Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'll do some OP updating Soon™️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'll do some OP updating Soon™️

It seems to me that the only thing that really needs updating is the bit about Second Editions. People may be wise to wait on second editions of older expansions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yet more new cards are coming. DXV is confirming on reddit that Hinterlands is getting a second edition. The new Seaside rulebook has some suggested kingdoms with unfamiliar cards, so we can have fun speculating what a Wainwright will do.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 4, 2022

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

All of these 2nd edition revisions have cemented my opinion that I have bought my last physical expansion for Dominion. Digital only from here on out

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
They sell update packs if you already own the physical 1E cards and just want the new 2E cards, in case you were worried that you need to rebuy the entire set.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I so hope there'll be a Dark Ages 2nd edition. It's probably overall my favourite expansion, but there's a lot of cards in it that could be reasonably replaced with more interesting ones (especially with more Looter cards that actually do things with Ruins other than handing them out, so that Ruins don't feel quite so much like a somewhat pointless Curse variant).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Explaining the pun with Way of the Seal will take slightly longer.

The loss of this pun is the biggest tragedy of the revisions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

I so hope there'll be a Dark Ages 2nd edition. It's probably overall my favourite expansion, but there's a lot of cards in it that could be reasonably replaced with more interesting ones (especially with more Looter cards that actually do things with Ruins other than handing them out, so that Ruins don't feel quite so much like a somewhat pointless Curse variant).

I guess Ruins might be the kind of thing that DXV was talking about with "cards that are useful in edge cases," but man I do love it when Ruins suddenly become interesting, since they work off of effects that want "Action cards," "differently named cards," and "card types." And of course it's a pile you can drain quickly to hasten the end of the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hinterlands 2E preview #1.

The set is getting a Reaction subtheme. Also Embassy is going.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 27, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Another thing is that a bunch of cards are being revised to get rid of "while in play" and "on buy" - some being reworded to no gameplay effect, but some small changes are inevitable.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Here's all the other errata for other sets: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=5616.0

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I shan't terribly miss any of the removed cards - DXV is right, Mandarin is very bad. Weak action paired with absolutely flipping awful on-buy effect. I'm happy to see Spy's descendants rooted out of the game - get rid of Scrying Pool next! Embassy - well, it was fine. Not great, but OK.
Weaver seems good! Just a workshop with a cool (and probably workable) way to play it. And I guess 2 Silvers... might be useful in the early game?
Wheelwright is probably going to be useful in many mid to late games, when your deck is thin enough that you're likely to see both the Wheelie and an expensive card you don't mind discarding - like a Weaver. Or maybe a Province.
Witch's Hut is a weird one to get the Cursing going. Do you end up buying cheap sacrificial actions just to start attacking the other players?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mandarin is probably the most obvious replacable card since the effect is pretty weak, although I hope the developers on gain is reproduced in some fashion. It seems we lost 2 on gain effects with no replacement today, although I am sure that will change over the next two.

Embassy and Oracle I’ll genuinely miss, although I do like Witch’s Hut as a replacement for those.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My desire to have the full boxes of all the new 2es is starting to be financially annoying

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

...although I hope the developers on gain is reproduced in some fashion.

What does this mean - i would guess "developers" is a typo, but I can't guess for what.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

What does this mean - i would guess "developers" is a typo, but I can't guess for what.

*squinting* to be honest even I can't remember what it was, this is what I get for posting on my phone right when I wake up. I'm guessing I really mangled "topdecking" so my phone took a heroic stab at making it an actual word lol

I understand the current incarnation is weak and too big a punishment to getting multiple Mandarins, but even "when you gain this, topdeck a treasure you have in play" would be a cool effect to retain for interesting combos

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Witch's Hut is a weird one to get the Cursing going. Do you end up buying cheap sacrificial actions just to start attacking the other players?

Ruins, Rats, Magpies, and Horses would get it going without much effort, and I guess edge cases like an early Inheritance.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 2 of Hinterlands 2E previews: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21318.0

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Souk looks like it will only work well in very specific setups, but in those setups it'll probably make Treasures obsolete.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It'll take some plays for me to be convinced that Nomad's effect is cool. Maybe it can be cool.
My initial take on Guard Dog is that it seems overpriced at $3 - maybe I'm underestimating how much discarding you're going to be doing, but having played around with Diplo, I know how hard it is to get down to 4 cards in hands. There's of course the prospect of playing a whole pack of dogs, like the black cat attack, but other than that... seems weak!
Souk makes Capitalism a must-buy. Seems like a non-starter in a lot of engine decks where you're drawing big hands, but would work well with Draw-to cards like Library.
I will not shed a tear for any of the removed cards. Occasionally I buy Nomad Camps for the effect, because I've managed to track my deck.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Nomad camp can do some pretty nutty things in a 4->3 opener letting you turn it into a 4->5 sometimes. I don't know if that was considered a benefit, but I'm already in the vast minority of thinking that randomized openers in ranked play are real dumb.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

My initial take on Guard Dog is that it seems overpriced at $3 - maybe I'm underestimating how much discarding you're going to be doing, but having played around with Diplo, I know how hard it is to get down to 4 cards in hands. There's of course the prospect of playing a whole pack of dogs, like the black cat attack, but other than that... seems weak!

