside of your culture to like you ever again. As Castilo-Norse I ended the Struggle, and now every other culture, even those who were never involved in the struggle, have a whopping -30 opinion malus with me! The pope is eyeing me while drafting a letter of excommunication as we speak, just because he's Czech and I said Iberia belongs to the Castilo-Norse. Maybe if I instead chose to claim Iberia on behalf of Christianity I'd be looking at less problems, but I had wanted to also convert all of Iberia to Mozarabism and having the Catholics like me enough to convert would've made things easier. It looks like I'm just up poo poo creek now!

Neurion fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 1, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Cant you end it with either a culture malus or religion malus effect on your dynasty? Imo always choose the religious malus one so you dont have to convert a bunch of culture and tank your culture dev

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the conquest ending is 'choose your bad ending' with an option for extra-bad. That's what you get for being a greedy powergamer!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ok so i actually checked before starting and despite buying the expansion pass or w/e its called on gamepass i still only have northern lords installed. How do I get it to actually recognise and install the rest?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I've encountered what looks like a very annoying bug. I opened up my most recent save and soon discovered my character and my family/courtiers can no longer get married using "Find Spouse" or by clicking the empty spouse icon. The "Arrange Marriage" one still works, but that's the one that only looks at characters in your court as matches. The settings are on the default "all" for everything, so I didn't just accidentally set it to some weird thing. I'm in an equal inheritance culture, so the matrilineal option for my daughter would normally have plenty of candidates. It's still zero when I unchecked it though.

Fortunately I had an autosave from the beginning of the year so I reloaded that and everything worked fine. But I check it a month later in game and see that everyone's back to not being able to marry anyone. I even waited a year to see if it was temporary and also had my character commit suicide to see if it would reset on succession, but nope, my next character and all of my courtiers still had zero valid partners. So I reload my autosave again to see if I can narrow down when I become unmarriable and it turns out it's due to the White Hart event chain.

(everything normal, before I click on any event options)
(after clicking the first option, which I'd always done previously)
(upon reloading and clicking the second option)

So maybe just ignore that event chain, although I swear I've gone through it before without any weirdness. Thank god I still had my autosave and only lost a couple months of progress, I would've been pretty upset if I hadn't noticed until it was too late to fix.

edit: Holding Court also breaks it, so I guess this game is just hosed.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 2, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Serephina posted:

Yea, the conquest ending is 'choose your bad ending' with an option for extra-bad. That's what you get for being a greedy powergamer!

Conquest owns if you choose religion and one of the big ones. It gives great CBs

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've had that unable to marry problem as well, but it cleared up after quitting and restarting the game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I also have the unable to marry problem. Only, it’s my real life…. Lol.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

indigi posted:

I also have the unable to marry problem. Only, it’s my real life…. Lol.

Have you tried quitting and restarting?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I think I'm having problems getting the DLC to work because I have the latest version of the game and receive the error of all my saves that it is on 1.6.1.1 and might have bugs as a result. Xbox gamepass shows it as version 1.0.3.6 or something. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and all thats managed to do is lose me the DLC option on the left of the CK3 launcher. I'd really like to actually play with the DLC I've bought lol

edit: seems I'm actually on 1.6.1.2 now which at least explains the warning

Tried everything I can to get game pass to actually recognise the update and failed. rip. should've just bought it all through steam

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 3, 2022

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Ah gently caress I've got a Roger a Muirebe infestation in my court

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Start an intrigue scheme to discover who is the evil twin!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CK3 getting in on the multiverse action.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/TitoMahalo/status/1544086965443854336

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just wanna know how you have -17 to yourself, nevermind it actually being raised to that value. (Please no internet jokes about self-loathing) Shouldn't you always have positive rep to your own traits?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What are some solid mods to use? I've been looking around the workshop and I've only found a few that I think work well:

Less Restricted Iberian Legacies & Less Restricted Northern Legacies

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815536473

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815998944

These allow other cultures other than the Norse and the iberians to enjoy (checks notes) plundering, cities, and nepotism. If you have the right cultural traditions you can unlock those legacies. I prefer this to either totally unrestricted or the vanilla restrictions.

Balanced Buyable building slots
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2760960044
I just like being able to improve holdings without needing to RNG a Lunatic ruler or only be able to do this to Holmatun.

Ecumenical Elopement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378956134
Because when two people are willing to forsake the sacred bonds or their marriages to be together, being of different religions isn't likely to stop them.

Battlefield Safety
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216827183
Basically knights and champions wear armor and are more likely to get captured than mangled in the first fight they get into.

What are some good mods?

