Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Has Mike Grier even been a coach? Where is this GM stuff coming from? Good for him I guess. I'm sure the Sharks know what they're doing!
He was assistant coach at a few places and had some hockey ops job with the Rangers this year.

It's at least a bit concerning that people bring up his brother being GM of the Miami Dolphins as a qualification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He was assistant coach at a few places and had some hockey ops job with the Rangers this year.

It's at least a bit concerning that people bring up his brother being GM of the Miami Dolphins as a qualification

It's in their DNA to manage sports franchises with an aquatic theme

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is Mike Grier, Oilers legend, the first black GM?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Is Mike Grier, Oilers legend, the first black GM?

Brett Peterson became the league's first black AGM in 2020 for the Panthers, so yeah, I believe Grier would be the first black GM.

That's an awesome honor, but man is his work cut out for him. That org looks like its setup to fail for another three years minimum.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Has Mike Grier even been a coach? Where is this GM stuff coming from? Good for him I guess. I'm sure the Sharks know what they're doing!

It's an off the wall choice, but I look at 90% of the GMs in the league and I think, off the wall might not be so bad.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

There are many retreads who have done absolutely terrible work in every one of their GM stints, who have and will continue to be re-hired, and Grier is definitely not one of them.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

fisting by many posted:

There are many retreads who have done absolutely terrible work in every one of their GM stints, who have and will continue to be re-hired, and Grier is definitely not one of them.

It's not as many as I thought!
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1543783669332168704

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

I usually think of Pronger as a dumb, dirty shithead now that he’s retired, but I forgot how loving dominant he was. That ‘06 Oilers team was the most I have ever seen a single defenseman carry a whole team, and then he gets traded the next year to play with Scott Niedermayer where they immediately won a cup together

I saw Pronger live with the Blues in St. Louis sometime around 02/03/04 and the two things I remember from that are that he had a comically small head, like small head mode in a video game small when he was on the ice.

the other thing was that we ordered St. Louis style pizza to our room and my Dad(from NJ) got so mad he called the place to yell at them. Still can't believe they eat that poo poo, and I'm a gourmand

Scaramouche posted:

Where does Bure fit on the v skating vs Canadian skating spectrum

he was an early progenitor of the modern style imo. occasionally he used v-skating in the offensive zone, but he was one of the earliest guys to master toe flicking at the end of your stride (the "Bure drill" in hockey is practicing skating with your skates never leaving the ice, but most folks leave out the emphasis on the toe pick even though that's the point! pun intended). He was an early guy to have really nasty linear crossovers, too. he also had really long legs like Niedermeyer.

on his Wiki it talks about his skating style starting from the outside of his edges instead of the inside, and I've heard poo poo like that forever, but I've never really bought that or seen that from his videos. he skates like Connor, except Connor is more athletic, faster, more hockey sense, more practiced, etc.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I guess a completely random ex-player is a better shot than another random retread. I have memories of him scoring to beat the Leafs and then SBA writing poetry about him.

He's a slightly more creative choice than say Dave Nonis or someone. If nothing else he's not going to insist on bringing a whole bunch of his preferred former staffers to surround him and be yes men because he doesn't have any. The Sharks seem to have an organizational mantra of letting GMs have a lot of time to figure things out so I wouldn't be worried about him over the first few years unless he goes insane. They tend to let their manager stick around for a decade or more, they've had 4 in 30 years of team history and two since 1996.

