Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Starting the post-game

:stare:

E: MOTHERFUCKER!

MOTHERFUCK!

UCHIKOSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Greg Chun is legitimately the best possible voice Date could have, and nothing else compares

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

post-game I wanna play 999 now, poo poo. It's been forever.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Replaying 999 and being reminded that Uchikosi writing uncomfortable horny jokes didn’t start with AI.

Also that he’s come a long way when it comes to writing characters and relationships.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 4, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nah that's always been a thing with him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Replaying 999 and being reminded that Uchikosi writing uncomfortable horny jokes didn’t start with AI.

Also that he’s come a long way when it comes to writing characters and relationships.

Seven: a guy with amnesia who looks scary

thats about it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I too wanted to play a good Uchikoshi game after playing AI:2, just for very different reasons as you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

With the sheer amount of references to it in Ai:Ni, I wouldn't be surprised if they're secretly developing a full on 3d remake of 999 for its 15 anniversary or something

:tinfoil:

Or maybe they'd wait for its' 18th anniversary

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Finished this today. Liked the characters and the somniums were a big improvement but the murder mystery was much weaker. A shame, because it's what I liked the most about the 1st game.

As I see it, there are 3 main problems with it:

1. There's no justification for the timeline being hosed up on the Mizuki side. Ryuki has brain problems and it makes sense he'd remember things in the wrong order but this is not the case for the 2 Mizukis. Mizuki's clone seems to exist for the sole purpose of making everything work.

2. The amount of contrivance in general is staggering. I already mentioned the Mizuki(s) problem, but then there's certain characters not aging, Boss hiding crucial information for no real reason, the AIs having no backup. Ryuki just suddenly being fine after the plot twist is revealed. As many people have noted, it's clear that they tried way too hard to make the twist work.

3. It is completely irrelevant for the resolution of the case. Mizuki is the one that solves it but she's already experiencing things in the correct order. Had Ryuki played a bigger role in the game, then him discovering his twisted timeline could have been the pivotal moment that leads to the case being solved, but he essentially stops mattering after the first half. Honestly, while I like Mizuki more as a character, it would have been much better for the mystery if you've also played as Ryuki on the Mizuki side of the double helix. Maybe he could've at least taken over the parts where you play as Bibi.

All in all, I still had fun in spite of that but I doubt it's gonna remain as memorable for me as the original.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KonvexKonkav posted:

1. There's no justification for the timeline being hosed up on the Mizuki side. Ryuki has brain problems and it makes sense he'd remember things in the wrong order but this is not the case for the 2 Mizukis. Mizuki's clone seems to exist for the sole purpose of making everything work.
I don't think this is supposed to be a twist for Mizuki in terms of being an unreliable POV even though Ryuki functions in that way, rather it's just the Uchikoshi Special of the player being misled about the narrative. The presumption being that if you replayed the game you'd notice that every time Mizuki steps into frame whatever side on the timeline you're in all of a sudden just makes more sense because to her there's nothing weird with the times of death or whatever.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think this is supposed to be a twist for Mizuki in terms of being an unreliable POV even though Ryuki functions in that way, rather it's just the Uchikoshi Special of the player being misled about the narrative. The presumption being that if you replayed the game you'd notice that every time Mizuki steps into frame whatever side on the timeline you're in all of a sudden just makes more sense because to her there's nothing weird with the times of death or whatever.

You're right and I don't like that the game is that way. The 1st game did a very good job of putting you in Date's shoes. At any time you pretty much had exactly the same information he would have had (if you take into account that he can remember stuff from parallel timelines). The way it's written here it's almost as if Mizuki is working against you, that she's withholding information from you. To put it in another way: The cyclops serial killer case was pretty confusing until you figured out the twist, but you had a fair chance of getting it out before the official reveal. Here it feels more like Uchikoshi's cheating.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

You're right and I don't like that the game is that way. The 1st game did a very good job of putting you in Date's shoes. At any time you pretty much had exactly the same information he would have had (if you take into account that he can remember stuff from parallel timelines). The way it's written here it's almost as if Mizuki is working against you, that she's withholding information from you. To put it in another way: The cyclops serial killer case was pretty confusing until you figured out the twist, but you had a fair chance of getting it out before the official reveal. Here it feels more like Uchikoshi's cheating.

The twist is that the player is also a character, the frayer, and that the timeline shenanigans were a way for the Tokiko/NAIX-godbeast to trick you into breaking reality and allow Tokiko to ascend to godhood. Just like ZTD where the twist is that Zero is waging war against you the player.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
It's why the final scenes of the game aren't even about Tearer or the HB case itself, the framing makes it seem like that's the main mystery of the game that needs to be solved/stopped, and for Mizuki that is what happens... But the real plot behind that is what's happening with the frayer poo poo, and Tokiko being the ultimate mastermind behind it, which Ryuki is much more involved with.

