Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I saved this image when going back to read some older stuff, the anatomy here is really something. He has improved for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i didn't say his style wasn't effective, or hadn't evolved, or wasn't looked up to or emulated

just that it's ugly. i am basing saying this off of attempts to get others into akagi/kaiji and having been told "it's ugly." and when i hear that it's like "yeah you kinda right" because come on. it's awkwardly, consistently angular. all spikes and sharp angles. that's part of what most is amazing about his earlier art, watching the 80s vibe melt and become what's so striking now. the gambling world a'int friend shaped and the art reflects that and that's cool,

and still ugly

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gin To Kin owns so much

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eight-Six posted:

just that it's ugly. i am basing saying this off of attempts to get others into akagi/kaiji and having been told "it's ugly." and when i hear that it's like "yeah you kinda right" because come on. it's awkwardly, consistently angular. all spikes and sharp angles. that's part of what most is amazing about his earlier art, watching the 80s vibe melt and become what's so striking now. the gambling world a'int friend shaped and the art reflects that and that's cool,

and still ugly

Honestly? It ain't ugly. Eye of the beholder and all that poo poo. Ugly to me would be something like, dunno, Baki.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Fukumoto’s art style is ugly because gambling is an ugly vice that lets the worst part of humanity shine through

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is cool, starting off in a mahjong magazine rather than a dedicated manga publication might have given him more freedom style-wise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

goblin week posted:

Fukumoto’s art style is ugly because gambling is an ugly vice that lets the worst part of humanity shine through

:hai:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSz-zSa6o5w

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Davedave24 posted:

I saved this image when going back to read some older stuff, the anatomy here is really something. He has improved for sure

i see nothing wrong with this image

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If he's squatting it's bad if he's sitting it's fine

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Davedave24 posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
This arc is just so rich in dudes who rock

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Whenever you're at your darkest moment in FKMTworld a kindly but eccentric, working-class, middle-aged man will step in to help you out

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Back to reading Kaiji regularly. I had just finished the E-Card arc when I took a break so now Kaiji is suffering in the deep pit of hell and trying to deny himself beer and stuff. I'm hoping he'll find a friend soon. I've loved that so far FKMT seems to champion a sense of community and compassion being the way through the hellish conditions Kaiji finds himself in rather than the supernatural abilities of a single savant. A commonality of the plot so far is Kaiji folding in on himself and turning away from his peers and relying on his canniness to win the gambles. But this is unsustainable, so he creates a community of sorts to upend things. Even if it ultimately comes down to a one-on-one showdown between Kaiji and a big bad, it's his friends usually who helped him get to be in that position in the first place.

I'm also hoping against hope that Kaiji won't get into any worse situations than the Teiai work pit. But... poo poo can always get worse is the other commonality I've noticed.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

He suffers.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

apophenium posted:

Back to reading Kaiji regularly. I had just finished the E-Card arc when I took a break so now Kaiji is suffering in the deep pit of hell and trying to deny himself beer and stuff. I'm hoping he'll find a friend soon. I've loved that so far FKMT seems to champion a sense of community and compassion being the way through the hellish conditions Kaiji finds himself in rather than the supernatural abilities of a single savant. A commonality of the plot so far is Kaiji folding in on himself and turning away from his peers and relying on his canniness to win the gambles. But this is unsustainable, so he creates a community of sorts to upend things. Even if it ultimately comes down to a one-on-one showdown between Kaiji and a big bad, it's his friends usually who helped him get to be in that position in the first place.

I'm also hoping against hope that Kaiji won't get into any worse situations than the Teiai work pit. But... poo poo can always get worse is the other commonality I've noticed.

One of the best things about the series is that you legitimately never know if Kaiji will win or not. In most series you'd see the threat of "losing a limb" or "getting thrown into a labor camp" and think "oh, okay, so the protagonist is going to win, those stakes are way too high" and then Kaiji still just fucks it up.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Kaiji's a terrible judge of character. His downward spirals resulted from having trust in people who betrayed him. Chang and Mario seem like the first people to truly have his back in his entire life.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Yeah there's no way this old guy he's doing this Pachinko with is legit, especially considering the two previous winners. Kaiji's gonna end up back in the pit. Or worse! But I'm really surprised he's trusted this guy at all.

I'm glad Kaiji eventually finds some cool dudes. Some of the guys he's helped or had help him so far were all right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao at the kaiji wiki

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Bog of Desire -END-

What a wild ride. All future Kaiji is just fun slice of life stuff, right? I'm excited to see Kaiji enjoy the rest of his days, not gamble himself back into life or death situations!

Also, I get why the wiki editor wrote what they did about Endō. gently caress that guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am just hoping the next chapters will get translated soon. Been a month without Kaiji.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kaiji is finally back after a month https://mangadex.org/chapter/4c58cc5a-675f-4ffb-9114-ed4a1a8f2c0c/1

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yasugawa what are you talking about. I've never seen a price tag that hasn't had a 99 on some end of it

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

7 new mamiya chapters just dropped

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goblin week posted:

Yasugawa what are you talking about. I've never seen a price tag that hasn't had a 99 on some end of it

Oh no he figured it out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurosawa is 100% killing someone on this arc

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
One Poker question - Who had betting priority if the previous round was a tie? I don't remember if any actual ties happened. I assume whoever had it before still has it in the next round?

dipwood fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 5, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dipwood posted:

One Poker question - Who had betting priority if the previous round was a tie? I don't remember if any actual ties happened. I assume whoever had it before still has it in the next round?

That is the case I recall, but no ties happened I think.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I've just begun the Washizu mahjong part of Akagi. Utterly mindblowing that this game, this night in the manga, unfolds over more than 200 chapters spanning 10+ years of monthly releases. And from what I've heard FKMT manages to keep it pretty taut all the way through. Quite the impressive feat of dedication.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

apophenium posted:

I've just begun the Washizu mahjong part of Akagi. Utterly mindblowing that this game, this night in the manga, unfolds over more than 200 chapters spanning 10+ years of monthly releases. And from what I've heard FKMT manages to keep it pretty taut all the way through. Quite the impressive feat of dedication.

20 years. and the best parts is probably the last game, game 6.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

apophenium posted:

It's epic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Newest Kaiji. I see how he did it.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
Same, although I hope they spend the next 10 chapters going crazy trying to piece together what happened through various different metaphors before they realize it lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's the exact same trick that kaiji pulled to get his passport...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Wave posted:

Well that was used to get in, this time it's being used to get out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that was used to get in, this time it's being used to get out.

Also didn't Kaiji use the same trick to sneak out when he was at his mom's place? Been a bit since I read that section, but I remember him at least considering it if not pulling it off entirely.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Every single person who works at Teiai is just the dumbest motherfucker imaginable

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also didn't Kaiji use the same trick to sneak out when he was at his mom's place? Been a bit since I read that section, but I remember him at least considering it if not pulling it off entirely.

His passport was at his mom's place. He dressed up as an old lady to get in, but he dressed as his friend with the motorcycle to get out.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

2.4 Billion Disguises Arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Maybe Mario passes really well and Fukumoto’s art can’t really show it