I tried Tales of Ireland but I bounced off it. I've been thinking of Sinews of War out but I'm not sure if it's any good?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

had to double check what thread i was in when i saw this tweet

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

had to double check what thread i was in when i saw this tweet

Me hitting up all my big brothers (in law) with my 1000 renown whenever somebody picks on me

Cmonnnn it'll be fun

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Servetus posted:

What are some solid mods to use? I've been looking around the workshop and I've only found a few that I think work well:

Less Restricted Iberian Legacies & Less Restricted Northern Legacies

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815536473

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815998944

These allow other cultures other than the Norse and the iberians to enjoy (checks notes) plundering, cities, and nepotism. If you have the right cultural traditions you can unlock those legacies. I prefer this to either totally unrestricted or the vanilla restrictions.

Balanced Buyable building slots
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2760960044
I just like being able to improve holdings without needing to RNG a Lunatic ruler or only be able to do this to Holmatun.

Ecumenical Elopement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378956134
Because when two people are willing to forsake the sacred bonds or their marriages to be together, being of different religions isn't likely to stop them.

Battlefield Safety
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216827183
Basically knights and champions wear armor and are more likely to get captured than mangled in the first fight they get into.

What are some good mods?

I tried Tales of Ireland but I bounced off it. I've been thinking of Sinews of War out but I'm not sure if it's any good?
That’s a good list, I’m going try some of those. Is there anything to eliminate or lower that huge cooldown between changing culture traditions, by the way? I think that is way too much

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a default option in the game settings to change tradition stuff. You can even halve it without losing cheevo eligibility.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

There's a default option in the game settings to change tradition stuff. You can even halve it without losing cheevo eligibility.

Oh great. Never noticed.

Thanks

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Servetus posted:

What are some good mods?

I'm a big Sinews of War fan, it knows what it's trying to do (make a more realistic population/economy simulation than vanilla - which admittedly is not always hard), and executes on it well without much scope creep (except for the change to narrow the difference between levies and MaA, but that's a good change) or MEIOU-esque performance murder (unlike a lot of other mods trying to do this). If you vibe with its goal I heartily recommend - I don't think it's for everybody but it's definitely for me.

(Note: a lot of the videos and stuff about the mod are out of date - the dev is very active and has majorly reworked it since its initial release, and indeed SoW itself is in large part a rework of an earlier mod called Dieu et Mon Droit)

Other go-tos for me are (aside from my own mods which I will leave for other people to theoretically comment on, or the really popular stuff like RICE/VIET/big UI stuff like Barbershop/Nameplates/Notifications/Duel Overlay/UniUI - so this is a few mods I think are hidden gems):

More Interactive Vassals involves vassals more in their lieges' wars - instead of just raising the liege's levy count, vassals (precisely which ones depends on the war) join as allies, along with their MaA. Civil wars use a system similar to CK2's Game of Thrones mod where uninvolved vassals have an option to declare for the liege or the rebels. I'd leave off the AI improvements game rule -- it's mostly overpowered and cheap AI-only CBs and other rule changes to make things easier for them to consolidate -- but who knows, you might like it more than I do. Not exactly a hidden gem but definitely makes things more interesting.

Neighbours Defend Against Holy Wars: You know that tooltip in the Declare War window for Holy Wars that says "<target's faith> rulers may join the war"? They never do, because Paradox didn't get around to scripting AI logic to determine when they do. This mod fixes that so that AI rulers who are eligible can decide to join based on distance, opinion of you or the target, and other factors.

(side note: even in vanilla, you, the player, can join regular Holy Wars as a defender if the target is of your faith using the same Offer To Join War interaction that works to join your allies even if they haven't requested it. I don't recall offhand if there's a distance limit or something.)

Inspirational makes some neat tweaks to artifacts and inspirations that have very quickly become "can't play without" for me.

Big Uncle has done a lot of useful UI changes that are worth looking at if your UI setup is compatible - I think MOST of them play nice with UniUI but can't currently confirm - but Social Relations Expanded, Inheritable Relations, and Gathering Takes Time are all filling major gaps in the vanilla game.

Whichever one of thread regular Magli Zeal's tenet mods suits your taste (since tenets are messy to mod, you either need to only pick ONE mod that adds/changes tenets, look for a compatch, or get good at making your own). Tenets to Doctrines changes some boring tenets into doctrines so there's more flexibility in building religions, Traditional Tenets does that AND adds some interesting combo tenets for pagan faiths, Medieval Matriarchs does both of those AND adds more support/mechanics for smashing the heteropatriarchy.