It feels like it would work best with Church, Temple, Cellar, or Torturer in the kingdom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love nonstandard openings but we have plenty of cards that can do that now, so Nomad Camp ends up being kind of redundant on that front. That being said, we've still gotten a net loss of both on-gain and non-loss interaction with these updates so far which is a tad disappointing.

Hinterlands in general marked kind of a turning point where these aren't necessarily duds like Adventurer or Saboteur but just undertuned cards. Today's lot I will miss less than Embassy or Oracle I'll definitely say

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oracle/Duchess are absolutely miserable when playing online and people have multiple copies to play in a turn. Yeet them into the void.

Embassy, though, I will miss.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

My initial take on Guard Dog is that it seems overpriced at $3 - maybe I'm underestimating how much discarding you're going to be doing, but having played around with Diplo, I know how hard it is to get down to 4 cards in hands. There's of course the prospect of playing a whole pack of dogs, like the black cat attack, but other than that... seems weak!\

DXV has basically said in previous articles that the difference between $2 and $3 is pretty negligible. You get the rare case like chapel where you want everyone to get it on their first turn no matter what the split, otherwise it seems to be priced as more of a comparison thing than anything. For the most part you're neither missing out if a given card is a $3 and rarely feel bad overpaying buy a dollar or two if you want that $2.

I think the main thing here is when compared to other $2 +2 card reactions like Moat, Black and Cat and Loyal Hound its secondary effect is a bit better than any of those. It's as good as a Moat against your standard 2 card discard attack since you end up with 6 cards after the draw, and it's better against single card discarders like Urchin, Soldier or Archer. Against any other attack you can obviously explode with draws and start with more cards in hand without playing an action. It compares favorably with Sheep Dog which is another +2 card reaction for $3 (in fact in the case of junkers played on another player's turn works exactly like Sheep Dog).

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
And the final Hinterlands previews: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21321.0

Certainly a reduction in on-gain effects overalĺ. Trail looks like it's going to be a very interesting one, though.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Is Trail the most cool card to be made since Rats?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Berserker feels like [that +money cantrip that discards when you gain another attack] - but different! Expensive workshop with a famously rude attack, that's going to be pretty easy to get in play.
Cauldron... Seem's really hard to get the curses going. Sometimes you want a +Buy I guess.
Trail - yeah, seems neat. "Make a cantrip interesting" challenge accepted, I guess.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One game in w/ Cauldron and I've already found myself buying Ruins to trigger the Curse effect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I get why they replaced Silk Road, it basically just wants you to do the stuff you're already doing, like a less interesting Gardens. Noble Brigand is probably the best replacement of this set so far, that's a card I routinely forget even exists and I won't miss at all.

I get why they replaced IGG but I did feel it did some of its own interesting things and I am sad to have them entirely replaced by a treasure curser that seems way less interesting on first glance. Idol is already a better treasurer curser so this seems pretty redundant overall.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cauldron looks fun with stuff that gives you duplicate things you like (Port, Experiment, Horse-givers) or Ruins. Should work with gain-from-trash cards too, like Graverobber or Lurker.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

homullus posted:

Cauldron looks fun with stuff that gives you duplicate things you like (Port, Experiment, Horse-givers) or Ruins. Should work with gain-from-trash cards too, like Graverobber or Lurker.

This actually didn't occur to me: the way the card is phrased you just need to have played your Cauldrons before the third overall action gained. I had assumed that you would need to gain three actions after playing the card, but obviously that's not the case. That makes this card a lot more interesting and easier to use overall. Also after reading Donald's secret history I like that the card does more with "on gain" -- even though the Cauldron itself doesn't have an on gain it effectively grants the third action you buy the on gain of cursing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I had that exact same misreading of Cauldron. I assumed that every third Action you bought post-Cauldron would curse, which seemed super hard. But no, it does what it actually says on the card. With so many workshops floating around, it's easy to go into your Buy phase with 1 gained already, and with your Silver+Buy, it's easy to buy 1 good thing, and 1 kinda junky cheap card to make up the numbers. Having played a bit with it, it seems fairly effective cursing in most cases.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Two DXV posts:

Secret History of Hinterlands 2E.
The Why of Errata.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

How are you all handling the errata for live games? I'm leaning towards trying general guidelines like "don't trash durations" but letting on-buy and while-in-play exist as written on the cards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is exactly why I've been buying whole sets instead of just upgrade packs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is there a clear list by card (or by expansion) of what Errata changes there are? I've seen the forum posts and some of the stuff on the wiki but not a consolidated list.

rchandra posted:

How are you all handling the errata for live games? I'm leaning towards trying general guidelines like "don't trash durations" but letting on-buy and while-in-play exist as written on the cards.

I'm basically going to change general rules and play whatever the card text says.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rchandra posted:

I am only half joking, but I handle it in live games by having everyone play online at the table.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Will there be a Dominion 3rd edition with all these changes? Was thinking of buying it but maybe I'll wait if a bunch of errata is being released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Apocron posted:

Will there be a Dominion 3rd edition with all these changes? Was thinking of buying it but maybe I'll wait if a bunch of errata is being released.

If there is, it won't be for at least 5 years.