Still, this is a pretty tough job to step into but not at awful as it seems. They have some bloated mega contracts remaining but next summer they'll have a fair bit of cap space and have the potential to look totally different. Letting Wilson's final act be going 8 years on Hertl rather than trade him at the deadline was a pretty bad decision. Literally none of their guys making over $6M have any value at all on the trade market.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 5, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the other thing was that we ordered St. Louis style pizza to our room and my Dad(from NJ) got so mad he called the place to yell at them. Still can't believe they eat that poo poo, and I'm a gourmand

This is funny, because I would be the first to say that east coast pizza is all better than St. Louis style , etc. that said, I don’t know how it was that song ago, but now a days I think it’s fine. The cheese is really good and just make sure to get a lot of toppings IMO.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Laine talks Winnipeg vs. Columbus:

https://twitter.com/SailaSotavalta/status/1544303758892535809
https://twitter.com/SailaSotavalta/status/1544300209844506630

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I saw Pronger live with the Blues in St. Louis sometime around 02/03/04 and the two things I remember from that are that he had a comically small head, like small head mode in a video game small when he was on the ice.

he was an early progenitor of the modern style imo. occasionally he used v-skating in the offensive zone, but he was one of the earliest guys to master toe flicking at the end of your stride (the "Bure drill" in hockey is practicing skating with your skates never leaving the ice, but most folks leave out the emphasis on the toe pick even though that's the point! pun intended). He was an early guy to have really nasty linear crossovers, too. he also had really long legs like Niedermeyer.

on his Wiki it talks about his skating style starting from the outside of his edges instead of the inside, and I've heard poo poo like that forever, but I've never really bought that or seen that from his videos. he skates like Connor, except Connor is more athletic, faster, more hockey sense, more practiced, etc.

that's on your pops for not doing his research. it'd be like me getting really mad at some poor nyc bbq place serving me up some dry, small portioned meats. like no poo poo it's not gonna be what i expected!

pronger is probably the most dominant defender i've ever seen on the blues, even more than macinnis

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1544331550858383360?t=cUUtEXJ8Uc3v5jB_We_pYg&s=19

I guess Wickenheiser's time as an actual doctor ended up being pretty brief.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Metcalf is in the funny position of already being “Assistant to the General Manager” so he’s just losing a couple words in his title. Hard to see what the difference is between Hardy and Laurence Gilman now if they’re both AGMs running the Marlies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have full confidence in Mike Grier's potential to become a terrible retread.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1544331550858383360?t=cUUtEXJ8Uc3v5jB_We_pYg&s=19

Special Advisor Advising

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ThinkTank posted:

I think she's not done her residency, so she needs to go do more ER training before she can work independently.

I don't blame her, I'm sure AGM for the Leafs pays better and lets you sleep more. Though people probably still expect miracles.

Edit: got her specialty wrong

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 5, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah she's still a resident and I imagine probably not operating as one given she's been with the Leafs for a year or so now. Still, that's a hugely impressive career path but it's a little disappointing that if I end up in ER I can't get patched up by one of Canada's all time greatest athletes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah she's still a resident and I imagine probably not operating as one given she's been with the Leafs for a year or so now. Still, that's a hugely impressive career path but it's a little disappointing that if I end up in ER I can't get patched up by one of Canada's all time greatest athletes.

If you start waiting now she might be there by the time you're up.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

It's definitely the Rangers. New York sports fans in general are extremely annoying.

Only fans I've seen stand up and drunkenly yell at the home crowd for not cheering sufficiently or correctly. I've seen Rags fans do it in D.C. and Mets fans do it in Florida.

Having said that, I've always enjoyed seeing games in New York because of the energy and the nuanced insults at away fans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/1544334249100054529?t=aqPVvF8IBdWDPHXJrPbJww&s=19

I share this only as a word of warning to you all

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hahaha, he's Canada's problem now/again. Did you know his notebook was given to him as a gift from a hockey player after they graduated from Shattuck-St Mary's and were drafted 127th in 2017?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Metcalf is in the funny position of already being “Assistant to the General Manager” so he’s just losing a couple words in his title. Hard to see what the difference is between Hardy and Laurence Gilman now if they’re both AGMs running the Marlies.

I'm guessing Metcalf is a seniorty based pay/title bump, with maybe a bit of official coronation as King of the Nerds.

