Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Footballers exit the working class when they become landlords, which is very feral indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

So what, solidarity goes out the window for any worker that actually gets a fair wage?

Footballers have employers that are far richer than they are the only difference between footballers and "normal" jobs is it's a lot harder to separate the means of production from the worker in football. This is a good thing and not something people should resent them for. Footballers are working class.

this is the dumbest post i have ever seen in this forum lol

edit: and i've read my own posts

nawilo_420 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 5, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drat didn’t know it was possible to have yourself on ignore

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Hakim Ziyech is Chelsea's only 29 year old 1st team player.

Just in case that becomes useful information to anyone at any point.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The term "working class" is essentially meaningless at this point, for exactly this reason. It's either used by high-earning people who are nominally blue collar as a way to say that they deserve tax breaks on their company van (which is actually a Ford Ranger that carries a toolbox once a month) while binmen and people who work in shops are human detritus, or it's used as a dogwhistle for "pig ignorant and proud of the fact" in order to push right-wing agendas.

But Ninpo's point is valid - footballers generally come from poor backgrounds and so the narrative in the media, 100%, is that they don't deserve their wages and that they should give them up to pay for nurses. Of course, you could just tax the people who own these media outlets, who earn hundreds of times what even Martin Braithwaite does, but you see they deserve that money more than nurses do. It's really obvious once you start to look for it.

this has been your neville southall song of the week

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

the real question is whether patrick bamford or yoan gouffran are really working class

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Posh footballers xi featuring Bamford, vialli, lampard and mido

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I'm not British so could be way off here, but I always got the impression that there's a difference between class and wealth, no?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Posh footballers xi featuring Bamford, vialli, lampard and mido

Kaka, Pirlo, Pique, Van Persie

Managed by Bielsa.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I hope the next lottery ticket will propel me into the upper class.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mickolution posted:

I'm not British so could be way off here, but I always got the impression that there's a difference between class and wealth, no?

Yeah and especially so in the UK, our language is littered with sneering epithets aimed against people who aren't seen as deserving of their money due to their class background

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Not really, what tends to happen is a gross misunderstanding of "wealth". A better idea of it is who is doing the exploiting/being exploited when it comes to generation of capital, financial vulnerability (how many billionaires do you hear of going bankrupt vs, say, footballers), success or perceived success via nepotism/cronyism, income to labour ratio etc. The income to labour ratio is a key one, as people often like to trot out that footballers just kick a bag of air about for a couple of hours a week, conveniently ignoring all the training/discipline that goes into being able to do that as well as what happens to their incomes if they stop doing that. The working class work for their money, upper classes work much less/not at all and are parasites on the working class.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah and if footballers were paid less all that happens to that money is it goes into the pockets of eg, the Glazers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's wild how effectively the capital class has been able to condition people to resent athletes for their wages actually being in line with how much revenue their labor generates. Ninpo is right and I'm sorry if me being the one to say that fundamentally undermines his point.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just to add before the point is brought up to make me look stupid, footballers that go into landlordism are class traitors and can get hosed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just don't know why Ninpo has turned another footballer doing some rapin' into class warfare.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Not really, what tends to happen is a gross misunderstanding of "wealth".

Concepts of class/wealth in many other countries much less hosed in the head than ours seem to track together on a roughly linear scale, in my experience. The UK is uniquely weird about our relationship with class because we still have an entrenched nobility and our society is thoroughly pervaded by deference to those perceived to be 'higher class', allowing someone like Boris Johnson to fall upwards into being PM just by virtue of his provenance. When people talk about class in the UK, they're talking about appearance, accent, demeanour, behaviour, fashion etc, and there's myriad examples of upper class or 'posh' people that are skint and people considered working class or 'common' even though they're minted.

I get that you're coming at this from a different angle and you're right, but as most people on the street talk about or understand class I think it's divorced from wealth more in the UK than in pretty much every other nationality I've spoken about this with.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So when they become landlords does that mean they should have all of their rapes publicized? This is all so batshit insane.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Concepts of class/wealth in many other countries much less hosed in the head than ours seem to track together on a roughly linear scale, in my experience. The UK is uniquely weird about our relationship with class because we still have an entrenched nobility and our society is thoroughly pervaded by deference to those perceived to be 'higher class', allowing someone like Boris Johnson to fall upwards into being PM just by virtue of his provenance. When people talk about class in the UK, they're talking about appearance, accent, demeanour, behaviour, fashion etc, and there's myriad examples of upper class or 'posh' people that are skint and people considered working class or 'common' even though they're minted.

I get that you're coming at this from a different angle and you're right, but as most people on the street talk about or understand class I think it's divorced from wealth more in the UK than in pretty much every other nationality I've spoken about this with.

