Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
In commercial architecture the buildings are constructed by two seperate yet equally important groups. The core, providing infrastructure, and the shell, to protect the occupants from the weather.

These are their stories.

:doink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This re-roof project dragged me into a siding project. I've only built coat racks and ski racks and a table, so this felt beyond me. Learning on the fly felt easier than finding someone though.

Gotta take down the railing to be able to re-roof.

But what about this weird flower box thing? It's fine, but seems like it might make roofing harder. Taking it out seems like it might make my job harder though, seeing as I'm the demo guy and de-facto project manager

Huh, is it cool to just tuck the roof in like that?

Ah, guess not!

Ok, got the demo done, looking good. Just don't look too closely

I said don't look to closely

Just slapping up a fascia board seeming less than ideal, I think we want at least a little overhang

How about some old deck boards

That looks better. Just, don't put too much weight on the edge of the roof..

Roofing crew is coming, can't dink around with it too much

Siding. We have plenty of extra from the railing, no need to leave that big seam down the middle. I don't have a table saw or chop saw, but a circular saw and oscillating tool can make miter cuts, right?

I think it looks pretty good, even before painting. Just don't look to closely

I said d

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Putty and paint make me the carpenter I ain’t.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

devmd01 posted:

Putty and paint make me the carpenter I ain’t.

Layin caulk, sprayin mud

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Epitope posted:

How about some old deck boardsI said d

I would cut back the battens half-way up, and the trim boards at the bottom, and add a pair of vertical trims that butt to the sides of the bottom trim.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

Is this the cost of replacing your end of the service line onwards? I just did the same, but at least the utility went plastic at their end ages ago so I was replacing the 30 or so feet of lead between the house and the hookup. Feels good man.

From a while back.

The $1400 is just for a whole house heavy metal filter to be installed, that includes all the parts, which I didnt think was terrible.

Sometime in the next 1-10 years according to the city, they will be digging up the street in front of me, and part of my yard and replacing the old lead pipes and their half of the service line. When they do, we will pay to have the rest of our front yard dug up and replace our half of the service line and our sewer line at the same time. I dread how much that ends up being, but the lines are over 100 years old and it'll never be cheaper with the city paying to have half of the yard dug up already.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

I would cut back the battens half-way up, and the trim boards at the bottom, and add a pair of vertical trims that butt to the sides of the bottom trim.

Not following 100% but I think you're saying cover the corner joint with an orthogonal board. In hindsight that would have greatly reduced the stressing over trying to make precise cuts. Today I want to let that bit remain "done" but we'll see how we feel tomorrow

e- found a description/diagram of what you mean
https://buildingadvisor.com/wood-siding-installation-standards/
I guess the question is does this impact long term house degradation rate. For aesthetics, the way I did it matches the opposite corner of the house. Clearly whoever built this wasn't concerned about long term viability though. Like, there wasn't even WRB under there. I added one, but only in this spot, what about the rest of the build..

Epitope fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 5, 2022

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What should I expect to pay for a new sliding screen door? It’s about 76x36. Not sure if I can find something off the shelf or not. Called one company who quoted me at $225 for a custom built steel-frame screen.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Epitope posted:

Learning on the fly felt easier than finding someone though.

Always is

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have a idea of what this might be on my basement floor? I noticed it about a week ago, seemed to come up out of nowhere. Two spots, nothing on the ceiling to suggest something dripped there (there's some electrical conduit, plumbing, and a condensate drainage line running kinda over the second one, but the first one is about a foot away with nothing overhead, and I haven't seen any other spots like this anywhere else). Looks more like something coming up from underneath (you can kinda tell there's a hole in the centre, which I don't remember being in the floor before). The first one is totally undisturbed - I poked at the second one with an object to see the consistency (it's very light crumbly). No changes, seemed to just appear one day, hasn't grown or anything.

First one (the black cable in the picture is a coax cable that isn't really connected to anything and I moved it around when taking the picture, but doesn't run over the second spot):

Second one:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Fungus or a cookie?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

It totally looked like a cookie when I first saw it. Can a fungus be really dry and crumbly? I was thinking some kind of chemical reaction byproduct rather than organic, but I'm clueless. Is there some way to test it?

E: Or should I just clean it up and dispose of it, then watch the spot for further development?

marjorie fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 5, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That looks like a grandma's old fashioned oatmeal raisin cookie.

