Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The part of Australia that constantly floods is flooding again:

https://twitter.com/AndreaLNicolas/status/1543728071425269760

https://twitter.com/stukhan/status/1543717704993210368

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/1543747581561704450

https://twitter.com/slsnsw/status/1543773397544366080

https://twitter.com/RoryRonaldo/status/1543742024544792577

https://twitter.com/pflodin/status/1543782588619554816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The suspense!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

they should try to hold it back from the shore with a big tarp

big tarp over Sydney too

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Shifty Nipples posted:

they should try to hold it back from the shore with a big tarp

big tarp over Sydney too

we're gonna need a bigger tarp

https://twitter.com/Ben_Domensino/status/1543814381938454528

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The part of Australia that constantly floods is flooding again:

https://twitter.com/AndreaLNicolas/status/1543728071425269760

In the northwest town of Wind-sor
The drowning boys and soggy girls

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
a major flooderidoo

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

build a pipeline to phoenix

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Koirhor posted:

build a pipeline to phoenix
Saw a letter to the editor recently where some mouthbreather advocated for an aqueduct between the Mississippi and lake mead.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

could we sink a bunch of aircraft carriers into lake mead to raise its level

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mr. Musk, my people yearn for water.

Please bore a tunnel from Arizona to Lake Vostok.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Who could have predicted this?

If it weren't for the goofy traffic markings on the wrong side of the road these could be pictures from B.C.'s Lower Mainland last fall.

I can translate IRBS ( I think) but jetski must mean something different in Oz than in Canuckistan, a large hydrofoil maybe? Here jetski = personal water craft which would be only slightly more useful for an offshore rescue than a canoe. Or maybe the Coasties like to kick back and have some fun in big waves every once in a while?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
California has been pumping water over mountains for decades and decades.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: LOW ENERGY solutions

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Sounds like an early proto-Musk. Was this "construction engineer" involved in the first developments in Silicon Valley?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

get these low energy pipes the gently caress outta here

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

California has been pumping water over mountains for decades and decades.

those are hills
:goonsay:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shifty Nipples posted:

those are hills

oh god dont start this

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Hexigrammus posted:

Here jetski = personal water craft which would be only slightly more useful for an offshore rescue than a canoe. Or maybe the Coasties like to kick back and have some fun in big waves every once in a while?

Yep, that's a jetski. Might be next to useless for rescues, but looks real good when you're cruising the beach all summer trying to pick up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

those are hills

That is Wheeler Ridge.

The Edmunston Pumping Station ten miles east southeast pumps the aqueduct over legit mountains.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Jul 4, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Huh? You throw a line out with a flotation device for a jetski rescue. Not useless. Best used in big break surfing to tow out and rescue surfers in a way it would be actually impossible for a boat to do.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://twitter.com/slsnsw/status/1543832973564411905

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f083a85d4fb3505

quote:

Efforts to tow the stricken cargo ship MV Portland Bay to deeper waters were suspended overnight after tow lines broke in extreme weather conditions.

As wild winds and torrential rains continue to lash Sydney’s coast, it could be Wednesday before it is safe to tow the 170m ship into port.

The Portland Bay, carrying nearly 1,000 tonnes of fuel oil, is currently at anchor about 1.2 nautical miles off Cronulla, attended by the tugboat, the SL Martinique. The Port Authority of NSW says the ship is in a sheltered, safe position, both anchors are deployed and secured.

The 21 crew on board are safe.

In a statement, the Port Authority said:

[W]ith 11 metre swells experienced last night, an operational decision was made to suspend further attempts to tow the ship out to sea.
The crew of the MV Portland Bay has been unable to make the repairs required on board and the incident team’s preference at this time is to bring the ship into Port Botany when the weather abates so repairs can be undertaken in the safety of a berth and port environment.
Based on current weather forecasts, it is expected that the ship will remain offshore until at least Wednesday.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Platystemon posted:

well it's good enough for disney world

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

Saw a letter to the editor recently where some mouthbreather advocated for an aqueduct between the Mississippi and lake mead.

you know if we're gonna implode anyway we could at least have the impressive ruins of failed and halfwitted megaprojects dotting the land

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

extremely hot from the standpoint of heat

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
and we all thought the first big wet bulb die off was going to happen in bangladesh prepare to become a cautionary tale mississippi river communities

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Minera posted:

Hey I think the wet bulb map is a very glass half empty way of mapping it. If you'll just have a look at my "risk of hypothermia" forecasting you'll see it's predicting just about 0% across the board!!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

broke: hypothermia
woke: hyperthermia
bespoke: hyped for thermia :cool:

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
XXXTREME HEAT

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can't everyone just stay inside?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gripweed posted:

But that's the same thing as a lockdown. What do you have against freedom?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Gripweed posted:

Not everyone has a working air conditioner, power can and does go out or gets cut off. Many people are not in control of their thermostat and no the landlord doesn't care. And then there's the prisons where lmao if you think they're gonna cool them, some prison cells will be 120F roasting people alive which happens everywhere. Just... yeah, no, deadly heat is deadly heat is deadly heat.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Minera posted:

Oh no, this is going to kill a lot of people. :smith:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

But that's the same thing as a lockdown. What do you have against freedom?

Gotta live my life!!!

*car overheats on the way to Applebee's*

*dies*

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Minera posted:

Memphis better call Sears tomorrow

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Minera posted:

developing a new heat map with colors only a mantis shrimp can see

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
it's okay it's only staying that hot literally the entire rest of this week lol

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Zerg Mans posted:

developing a new heat map with colors only a mantis shrimp can see

Do we really need a color past "don't work outside" I guess we could also have "don't go outside". Actually yeah let's do that. We can join forces with the covid thread and create display panels that generate far uvc which can be used for this new label.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TehSaurus posted:

Do we really need a color past "don't work outside" I guess we could also have "don't go outside". Actually yeah let's do that. We can join forces with the covid thread and create display panels that generate far uvc which can be used for this new label.

:lol:

They'll never have a "don't go/work outside" level because it interferes with capital

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

They'll never have a "don't go/work outside" level because it interferes with capital

That's literally what black means on the wet bulb chart though. I think I saw it earlier in this thread but lord knows where. It's a military thing though which I guess explains why it's not framed from a workers are free (as in beer) angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We're getting thunderstorms tonight followed immediately by it hitting the mid-90's lol. Today sucks but at least it ain't tomorrow