Submission to Authority (revising internal lawmaking to be more interesting than just raising CA), Loyal to a Fault (revising liege-vassal relations to make Opinion less of a god stat) and Prisoners of War (prisoners are now attached to the armies that captured them until they return to their home territory, so, among other things, they can be rescued). Trick or Trait (hides congenital traits until adolescence or adulthood - so before then what you see is that their parents had the trait and they MIGHT get it) by the same author is also good, Inherichance - vary which of your heirs you continue as when you die, based on game rules - has a fun gimmick if you're into that).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 6, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Just saw the AI win a crusade without any help from me, and someone of my dynasty was awarded Jerusalem. Win win for me.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm a big Sinews of War fan, it knows what it's trying to do (make a more realistic population/economy simulation than vanilla - which admittedly is not always hard), and executes on it well without much scope creep (except for the change to narrow the difference between levies and MaA, but that's a good change) or MEIOU-esque performance murder (unlike a lot of other mods trying to do this). If you vibe with its goal I heartily recommend - I don't think it's for everybody but it's definitely for me.

(Note: a lot of the videos and stuff about the mod are out of date - the dev is very active and has majorly reworked it since its initial release, and indeed SoW itself is in large part a rework of an earlier mod called Dieu et Mon Droit)

Other go-tos for me are (aside from my own mods which I will leave for other people to comment on, or the really popular stuff like RICE/VIET/big UI stuff like Barbershop/Nameplates/Notifications/Duel Overlay/UniUI):

More Interactive Vassals involves vassals more in their lieges' wars - instead of just raising the liege's levy count, vassals (precisely which ones depends on the war) join as allies, along with their MaA. Civil wars use a system similar to CK2's Game of Thrones mod where uninvolved vassals have an option to declare for the liege or the rebels. I'd leave off the AI improvements game rule but who knows, you might like it more than I do.

Neighbours Defend Against Holy Wars: You know that tooltip in the Declare War window for Holy Wars that says "<target's faith> rulers may join the war"? They never do, because Paradox didn't get around to scripting AI logic to determine when they do. This mod fixes that so that AI rulers who are eligible can decide to join based on distance, opinion of you or the target, and other factors.

(side note: even in vanilla, you, the player, can join regular Holy Wars as a defender if the target is of your faith using the same Offer To Join War interaction that works to join your allies even if they haven't requested it. I don't recall offhand if there's a distance limit or something.)

Inspirational makes some neat tweaks to artifacts and inspirations that have very quickly become "can't play without" for me.

Big Uncle has done a lot of useful UI changes that are worth looking at if your UI setup is compatible - I think MOST of them play nice with UniUI but can't currently confirm - but Social Relations Expanded, Inheritable Relations, and Gathering Takes Time are all filling major gaps in the vanilla game.

Whichever one of thread regular Magli Zeal's tenet mods suits your taste (since tenets are messy to mod, you either need to only pick ONE mod that adds/changes tenets, look for a compatch, or get good at making your own). Tenets to Doctrines changes some boring tenets into doctrines so there's more flexibility in building religions, Traditional Tenets does that AND adds some interesting combo tenets for pagan faiths, Medieval Matriarchs does both of those AND adds more support/mechanics for smashing the heteropatriarchy.

Submission to Authority (revising internal lawmaking to be more interesting than just raising CA), Loyal to a Fault (revising liege-vassal relations to make Opinion less of a god stat) and Prisoners of War (prisoners are now attached to the armies that captured them until they return to their home territory, so, among other things, they can be rescued). Trick or Trait (hides congenital traits until adulthood - so before then what you see is that their parents had it) by the same author is also good, Inherichance - vary which of your heirs you continue as when you die, based on game rules - has a fun gimmick if you're into that).

Much obliged, I'm gonna check out sinews

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

I just wanna know how you have -17 to yourself, nevermind it actually being raised to that value. (Please no internet jokes about self-loathing) Shouldn't you always have positive rep to your own traits?

Actually no, there are self-hating traits! Namely Ambitious has a negative same-trait opinion.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dallan Invictus posted:

Other go-tos for me are (aside from my own mods which I will leave for other people to theoretically comment on, or the really popular stuff like RICE/VIET/big UI stuff like Barbershop/Nameplates/Notifications/Duel Overlay/UniUI - so this is a few mods I think are hidden gems):

More Interactive Vassals involves vassals more in their lieges' wars - instead of just raising the liege's levy count, vassals (precisely which ones depends on the war) join as allies, along with their MaA. Civil wars use a system similar to CK2's Game of Thrones mod where uninvolved vassals have an option to declare for the liege or the rebels. I'd leave off the AI improvements game rule -- it's mostly overpowered and cheap AI-only CBs and other rule changes to make things easier for them to consolidate -- but who knows, you might like it more than I do. Not exactly a hidden gem but definitely makes things more interesting.