Yes. Clean and check for future growth. Maybe put a little vinegar on the old spot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Harriet Carker posted:

What should I expect to pay for a new sliding screen door? It’s about 76x36. Not sure if I can find something off the shelf or not. Called one company who quoted me at $225 for a custom built steel-frame screen.

Seems fair, home depot has one around that size which is generic (so it might not fit exactly) at $387:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dusco-35-75-in-x-76-75-in-White-Reversible-Patio-Screen-Door-with-Handles-and-Latch-381007-035-076/305036265

It's also out of stock so having one made for 225 seems like a good deal.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Seems fair, home depot has one around that size which is generic (so it might not fit exactly) at $387:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dusco-35-75-in-x-76-75-in-White-Reversible-Patio-Screen-Door-with-Handles-and-Latch-381007-035-076/305036265

It's also out of stock so having one made for 225 seems like a good deal.

Fantastic - I was searching Home Depot and having trouble finding the right item. This clears it up!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Verman posted:

That looks like a grandma's old fashioned oatmeal raisin cookie.

Yes. Clean and check for future growth. Maybe put a little vinegar on the old spot.

Yeah, I thought it was rat vomit or something at first. Thanks for the vinegar tip!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

marjorie posted:

Yeah, I thought it was rat vomit or something at first. Thanks for the vinegar tip!

Rodents can't really vomit in any productive way like that, so if that did come out of an animal, you're looking for something at least cat sized.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

BonerGhost posted:

Rodents can't really vomit in any productive way like that, so if that did come out of an animal, you're looking for something at least cat sized.

Oh, that is really interesting, I didn't know that! My new crazy theory is that it's something to do with how the electrical conduit they ran for the AC buzzes when it's running. Like it's creating some huge electromagnetic field that's bringing up something from under the foundation. (It's probably just some weird side effect of the recent humidity I had in the basement because my AC wasn't working earlier when we got our first heat wave).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

marjorie posted:

Oh, that is really interesting, I didn't know that! My new crazy theory is that it's something to do with how the electrical conduit they ran for the AC buzzes when it's running. Like it's creating some huge electromagnetic field that's bringing up something from under the foundation. (It's probably just some weird side effect of the recent humidity I had in the basement because my AC wasn't working earlier when we got our first heat wave).

Buzzing electrical conduit is not something you should be just passively watching. That sounds like a legitimate issue.

But if by "electrical conduit" you mean the "lineset" of an AC unit and they are mini splits you may have a broken condensate line that is dripping water and junk onto your floor out of this "conduit". If so, you should absolutely be calling the installers back to fix their work.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Motronic posted:

Buzzing electrical conduit is not something you should be just passively watching. That sounds like a legitimate issue.

But if by "electrical conduit" you mean the "lineset" of an AC unit and they are mini splits you may have a broken condensate line that is dripping water and junk onto your floor out of this "conduit". If so, you should absolutely be calling the installers back to fix their work.

By electrical conduit I mean this (on the right):

The condensate line is tied up alongside the copper coolant(?) and wrapped black plumbing(?) lines.

But I just went down to check and turned on the unit so that it actually started while I was down there - the humming is actually vibrations from the outside fan unit propagating on that line - once it gets going, the frequency suggests electrical buzz, but if you're there from the start as it ramps up you can tell it's mechanical.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well water question: there’s some sludge in our toilets and sinks and we’re curious if it’s also affecting our drinking water.

As part of our inspection, we got a water test which detected no abnormalities and slightly hard water. Having been in the house a month, we’ve noticed the bottom of the toilet bowl gets some pink/brown sludge on them without frequent (daily) flushing and the bottoms of our sinks produce the same sludge.

Reading online, this seems to be analogous to iron in your water, but our test from March detected no iron.

We’re worried that the water we are drinking may contain this same algae. We have a refrigerator water dispenser and changed the filter on that, but we’re still concerned. I changed the well filter two days ago, but the sludge remains. The filter we use seems to be mainly for sediment:

Filtrete Standard Capacity Whole House String Wound Replacement Water Filter 3WH-STDSW-F02, 2 pack, for use with 3WH-STD-S01 System https://a.co/d/7kGMsyT

Not sure where to go from here: another water test? Where should we get that from?