Ryuki stops mattering for the HB Case plot, but that's because that's fundamentally Mizuki's story, while the Frayer plot is Ryuki's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mizuki Chapter 2: I really overthought that letters puzzle after the one in Ryuki's Chapter 2, I kept looking for words and didn't realize it would be abbreviating something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

Mizuki Chapter 2: I really overthought that letters puzzle after the one in Ryuki's Chapter 2, I kept looking for words and didn't realize it would be abbreviating something.

It doesn't help that it's a reuse of a puzzle solution you never really used in the first place because the first puzzle literally told you the answer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having just finished, yeah I agree that there wasn't any narrative justification for Mizuki's side of the timeline being scrambled. It makes a lot of sense for Ryuki given that he's "stuck in the past" and obviously very confused, but it doesn't end up having much impact as a twist for him. It's weird because all the Mizuki scenes definitely "make sense" with the new timeline (in fact there's a lot of stuff that very obviously didn't fit when you first read the scenes), there's just really no reason they should've been shown in that order.

I'm kindof surprised they didn't use Aiba as the motivation - if she got her memories scrambled rather than just deleted that could've provided some motivation.

LostRook posted:

I imagine this game will be controversial as: ending spoiler like ZTD it makes the player a character and doesn't explain why it does that very much which makes the twist feel arbitrary.
I think this worked OK though, even if it's something Uchikoshi has tried multiple times before. Tokiko talks about how doing bizarre, inexplicable poo poo is what will cause the glitch to come about. On a metatextual level, the idea is presumably that you can only attract a "Frayer" by giving them something interesting to experience - afterall, you wouldn't play a game in which nothing happens. So she needs to create a bizarre mystery to attract a "Frayer" and execute her plan.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 4, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, I accidentally read part of a spoiler in this thread and thought I knew where the plot was going, but Mizuki Chapter 4 just blew me the gently caress out, I am completely loving lost now. Why are people talking about Komeji like he was just alive a few days ago!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Realized that Billy Kametz was in the game and also that this and Three Hopes on the same day were likely his last roles :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked AI2 a lot At first I couldn't forgive it for ruining the Date/Hitomi/Iris/Mizuki ending I imagined after AI1 but by the end Bigzuki and Littlezuki melted my cold cold heart. Besides, since this game has two good ending timelines that timeline is still out there somewhere too.

I liked how consistent the "two halves make a whole" theme was, with all the routes being pairs, two MIzukis, the intertwined timelines, etc. I liked how creative some of the somnium puzzles were. I loved minigun Kizuna. There were enough mysteries that, while I noticed all the signs something weird was going on (especially Mizuki not batting an eye when Date is suddenly alive again,) I didn't guess the timeline twist before it happened.

I did guess masked woman was either Mizuki, timeline-hopping Mizuki, or a clone of Mizuki almost immediately, thanks to her height and the way she talks. I didn't like how some of the puzzles were only puzzles at all because the game refused to show all the evidence on screen at the same time. Mostly that ridiculous music note one with like 9 digits.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Realized that Billy Kametz was in the game and also that this and Three Hopes on the same day were likely his last roles :smith:

read Kagami's file when you get a second

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I saw that too.

Thinking on it, (ending) I don't think the dance party ending hit me as hard this time, because the first time it was just so genuinely unexpected and it felt like such a catharsis after the absolute trial the characters had just been through in the endgame. This time, it starts to feel like it's just a tradition and it feels less special. Plus the endgame wasn't nearly as harrowing. I still liked it though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As someone that enjoyed the Requisite Goofy Pop Song of this game it still toed the line on being overplayed a little by the end.

But then I couldn't stay mad at it when they put a whole lot of effort into making a special dance number for Lien carrying Kizzy and dancing for her. It's just too cute and wholesome.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm having an issue where some of the models are not visible, some of the textures are offset and then in one of the scenes the whole background is just white.
I can't find anyone else having any graphical issues with the game so I'm really not sure what to do.
I tried updating the GPU drives, but that didn't change anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, verifying game files solved the issues for the first time ever.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 5, 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Parts of Mizuki's hair on her model were fairly consistently exploding out at random angles in the endgame for me which was mostly amusing.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As someone that enjoyed the Requisite Goofy Pop Song of this game it still toed the line on being overplayed a little by the end.

But then I couldn't stay mad at it when they put a whole lot of effort into making a special dance number for Lien carrying Kizzy and dancing for her. It's just too cute and wholesome.

Uchikoshi is 2/2 on making me start a game hating the Requisite Goofy Pop Song and having me dig it by the end through sheer bloody-minded persistence

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Without you I'm only half

I need to be whooooooooole

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mizuki Chapter 5 M3: Yeah, okay, this is some uncut Uchikoshi

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

endgame(?)/cut content: Important Marco content

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished the game.