Interesting that with 5 AGMs, they don't have anyone with a traditional scouting or ex-NHLer background.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jhet posted:

Hahaha, he's Canada's problem now/again. Did you know his notebook was given to him as a gift from a hockey player after they graduated from Shattuck-St Mary's and were drafted 127th in 2017?

Also he stands uncomfortably close to people while interviewing them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I like how he convinced the Sens to trade for Travis Hamonic with zero retention and then immediately got fired. Thanks for the solid bud.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1544351017155829762?t=F4lL6yRTyGJxw2S1AGsPew&s=19

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I get why the buyout, but why is it cheaper because he's younger?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe it’s a punishment, because you have to really suck to be bought out under 26.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Jhet posted:

Because that's what they negotiated in the CBA.

White's definitely an NHLer. He's more of a third-liner than a top-6 player, and was overpaid for that. I think $2.5-$3.5m would be a good contract for him. I don't think the Sens have 9 better forwards than him, but I get why they bought him out given their budget and the big expenditures coming up in the near term (Norris/Stutzle extensions, hypothetical top-6 free agent) and this being the last year of the cheap buyout window for him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chad Sexington posted:

It's definitely the Rangers. New York sports fans in general are extremely annoying.

Only fans I've seen stand up and drunkenly yell at the home crowd for not cheering sufficiently or correctly. I've seen Rags fans do it in D.C. and Mets fans do it in Florida.

Having said that, I've always enjoyed seeing games in New York because of the energy and the nuanced insults at away fans.

How are Penguins fans not higher on this list? They're the reason I went from Pittsburgh being a safety team to pull for if Columbus didn't get in to laughing at their failures.

Prior to this year, I think the last time I pulled for the Pens in the playoffs was like 2014.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe it’s a punishment, because you have to really suck to be bought out under 26.

He’s only played something like 30 games the last two seasons, so it matches with the over $4m they’re spending on him to not play.

I just didn’t know if there was a reason beyond that logic for the buyout being cheaper. And yes, I know that’s what it says in the CBA, but why they did that I didn’t know. This is a good case for why the league would want it, and I guess the players would buy in thinking that it’s more space for other players who might be better?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Gonna be really cool when he signs with Tampa for nothing and puts up 50 points next year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The logic is probably that a younger player has enough earning years left that them getting less in a buyout is okay.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gimme the Kassian buyout if no one's gonna trade for him

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

There's a few reasons but the main one is the NHLPA is a terrible union who keeps caving to whatever the owners ask for.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Do the Lefas have an actual team doctor MD or just athletic trainers?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Back to lovely Ice America where you belong! Hahahahah

... wait, I live there. gently caress

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
that's wild that they only have to pay 1/3 of the contract value if they're under 26. I didn't even realize that they didn't even have to pay the full value of the contract. seems like something they should look into changing!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

that's on your pops for not doing his research. it'd be like me getting really mad at some poor nyc bbq place serving me up some dry, small portioned meats. like no poo poo it's not gonna be what i expected!

pronger is probably the most dominant defender i've ever seen on the blues, even more than macinnis

this was like MapQuest-era so it's understandable. we just thought "eh let's try a little of this local flavor, what's the best St. Louis style pizza place?" and the concierge/front desk person said "Oh you gotta try Imo's".

turns out you do not, in fact, have to try Imo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do the Lefas have an actual team doctor MD or just athletic trainers?

They not only have a medical director/team physician that has an MD title, they also have a orthopedic consultant and 2 dentists listed on their site though I assume that the other 3 are part-time/on-call.

Koopa Kid posted:

Hard to see what the difference is between Hardy and Laurence Gilman now if they’re both AGMs running the Marlies.

Looks like they updated the site since this morning. Gilman's lost the AGM title and has a fancy Governor of the Marlies title instead. Not sure what that means but I'm guessing it moves him out of Dubas' hierarchy to run the team as it's own little org under Shanny where he's doing more of the business/non-hockey management while Hardy gets the traditional pick players and coaches job.