I’m kinda thinking a new water test because I’ve read water quality can change throughout the seasons-maybe I call the well company for an annual inspection and get their take?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I don’t know the answer to your questions but before we had a water softener we had hard water and had very frequent, unclean-able mineral deposits. Only acid would remove them. Got bad enough on one toilet I had to use pool pH reducer and scotch brite to finally clean it sufficiently.

TLDR get some white vinegar for mild build up and sodium bisulfate ph reducer for the tough ones.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

marjorie posted:

By electrical conduit I mean this (on the right):

The condensate line is tied up alongside the copper coolant(?) and wrapped black plumbing(?) lines.

But I just went down to check and turned on the unit so that it actually started while I was down there - the humming is actually vibrations from the outside fan unit propagating on that line - once it gets going, the frequency suggests electrical buzz, but if you're there from the start as it ramps up you can tell it's mechanical.

obviously do not touch EMT that you suspect may be live without turning off the breaker, but it's always worth making sure strapped-on bits are not just vibrating

experience: spent the last 2 weeks chasing down issues with my microwave to discover the sound coming from it was the slightly loose cabinet door above it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My cousin manages private wells for a living. You should get a different well guy to service your system he should be able to advise you on this, and sample from the correct location if you're concerned and get it tested for the two types of bacteria they normally test for. Sounds like your current guy isn't super amazing. Worth looking into if you're concerned about the welfare of your family

That said, pink goop in your toilet bowl is not uncommon even on city water, especially in the summer. Chlorine evaporates completely within 24 hours, loses effectiveness after about 4-9 hours especially in warm water in the summer. Your bowl is not a 1:1 representation of what's coming out of the kitchen tap

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

My cousin manages private wells for a living. You should get a different well guy to service your system he should be able to advise you on this, and sample from the correct location if you're concerned and get it tested for the two types of bacteria they normally test for. Sounds like your current guy isn't super amazing. Worth looking into if you're concerned about the welfare of your family

That said, pink goop in your toilet bowl is not uncommon even on city water, especially in the summer. Chlorine evaporates completely within 24 hours, loses effectiveness after about 4-9 hours especially in warm water in the summer. Your bowl is not a 1:1 representation of what's coming out of the kitchen tap

Haven't most water authorities switched to chloramine that doesn't evaporate, or is that still pretty hit or miss?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Seems our water has 12 grains of hardness "at the source." According to our annual notice they just mailed me. I assume I should be throwing an easy 10 G's at the next door to door scam artist who comes my way right? :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EPA says north of 20% of cities use chloramine according to their website but that seems below 50% I haven't checked into it beyond that

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

nwin posted:

Well water question: there’s some sludge in our toilets and sinks and we’re curious if it’s also affecting our drinking water.

As part of our inspection, we got a water test which detected no abnormalities and slightly hard water. Having been in the house a month, we’ve noticed the bottom of the toilet bowl gets some pink/brown sludge on them without frequent (daily) flushing and the bottoms of our sinks produce the same sludge.

Reading online, this seems to be analogous to iron in your water, but our test from March detected no iron.

We’re worried that the water we are drinking may contain this same algae. We have a refrigerator water dispenser and changed the filter on that, but we’re still concerned. I changed the well filter two days ago, but the sludge remains. The filter we use seems to be mainly for sediment:

Filtrete Standard Capacity Whole House String Wound Replacement Water Filter 3WH-STDSW-F02, 2 pack, for use with 3WH-STD-S01 System https://a.co/d/7kGMsyT

Not sure where to go from here: another water test? Where should we get that from?

I’m kinda thinking a new water test because I’ve read water quality can change throughout the seasons-maybe I call the well company for an annual inspection and get their take?

Are you sure it isn't pink mold (actually a bacteria)?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So what’s the trick to cleaning gutters that are high up? Even with my extension ladder, 2 of the gutters are about 6-7’ out of reach (one might be closer to 10’). Unfortunately one of them is the one the ac condensate line drips into and it’s completely clogged with leaves, so I definitely need to get it cleaned up. I tried getting on the roof, but there was no safe way for me to reach down to the gutter and clean it once I was up there.