I should probably be upset about the central timeline twist, because it's definitely kind of cheating and lying to the player, but I don't really care. It feels like a twist from Zero Time Dilemma but better-executed because that twist was ultimately kind of meaningless and this one changes pretty much everything. It seriously blew my mind. Okay, I was a little annoyed and disoriented by switching between two different Mizukis, but I got over it pretty quick. On the other hand, the implication that Ryuki lost himself between timelines (at least, I think that's what happened with losing Shoma in the Ferris wheel after Komeji's death) was cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think at this point, you just have to accept a little convolution from the man.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arist posted:

Finished the game.

I should probably be upset about the central timeline twist, because it's definitely kind of cheating and lying to the player, but I don't really care. It feels like a twist from Zero Time Dilemma but better-executed because that twist was ultimately kind of meaningless and this one changes pretty much everything. It seriously blew my mind. Okay, I was a little annoyed and disoriented by switching between two different Mizukis, but I got over it pretty quick. On the other hand, the implication that Ryuki lost himself between timelines (at least, I think that's what happened with losing Shoma in the Ferris wheel after Komeji's death) was cool.

There isnt really anything to suggest Ryuki is confused about what is happening when. In the past he ended up talking to Shoma (its talked about how he did see shoma that day) and in the future he is tripping balls on TC-perge

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paul Zuvella posted:

There isnt really anything to suggest Ryuki is confused about what is happening when. In the past he ended up talking to Shoma (its talked about how he did see shoma that day) and in the future he is tripping balls on TC-perge

Huh, I distinctly remember after Ryuki chases Shoma to Misetan, Shoma disappears from the Ferris wheel after the chapter transition. Maybe I misread something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arist posted:

Huh, I distinctly remember after Ryuki chases Shoma to Misetan, Shoma disappears from the Ferris wheel after the chapter transition. Maybe I misread something.

Ryuki chases him to the ferris wheel 6 years ago. The chapter transitions, and then we see the Ferris wheel empty 6 years in the future. Ryuki doesnt stop existing after we stop observing him in the past; Shoma just got off the ferris wheel like normal; we just dont get to see it. Its purposfully misleading to prop up the twist. Same with Bibi and Lien going into the underground room, and then immediatly cutting to Mizuki and Lien going into the same room 6 years in the future.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ryuki chases him to the ferris wheel 6 years ago. The chapter transitions, and then we see the Ferris wheel empty 6 years in the future. Ryuki doesnt stop existing after we stop observing him in the past; Shoma just got off the ferris wheel like normal; we just dont get to see it.

We know from Side: Mizuki that what actually happens 6 years ago is that Ryuki and Shoma find Komeji's body on the stage, and Ryuki takes Shoma to the hospital, while in the present just slightly before that Mizuki and Masked Woman meet up with Ryuki and find him just staring at the ferris wheel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ryuki chases him to the ferris wheel 6 years ago. The chapter transitions, and then we see the Ferris wheel empty 6 years in the future. Ryuki doesnt stop existing after we stop observing him in the past; Shoma just got off the ferris wheel like normal; we just dont get to see it. Its purposfully misleading to prop up the twist. Same with Bibi and Lien going into the underground room, and then immediatly cutting to Mizuki and Lien going into the same room 6 years in the future.

Right, but my point is that Ryuki reacts as if Shoma had just been on the Ferris wheel, even after the transition, at least to my recollection. I'll review the scene later and see if I misinterpreted something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arist posted:

Right, but my point is that Ryuki reacts as if Shoma had just been on the Ferris wheel, even after the transition, at least to my recollection. I'll review the scene later and see if I misinterpreted something.

Yes, because he is having a TC-Perge episode and halicunated him going on the ferris wheel, or at least we can assume he did. There is nothing to suggest it happened because of what occured 6 years ago.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Arist posted:

Ryuki's perception of time is very hosed up and whenever he's in the present his memories line up with the frayer (read:player) until the end of the timeline.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Polderjoch posted:

Ryuki's perception of time is very hosed up and whenever he's in the present his memories line up with the frayer (read:player) until the end of the timeline.

Based on what. There is nothing in the text of the game that even comes close to suggesting this

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Paul Zuvella posted:

Based on what. There is nothing in the text of the game that even comes close to suggesting this

The thing I just said, Ryuki having a freakout over realising he can't possibly know both "dahlia" and "boat", forgetting about Komeji being dead for years only when under the player's control, and then the general theme of Ryuki being affected and semi-aware of the frayer which spans like, literally the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The scene I believe they're remembering is when the Mizukis discover the fake missile at the Misetan Amusement Park. They run into Ryuki standing there in a daze and when they question what he's up to he's somewhat despondent and just says he's "waiting for it to come down". This is exactly what's happening when he's pursuing Shoma and the kid gets on the ferris wheel and is just suddenly gone from existence once his carriage makes it back down.