Submission to Authority (revising internal lawmaking to be more interesting than just raising CA), Loyal to a Fault (revising liege-vassal relations to make Opinion less of a god stat) and Prisoners of War (prisoners are now attached to the armies that captured them until they return to their home territory, so, among other things, they can be rescued). Trick or Trait (hides congenital traits until adolescence or adulthood - so before then what you see is that their parents had the trait and they MIGHT get it) by the same author is also good, Inherichance - vary which of your heirs you continue as when you die, based on game rules - has a fun gimmick if you're into that).

thanks for the advice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh man Sinews of War does look interesting, will have to check that out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok I gave up and requested a game pass refund and just bought the whole thing through steam. Cant wait to actually experience all this new content tomorrow

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m still dealing with confederate partition but I managed to get enough land and titles to give to all my kids so that they’re all satisfied and my heir is still getting the good stuff. Then I discover my second son has screwed it all up by abdicating all of his titles in favor of his daughter, so now he’s back in the line of succession and entitled to half my poo poo when I die. The worst part is he’s my best friend so I can’t even do the old imprison and execute trick to get rid of him. I guess I could go out and conquer another duchy for him but how do I know he’s not going to pull the same poo poo again?!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The one time that happened to me, where my son abdicated, I went and gave him more titles and he ended up dying from stress at like 16. So you could always try that!

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I hosed over my current ruler because I didn't pay attention to that stuff, playing a game as tribal Sweden. It's been a bloodbath ever since.

The king of Sweden is a one-legged berserker torturer with insane Prowess. He recently caught a jarl in bed with his wife, who then gave birth to the jarl's child immediately afterwards. He promptly had all three imprisoned. As soon as they were locked away he began having visions of a forest of the dead and decided that all of his prisoners must be impaled outside his castle, some dozen people altogether. This included the adulterous Queen and her illegitimate child. People now call him the Impaler. Then he had his half-brother murdered by bandits for being suspected of a coup plot.

Not so good vibes in tribal Scandinavia right now

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

wizardofloneliness posted:

I’m still dealing with confederate partition but I managed to get enough land and titles to give to all my kids so that they’re all satisfied and my heir is still getting the good stuff. Then I discover my second son has screwed it all up by abdicating all of his titles in favor of his daughter, so now he’s back in the line of succession and entitled to half my poo poo when I die. The worst part is he’s my best friend so I can’t even do the old imprison and execute trick to get rid of him. I guess I could go out and conquer another duchy for him but how do I know he’s not going to pull the same poo poo again?!

I'm normally too stingy to do this, but when some asshat goes to such great lengths in order to gently caress up succession... kill disinherit him.

Optionally, be a total munchkin and put elective succession on all the duchies you care about (1.5k prestige each iirc?) and just vote them off to your player heir. Cheezy, yes. [kiiiill hiiiiim]

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I started a game up in Sweden and completely forgot about elective succession. I need to get on that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

I'm normally too stingy to do this, but when some asshat goes to such great lengths in order to gently caress up succession... kill disinherit him.

Optionally, be a total munchkin and put elective succession on all the duchies you care about (1.5k prestige each iirc?) and just vote them off to your player heir. Cheezy, yes. [kiiiill hiiiiim]

I have Mystical Ancestors so no disinheriting for me. I’m playing in Africa this time so I didn’t have access to most elective successions up until I feudalized but I guess I could do that now. I just ended up taking over another duchy and giving it to him.

I understood confederate partition after using it for so long but then I switched to regular partition and now it’s confusing again. I currently have two duchies and all of my children sans heir also have their own duchies. My heir is getting my main kingdom and duchy but my annoying son is still slated to get my second duchy and its counties on top of all the other poo poo he has. So I just destroyed the duchy title and now my heir is back to getting everything. It seems like my heir will always get my main duchy and at least one of the de jure counties but also any counties I have that do not currently have an existing duchy title. But once I create a duchy for those counties then one of my other kids will inherit all of it instead. Whatever, my character’s old as hell and will be dead soon so this works for me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Normal partition hands things out round-robin as expected, with the notable detail that everything de jure underneath a title gets given away with it. If you create a duchy, it'll get handed off to a kid who was only getting (eg) one county, but now his 'only' inheritance comes with a lot more stuff. You can fully destroy a lot of titles to make sure nobody but your heir gets anything large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

There's definitely a bug with find spouse after adding and removing modifiers based on traits. It seems to reset it to the same options as Arrange Marriage.