I saw some hose extension things but with how much gunk and leaves were stuck in the lower gutters-I dunno if it would do the job or not. Plus hauling that and the hose up that high (17-20’+) makes me think it would be heavy and unwieldy.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 6, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My trick is to call someone because I'm not purchasing, storing, and climbing a 28' extension ladder.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You can get an extension for a leaf blower that has a 180 degree bend at the end too hook it over the gutter and blow the leaves and water out. Works ok but is very messy. Also works for getting leaves off flat roofs and moss growing in the shade of the chimney.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Can you climb on the roof and scoop out the gunk from above? Thats what I've done in the past.

They also have these foam insert things that work OK on keeping the gutters clean/easier to clean, but in a huge downpour might limit how much runoff the gutters can handle.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Can you climb on the roof and scoop out the gunk from above? Thats what I've done in the past.

They also have these foam insert things that work OK on keeping the gutters clean/easier to clean, but in a huge downpour might limit how much runoff the gutters can handle.

I got up on the roof but didn’t feel at all safe getting down low enough to scoop the stuff out. If I had a solid foundation about 6’ high I could put the ladder on top of that, but that screams “OSHA” thread to me and it’s definitely not a great idea.

I was thinking of getting gutter guards so this might be the impetus to do it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Gutter guards seem cool, but mine are a pain in the rear end because moss grows inside the gutter anyway. Now I have to get up on the ladder, unscrew the guards one by one, scoop out all the moss, and then screw them back on. I hope they are just full because the PO didn't maintain them for years and years and this won't be something I have to do all the time.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

I got up on the roof but didn’t feel at all safe getting down low enough to scoop the stuff out. If I had a solid foundation about 6’ high I could put the ladder on top of that, but that screams “OSHA” thread to me and it’s definitely not a great idea.

You could throw a rope over the house and put on rock climbing gear. We do that when we go up there and it's super helpful. We're pretty good climbers though so we're familiar with the equipment.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Scissor lift
Bucket lift
Hire someone.

That's a killing height.

Gutter guards only slow the problem down, and are an stone bitch to clean out when they do, inevitably, fill up.

I have the foam blocks mentioned previously. I get up on a ladder (1-story, 12') and hit 'em with a power washer.

And yes, during really heavy & long downpours, the water just runs over them, but that is a seldom occurrence so not an issue for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nwin posted:

I have this in my well water. It's called iron bacteria. It is doubly bad because the biofilm it produces is a happy place to live for other bacteria, including those toxic to humans. It will not be detected by a standard water test.

The solution is to hire a professional in water treatment, who will "shock" the well with chlorine to kill the existing population. The bacteria may or may not return; if they do, you put in a special treatment system for iron bacteria. (My current house has a UV system to kill anything that might be in the water. It doesn't touch the iron bacteria.)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

nwin posted:

I remember my dad painting a barn as a kid by raising up the tractor bucket and then putting the tall ladder in that. Not a recommendation obviously!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nwin posted:

Harriet Carker posted:

Gutter guards seem cool, but mine are a pain in the rear end because moss grows inside the gutter anyway. Now I have to get up on the ladder, unscrew the guards one by one, scoop out all the moss, and then screw them back on. I hope they are just full because the PO didn't maintain them for years and years and this won't be something I have to do all the time.

I had them on my previous house that was surrounded by 6+ 60 foot oak trees and they were a god send. Once a year I'd use a high pressure hook shaped hose extension to spray them out but they were otherwise maintenance free. Highly recommended if you're surrounded by trees that arent pine trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have this in my well water. It's called iron bacteria. It is doubly bad because the biofilm it produces is a happy place to live for other bacteria, including those toxic to humans. It will not be detected by a standard water test.

The solution is to hire a professional in water treatment, who will "shock" the well with chlorine to kill the existing population. The bacteria may or may not return; if they do, you put in a special treatment system for iron bacteria. (My current house has a UV system to kill anything that might be in the water. It doesn't touch the iron bacteria.)

You can get specific tests for iron and sulfur reducing bacteria

https://www.uswatersystems.com/bart-iron-and-sulfur-reducing-bacteria-tests.html

Shocking our well helped, but the IRB came back after a few months. For us, an iron filter (we have a small amount of iron) with ozone injection has solved the problem for a little over a year now.

https://www.hellenbrand.com/product/residential/iron-water-filtration/promate-6-storm

You could go overboard with a home chlorinator system, mixing tank, and carbon filter but that starts getting expensive (our quotes for an installed system were $4k iirc) and has lots of regular maintenance.