Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wazzerphuk posted:

The most working brain
brain damage from having a season ticket next to the oval office with the bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

U20 game between CR and US ended with a brawl

https://twitter.com/tdmas_cr/status/1542141968050003972?s=21&t=vFeS8Gx--4fVPijJpzLigg

Flying kick guy plays for my local team lol

https://twitter.com/leosandi_cr/status/1542175810337005573?s=21&t=vFeS8Gx--4fVPijJpzLigg

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
La pura vida indeed

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1543988361957867522

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Twitter thinks it's Partey.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

He was at training today according to the arsenal twitter autists

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Twitter wouldn't accuse a random black person!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I thought Partey was in Ghana or something last month anyway

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I reckon Ben Davies, a lot of Welsh are terrible perverts.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
If it's Ben Davies they'll never give him bail. Too likely he'll end up on the lamb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ben Davies is in Italy.

If he's on the run he's doing alright.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Maybe Gabriel Jesus tried to celebrate his transfer to Arsenal early?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sticksy posted:

Maybe Gabriel Jesus tried to celebrate his transfer to Arsenal early?

A month ago and has already moved to Barnet?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Masonity posted:

If it's Ben Davies they'll never give him bail. Too likely he'll end up on the lamb.

:golfclap:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’d like if they just skip to the point where they can’t say the player’s name but it’s all so blown that they’re releasing info that can only point to one person like “a 26 year old arsenal center back whose name rhymes with Cobb Folding”

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

I’d like if they just skip to the point where they can’t say the player’s name but it’s all so blown that they’re releasing info that can only point to one person like “a 26 year old arsenal center back whose name rhymes with Cobb Folding”

Alternatively, no, because even footballers are entitled to their rights.

What is it with goons being all about solidarity with people until they have some money in their pockets. Footballers are working class stop being pricks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's James Ward-Prowse, for sure

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

What is it with goons being all about solidarity with people until they have some money in their pockets. Footballers are working class stop being pricks.

When I think working class I definitely think a Bentley and electric gates

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

We sure it's not just Mendy yet again?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Maybe because it's because I'm American and we will print anybody's name

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 5, 2022

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Maybe because it's I'm American and we will print anybody's name

a little shocked that there isn't some kind of TMZ-esque outlet with sources in the UK that doesn't give a gently caress and would print the name

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I don't know anything about British media law and twistos stopped posting so he can't provide 7000 words on its exact working but I think it's basically as above, you can reveal every identifying characteristic apart from the name and not get sued

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

They also love using euphemisms to get around libel. "Tired and emotional" being the obvious classic.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

He has been back in Barnet all of a sudden...

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Footballers are working class

Lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Footballers are working class

lol not unless you're counting the working class as 'anyone who has a boss'

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
footballers are independant contractors like artists who have their bodies exploited for profit by the clubs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Footballers are working class stop being pricks.

Lol, what?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Footballers are privileged in that their labour is valued appropriately to the revenue they generate for their employers and company shareholders, but they're still working people. A few big paycheques and flash car doesn't suddenly give them generational wealth and a peerage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Shrapnig posted:

Lol, what?

red text on point here lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm sorry that I don't see someone who makes millions spending 15 hours a week kicking a ball and stretching "working class"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

cagliostr0 posted:

When I think working class I definitely think a Bentley and electric gates

So what, solidarity goes out the window for any worker that actually gets a fair wage?

Footballers have employers that are far richer than they are the only difference between footballers and "normal" jobs is it's a lot harder to separate the means of production from the worker in football. This is a good thing and not something people should resent them for. Footballers are working class.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

A few big paycheques and flash car doesn't suddenly give them generational wealth and a peerage.

Plenty of footballers at this level are dealing with “generational wealth” amounts of money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

So what, solidarity goes out the window for any worker that actually gets a fair wage?

Footballers have employers that are far richer than they are the only difference between footballers and "normal" jobs is it's a lot harder to separate the means of production from the worker in football. This is a good thing and not something people should resent them for. Footballers are working class.

Many players are not not and the whole comment was weird and out of left field in the first place. Whether or not footballers are working class doesn’t have anything to do with my observation about the media getting increasingly specific with clues for players’ identities in these situations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

I'm sorry that I don't see someone who makes millions spending 15 hours a week kicking a ball and stretching "working class"

This is some weird reverse crab bucket poo poo

Plenty of footballers at this level are dealing with “generational wealth” amounts of money.

No they're not. They could be with the right advice, management and financial savvy but generational wealth has to, you know, cross generations and there's far less evidence of that with footballers than you'd think.

Many players are not not and the whole comment was weird and out of left field in the first place. Whether or not footballers are working class doesn’t have anything to do with my observation about the media getting increasingly specific with clues for players’ identities in these situations.

It had everything to do with you saying you'd "like it".

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I think you could make the argument that broadly speaking you would call footballers and other professional athletes 'working class' given the multi millionaires represent .1% of the profession in general. Just in this country once you get past the championship you're in the realm of players earning a median monthly wage and below with no benefits who are effectively retired 30+ years earlier than your average worker

It's a discussion better suited to not the 'naughty footballers' thread though. Someone make a thread and we'll have a frank and good natured exchange of views. Need to do something with no world cup to distract us

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This is some weird reverse crab bucket poo poo

No they're not. They could be with the right advice, management and financial savvy but generational wealth has to, you know, cross generations and there's far less evidence of that with footballers than you'd think.

It had everything to do with you saying you'd "like it".

Ninpo I know you have trouble dealing with social cues but that statement wasn’t exactly being said with conviction.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ok, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

I think you could make the argument that broadly speaking you would call footballers and other professional athletes 'working class' given the multi millionaires represent .1% of the profession in general. Just in this country once you get past the championship you're in the realm of players earning a median monthly wage and below with no benefits who are effectively retired 30+ years earlier than your average worker

It's a discussion better suited to not the 'naughty footballers' thread though. Someone make a thread and we'll have a frank and good natured exchange of views. Need to do something with no world cup to distract us

It's sort of relevant as a big indicator of where footballers fall in the class structure is highlighted by how they're held to account for crimes committed. Ronaldo would be an interesting discussion on that given his astronomical fame and wealth allegedly separates him from such to the point you could debate he is no longer working class. As sassassin points out though, a very healthy current account doesn't elevate you out of the working class, generational wealth does, which applies to a vanishingly small number of footballers even at the top level.

Ninpo I know you have trouble dealing with social cues but that statement wasn’t exactly being said with conviction.

The "social cue" of toneless text from someone that routinely in the past has terrible takes on this subject?

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 5, 2022