What? Boris Johnson was born into wealth, wtf?

Class status is only derived from someone's accent or clothes by morons.

blue footed boobie posted:

So when they become landlords does that mean they should have all of their rapes publicized? This is all so batshit insane.

Yeah that's precisely what I said you fuckin idiot. The gleeful whodunnit investigation and eagerness to get to the end of the Guess Who game was what I took issue with and you know it. Largely because I explained it to you already.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 5, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah, that's exactly what he said.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sadio Mane basically owns a village now but he's not sitting on a throne demanding the serfs bequeath him a percentage of their income. Yet.

Footballers pay way more in taxes than companies and directors, they are working class heroes and agents are allies (RIP Mino).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Class status is only derived from someone's accent or clothes by morons.

Did I say he wasn't? However if he had a strong Sheffield accent and didn't quote Tennyson or have the general vibe of upper class eccentricity that has been lauded for generations then there's no chance he'd be near the Premiership, given the same blunders and incompetence he's displayed the entirety of his life.

I think you're overestimating how many people have a deep understanding of class warfare tbh. For most, it is about the superficial aspects.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Mickolution posted:

There's at least 3 different understandings of what class means in the UK.

The one most people understand is just tied to wealth, but there's also the one where anyone who sells their labour is working class.

There's also a sort of caste system of class where a builder born into poverty (or a footballer, perhaps) could gain wealth and transition into having a successful business or a property portfolio and become a wealthy landlord, which would take them out of the 'working class' by the first two definitions, but would never make them good enough to be considered an equal by much of the professional middle class, let alone the upper class.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
If he wears the armband, is he in management? These are the tough questions of our time.

Just to add before the point is brought up to make me look stupid, footballers that go into landlordism are class traitors and can get hosed.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 5, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Hundred millionaires are working class heroes who may rape privately. Once you lease a property you must rape in public. -Ninpo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Did I say he wasn't? However if he had a strong Sheffield accent and didn't quote Tennyson or have the general vibe of upper class eccentricity that has been lauded for generations then there's no chance he'd be near the Premiership, given the same blunders and incompetence he's displayed the entirety of his life.

I think you're overestimating how many people have a deep understanding of class warfare tbh. For most, it is about the superficial aspects.

I think it's very inspirational of you lot to elect a fresh-faced first generation immigrant of little English heritage to the lofty title of Prime Minister. It's a story to tell your children, that yes, even they can become Prime Minister.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

I just don't know why Ninpo has turned another footballer doing some rapin' into class warfare.

Everything is class warfare, op

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tsaedje posted:

There's at least 3 different understandings of what class means in the UK.

The one most people understand is just tied to wealth, but there's also the one where anyone who sells their labour is working class.

There's also a sort of caste system of class where a builder born into poverty (or a footballer, perhaps) could gain wealth and transition into having a successful business or a property portfolio and become a wealthy landlord, which would take them out of the 'working class' by the first two definitions, but would never make them good enough to be considered an equal by much of the professional middle class, let alone the upper class.

The idea of a "middle class" was invented to divide the working class. A successful and comfortable working class person is still working class. Their income is still dependent on how their labour is valued, and subject to exploitation by the capital class.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lots of interesting discussions going on here but just so nobody gets confused I would again strongly recommend moving 'the ragged trousered trequartistas' into its own thread so this can be the one where brap3 can come back and post his detailed string maps of London footballers whereabouts in the borough of Barnet. Thanks everyone

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
OP, does this also include discussion on the landlording dogs of certain illiterate football professionals?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
40 v boring posts about class warfare and no mentioning of an internationally renowned partey in someone's pants. Shameful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ephex posted:

40 v boring posts about class warfare and no mentioning of an internationally renowned partey in someone's pants. Shameful.

Partey's in Germany right now so it wasn't him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

drat, so is ephex, makes you think.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Xhaka's dad says he on holiday too. These libel laws are so dumb.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Waiting for a Fabrizio HERE WE GOOOO (to jail) tweet

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

sassassin posted:

The idea of a "middle class" was invented to divide the working class. A successful and comfortable working class person is still working class. Their income is still dependent on how their labour is valued, and subject to exploitation by the capital class.

I agree, but the reality is the UK has been indoctrinated differently.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah, that's exactly how I understand it and Footballers are a prime example of this.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

the sex ghost posted:

the ragged trousered trequartistas

What does that even mean??

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbf if I won the Euromillions tomorrow I'd 100% buy a property portfolio and live off the earnings, because I've no great desire to be poor as a form of dirty protest

as with climate change, it's more an issue of institutional reforms than it is about letting down the tyres on your stepdad kevin's M5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

ilmucche posted:

What does that even mean??

nobody knows, it's something to do with totti and playing in the hole and mick mccarthy making a face